Hydaelyn Role-Players
Rebooting an Alt - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Rebooting an Alt (/showthread.php?tid=7688)

Rebooting an Alt - Melodia - 07-17-2014

Okay, so I am considering using my alt Melodiafor the Yellowjackets in Limsa. Problem is I introduced her here on the forums as a sadistic killer villain. But only briefly. I only barely got to rp with her in game once for maybe 15 minutes before that ended abruptly.

So my question is, can I reboot her? Start fresh and let the stuff that was just be done? She really is unusable as is and with this stuff I'd like to just start over with her, but I don't know how you all feel about that. Thoughts?

And I mean a full on reboot, fanatasia and all.

RE: Rebooting an Alt - Melkire - 07-17-2014

Unless you've already hit 50 with her, which represents quite a bit of investment, I'd actually recommend starting with a brand new character.

If you've already invested in her heavily (hit 50, got gear, have vanity/glamour, etc.) then it shouldn't be a problem to reboot her, fantasia and all. Depending on how memorable said introduction was, you may get a few raised eyebrows here and there, but likely no more than that.

RE: Rebooting an Alt - Berrod Armstrong - 07-17-2014

She's your character, of course you can! Just let people you've roleplayed with know what's going on and go right ahead!

RE: Rebooting an Alt - Warren Castille - 07-17-2014

Rock on wit' yer' bad self, Ruru. If the character only existed for one scene and one post, fire those retconcannons at full power.

RE: Rebooting an Alt - Whittledown - 07-17-2014

(07-17-2014, 01:33 PM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote: She's your character, of course you can! Just let people you've roleplayed with know what's going on and go right ahead!

This right here.

RE: Rebooting an Alt - FreelanceWizard - 07-17-2014

Conceptually, sure, you can do whatever you want, it being your character. However, it's worth considering other RPers in the equation. It sounds like the character played only a bit role in one or two scenes; in that case, there's no real significance to a retcon, and it should be no big deal. You may want to check with those involved, though, to make sure that what seemed like a small role to you wasn't actually a big deal to them.

EDIT: Oh, yes, and do verify that your FC doesn't have specific rules for handling retcons. I know Mysterium and a few other RP FCs have specific procedures on retcons to ensure that continuity is maintained. You wouldn't want to blow the character up and end up with your FC leader pulling you aside for a "chat." Smile

RE: Rebooting an Alt - Melodia - 07-17-2014

(07-17-2014, 01:49 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: Conceptually, sure, you can do whatever you want, it being your character. However, it's worth considering other RPers in the equation. It sounds like the character played only a bit role in one or two scenes; in that case, there's no real significance to a retcon, and it should be no big deal. You may want to check with those involved, though, to make sure that what seemed like a small role to you wasn't actually a big deal to them.

EDIT: Oh, yes, and do verify that your FC doesn't have specific rules for handling retcons. I know Mysterium and a few other RP FCs have specific procedures on retcons to ensure that continuity is maintained. You wouldn't want to blow the character up and end up with your FC leader pulling you aside for a "chat." Smile
Thank you. And yeah...even the other person probably forgot the scene it was that short and he ended up getting interrupted with rl isues. So likely not a big deal.

And our FC...LOL....I last logged in with her about 50+ days ago? I think when I do log in they will all be like "Yay a new person!" Tongue

RE: Rebooting an Alt - Kage - 07-17-2014

If I remember correctly, you've only had one in-game scene with her and you were a little discouraged from other RP outside of it because people found the character to be a bitch...?

Other scenes were the journal for Nonotano and well that doesn't involve other RPers. In which case, I'd say reboot her. If x person says "isn't that the name of so and so from the journals?" you can always just say it's a coincidence or that you rerolled her into something completely different.

I would let the one other know just in case they still were interested in developing something with her eventually.

Kage, you are correct. And yeah....lol she really is unplayable. Besides....if anyone asked, I could say "Nahhh same name,  but the one you're thinking of... she got killed by a little red haired Lala if recall." Wink

RE: Rebooting an Alt - Kage - 07-17-2014

Thumbsup

Full steam ahead I'd say. Just yeah make sure you see if that plot will ever come to fruit (but considering how long it's been... probably not xD)

(07-17-2014, 02:17 PM)ExKage Wrote: Thumbsup

Full steam ahead I'd say. Just yeah make sure you see if that plot will ever come to fruit (but considering how long it's been... probably not xD)
If Denn even remembers her I'd be shocked. XD