Hydaelyn Role-Players
MMO Survey for University - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: MMO Survey for University (/showthread.php?tid=843)

MMO Survey for University - Kajan Thamyris - 10-16-2010

Hey everybody,

I'm doing a presentation for a literature class exploring the importance of subjective reality and storytelling, with a focus on manufacturing reality. In particular, I am exploring the role of the MMO in creating realities that are both post-human and post-natural. If anyone is interested, my primary text is Douglas Coupland's Generation A. (Check it out, its quite an interesting book!)

To supplement my thesis and analysis I am conducting a survey, and would be really grateful if any of you participated. It is a mix of both survey questions and more interview-like questions (full sentence is preferred, but point form is still okay!). I would love to hear the perspectives of people who are currently playing an MMO!! All you need to do is copy paste the survey, answer it, and either reply to this forum or send me a private message with the survey answers. The research will be presented anonymously during my classroom presentation, and only for credit (not publication). If you have any questions, feel free to ask me =)

Thanks for helping me out

MMO Survey
Please answer the following questions. If there is any question you are unsure of, or do not want to answer, feel free to leave it blank. Thank you for your time.

1) Over the past 10 years, how many MMORPGs have you played?
a) One
b) Two
c) Three
d) Four
e) Five or more

2) How many hours do you spend online gaming per week?
a) 1-3 hours
b) 4-6 hours
c) 7-9 hours
d) 10-12 hours
e) 13+ hours

3) In an MMORPG, do you interact with individuals you know outside the game? (i.e. in real life)
a) Yes
b) No

4) What is most important in keeping your interest in an MMORPG? Select all that apply. If you choose Other, please specify.
a) Story
b) Graphics
c) Environment/World
d) Fun Factor
e) Continual Game Evolution (content patches, updates, expansions, etc)
f) Community
g) Other ____________________________________________

5) Do you believe it is possible for MMORPGs to be addictive?
a) Yes
b) No
c) Not sure

6) If you answered yes to question 5, have you or anyone you known been addicted to an MMORPG?
a) Yes
b) No
c) Not sure

7) How important is communication with others in an MMORPG?
a) Very important
b) Important
c) Unimportant
d) Very Unimportant
e) Not sure

8) Do you feel you have made valuable relationships in any MMORPGs? How would you characterize these relationships in contrast to those in real-life? Are there any differences? Similarities? Please elaborate.

9) Do MMORPGs offer modes of communication or support you are unable to find in your geographic location, life situation, or circumstances right now? Please elaborate.

10) What methods do you use to communicate with others in MMORPGs? Please select all that apply. If you select Other, please specify.
a) Friend List
b) Chat Channel
c) Voice Communication
d) Guild/Linkshell/Corporation/Clan
e) Forum
f) RL Interaction (i.e. physical get togethers, internet cafes, etc)
g) Other _________________________________________

11) Do you view MMORPGs as a potential mode of story-telling, an alternative to book, film, or television? Why or why not?

12) What environments do you enjoy experiencing in MMORPGs? Why do you enjoy those particular kinds?
a) Fantasy worlds
b) Science fiction worlds
c) Contemporary realistic worlds
d) Historical worlds
e) Frightening/ horrific worlds
f) Other _______________________________

13) Do you role-play in game?
a) Yes
b) No
c) Sometimes

14) Does your in-game avatar represent you in real life, either in physical appearance, personality, conversation, or other actions? Why or why not?

15) Do you play MMORPGs to avoid/cope with problems in real life (i.e. school procrastination, illness, marital problems, etc)?

a) Yes
b) No
c) Sometimes
d) Not sure

16) Do you believe that MMORPGs can serve an escapist function, that is, a coping mechanism for real life stress, boredom, etc? Why or why not?

17) What do you believe is the future of MMORPGs? Please elaborate.

Thank you for your time. By writing this survey, you agree to allow your answers to be used in graph, presentation, verbal, written, or any other form anonymously. This survey is for strictly student project purposes and will not be published.

