Hydaelyn Role-Players
"Weaving" the Vanya Robe of Healing/Casting IRL - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Resources (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: Artisan House (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: "Weaving" the Vanya Robe of Healing/Casting IRL (/showthread.php?tid=7680)

Pages: 1 2

"Weaving" the Vanya Robe of Healing/Casting IRL - Tayelle - 07-16-2014

I hope it's okay to post this, as I think cosplay is considered a form of art, just with fabric and a lot more cuss words >.>

I thought others would enjoy seeing the progress I've been making on recreating my Miqo'te's favorite set of robes to wear in real life!... Only I don't have enough materia socketed to make this in five minutes like we can do in the game  *cough cough*

[Image: 1405288215_20140713_164348.jpg]

It's been a lot of work, let me tell you that now. ;_; I'm hoping to have it all done and ready to go this weekend. I've actually made a BUNCH more progress on the robes since I took this picture, including more appliques, snaps, dying wigs with sharpie markers and crazy things like punching holes into a belt with a corkscrew because I didn't have a hammer and nail on hand seeing that I'm residing in a hotel at the moment.

[Image: tumblr_n8rplbTKMA1ro59z5o4_1280.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_n89oai7qWv1ttx1lho2_400.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_n8rplbTKMA1ro59z5o6_1280.jpg]

[Image: N6kPDqp.png]

This is Tayelle, for those of you who don't know. ^_^ While I won't have Eos with me in time for this convention, along with a very few details (like my Zenith book), I will have a backup grimoire and or a purse that actually looks like a book, haha!

I didn't want to spam everyone with a ton of progress pictures, so if you'd like to see more of them, I have been posting them on my FF14 tumblr: http://finaltay.tumblr.com

I hope you guys enjoyed it so far! I'm excited, but really nervous about it!

RE: "Weaving" the Vanya Robe of Healing/Casting IRL - LiadansWhisper - 07-16-2014

It looks amazing! Smile  Great job! Big Grin

RE: "Weaving" the Vanya Robe of Healing/Casting IRL - Rinette - 07-16-2014

Wow. That's beautiful! I'll have to check out your tumblr later when I have more time. It looks great so far.

RE: "Weaving" the Vanya Robe of Healing/Casting IRL - Nebbs - 07-16-2014

That is great! And seeing some of the "making of" shots is really nice.

A cosplay loom would have pushed me over the edge Smile

RE: "Weaving" the Vanya Robe of Healing/Casting IRL - McBeefâ„¢ - 07-16-2014

As others have said, holy hell, that's beautiful.

RE: "Weaving" the Vanya Robe of Healing/Casting IRL - Vali - 07-16-2014

Said it before, I'll say it again that robe is coming along nicely Tay

RE: "Weaving" the Vanya Robe of Healing/Casting IRL - Tayelle - 07-16-2014

Blush Thank you guys, very very much. I really appreciate it! I'm hoping to finish it today. I'm presently sealing the craft foam armor pieces in a weird school glue/ fabric glue/ and water mix (via this tutorial so that it will hold the rub and buff in time for this Saturday.

[Image: 1405439356_20140715_104345.jpg]
As per usual, I HAVE NO IDEA WTF I'M DOING Frustrated

((whoops, forgot the picture of the foam belt thing, hopefully it works now other wise here's the link- http://assets.enjin.com/wall_embed_images/1405439356_20140715_104345.jpg ))

RE: "Weaving" the Vanya Robe of Healing/Casting IRL - Tiergan - 07-17-2014

Awesome!!

RE: "Weaving" the Vanya Robe of Healing/Casting IRL - Mae - 07-17-2014

... Wow. 

And even more 'wow' just on the point you're making this in a hotel. Were you able to get a little sewing machine in there with you, or is this all hand sewn/Liquid Hem'd?

RE: "Weaving" the Vanya Robe of Healing/Casting IRL - Tayelle - 07-17-2014

(07-17-2014, 04:08 PM)Mae Wrote: ... Wow. 

And even more 'wow' just on the point you're making this in a hotel. Were you able to get a little sewing machine in there with you, or is this all hand sewn/Liquid Hem'd?
I brought my Singer Confidence machine with me to the hotel along with bags upon bags of fabric/materials, my iron from home (don't trust hotel irons with crepe back satin), etc. etc. Thankfully there was a Hobby Lobby a few blocks down the road for the things I forgot. This weekend is the convention I'm wearing this to- while it's not "perfect" just yet, I'm using this as a trial run to see if it can stay together. I'll likely post some more pictures come Saturday :3 (completed pictures, not just random bits lol)

Thank you guys for your input, seriously!

RE: "Weaving" the Vanya Robe of Healing/Casting IRL - Tayelle - 07-22-2014

*flails about* I just had my first trial run of the Vanya Robes of Healing at San Japan this weekend. While there are things I want to make sure I fix/change/add, nothing fell apart on me! (though the foam on the belt got a bit banged up- I plan to remake it with worbla before September) Here's some pictures via my hubby's cell phone for now. How did it turn out? ^_^
[Image: tumblr_n90wquPwzf1ttx1lho7_1280.jpg]
[Image: tumblr_n90wquPwzf1ttx1lho3_1280.jpg]
[Image: tumblr_n90wquPwzf1ttx1lho5_1280.jpg]
[Image: tumblr_n90wquPwzf1ttx1lho1_1280.jpg]
[Image: tumblr_n90wquPwzf1ttx1lho2_1280.jpg] (I took my heels off by this point and swapped to flats because my little feet couldn't handle the incline of heels any more, lol)

the rest of the 12 pictures I have from his phone are on the tumblr mentioned previously, but by September the ears should look much better, the wig will have the ends curled under and the details I skipped before will be added >_< I should have a Tonberry costume for my husband as well ^_^Tonberry

RE: "Weaving" the Vanya Robe of Healing/Casting IRL - Aerghwab - 07-22-2014

Awesome job. Big Grin

RE: "Weaving" the Vanya Robe of Healing/Casting IRL - synaesthetic - 07-22-2014

You should consider wearing a long petticoat underneath the robe to give it the appropriate poof. Big Grin

RE: "Weaving" the Vanya Robe of Healing/Casting IRL - Mae - 07-22-2014

Seconded for the petticoat. My only other little nit-pick would be the collar -- I think it could benefit from some (or maybe a bit more) batting to give it some rigidity. 

Other than that, it came out awesome.

RE: "Weaving" the Vanya Robe of Healing/Casting IRL - Rinette - 07-22-2014

You look adorable! Oh my gosh those ears! I just want to touch them. :3

A petticoat would step it up a notch though. It still looks amazing though.