Hydaelyn Role-Players
A Forlorn Fortnight 【Complete】 - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: A Forlorn Fortnight 【Complete】 (/showthread.php?tid=8223)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: A Forlorn Fortnight 【Closed】 - Nero - 09-27-2014

Day 11

Were Daegsatz a writer, it would be around this time that he would realise constantly writing someone waking up in a gaol and having nothing to do was starting to get rather tedious. The monotony of waiting for the bells to pass had reduced any semblance of thought into mush the idly echoed around his mind. Sometimes he would revert to counting cracks on the ceiling, other times he would reminisce. The thought crossed his mind to attempt the sick man routine and try to escape, if only to liven up the days a bit.

RE: A Forlorn Fortnight 【Closed】 - Roen - 09-27-2014

It was twilight before Roen finally returned to the gaols.

The day had been spent in one futile search after another. Nero was nowhere to be found; he was not at his usual safehouse nor at any of the ports she had known him to use. Her search of him had been half-hearted however, she still was not sure what she wanted to say to the man.

Ser Crofte, on the other hand, was indisposed. Roen found her at Coffer & Coffin surrounded by friends: a Miqo’te woman named Leanne, Anelia, Franz, and Verad. The paladin’s relief at finding the Sultansworn was short-lived however, when she found Coatleque roaringly drunk. Her usual refined speech had given way to a harsh Highlander accent and she was rambling on about love and loss. Something had happened between her and Ser Castille, but Roen did not prod the woman in her inebriated state to find out what. But it was clear that she was in no condition to consider releasing a prisoner from the gaols.

So left to her own devices without an immediate method to get Daegsatz released, Roen contemplated on other ways to at least give him some brief respite from the suffocating cell. She would tell absolutely no one that she actually visited a brothel and considered inquiring about a Sea Wolf matching Daegsatz’ complexion and hair. It had worked for Natalie when she smuggled Roen out of her cell for a bell, to share a luncheon in the open expanse of the airship lounge. Perhaps Roen did not have Natalie’s gall or overconfidence (or maybe insanity) to think that such a switch could work; she changed her mind before she would even knock on the door of the bordello. Then when she recalled the Roegadyn’s mention of a conjugal visit, Roen did an about face and walked away quickly, her cheeks flushed.

By the time she entered Daegsatz’s cell, the paladin had brought the only thing she could think of. If it worked for Coatleque, why not for the Daegsatz? She held up a bottle in her hand. “Something different for you today. Mistress Momodi recommended this when I asked her for the strongest drink possible. She said this would even would put a Sea Wolf like you under the table before the bottle is done.”

RE: A Forlorn Fortnight 【Closed】 - Nero - 09-27-2014

Daegsatz eyed the bottle curiously, taking it and nodding at her as he sat on the cot. He placed the bottle gently under the cot, not even deigning to take a swig of it. "Thank ye, lass, though if what ye be sayin' be true, I think I be savin' it fer me release," he said, grinning weakly. "Strong drink be reserved fer celebrations. Mayhaps ye be joinin' me fer this drink on that day?" Daegsatz leaned forward in the cot, folding his fingers together, his face furrowed in quiet contemplation.

"Lass, ye be sayin' earlier...that ye be wantin' ta change Ul'dah," Daegsatz said, an unusually intellectual look on his face. "After bein' in th' gaol for nearly a fortnight...it be givin' a man time ta think." Daegsatz glanced at her. "This goal ye be workin' towards. Tell me 'bout it."

RE: A Forlorn Fortnight 【Closed】 - Roen - 09-28-2014

Roen raised both her eyebrows, a sober countenance rising to the fore in the face of the Sea Wolf’s thoughtful and inquisitive mien.

She sat down next to him on the cot, her eyes going to the iron bars in front of them. “Ul’dah is a magnificent city. It is called the Jewel of the Desert for a reason. Wealth and gil flow here, like rivers through the plains of La Noscea. But too many are kept from the water. They are not allowed to drink from it, for fear that there is not enough for everyone.”