Re: MMO Survey for University - Freyar - 10-16-2010

MMO Survey
Please answer the following questions. If there is any question you are unsure of, or do not want to answer, feel free to leave it blank. Thank you for your time.

a) One
b) Two
c) Three
d) Four
e) Five or more <-

a) 1-3 hours
b) 4-6 hours
c) 7-9 hours
d) 10-12 hours
e) 13+ hours <-

3) In an MMORPG, do you interact with individuals you know outside the game? (i.e. in real life)
a) Yes <-
b) No

4) What is most important in keeping your interest in an MMORPG? Select all that apply. If you choose Other, please specify.
a) Story
b) Graphics
c) Environment/World
d) Fun Factor
f) Community <-

a) Yes <-
b) No
c) Not sure

6) If you answered yes to question 5, have you or anyone you known been addicted to an MMORPG?
a) Yes <-
b) No
c) Not sure

a) Very important <-
b) Important
c) Unimportant
d) Very Unimportant
e) Not sure

8) Do you feel you have made valuable relationships in any MMORPGs? How would you characterize these relationships in contrast to those in real-life? Are there any differences? Similarities? Please elaborate.

Valuable relationships are made, but are usually restricted to online presences. A few scenarios have lead to people being hired at my workplace and the like, but all in all they're typically online "versions" only.

9) Do MMORPGs offer modes of communication or support you are unable to find in your geographic location, life situation, or circumstances right now? Please elaborate.

Not really. While MMORPGs provide another medium of communication, everything but the actual gameplay itself can be done outside of these, hence there's nothing too special the medium in terms of communication.

10) What methods do you use to communicate with others in MMORPGs? Please select all that apply. If you select Other, please specify.
a) Friend List <-
b) Chat Channel <-
c) Voice Communication <-
d) Guild/Linkshell/Corporation/Clan <-
e) Forum <-
f) RL Interaction (i.e. physical get togethers, internet cafes, etc) <-

11) Do you view MMORPGs as a potential mode of story-telling, an alternative to book, film, or television? Why or why not?

Not really. MMORPGs haven't developed extensively enough for personal stories to be created with the impact that books, movies or television provides. Sure there are possibilities for interesting and unique writing, but like standard Fanfics in respect to roleplaying portions of communities, but nothing that would make it through a book publisher.

12) What environments do you enjoy experiencing in MMORPGs? Why do you enjoy those particular kinds?
a) Fantasy worlds <-
b) Science fiction worlds <-
c) Contemporary realistic worlds<-
d) Historical worlds

Fantasy is a staple. Easy to make, easy to invent your own rules. Granted, the market is flooded by them. They are getting stale, however compelling fantasy worlds always seem fresh and interesting.

Science Fiction is one that has been tried, and ultimately hasn't worked out well. Some people blame it on the setting, I frankly believe it's a lack of decent design in these games. Science Fiction suits me better than any other as I love technical backgrounds and explanations. IE: EvE Online, the most successful Science Fiction based MMORPG, provides a lot of technical details to delve into which is only expanded as more technology is brought in. Science Fiction is interesting as the "How to" is theoretical, providing a massive amount of fun trying to put theories to all of the plausable technologies.

Contemporary Realistic Worlds provide for a nice modern touch. Things ranging from police to criminal organizations always make for compelling scenarios that are at least remotely possible in the current setting of today.

a) Yes <-
b) No
c) Sometimes

14) Does your in-game avatar represent you in real life, either in physical appearance, personality, conversation, or other actions? Why or why not?

Nope, my characters (while having a sliver of my personality) are usually separate entities, allowing me to explore the behaviors of people that aren't me and how people respond to them. I'm a nice guy, but roleplaying a jerk allows me to explore that scenario in social interaction. The separation of person-and-character is one of the biggest things a Roleplayer must learn to do, otherwise you get people who become way too involved in what is going on at a personal level, reading into things far too strongly.

