Hydaelyn Role-Players
A Forlorn Fortnight 【Complete】 - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: A Forlorn Fortnight 【Complete】 (/showthread.php?tid=8223)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: A Forlorn Fortnight 【Closed】 - Roen - 09-16-2014

A frown creased her brows as Roen regarded the Sea Wolf. Even Daegsatz was voicing some doubt, fearing that Nero could be too far gone. Perhaps it was her stubbornness that refused to accept it, or that she did not want to consider the possibility yet. She wanted to believe that the Roegadyn was just trying to warn her of things should they ever turn dire. Surely if Daegsatz truly thought that Nero was already lost, he would not have shown such loyalty and compassion towards his captain so far.

“I always thought it was enough if I just dedicated myself to others, held to my Oath,” Roen answered him, shifting the topic to something other than Nero. “That the difference I could make every day--fulfilling my duty, helping those in need--was something. That it was enough.” She let out a wistful sigh. “I never thought, or saw, beyond that.”

The paladin paused, recalling a memory. “When I was in the gaols, I was approached by a Flame Sergeant who told me that I had to make a choice. I had not known what he meant then, but now I think I do. I think…somehow he saw this path that lay before me. This obligation to do more.”

The look Roen then gave to Daegsatz was tinged with doubt. “But I am not sure I know what to do. I am not some Light, as he believes me to be. I am just me. All I can do is…” she paused, searching for words, but there were none that could aptly encompass what she meant. She sighed and peered up at the Roegadyn again. “I can only help where I think it matters.” She echoed his words softly.

When Daegsatz answered her gaze with a nod, she gave him a small smile. “My mother once told me kindness is a treasure we can all give freely. I always try to live by those words. I may not have a plan, but I will care for who I can. Guard them best I can.” She repeated his words back to him again, this time her own voice steady with conviction.

RE: A Forlorn Fortnight 【Closed】 - Nero - 09-17-2014

Such a kind, earnest heart was a rare sight. Daegsatz was not nearly the cynic that his captain was, but even the Sea Wolf could see the gentleness that permeated Roen's demeanor. Here was a person who truly did want the best for everyone. It was naive, perhaps, but very admirable.

"Then would that not be enough?" the Roegadyn asked softly. "Ye be doin' everythin' ye can. Guardin' who ye can. Providin' for who ye can. Who be givin' a toss 'bout a grand scheme? Ye be doin' everythin' in yer power ta improve the lives o' the people 'round ye. Can anyone be askin' much more from ye than that? Yer resolve be waverin' 'cause th' lad be claimin' ye not be doin' enough."

He patted her shoulder. "Were I ye, I be tellin' 'im ta sod off. Ye be doin' much more fer th' people ye care about than anyone who be too busy schemin' from the shadows ta act."

RE: A Forlorn Fortnight 【Closed】 - Roen - 09-17-2014

The paladin curled a wistful smile for Daegsatz. “But what if I want to help him too? I cannot just let him be.”

Roen let those words fade as reached for the basket again, taking out what food she had brought: a grilled dodo this time, along with some parsnip salad. Her movements were somewhat slowed, her thoughts returned to Nero of course; the smuggler and his mission had been the sole occupants of her thoughts of late. She frowned when she realized this as she handed the dish to the Sea Wolf.

“I am going to speak to Ser Crofte tomorrow.” She shifted the topic again. “Surely, there must be something more that can be done to get you released.” Roen began to tidy up the parchments she had laid out, turning away from the Roegadyn to hide her look of disappointment. She did not want to say that she had received no assistance from Ser Crofte or any of the Sworns involved in the raid. Kage had been distant, and Natalie... well, Roen had been avoiding her altogether.

Coatleque was her best hope. She would look to the Highlander Sworn to help free Daegsatz from the gaols. Perhaps if she was to arrange for a meeting between the Sultansworn and the smuggler, and Coatleque saw that Nero was not a threat, she would extend that same reasoning to his First Mate.

“Perhaps I will have more news for you on the morrow,” She reassured him as she stood. “We will get you out of here yet.”

RE: A Forlorn Fortnight 【Closed】 - Nero - 09-18-2014

Daegsatz nodded his gratitude. "I be twistin' at th' thought that ye be goin' ta so much effort fer me," the Roegadyn said rather sheepishly, tracing a circle on his trousers as he sat on the cot. He offered Roen a helpless grin. "No matter how ye be spinnin' it, I still be a criminal, an' a pirate." After that, he cocked an eye at her. "Ye be tryin'a free all th' criminals that be makin' their ways inta yer gaols? Ah, no matter."