The paladin gave Daegsatz a sorrowful glance. “Surely you must have heard of the tales of woe that afflict Ul’dah--the overflowing wealth of the Syndicate still rejecting the crush of refugees that flock to the Jewel. All the citizens know of it, but no one speaks of it. And too many accept it as what must be. I have even heard it compared to the Nald’thal’s scale. The suffering balanced against prosperity.”

Roen shook her head. “To change such a thing... it would be a monumental endeavor. I am still not sure how it can be done. My hope is to change people’s perception of it somehow, to start--to show them that they should hold the Syndicate accountable for their greed, and for the disregard of the people that they take from.”

“Perhaps if we can first banish indifference, apathy and greed will follow. And compassion may take their place.”

RE: A Forlorn Fortnight 【Closed】 - Nero - 09-28-2014

Daegsatz rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "I be naught but a simple pirate, lass," he confessed as he scratched his ash-coloured beard. "I admit, th' politics an' moral quandaries be above me. But I be tellin' ye what I see when I be lookin' at you, an' that be someone who wants ta see somethin' be better fer people." The Sea Wolf frowned, his thoughts spilling out of his mouth without a hint of restraint, as the blunt pirate was wont to do.

"Far be it from me ta try an' be th' cynic in all this, but what ye be proposin'...ye be tryin'a change th' nature o' th' mortal soul." It was rare for Daegsatz to take on such expressions of eloquence. At first glance--and second, and third, and fourth, and so on--the Roegadyn was the definition of simple. Where most people made the mistake, however, was believing that simple meant stupid.

"Ye be tryin'a change th' presence o' greed, yet greed be tied in wit' self-preservation," Daegsatz reasoned. "It not be inherently wrong fer self-interest to exist, though..." he passed a half-hearted grin towards the paladin sitting next to him. "I s'pose my opinion be biased. Pirate an' all." The Sea Wolf folded his fingers together. "Vail be fond o' askin' people questions. 'e used ta be sayin' that th' truly right questions be those where there be no wrong answer, 'cause those answers be providin' insight ta whoever ye be askin' th' question to." Daegsatz exhaled as he rubbed the back of his neck. "Well, 'e be sayin' it far more eloquently than me. Point is, lass, one o' this questions be this: what do ye believe be capable o' alterin' th' nature o' a mortal soul?"

Roen canted her head, regarding the Sea Wolf contemplatively.

“To want to survive, thrive, and succeed...these are not what I am trying to change.” The paladin shook her head. “They are not all that dictate the nature of a mortal soul. I also believe that when we are born, there is an inherent need for us to love, and to be loved. That we are born with compassion, so that we can care for others, and we seek the same in return.”

Her voice was quiet and reflective, her thoughts elsewhere as she recalled memories of people she had known, children and adults alike, both in Eorzea and Garlemald. She had seen many at their worst, but she had also quietly watched mothers and fathers doting over their children as they played, laughter wafting through the air. Such memories always brought about a wistful smile to her.

“I think it is easy to push aside such concerns when we are buried by our own needs, pulled in too many directions by selfish desires and distractions. That we fail to see our neighbor who has taken ill or a stranger who has fallen nearby. Why take notice when we are too busy keeping ourselves warm and fed?” Roen bowed her head and gave a long exhale. “That is when someone needs to show them that it does not take but a moment to stop and do something, perhaps just extending a hand or a kind word...sometimes that is all it takes to make a difference in other people’s lives.”

The paladin looked back to the Sea Wolf, who watched her intently as she deliberated. “There are those who do this already everyday. The Immortal Flames tirelessly serve the people. The Sisters of the Church are kind and selfless. I just feel that we can do more, if we are can just open people’s eyes.”

"Ye not be tryin'a change th' city, then, lass," Daegsatz said thoughtfully. "A city be naught but a system o' buildings. It can be destroyed, or conquer'd. Now, if'n ye be tryin'a get in wit' politics," he rubbed the back of his neck. "I not be any 'elp there. What ye be tryin'a do be more...insubstantial." The Roegadyn frowned and pursed his lips as he reconsidered his diction. "Nay, that not be th' right word...not physical, is what I be tryin'a say."