15) Do you play MMORPGs to avoid/cope with problems in real life (i.e. school procrastination, illness, marital problems, etc)?

a) Yes
b) No <-
c) Sometimes
d) Not sure

16) Do you believe that MMORPGs can serve an escapist function, that is, a coping mechanism for real life stress, boredom, etc? Why or why not?

Yes, aren't all hobbies providing an avenue for escapism?

"You should never really doubt what no one is ever really sure about." ~Gene Wilder
We're seeing more and more MMORPGs develop and more companies fighting for competing market shares over World of Warcraft. I think WoW will dominate for the next to years as the expansion controls the market, and then we will see interest wane with people spreading. We will continue to see "WoW clones" with limited advancement in making an MMORPG that stands out gameplay wise. The formula for MMORPGs has been solidified where no one is willing break these established rule-types set in by Blizzard with the intent in stating that they are what made World of Warcraft the Juggernaut it is today.

Re: MMO Survey for University - Doktor_Ljubavi - 10-16-2010

e) Five or more

d) 10-12 hours

a) Yes

c) Environment/World
d) Fun Factor
f) Community

a) Yes, psychologically

a) Yes, friend

b) Important

No different. My current room mate, I play MMO's and other multiplayer games with. We started off playing an MMO with each other.
Got a few other friends who I talk to on a daily basis, and don't necessarily play games with.
Also, a good friend I've known for 10 years now I met via online gaming.

No difference, really. It's like going to the same bar every night, you'll run into other similar bar goers, and make friends that way.

a) Friend List
b) Chat Channel
c) Voice Communication
e) Forum
Have used all in the past.

Yes, and no. Some MMORPG's are just good at being fun but lacking story, while others are fun -because- of the story. MMORPG's, and video games in general are alternative modes to book, film, and TV. To say they are not is pure folly.

a) Fantasy worlds
d) Historical worlds
I like them all. I'm an open minded individual.

a) Yes

No. I have never made a character that was a depiction of me, because I'm me all other times of the day, why would I want to role play as myself?

To an extent, I play video games to relieve stress. MMORPG's in general provide stress relief in the game portion, and socialization with the social networking MMORPG's tend to provide.
So, c) Sometimes

Yes, just like most other recreational activities, it provides momentary release of stress. Otherwise, it's not recreational.

Ever see the movie Surrogates? That.

Re: MMO Survey for University - Ghunzyr - 10-17-2010

((Clearly I won’t be able to do this post IC, so OOC time for Ghunzyr))

e) Five or more

e) 13+ hours

a) Yes

I ranked them from most important to least.
1) Fun Factor (this is largely dependent on the other stuff on this list)
2) Community (this includes RP for me)
3) Story
4) Environment/World
5) Continual Game Evolution (content patches, updates, expansions, etc)
6) Other: High End Group & Raid Content
7) Graphics

a) Yes

a) Yes

a) Very important

- I have made some very good relationships online, unfortunately I’ve found they are harder to maintain than offline relationships. I don’t like the distinction of “real-life” vs. MMORPG friends. If I make a connection to someone online and we become friends, good friends, than that IS a “real-life” friends. Friends made while in character, well, those are my character’s friends, not real life friends. But if I, the player, make friends with another player, then I consider that person a real friend, not some online pseudo-friend. I am not embarrassed to say I have become more than “just friends” with some players over the years. I have some great memories from the girlfriends I made in various MMORPGs over the years, and some very painful memories as well. These relationships were no less precious or real than the relationship I am in now (although they never lasted as long as this one has). Consider that a relationship that starts online doesn’t have to stay online. I recently found out that two people from my old hardcore raid guild days (the game was EQ2 if anyone cares) are now married with kids on the way. They lived in separate states back then, and the only reason they met was because they were in the same guild and raiding every night gave them a chance to get to know each other. You can’t tell me that isn’t a very real relationship.

