Hydaelyn Role-Players
... heehee, what do we have here? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: ... heehee, what do we have here? (/showthread.php?tid=8149)

... heehee, what do we have here? - SayonaraRevival - 09-02-2014

A NEW PERSON. a new princess. I'm Emi, and I'm casually transferring from Excalibur over to Balmung; just got the "transfer complete!" email, so I'll be good to go as soon as I pick a name, I think.

currently I've only had FFXIV for two weeks and am just a level 23 conjurer. lmao. I'll eventually get to that white mage job. eventually...

-- MMORPG background.

I first started in Rift; as a Defiler (some kind of 'death'-element healer). that was fun. and then I went to GW2 as a necromancer. I'm only a hobbyist and thus I have actually never hit the level cap in an MMO, sobs.

sadly, neither of those RP communities stuck with me for long... (the former because of sudden lack of good computer, and the latter because I never really got into the RP groove to begin with aka found no one I meshed with really well.)

-- RP experience.

9-ish years? I started on Neopets when I was... 13 I think. so now it's kind of funny seeing all those teenagers on my usual TWEWY Tumblr RP blogs thinking they're so cool with their long, flowery prose. and then I'm just like. "whatever floats your boat, but I'm gonna go with something less verbose."

-- Character ideas/info.

if you recognize the pose of my avatar, good on you! I'm tossing a few ideas around on how my white mage / conjurer / keeper of the moon is going to be personality-wise, but I'm heavily leaning on a closet violent streak. even if it might be limited to "ah yes insult me and my friends more! ahahaha... hahaha!" before hitting the insulter with one hefty Stone spell.

... does that even make sense?

so far my name idea that may or may not be completely lore compliant is Aisa Jinjahl aka "Asten". oh my GOD I can't stand the majority of mi'qote names )': picking that much was difficult.

-- How did you learn about the coalition?

Google, tbh. I also have a friend from an old Golden Sun forum I used to go to that plays FFXIV on Balmung that I will probably play with soon.

-- What kind of a role-player are you aiming to be? Light, medium, or heavy?

light to medium. I am a working princess. this kingdom cannot be sustained on loyal subjects alone. (plus I have like 5 twewy Tumblr RP blogs as mentioned before and that tends to get crazy too.)

also there's that I'm not exactly playing on a gaming computer... so the graphics are down somewhat, and I try to keep my playtime to 2 hours per session maximum. would love to make myself a tumblr for non-ingame RP!
-- especially because I haven't checked out the emote list seriously since the first quest.

-- Anything from real life you'€™re comfortable with sharing? (Work, school, hobbies, etc)

I work at a thrift shop, but my name's not Macklemore. it is a Goodwill. it is only a temporary job but I have no idea what to do with my life so it is my job until further notice.

other than that I draw dumb anime things and yes I did my own avatar but it is traced because I'm trash and didn't feel much like redrawing from scratch. I play bass guitar sometimes, and I also kind of like to write fanfics. I'm a fandom nerrrrd, too, and my main fandom at the moment is the twice-mentioned TWEWY, because wow favorite square-enix game oh man.

I think that is everything I feel like saying for right now! will be online a while longer. hope to see some of you ingame when I eventually roll on over to play again o:

RE: ... heehee, what do we have here? - Nero - 09-02-2014

Your avatar reference. I see it. 

Beware of yandere.

Welcome to the RPC! Hope you'll enjoy your stay here. Big Grin

RE: ... heehee, what do we have here? - Unnamed Mercenary - 09-02-2014

"Yukki~!"

Love the avatar, and welcome to the RPC! Depending on where you'll find RP you like, I hope our characters can meet. ...there might be a little smidge of masochism in Franz. ...just a little.

If you've got any plot ideas, feel free to PM me here/in-game anytime. There's almost always a way to get a plot to work!

RE: ... heehee, what do we have here? - Faye - 09-02-2014

Hey there, welcome to Balmung! Big Grin I actually started out my RP days nearly a decade ago on Neopets as well bwahaha. I also love TWEWY! Feel free to say hello if you catch me around in game!

RE: ... heehee, what do we have here? - SayonaraRevival - 09-02-2014

thanks for the welcome guys! TWEWY is literally the best game.