"That said, lass, if'n ye be askin' me, th' first step ta changin' people be changin' th' culture." He patted her on the shoulder. "In th' end, we all be pack animals o' some sort or anoth'r. When we be seein' our peers follow an icon, it be an urge within us ta follow that icon. So paint th' art. Sing th' music. Write th' stories. Surround th' people wit' evidence that they can improve."

"If ye be 'avin' the power ta change a culture, well, there be little stoppin' ye from changin' the world if ye choose."

Roen found herself nodding eagerly. “Aye! I think people just need to see that things can improve!”

The paladin tapped her cheek in thought. “Ul’dah is where I see the indifference take hold of the populus like an epidemic. But if the culture can be changed here...it can be changed anywhere, I suppose.” She snorted and shook her head with a rueful chuckle. “But one city-state at a time."

"I am no bard, I cannot write songs or stories. But I can bring injustice to light. Show people that corruption is wrong. That it should have no place in Ul'dah, that there are people who will fight against it. Perhaps, if enough citizens see it, they too will no longer accept it as a norm." Roen drew herself up, sitting up taller than before. "It sounds like an impossible dream. But...it does not mean we cannot try, no?"

Daegsatz frowned in disapproval. "Ye be punishin' crime an' corruption, but removin' evil not be th' same as creatin' good," he said. "Ye be hangin' a metaphorical blade 'bove th' people's necks, threatenin' the lifestyle o' th' majority because ye disagree with it. From what I know, this city be th' sort o' place where th' rules exist to be broken, aye?" The Roegadyn clasped his hands together in thought.

"Ye be bringin' yer brand o' justice ta those who be doin' wrong, but what motivation ye be offerin' fer people to follow yer path?" Daegsatz asked frankly. "As it is, what ye be holdin' in yer hands is naught but a sword: ye be holdin' on ta th' deterrent. To many o' these people, ye be seen as naught but another oppressor, attemptin' ta force yer ways on those who don't want it, even if'n those ways be just an' good in yer eyes."

"Why do people be driven ta crime, lass? Because that way be th' most effective an' safe way fer them ta secure a livin'. Ye be takin' Limsa Lominsa as an example. We be 'avin' our own share o' problems, sure, but th' city be sidin' with the Maelstrom, not 'cause th' Maelstrom be tyrannical, but 'cause it be seen as more profitable by th' majority ta side with the rule o' law." Daegsatz snorted. "Ye be damn'd sure that if th' course o' the Maelstrom cease bein' worth it, th' free pirates be takin' control and everyone be jumpin' that ship like rats, and from what ye be tellin' me, 'ere in Ul'dah," He gestured to the gaol. "That concept o' findin' profitability wit' honesty not be th' case. Fer a city that be extollin' the virtues o' coin 'bove all else, what ye be offerin' them ta convince them ta change course?"

He patted her shoulder again. "Th' key ta changin' 'ow people act, is ta arrange things such that their self-interest be causin' 'em ta act in yer favour."

RE: A Forlorn Fortnight 【Closed】 - Roen - 09-29-2014

Roen sighed loudly as she cupped her chin with her hands and leaned forward. She gave Daegsatz a helpless look and a shrug.

“Somehow make the rich think it is in their best interests to spend their wealth helping to banish poverty.” Roen frowned at the premise. It seemed an impossible goal at first. “But if we can find a way to put the people to work through some enterprise which could also profit those who would sponsor it…” she pondered out loud, then groaned. “I know very little about business or any of these sorts of ventures.”

The paladin drummed her fingers against her cheeks, looking stumped. She had never thought this way before. But what Daegsatz had pointed out made sense. It surprised her, the understanding the Sea Wolf had of human nature, and the way society behaved. He was right. She did not want people to change because they feared the law or repercussions. Roen wanted the city to reform the way things worked because the people themselves saw that it could work for the better. The trouble was that those who were comfortable did not want to recognize that there was a problem, and those who were suffering, they could very well stand and shout that they were being repressed, but no one would hear them.