- It all depends what you mean. For me, Roleplaying and storytelling are ways of relieving stress. I play in a Dungeons and Dragons game every 2 weeks and that helps, but MMORPGs allow me to distress without all the time and energy that a D&D session requires. Also, I can play MMORPGs when it suits me, which is often late at night. So in a way, yes they do offer support that I am unable to get elsewhere.

a) Friend List
b) Chat Channel
c) Voice Communication (Ventrillo as well as the Phone sometimes, depending who it is and where they are geographically)
e) Forum
g) Other: I’ve also been known to use messenger programs like Yahoo or MSN, as well as E-Mail

- Absolutely I agree. If a game has a large world with detailed history and well designed races/classes, it allows players to create their own stories. It is sort of like interactive fan-fiction. Also, if a game has a great story, why can’t it be compared to a book? Well written games need talented writers to come up with storylines, histories, and characters. In a sense, video games (MMORPGs and others) could arguably be the modern alternative to an illustrated novel.

a) Fantasy worlds
d) Historical worlds

I love good stories of all kinds. Setting doesn’t matter much to me, it is what the designers have done with it. Traditionally, with books, I am drawn to high fantasy, but I also love sci-fi and gothic horror. The same can be said about films and games. On a side note, I would love to see a well done steampunk or gothic horror MMORPG.

a) Yes

- Yes and no. I tend to play a variety of characters, many of whom resemble me in some regard, but sometimes I enjoy challenging myself by roleplaying a character that is totally different from me.

c) Sometimes

- Yes, that is one of the things about them that is most appealing. Some people enjoy getting lost in books or music. I do as well, but my preferred method of escapism is video games.

- Bigger, more realistic worlds as well as more realistic and customizable characters are coming, it is just a matter of overcoming limitations in the technology. Also, I think there are settings/story genres that are woefully under-represented in the world of MMORPGs. I believe that it is just a matter of time before we start to see a shift away from the traditional high fantasy setting.

Re: MMO Survey for University - Tagyr - 10-17-2010

MMO Survey

a) One
b) Two
c) Three <-
d) Four
e) Five or more

a) 1-3 hours
b) 4-6 hours
c) 7-9 hours <-
d) 10-12 hours
e) 13+ hours

a) Yes <-
b) No

a) Story <-
b) Graphics
c) Environment/World <-
d) Fun Factor <-
e) Continual Game Evolution (content patches, updates, expansions, etc) <-
f) Community <-
g) Other: Music <-

a) Yes <-
b) No
c) Not sure

a) Yes <-
b) No
c) Not sure

a) Very important <-
b) Important
c) Unimportant
d) Very Unimportant
e) Not sure

I've managed to make a number of friends over the years in gaming. Mostly in my own area though as we tend to play together. But apart from that, so far relationships with people overseas have been only during the timespan of the game I played/they played, but I enjoyed them as well all played something we enjoyed in the time we had.

No. Nothing really special. I speak to the people I know in game as well as on MSN and sometimes phone.

a) Friend List <-
b) Chat Channel <-
c) Voice Communication <-
d) Guild/Linkshell/Corporation/Clan <-
e) Forum <-
f) RL Interaction (i.e. physical get togethers, internet cafes, etc) <-

MMORPGs to me lack the capacity for engaging storytelling due to the constraints of games being a form of active entertainment. If you aren't pressing buttons you aren't seeing the 'story' of you slaying mighty dragons just like the thousands of other players like yourself. It's a game, and they want you to have fun, thusly on top of that in gaming there is rarely a sense of any emotional journey that you get from reading a book. As they always want you to be happy.

But, I admit sometimes a story does appear in certain games and the game becomes fun and emotionally engaging because of it. So they DO have the potential to shape a story regardless of the current trend.

a) Fantasy worlds
d) Historical worlds

Any and all worlds. Though I admit my tastes tend to lie within the Fantasy and Science Fiction due to the fiction some worlds create in an effort to explain the workings behind fantastic technologies, magic and whatever else exists. I do enjoy fictional reasoning behind these things :p

a) Yes <-
b) No
c) Sometimes

Nope, I'd be too hard to play.

a) Yes
b) No
c) Sometimes <-
d) Not sure

Of course! The trend of being 'immersed' within a game serves just such a function. It's meant to be a method of coping with real life issues that you may want to forget while being absorbed in an activity. But all recreational hobbies tend to be like that.