(in other news, send help I just paid for the transfer to balmung last night and got in, but did not realize it wouldn't prompt me to namechange without another character of the same name somewhere, so now I'm stuck with my usual and currently lore-breaking name. I'm so mad right now omg. is there ANYTHING I can do or am I going to have to either pay way more than I have in my bank account and/or delete and re-make a character I reeeeeally didn't want to delete????)

(lol, newb concerns.)

RE: ... heehee, what do we have here? - MattieBoi - 09-02-2014

Hihi! &&& welcome!
[Image: tumblr_m96opv65hC1rzsfkvo1_500.gif]

RE: ... heehee, what do we have here? - Melodia - 09-02-2014

(09-02-2014, 10:50 AM)SayonaraRevival Wrote: thanks for the welcome guys! TWEWY is literally the best game.

(in other news, send help I just paid for the transfer to balmung last night and got in, but did not realize it wouldn't prompt me to namechange without another character of the same name somewhere, so now I'm stuck with my usual and currently lore-breaking name. I'm so mad right now omg. is there ANYTHING I can do or am I going to have to either pay way more than I have in my bank account and/or delete and re-make a character I reeeeeally didn't want to delete????)

(lol, newb concerns.)
Welcome! And I find people can be generally forgiving of names. Like I have an alt lalafell named Krell. LOL!! I just ICly play it as a nickname or villainous moniker. Smile  Don't sweat the name. You will be fine.

Hope to see you around.

(09-02-2014, 10:50 AM)SayonaraRevival Wrote: thanks for the welcome guys! TWEWY is literally the best game.

(lol, newb concerns.)

Just introduce your character with another name for RP! Realistically, if people are judging your character by the name they see, that could be seen as metagaming, and I'd say a lot of people here would avoid that like catching on fire.

Or, as I've seen in other threads, find a way to roll with it! ...There was a small period of time I had an Elezen with a more "Miqo'te-style" name, which I attributed to him have /extremely/ eccentric parents. Official documents would get the full name, but if left to just verbally introduce himself, he'd shorten it.

Now, the character I play has a bit more of a complicated name ordeal. To start, he's Garlean. FFXIV shows what Garlean names look like, but they aren't available to players. (No good middle name/title option). Second, he really didn't have a name in the beginning. He was just the "Unnamed Mercenary". While a name had been decided on for backstory, it wouldn't have fit the character. So while the character name is useful for logs, there are different names I would use during RP.

You may have also seen quite a few Miqot'e male Seekers with Tia or Nunh in their names. But if you walked up to a random Seeker guy, would your character (or other people's characters) really ask about that particular Seeker's breeding rights within the tribe he's in? Probably not.

tldr: The character model's name shouldn't matter for RP.

side note: To answer the question, the only way you'd be able to namechange would be to transfer your character out again, make a temp character on balmung with the same name, pay more money and wait three days, and transfer back, forcing a name conflict and change on your character. It's a sloppy procedure, and annoying, but SE's stance on allowing namechanges seems to be that they're afraid if it's a marketable service, it'll be abused by trolls/griefers.

RE: ... heehee, what do we have here? - MattieBoi - 09-02-2014

(lol, newb concerns.)

I did the same thing with my first 50 character...so she's just sitting there on the shelf like Weezy from Toy Story. Sad

[Image: penguin-big.jpg]

RE: ... heehee, what do we have here? - SayonaraRevival - 09-02-2014

(09-02-2014, 11:07 AM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: Just introduce your character with another name for RP! Realistically, if people are judging your character by the name they see, that could be seen as metagaming, and I'd say a lot of people here would avoid that like catching on fire.

Or, as I've seen in other threads, find a way to roll with it! ...There was a small period of time I had an Elezen with a more "Miqo'te-style" name, which I attributed to him have /extremely/ eccentric parents. Official documents would get the full name, but if left to just verbally introduce himself, he'd shorten it.

Now, the character I play has a bit more of a complicated name ordeal. To start, he's Garlean. FFXIV shows what Garlean names look like, but they aren't available to players. (No good middle name/title option). Second, he really didn't have a name in the beginning. He was just the "Unnamed Mercenary". While a name had been decided on for backstory, it wouldn't have fit the character. So while the character name is useful for logs, there are different names I would use during RP.