The Sea Wolf stood up to face Roen, only to hunch over slightly so they were at eye level. "Ye be havin' a good heart, lass," Daegsatz said earnestly. "Ye take care not ta lose it; compassion be in short supply in dark times." A large finger gave the paladin a light poke in the chest, as if to warn her. Daegsatz' tone became stern, yet gentle. "Ye not be compromisin' on anythin' when it comes ta yer principles, aye? Principles be what makes a man. If'n ye be losin' that, ye may well be dead."

RE: A Forlorn Fortnight 【Closed】 - Roen - 09-18-2014

Criminal and a pirate, Daegsatz called himself. Roen could not refute these claims.

And yet, as the paladin searched the Roegayn’s eyes as he bent to meet hers, she could not accept that that was all he was. His words of wisdom, his belief in protecting one’s principles and the value he placed on a person’s compassion...

The label of a pirate and a criminal fell woefully short. Despite his chosen way of life, Daegsatz, beneath it all, had a benevolent heart.

Was it then that his upbringing made that choice for him? That the Sea Wolf would raid and steal from others, even if a part of him valued kindness and morality in the world? What if many such as he never knew another way of life? Did they even have a choice? In a sea of predators, they surely needed to do more than avoid getting eaten, but did they need to prey on each other to survive?

Roen hoped that in coming to understand this dichotomy--where a good man would lead a violent life--she would better understand Daegsatz…and in turn, his captain as well.

“No matter what you have done, you would not be here if it were not for me,” Roen said quietly, her words tinged with remorse. “So I will do what I can.” She glanced down at her chest where he had poked her. “And I will heed your advice. I have sworn an Oath to serve and I will hold to it.” She peered back up at the Roegadyn with a solemn nod. “For without it, I would be lost.”

The paladin then gave him a gentle smile, regarding his large frame. “You are the one in the gaols. and yet you lend me words of comfort. Gratitude.” She gave him a bow before turning for the barred door to signal the jailor once more.

RE: A Forlorn Fortnight 【Closed】 - Nero - 09-18-2014

Day 8

The restlessness that had plagued him for the previous seven suns had left him, for now. Daegsatz found his thoughts wandering without aid, without needing the act of drawing or reading or food to distract him. It was comforting to set his mind free for many bells at a time. Sometimes it was daydreams; thinking about where he would be if he made different choices in the past, thinking about how he would spend his future. Other times, it would be about his friends: if Garalt still kept a bottle of vintage port in his footlocker, if Nero and Roen were getting along, if O'taqa had finally learned which end of a cannon made the explosion.

Nero. What was his plan? Daegsatz' captain had taken care to leave his crew out of it; the one time Daegsatz had questioned it, Nero's response was evasive at best. The two of them had known each other long enough to pick up on such signals. Nero did not want to speak of it, and so Daegsatz did not ask.

And what about Roen? Daegsatz grinned wistfully. She was a strong woman; having someone like her on the Second Forte would have been splendid. Though, on second thought, perhaps it would not be a terribly good idea: not only did some of the crew believe that a woman on board a ship, especially a pirate ship, would bring nothing but bad luck--superstitious lot, as they were--but given the paladin's fair features, she'd more than likely be harassed to an uncomfortable degree. As disciplined as the Forte's crew were, they were still pirates at heart.

RE: A Forlorn Fortnight 【Closed】 - Roen - 09-19-2014

Well, at least she did not arrest him.

The meeting between Nero and Coatleque had gone about as well as expected, though Roen had hoped for more. Ser Crofte was guarded in her answers throughout the conversation, watching the smuggler with a careful eye. Nero was doing the same, gauging the Sultansworn. Roen doubted Coatleque to have come away from that meeting any more reassured about the pirate than before, and Roen herself had not added much to the exchange. She was still unsure where she stood with the smuggler after Lost Hope. The tension between them was thick enough to cut with a blade.

What disappointed Roen more than anything, however, was that Nero had not won Ser Crofte over; he could not give her a clear reason to try and advocate for Daegsatz’s release. When Roen had approached her about it afterwards, Coatleque seemed cautious and deflected her questions to Captain Jenlyns instead. Roen’s heart sank; her history with the Captain had not been the smoothest. Roen hoped that there was no ill will remaining between them. He had extended an invitation for her to return to the Order after the exoneration, after all.

It was with that hope that Roen had submitted her request to meet with him. Perhaps I will have good news for Daegsatz on the morrow, the paladin hoped.

But she had promised the Sea Wolf good news this day. So Roen had brought something else to offer to the Roegadyn in trying to brighten his day. She gave a small lopsided smile to the Lalafellin jailor when he gave her an odd look with a quirked brow. With the roll of his eyes, the guard let her through, not bothering to question the whys of what she had brought.