I believe that eventually systems will be in place that allow players to shape their 'game' world in any setting. That there will be no rules and no boundaries. The most memorable times I remember is when things happened within a game that were never intended. Like the 'plague' that gripped WoW a few years back. It was never intended and impacted the gameworld greatly. Forcing players to react in their own fashions. Individuals tried to help, others ran and hid alone or with friends out in the wilderness to escape being infected. While some players enjoyed spreading it. Because of one glitch, and one action the entire world was turned on its head.

The future of MMORPGs to me, is that players will eventually have the power to do things like that...and that they will be an INTENDED feature.

Re: MMO Survey for University - comback_kid - 10-17-2010

a) One
b) Two
c) Three
d) Four
e) Five or more

a) 1-3 hours
b) 4-6 hours
c) 7-9 hours
d) 10-12 hours
e) 13+ hours

a) Yes
b) No

a) Story
b) Graphics
c) Environment/World
d) Fun Factor
f) Community

a) Yes
b) No
c) Not sure

a) Yes < I wouldn't say I myself am addicted to mmorpgs, but I definitely know people who are (becoming unemployed, risking marriage, things like that)
b) No
c) Not sure

a) Very important
b) Important
c) Unimportant
d) Very Unimportant
e) Not sure

definitely. I wouldn't say I value them 'more' than people I didn't get to know through gaming, but I've met people before that I got to know through gaming. I do value them as 'real friends', because if you get to know them it goes into much deeper things than just gaming. I met people in games that I still talk with daily, even though we no longer play together.

I also think it doesn't really matter WHERE you met your friends, what matters is the friendship itself.

maybe not right now, but it used to be a huge thing for me at a time in my life where I was feeling really, really bad. I might even go that far and say that realising people DO like my personality helped me be more outgoing in 'real life'.

a) Friend List
b) Chat Channel
c) Voice Communication
e) Forum

absolutely. the biggest example for this would probably from when I played lotro. as you all know, there is the book and the films. while the game of course tells the original story, it gets told from a different point of view. even though you meet the real heros (frodo and the likes) you, meaning the average hobbit Wink, are part of the mission to help middle earth. you are part of the big crowds you see in the huge fighting scenes.

a) Fantasy worlds
d) Historical worlds

a) Yes
b) No
c) Sometimes

in general, yes. I usually go for the small kind of chubby characters, and they sooner or later resemble myself. BUT I also like creating characters that are the opposite of myself, including gender and statue Wink

a) Yes
b) No
c) Sometimes
d) Not sure

I know for me they do. when I'm bored I turn on the computer and play. or sometimes it's already enough to have the game running and chat with others. stress might be a different thing, though. when I'm already stressed from paper works or family terror turning on a game is usually a bad idea... for me, at least.

the future of mmos, that's really hard to say. I see more and more games poping up, even more than what is already going on. people take it more 'serious' now and gamer are no longer seen as freaks or nerds. the big firms want their piece of the cake aswell (best example would be warner buying turbine)

Re: MMO Survey for University - Noelle - 10-17-2010

e) Five or more

e) 13+ hours

a) Yes

b) Graphics
c) Environment/World
d) Fun Factor
f) Community

a) Yes

a) Yes

a) Very important

I've made a long-term friend through playing an MMO. We've been friends for some 6 years now, I'd class them very similar to my real life friends.
I don't really know how to elaborate on this...

I think the internet does that more than MMO's specifically.

a) Friend List
b) Chat Channel
c) Voice Communication
e) Forum

Yes~
I consider all computer games an alternative to book, film or television.
I consider RPing games (pen and paper ones) to also be an alternative to book, film or television.

