Hydaelyn Role-Players
observing RP - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: observing RP (/showthread.php?tid=7530)

Pages: 1 2 3

observing RP - Aduu Avagnar - 06-30-2014

I was wondering on peoples thoughts on observing other peoples roleplay, I am personally of the thoughts that if it is in say then it is typically public and if I am out of the way not interfering or distracting then it isn't much of an issue, as if it was private it would be done in party.

opinions?

RE: observing RP - Dogberry - 06-30-2014

One of my favorite things to do is go to crowded places where people RP, usually the Quicksand, and observe people RP. It's interesting to me, the choices people make with their characters and how they choose to react to certain situations. And sometimes something crazy or funny happens, and it's worth a good laugh. Not at anyone's expense, of course. Just sometimes us RPers are god damn hilarious.

RE: observing RP - Warren Castille - 06-30-2014

I wouldn't worry too much about it seeming impolite or anything. Some of us have made our careers out of being serial eavesdroppers.

For your security, citizen!

RE: observing RP - Berrod Armstrong - 06-30-2014

Most things that are written are at some point meant to be read, and roleplay is no exception! People who would rather participate in private scenes typically take them to private channels, so scenes done in /say are often fair game for observation. Lots of people actually enjoy having their stuff read by others! I know I have a grand time just having my toon stand around to eavesdrop on nearby conversations while I take in the bigger scope of things (including the things that Berrod can't see or hear, but I can because of say range). 

There's sometimes a wariness about observers due to the fear of metagaming -- if a player's toon is camped out near a scene out of character and ends up using knowledge gleaned from the interaction in character later. That's always going to be a very small risk in some circumstances, but it doesn't make observing impolite at all! Just make sure to remember what has been seen/heard out of character as opposed to what  has been seen/heard in character and treat them accordingly. 

Observe to your heart's content!

RE: observing RP - Kage - 06-30-2014

I observe a lot. ICly and OOCly. However I do very much strive to keep it that if my character is out running about as a BLM that I don't use that knowledge ever IC. I may joke about it OOCly but I work really hard to keep that out of IC RP.

In fact for a long time my character's IC actions -were- just observing people in Quicksand.

RE: observing RP - Zaiaku - 06-30-2014

(06-30-2014, 07:09 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: I wouldn't worry too much about it seeming impolite or anything. Some of us have made out careers out of being serial eavesdroppers.

For your security, citizen!
Guilty as charged. When I don't feel like leveling or not rping myself. I like to stand around and watch others rping.

RE: observing RP - Ciel - 06-30-2014

I peoplewatch in the Quicksand all the time.  It's enabled some interesting interactions which wouldn't be had otherwise, and a lot of people don't mind another walk-up interaction.

RE: observing RP - Oscare - 06-30-2014

Watching RP isn't something you should be nervous of at all. A lot of people do it, even if you don't think it. Sometimes, you may never even know who might have been around the corner, eavesdropping. 

Sometimes, I'd like to think that RP watching has led to more interesting RPs than actually participating. It's a strange kind of magic.

RE: observing RP - Aya - 06-30-2014

If its in a public channel it can be overheard!  (though if they're specifically emoting something as quiet, whispered, subtle, etc, then it is best to act as if it had not been noticed or heard IC).  Observe, interact, have fun! ^_^

RE: observing RP - Aya - 06-30-2014

(06-30-2014, 09:20 AM)Ciel Wrote: ...and a lot of people don't mind another walk-up interaction.
I have made an entire IC career out of this truth! ^^

RE: observing RP - Berrod Armstrong - 06-30-2014

(06-30-2014, 11:17 AM)Oscare Wrote: Watching RP isn't something you should be nervous of at all. A lot of people do it, even if you don't think it. Sometimes, you may never even know who might have been around the corner, eavesdropping. 

Sometimes, I'd like to think that RP watching has led to more interesting RPs than actually participating. It's a strange kind of magic.
OSCARE WOULD KNOW.

RE: observing RP - Oscare - 06-30-2014

(06-30-2014, 11:25 AM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote:
(06-30-2014, 11:17 AM)Oscare Wrote: Watching RP isn't something you should be nervous of at all. A lot of people do it, even if you don't think it. Sometimes, you may never even know who might have been around the corner, eavesdropping. 

OSCARE WOULD KNOW.
SHHHHHHHHHHH.
IT'S NOT MY FAULT OSCARE IS A NOSY LITTLE SON OF A GUN.
HUNTERS NEED TO KNOW THESE THINGS.
GAWD, BERROD.

RE: observing RP - llamamaiden - 06-30-2014

If there is someone I know I want to RP with in the future, I prefer to watch them RP for awhile before approaching them so that I can get a feel for their style. When scouting I will still act IC but I almost never use the information gathered. I only use the information given when people were specifically interacting with me or if something happened that logically would have caught the attention of everyone present like a brawl or someone shouting. If I am actively RPing, I view information as fair game, within reason. I will ignore conversations around me if I am caught up in my own or if I feel like the distance between me on the character is too great to reasonably hear it just like IRL.

RE: observing RP - Miza - 06-30-2014

I love watching RP! Especially when I'm eating. It's almost like watching a TV show. It's also a good way to feel out the community and see if you can find any like-minded RPers.

RE: observing RP - Nyx Ashkala - 06-30-2014

I don't mind people observing me as I'm usually RPing with my fiance. Sometimes when I'm working on commissions, I will log in and watch people RP on my second monitor and it's quite entertaining.

However, the problem I have run into once already are people watching my RP and scouting for someone to ERP with. My fiance and I were just doing a back and forth thing in the Quicksand and he had a female approach him privately about how she'd like to get to know his character better because she thought he was cute despite the fact that it was very obvious our characters were 'hitting it off'.

That's the only time I have an issue really.