You may have also seen quite a few Miqot'e male Seekers with Tia or Nunh in their names. But if you walked up to a random Seeker guy, would your character (or other people's characters) really ask about that particular Seeker's breeding rights within the tribe he's in? Probably not.

tldr: The character model's name shouldn't matter for RP.

side note: To answer the question, the only way you'd be able to namechange would be to transfer your character out again, make a temp character on balmung with the same name, pay more money and wait three days, and transfer back, forcing a name conflict and change on your character. It's a sloppy procedure, and annoying, but SE's stance on allowing namechanges seems to be that they're afraid if it's a marketable service, it'll be abused by trolls/griefers.

considering that's literally my only option, I'll just try to roll with it as it is, lmao. thanks! it's really nice to hear no one's going to be elitist about usernames, of all things, haha. thanks for taking your time to reply to me, too, everyone seems so nice so far ~

( I am sorry to hear that other people have the same name-change desire but can't change it b/c Square hasn't made name changing even a paid service. D: I'm sure they have a reason, even if I have no clue what it would be. )

anyway, is it okay to keep asking questions here, at least until my foot is more solidly in the door / have some acquaintances to ask for these kinds of things? if so, if I wanted to flesh out the character in-RP a little before writing up a full wiki page, I can still make a Making Connections post in said forum, right?

(09-02-2014, 01:53 PM)SayonaraRevival Wrote: considering that's literally my only option, I'll just try to roll with it as it is, lmao. thanks! it's really nice to hear no one's going to be elitist about usernames, of all things, haha. thanks for taking your time to reply to me, too, everyone seems so nice so far ~

( I am sorry to hear that other people have the same name-change desire but can't change it b/c Square hasn't made name changing even a paid service. D: I'm sure they have a reason, even if I have no clue what it would be. )

anyway, is it okay to keep asking questions here, at least until my foot is more solidly in the door / have some acquaintances to ask for these kinds of things? if so, if I wanted to flesh out the character in-RP a little before writing up a full wiki page, I can still make a Making Connections post in said forum, right?

Anytime! ...I pretty much live on the forums while at work, and then login to the game when possible outside of work/sleep. (Sometimes logged in at work, but shhh!)

You can pretty much make threads anywhere, where appropriate~

I'll be here to answer any questions I notice and can answer (feel free to send PMs if there's a question you're unsure about or want clarification on), and I do my best to help out. Overall, I really like the community here, so helping keep it alive is a lot of fun in itself.

The Making Connections board is a perfect place to do exactly that! ...I've got a thread or two somewhere in it as well. From what I've seen of those threads, the first post is kind of like a description of what you'd be looking for, and responses are then posted by like-minded individuals for discussion. coordination would probably happen within the thread or through PMs, depending on what people are comfortable with.

If you need help with a wiki, there are also some awesome templates as well! I'd generalize and say anyone with a custom wiki page you like the layout of is generally ok with sharing it, as long as you ask (unless they say free to use). I know FreelanceWizard will help clarify questions on some of the coding, and I've personally looked up just the general wiki editing pages from Wikipedia nad MediaWiki as well. most of the standard stuff works pretty well.

RE: ... heehee, what do we have here? - HonZoMon - 09-02-2014

(09-02-2014, 02:04 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: Anytime! ...I pretty much live on the forums

It's true. We all pooled together and got Franz temporary forum lodging. 

[Image: box-house-thumb-400x300.jpg]

But aside from that...

Welcome Emi Smile

Hope to see you online soon! Bouncy

(09-02-2014, 10:01 PM)HonZoMon Wrote:
(09-02-2014, 02:04 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: Anytime! ...I pretty much live on the forums

It's true. We all pooled together and got Franz temporary forum lodging. 

[Image: box-house-thumb-400x300.jpg]

But aside from that...

Welcome Emi Smile

Hope to see you online soon! Bouncy

Hey! I like my bed. ...it has chargers and nice blankets! ...and my gaming laptop.

RE: ... heehee, what do we have here? - Chika Ito - 09-02-2014

Welcome! Hope to see you around ^^ I do hope you find Balmung to your liking. There are a lot of sweet people here, and everyone if welcoming and kind. Well out of character anyway hehe. If you ever want to role play, hit me up Smile