I consider them better than book, film or television.

a) Fantasy worlds
d) Historical worlds

*u*

a) Yes
c) Sometimes
>_>

Yes and no~

Personality wise I always find my RP characters have atleast soemthing in common with myself.
Physically we're not much alike.

Maybe >_>
Maybe that's why I RP <_<

Maybe <_<
Maybe that's why I RP >_>

I think there is one, but I'm far from creative enough to envision it.
MMO's follow a single track, and that track seems to have stopped somewhere.
FFXIV is pretty different from the MMO's I have played, and this pleases me, there may be hope yet.

Re: MMO Survey for University - DAISHI - 10-17-2010

Kajan Thamyris Wrote:Hey everybody,

I'm doing a presentation for a literature class exploring the importance of subjective reality and storytelling, with a focus on manufacturing reality. In particular, I am exploring the role of the MMO in creating realities that are both post-human and post-natural. If anyone is interested, my primary text is Douglas Coupland's Generation A. (Check it out, its quite an interesting book!)

To supplement my thesis and analysis I am conducting a survey, and would be really grateful if any of you participated. It is a mix of both survey questions and more interview-like questions (full sentence is preferred, but point form is still okay!). I would love to hear the perspectives of people who are currently playing an MMO!! All you need to do is copy paste the survey, answer it, and either reply to this forum or send me a private message with the survey answers. The research will be presented anonymously during my classroom presentation, and only for credit (not publication). If you have any questions, feel free to ask me =)

Thanks for helping me out

MMO Survey

a) One
b) Two
c) Three
d) Four
e) Five or more

a) 1-3 hours
b) 4-6 hours
c) 7-9 hours
d) 10-12 hours
e) 13+ hours

a) Yes
b) No

a) Story
b) Graphics
c) Environment/World
d) Fun Factor
f) Community

a) Yes
b) No
c) Not sure

a) Yes
b) No
c) Not sure

a) Very important
b) Important
c) Unimportant
d) Very Unimportant
e) Not sure

I've known certain people for years and in retrospect, I appreciate those friendships more now that it's been that long. These long lasting peers I would consider friends in the same sense I consider RL friends.

No. I have a rich life with a wealth of social support and a healthy social and family life. I consider MMO peers to be friends but not supplants for my RL interactions.

a) Friend List
b) Chat Channel
c) Voice Communication
e) Forum

Yes. I believe you can create stories through role play and story writing to supplement what's already in-game, and the ability to craft a narrative combined with the dynamic of interacting with people is very exciting.

a) Fantasy worlds

d) Historical worlds

a) Yes
b) No
c) Sometimes

Emotionally but not physically. He has elements of me in him personality wise because I use him to tell a story. I'm a writer by nature and profession.

a) Yes
b) No
c) Sometimes
d) Not sure

I believe they can in different ways for different people. However, almost all games are escapist in their nature. The more pertinent question is who considers their social interactions more valuable online than in their RL. Some people may for varying reasons and in that sense we may consider their escapism more extreme than others.

Expanding words, vocalized NPCs, more varied and fantastic settings, dynamic interactions with NPCs and multiple branch storylines or quests.

But more practically, MMOs are going to begin integrating social networking in the off-game sense in order to enhance social ties between people. Users are already given blogs and armories, and it is not much longer until full crafted and robust social networks are in place to enhance the gaming itself.

Thank you for your time. By writing this survey, you agree to allow your answers to be used in graph, presentation, verbal, written, or any other form anonymously. This survey is for strictly student project purposes and will not be published.

Re: MMO Survey for University - Zeah - 10-17-2010

Hah, I feel like my answers are going to make me look like the creepy nerd who lives in their parents' basement.

a) One
b) Two
c) Three
d) Four
e) Five or more

a) 1-3 hours
b) 4-6 hours
c) 7-9 hours
d) 10-12 hours < Lately
e) 13+ hours < Usually

a) Yes
b) No

a) Story
b) Graphics
c) Environment/World
d) Fun Factor
f) Community

a) Yes
b) No
c) Not sure

a) Yes
b) No
c) Not sure

a) Very important
b) Important
c) Unimportant
d) Very Unimportant
e) Not sure

Growing up, most of my real-life relationships were not that pleasant. As a child I was bullied a lot and I could never really relate to people in a real-life sort of setting because of that. I'm an introverted person, so going out and being social is just not something I particularly enjoy. I have a strong passion for video games, as it provides me with a lot of intellectual stimulus, such as solving problems, story-telling, and calculating complex math problems.

