Hydaelyn Role-Players
"Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" (/showthread.php?tid=7495)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Atoli - 01-07-2015

(01-07-2015, 02:20 PM)Y Wrote: I've just posted a Work in Progress wiki for Y'lani, complete with a tag for broken file links. How do you update the tags, anyway?

Yep, that's because you have files set in place in the code for pictures that don't exist! Once you swap those out for real files, you won't be tagged for that anymore. You can add tags by doing this:

Show Content

at the very bottom of the page!

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - FreelanceWizard - 01-07-2015

Just so everyone knows, if you use the Infobox template, you automagically get categories added for server, race, clan, and citizenship. I know the Infobox isn't everyone's cup of tea, but you don't have to worry about categorization if you put it somewhere on your page.

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Inessa Hara - 01-07-2015

I tried to update my wiki for Inessa around six months ago. Ended up only finishing it halfway. Next break from school I get, need to sit down and overhaul the whole thing.

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Y'lani - 01-07-2015

(01-07-2015, 03:05 PM)Atoline Wrote:
(01-07-2015, 02:20 PM)Y Wrote: I've just posted a Work in Progress wiki for Y'lani, complete with a tag for broken file links. How do you update the tags, anyway?

Yep, that's because you have files set in place in the code for pictures that don't exist! Once you swap those out for real files, you won't be tagged for that anymore. You can add tags by doing this:

Show Content

at the very bottom of the page!

That's exactly what I needed! Thanks!

(01-07-2015, 03:57 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: Just so everyone knows, if you use the Infobox template, you automagically get categories added for server, race, clan, and citizenship. I know the Infobox isn't everyone's cup of tea, but you don't have to worry about categorization if you put it somewhere on your page.
Thank you! The infobox would look very odd on the template I'm using, but it's a great thing to know should I choose to have any future characters.

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Nylesa - 01-07-2015

You know, I thought about the last time I updated mine and... holy shit, it's been like since July since I've updated. Plz halp sos.

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Cato - 01-07-2015

I finally got around to creating a profile for one of my characters:

https://wiki.ffxiv-roleplayers.com/pages/User:Graeham_Ridgefield

It's pretty light on precise details since I enjoy keeping things fairly vague to avoid spoiling too much in advance. Though I plan to expand the profile over time as he interacts with other characters in-game.

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Gegenji - 01-16-2015

Just updated a good chunk of my wiki again thanks to seeing a really neat infobox on someone else's page.

It started out with just that and then I just started making more changes. Altering the layout a little, fleshing out his background more, and adding even more of the folks he's met as a sort of impromptu little black book so I can check to see who he knows and who he doesn't.

Not to mention I'm tempted to go through my screenshots again when I get home and expand on that gallery a bit as well. Oh, and replace the mugshot with that awesome art piece I commissioned from Berrod.

... I just really want it to look nice. Blush

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Caspar - 01-16-2015

(01-16-2015, 04:37 PM)Gegenji Wrote: Just updated a good chunk of my wiki again thanks to seeing a really neat infobox on someone else's page.

It started out with just that and then I just started making more changes. Altering the layout a little, fleshing out his background more, and adding even more of the folks he's met as a sort of impromptu little black book so I can check to see who he knows and who he doesn't.

Not to mention I'm tempted to go through my screenshots again when I get home and expand on that gallery a bit as well. Oh, and replace the mugshot with that awesome art piece I commissioned from Berrod.

zomg I gotta copy him too the stat block is so cool.

... But, even though I did it, I can't seem to change the colors in the stat block. So the title and items are invisible... (>_<)

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Gegenji - 01-16-2015

(01-16-2015, 05:26 PM)Caspar Wrote:
(01-16-2015, 04:37 PM)Gegenji Wrote: Just updated a good chunk of my wiki again thanks to seeing a really neat infobox on someone else's page.

zomg I gotta copy him too the stat block is so cool.

... But, even though I did it, I can't seem to change the colors in the stat block. So the title and items are invisible... (>_<Wink

Ah, I know the problem. Citizenship is what sets the colors and the banners. I originally had "Doma" as mine and it didn't work until I changed it to "Ul'dah." Yours is "None yet" so it doesn't load. Even if you change it later, I think setting it to one of the three cities should fix your problem.

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Jariana - 01-16-2015

(01-16-2015, 06:56 PM)Gegenji Wrote: Ah, I know the problem. Citizenship is what sets the colors and the banners. I originally had "Doma" as mine and it didn't work until I changed it to "Ul'dah." Yours is "None yet" so it doesn't load. Even if you change it later, I think setting it to one of the three cities should fix your problem.

Just as a fun little sidenote to this, there seems to be other options for Citizenship other than the three starter cities that have color schemes and graphics associated with them. I can't find a good way to list them out (other than going here and picking through the ones that seem valid) but if you're playing something like an Ishgardian, Ala Mhigan, or Sharlayan those work as well.

No Doma (Domian?) for Chachanji though... Cry

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Caspar - 01-16-2015

Aw man. Well thanks for the advice anyway. Maybe Garlean should technically be used as Doma is part of Garlemald. Seems kinda insensitive haha.

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - FreelanceWizard - 01-17-2015

Technical stuff ahoy!

The LanInfoBox template, just like Infobox-character, uses a cool "behind the scenes" template called Citizenship-switch. If you look at its documentation (linked), it'll list off all the supported citizenships. Citizenship-switch also drives the autocategorization function of templates related to or derived from Infobox-character.

Doma isn't currently supported by Citizenship-switch, so the template falls back to the "default" option. It's not that hard to add Doma in, but it would require changes to Citizenship-switch, Citizenship-logo (which is where the logos come from), and templates that use those (so they correctly specify what to do when "Doma" is specified). It's nothing against Doma; we don't have Thavnairia or Meracydia, either. Smile Infobox-character uses the default fallback of Citizenship-switch to provide a generic grey background with no logo for the header if you specify a citizenship it can't parse. It looks like LanInfoBox does something similar, at least in the header, but I haven't read the entire template, so I can't comment on what else it does. Smile

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Roen - 01-18-2015

I followed Xydane's example and actually listed in order Roen's story threads in her Wiki page. It is actually helping ME locate them. Rolleyes

AND I added a very lovely art piece that I commissioned for Roen and Nero's current arc. I must say I was quite pleased with it. Smile

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Moonlit - 01-18-2015

I know these feels. Oh gosh do I know these feels so well. 

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Kamome - 01-20-2015

[Double Post]