When she entered his cell, Roen patted her basket and greeted Daegsatz with a smile and a nod. She was determined not to let this visit be plagued by ill tidings or dreary reflections. “I have no news yet of your release,” she began with a quick apology even though her eyes twinkled with a hint of mirth, “...but I brought something else today. If you will humor me.”

RE: A Forlorn Fortnight 【Closed】 - Nero - 09-19-2014

Daegsatz raised an eyebrow, but gave a small smile. "It be heartwarmin' ta see yer spirits raised, lass." The Sea Wolf felt his own morale raise a bit; her somber mood yesterday had worried him a bit in more ways than one. It was not difficult to tell that Nero had not been kind to her on their outing; while the smuggler was more than capable of being cheery and friendly as a front, he bore no hesitation when it came to being sharp and venomous.

"Don't s'pose yer here ta tell me that they be finally lettin' me 'ave conjugal visits, eh?" The Roegadyn was typically too disciplined to engage in such vulgar humour, but there was nothing wrong with cutting loose every now and then. Especially given his circumstances.

RE: A Forlorn Fortnight 【Closed】 - Roen - 09-20-2014

Roen made a straight face at Daegsatz.

The Sea Wolf and the Hyur may have looked at each other with a deadpan expression for what seemed like ages before the paladin shook her head. “Um. Nay. Apologies.”

Roen narrowed her eyes as she spotted the smile reemerge on the Roegadyn’s rugged features. She cleared her throat and approached his cot, settling to a seat at the very edge of it. She laid her basket on top of her lap, her lips twisting as she reconsidered her plan for a moment.

“Well…” she chuckled nervously. “I hope you are not going to be disappointed then.” The paladin laid her hands neatly over the lid of the basket, her eyes crinkling with warmth. “I thought we could try something a little different today.” She pulled the linen cover away and drew out a small ornately decorated bronze box. Her fingers gently wound the small lever on the side, before she opened the lid. A delicate melody began to play, a slowly rotating cylinder starting to pluck the metal keys within.

“You told me you wanted to see me dance,” Roen gently laid the music box on the cot and rose. She turned around and grinned at Daegsatz.

“And your captain told me that your name means Soldier Dance.” The paladin dipped in a small curtsy then extended a hand to him. “So? I thought I would you show you, and you can show me what your name means.”

RE: A Forlorn Fortnight 【Closed】 - Nero - 09-20-2014

Daegsatz barked a laugh. "Lass, ye be a bold one indeed! Ye be thinkin' we dance in a gaol?" The Roegadyn gave an amused glance to the confinements of the gaol. It was a narrow cell; were the Sea Wolf to lay down across the width of the gaol, there would be just barely enough room for his head.

"Und'r ordinary circumstances, I be more than 'appy ta fulfill yer request," the Roegadyn said with a wide grin. "But me 'dances' be for what me name implies; soldiers, and war. It not be the delicate movements ye prob'ly be used ta." Daegsatz glanced about the gaol instead. "And 'sides, there not be room! It be terrible fer me conscience if I be responsible fer swinging yer head against a wall by accident! But if ye be willin', I be more 'an happy ta be a witness to yer technique."

Roen canted her head, a playful challenge twinkling in her eyes. Daegsatz did not know how stubborn the paladin could be.

“I have always liked dancing because it was much like battle, except without weapons. Gauging your partner, moving as he does...” She glanced about, noting the walls and the ceiling, the cramped dimensions. If the Sea Wolf was anything but a Roegadyn, she surmised they could do some basic steps. As it was, the cell did not give him much room to even move around by himself.

“Jojon gave me the same look,” Roen clasped her hands behind her back as she leaned back against the bars, glancing to where the Lalafellin guard had strolled off. “I told him you needed to stretch your legs, and what better way? He thought I was daft.” She gave Daegsatz a sidelong glance with a smirk. “Perhaps I am. But I bet I can convince him to have you walk about in the corridor.”

Roen pushed herself off the bars, clasping her hands in front of her. “Come now. It has been cycles since my last lesson, and it is always easier with a partner.” She gave the Sea Wolf a broad, hopeful smile.

Daegsatz rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly, his face deepening with a slight glow. "I only be hopin' ye've already 'ad dance partners clumsier than meself," the Sea Wolf said. His next expression was a derisive snort. "Hyurs be too wiry an' thin, though. A real dance be an expression o' passion! It be raw an' unfocused, an intimidatin' display, a boast 'bout the fullness o' yer life, a war cry! Now, ye may be thinkin' such a thin' be barbaric, an' mayhaps it is." Daegsatz folded his arms. 