Roen reflected in silence for a moment longer before she gave Daegsatz a sidelong glance. “Well, you have insights I had never considered before. Do you have any ideas?”

RE: A Forlorn Fortnight 【Closed】 - Nero - 09-29-2014

Daegsatz shrugged sheepishly. "Not 'specially, lass. Honestly, I not really be an ideas sort o' person," he said. "Mayhaps ye be askin' N--" the Sea Wolf managed to catch himself and cut his sentence off mid-statement, aware of the tense relationship the paladin shared with his captain. "I not be knowin' th' circumstances o' Ul'dah. Truth be told, this be me first time inside th' city." He snorted, glancing about the gaol for the umpteenth time. "I be sure th' city be in possession o' its own brand o' charm, but I not be sold on it."

"But fer what it's worth, lass, ye be 'avin' a good heart, an' ye be wantin' ta help it fer the better," the Roegadyn affirmed. "Can't be sayin' that that be a common trait these days."

Nero would know.

Roen thought to herself. As arrogant as he was, the smuggler was a smart man. There was not a situation or a conversation yet that Roen had caught him completely unawares, he either had been prepared or quickly reached a conclusion on how to proceed without hesitation.

The paladin rubbed her temples. “Aye, but I am starting to realize that good intentions will not get me far.” She frowned and stood. “I best get going.” Roen took no comfort in Daegsatz’ encouragement, her thoughts now muddled with quandaries and doubt. He had posed questions that she had no answers to, and as it was, the only person that possibly could, she could not locate.

This day was turning out to be a long string of frustrations. Roen sighed and gave the Sea Wolf a meek smile and a nod in parting.

Day 12

Daegsatz spun the bottle idly in his hands. The temptation was there, and it would certainly help pass the bells, but on the other hand the Roegadyn found that using alcohol as a form of escapism was a rather detestable way for a man to avoid facing his dilemmas. He meant it when he said that strong drink should be reserved for celebrations. Inebriation in other situations in a more negative state were reprehensible.

Nearly a fortnight had he spent in the gaol, and the signs were not hopeful that his imprisonment would end any time soon.

I just need to not think about it.

That was what Roen had told herself. It was a simple solution really--just block out the unwanted thoughts in her head. The only problem was that when she had no other tasks to concentrate on, the very thing that she wanted to dismiss was the only thing that seemed to want to occupy her mind.

Her lips still burned from that kiss.

As hard as Roen tried to abandon the memory, it just kept returning with a vengeance, each time accompanied by irrational thoughts that she did not want to entertain. So rather than battling with her own imagination, she strode back out of her room, seeking escape into the cool night air. But as she meandered about the empty streets of Ul’dah, she eventually found herself in front of the gaols. Until she arrived at the doors, the paladin had not realized that she had not visited Daegsatz for the day. She had brought no food nor amenities, her thoughts so jumbled and filled with chaos.

So when the barred door closed behind her, Roen gave the Sea Wolf a look of curiosity tinged with dread. Would she ask Daegsatz? What would she ask him? She could not very well just tell his First Mate that she kissed his captain.

No, she reminded herself sternly, he kissed me.

She just made a face, trying not to look distraught or conflicted. She was not sure why she came.

A long, awkward moment of silence passed before she managed to mutter an apology. Roen quickly shook her head as if to clear the fog lingering about her. “I did not bring...anything this time. I am a little out of sorts today.”

She stared at him strangely then fell back onto her easiest deflection. “How are you?”

Daegsatz raised a bushy brow in consternation as Roen entered his cell. The paladin looked dizzy, distracted, and confused. Something had happened, and the Roegadyn did not know whether or not it would be prudent to ask about it.

He waved her generic query away. "Same as always, lass," Daegsatz said nonchalantly. There was not much else to say. Every passing day began to bleed into one another; sooner or later it would become hard to track time. He only knew the cycle of the sun from his sleeping habits; since he couldn't even see the sun from the cell, what day or time it was would eventually become impossible to tell.

Daegsatz held the bottle out to her. "Ehh...I not be one ta ask, but mayhaps ye be needin' this?" he said awkwardly.