Hydaelyn Role-Players
"Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" (/showthread.php?tid=7495)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

"Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Berrod Armstrong - 06-26-2014

Is there anyone else guilty of this? Mine is due for a serious update since Berrod has been back from his trip for more than a month now. I have some of the stuff typed out, but it's just to DOOOO IIIITTTT.

What about you guys? How many of you are long overdue for a wiki update on your characters?

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Melodia - 06-26-2014

Me....but my page is terrible. I don't understand how to make it look decent like some folks or even close to awesome, like others. The template is nice but I don't understand formatting stuff to make it a workable page. Cry

So I tend to neglect it as a result.

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Dogberry - 06-26-2014

I will gladly update anyone's wiki for them if they want me to.

Whether or not any of the updates will have anything to do with their character or the actual events they've gone through is an entirely different matter.

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Whittledown - 06-26-2014

I went through this when I brought Hornet back. Her old wiki was hideous and I had to just buckle down and do it. What I did was do a little at a time while I was at work. I still have to write out her history sections but once I was done with the major update I've found it much easier to stay on top of it.

I have to say thanks again to Gharen for helping me out with it, he got me the template I used and answered all of my questions.

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Kage - 06-26-2014

Me! I also need to learn how to be concise. I tend to want to re-cap EVERYTHING in my wiki and so it turns out huge.

And also very long to try and update.

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Coatleque - 06-26-2014

I update mine at least weekly. I like events to stay up-to-date.

Regarding templates, if anyone is confused just look for a basic primer on HTML and CSS. This site, W3Schools, has wealth of information for free. You can get around most formatting if you just copy someone else's template [[ 1.) edit their page, 2.) copy / paste everything to notepad, 3.) cancel changes so you dont' actually change anything ]]. Then you can spruce it up with HTML in between.

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Warren Castille - 06-26-2014

I've evaded this trap by not having anything worthwhile on my wiki page. I do update my Grindstone entry every week, though.

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Melodia - 06-26-2014

(06-26-2014, 09:10 AM)Coatleque Wrote: I update mine at least weekly.  I like events to stay up-to-date.

Regarding templates, if anyone is confused just look for a basic primer on HTML and CSS.  This site, W3Schools, has wealth of information for free.  You can get around most formatting if you just copy someone else's template [[ 1.) edit their page, 2.) copy / paste everything to notepad, 3.) cancel changes so you dont' actually change anything ]].  Then you can spruce it up with HTML in between.
*Offers bribe* Help meeeee on my page! LOL!

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Aerostein - 06-26-2014

Oh I know, right?
I've gotten real lazy about it for the past month or so, just now starting to update everything again. My fault for letting it get like that though. ^^

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Eva - 06-26-2014

I've been dragging my feet on this for probably well over a year now. I keep going back to: "if someone wants to know more about my character they should try to seek me out for some RP and not peruse a page filled with spoilers" so in some ways I favor keeping it kind of minimalist. There's a lot of spoilers and other stuff besides. That said, I think I'm probably going to cave and overhaul my wiki page soon anyway. XD

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Rosekitten - 06-26-2014

I try to update after anything important or major really.. though I don't really actively go out seeking large scale events either so ic'ly thing stay a bit quite Tongue (im ok with this because i was rushing on maxing my crafting classes anyway). 

Not really in any rush to update the page if something does happen though. I think I'm the main one who looks at it anyway xD

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Warren Castille - 06-26-2014

I've been debating overhauling my page a bit; I'm not crazy about the layout and some of it feels redundant. A friend commented it looks like a Monster Manual entry for Warren and while that immediately made me happy, I realize that's maybe not the compliment I took it as.

My primary issue is that Warren hasn't been involved with much in the open world; All of my RP to this point has been fluffy light-conversation with all of the meat happening in private and away from the view of everyone else. I've been in emotionally abusive relationships with GMs in the past and tend to keep my backstory on lockdown to avoid things that aren't known from coming up to bite me. It's a trust issue I'm well aware of (so if you know jack about Warren that isn't on his page, consider that a high compliment!) but recently I've been a bit more involved.

I'll mull it over, which is Warren-speak for "I'll do it eventually when I'm not lazy." He's going through some big issues right now that'll maybe finally cause him to grow as a person. Pain is growth!

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Coatleque - 06-26-2014

You feel that? That's called pain. It means you're still alive.

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Oscare - 06-26-2014

Why do you haunt me with the fact that I still need to make a wiki for Oscare? @_@ I need to get on this boat faster. But laaaazzzzzinesssss.

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Jancis - 06-26-2014

I think my main focus on Jancis' wiki page is that, ultimately, it's for me.

I keep it mostly as a list of facts and notes (written in semi story form) of things I have to remember for her.

Keeping it short helps out a lot and makes it easy to keep updated. As long as I don't think of it as a storyboard it's manageable.