The Roegadyn waved a dismissive hand. "I accept ye challenge then, lass. Ye persuade th' guard ta let me get a bit o' exercise, and mayhaps ye be showin' me what yer lessons 'ave taught ye."

Roen grinned from ear to ear when Daegsatz acquiesced.

The paladin had come to know Jojon Serojon--the Lalafellin jailor--from her previous stay at the gaols. At first he had been aloof, exchanging a mere glance, or on rare days a word her way. But throughout her stay, Jojon had slowly warmed to her, likely noting the diligence of Ser Crofte and Natalie’s care as they visited her. By the time Roen was exonerated and was released from the gaols, he had actually given her a smile in parting.

Now that the paladin had taken up Ser Crofte’s role in visiting the Sea Wolf, Jojon had afforded her an extended bit patience, allowing her to bring in a skin of rum, food, books, and now even a music box.

But this? Well...

“Dancin’,” the jailor scoffed, squinting up at her. “Ye expect me to let a prisoner out of his cell so he can dance.”

“Well, it would be to stretch his legs really,” Roen rolled her shoulders, a cheerful smile given Jojon’s way. “But I thought I would show him some of what I learned from my childhood lessons." She gave him a wink. "And a far safer thing than practicing our swords. I assumed sparring would be out, aye?”

The Lalafell snorted. “Don’t be pushing yer luck, Deneith. It’s well an' fine enough I’ve been lettin’ ye bring all sorts of things in here.” He shook his small fingers at her sternly, key-ring jingling on his hip. Despite the frown he gave her, Roen thought she heard a hint of grim inevitability in his tone.

“Have you ever seen a Sea Wolf dance, Ser Serojon?” Roen teased, leaning in with her hands clasped behind her back.

Jojon paused, giving her a droll look. “I s’pose I haven’t.” When Roen answered with an expectant smile and opened palms, he rolled his eyes helplessly. “Yer lucky the Sworn gaols are empty for the time bein’. Else I’d never hear the end of this.” He walked up to the barred door and unlocked it with a key, stepping back and eyeing both the occupants with a warning. “I’ll be watchin’ the both of ye down the hall. He’s yer responsibility Deneith. If somethin’ goes wrong, it’s on yer head.”

Jojon tossed one more threatening glare the Roegadyn way before he made is way back toward the thick doors at the end of the corridor. There he turned and crossed his arms, watching expectantly.

Roen minded not the admonition as she nodded gladly. She stepped out of the cell and spun back toward Daegsatz with a delighted grin.

“Now. You were saying?”

Daegsatz shook his head ruefully. "I regret challengin' ye already, lass." He swung the door open The corridor was not significantly wider, but having spent a week in the gaol, the freedom of just being able to comfortably walk around was quite liberating indeed. The Roegadyn first took the time to stretch his arms and legs, grunting as he worked the kinks out of his knees and shoulders.

"Ye not be tellin' anyone about this, aye? I be 'avin' a reputation ta uphold. Anyone seein' me tryin'a waltz or what 'ave you an' there goes me intimidation factor. An' Nero not be lettin' me hear the end o' it if'n he finds out." Daegsatz nonetheless held a grin on his face as he held his hand out. "Ye be showin' me the steps, then?"

Roen took both his hands in hers, delicately, and drew him forward a few steps. She matched his grin as she released his hands, although hers still hovered in the air in front of her.

“My mother’s favorite dance was what she called salta. It was one of the first dances she taught me when I was old enough.” She could remember watching her mother and father as she hid behind the stair rails as a young child; they danced in the ballroom below, a heady combination of powerful precision and artistic passion. Her mother had moved effortlessly, gliding across the floor, the fall of her light silk gown barely caressing the marble as she spun about. Roen mimicked the movements as she remembered them.

Her mother and father would cross their arms as they stepped to the opposite side of each other, their limbs never quite touching. Their eyes remained on each other, always, their heads turning in practiced synchronicity even as their bodies did the opposite. They stepped across and then back, then stepped again in the opposite direction, their raised forearms meeting in the middle--hovering mere ilms away from each other before parting again. Their hands would approach each other again, wrist near wrist, as the dancers slowly walked in a circle. Roen recalled the loving glances her parents shared, here in this: their dance; so public, so private.

It seemed so long ago.

“And you do not touch," she said, though her voice caught a moment, stranded on an isle of wistful remembrance. She continued, banishing from her mind the ghosts of times she could never bring back to actual life. "It is a matching and opposing movements in proximity without actual contact that defines the dance.”

She paused, dropping her arms as she glanced to the Sea Wolf.

“Now you try.”