Along with that, MMORPGs have the unique opportunity to allow me to connect and communicate with people who share a similar interest of gaming with me. With most MMOs, as you progress, you rely more and more heavily on the other players around you to progress within the game. It makes you feel valuable as a person, and it also forces you to rely on others-- something I don't often experience in real-life.

I've made a majority of my close friends over the internet, simply because it's easier for me to be social online. I have few friends from High School that I have kept in contact with, because most have moved away to different states or countries to study or to search for their careers, so maintaining a real-life social relationship is rather difficult at times. The internet provides an easy way to connect to people, even if it's thousands of miles away in other countries.

To compare the friends I have made over the years online to the people I have met in real life, I would categorize them as the same. I share with them and converse with them equally, because, even though they are miles and miles away, they are still a real person to interact with. And with MMOs, it offers me a place to have experiences with them in a "world" type setting, though I do not replace an MMO world with the real world.

In essence..they are the same, in that I consider them a valuable friend to me, one whom I can rely and relate to, but it is different, usually because of time differences, and lack of physical contact.

Certainly-- It would be highly unlikely for me to run into an Australian on a day-to-day basis living in the US. As support goes.. to some extent, I would say that MMOs give me support in ways I am unable to find in the real world, yes. Because I relate easier to people with my similar interests, I find it much easier to talk to and confide in people I have met online or in MMOs. That's not to say I am incapable or unwilling to do the same in real-life, the opportunity is just not as easy to find as it is online. Additionally, with my current heart problems, I am struggling with activity as it is. This allows me to have a social life without physically straining myself or putting me in any trouble.

a) Friend List
b) Chat Channel
c) Voice Communication
e) Forum

It's difficult to compare an MMORPG to a book, film or television, because they are so massively different. With books, films and television, it is limited to you and your experience you get out of that story. In an MMO setting, you progress through the game with others, experiencing the world together, and in role-playing communities, you write your own stories through interactions with characters that you have created yourselves. It's most definitely a mode of story-telling, though I would not consider them alternatives to the three.

a) Fantasy worlds
d) Historical worlds

Fantasy is sort of a staple, and although it is a genre, there are large variances within "Fantasy". I enjoy visiting worlds that I would be otherwise unable to my real-life, because I find it boring to play situations or environments that are too similar to my real-life, and it is also easy to find inconsistencies or a sort of, "that's not convincing enough for me to be immersed" type of a feel from games that are too closely related to real-life. In a game like FFXIV, everything is made up, and you can accept things without question, because it is a whole other universe with possibilities unlike Earth's. I do, however, enjoy it when things can be analytically explained within the storyline or lore. I enjoy reading up and fully understanding the "world", and everything in it, including history, religion, philosophy, war, and politics.

a) Yes
b) No
c) Sometimes

Typically, my characters do not have any likeness to me. Some may be similar, but I never put my personality into a character-- instead, I tend to draw from one particular area of my personality, and expand on that, creating a whole person. For example, the character I have now is timid, quiet, and otherwise shy around social gatherings, similar to how I am, though not to the extent that the character portrays. She's an intelligent person, though she is sometimes incapable of seeing when people are using her, whereas I am much more observant.

Other characters of mine can be impatient, or rude, or otherwise unpleasant, and I draw those from my experiences of ever feeling frustration, or pride, or other emotions. I simply inflate those feelings, bringing out those past experiences to create a person to act as- or sometimes I remember someone from my life who behaved a certain way, and draw from how I remember them acting to create a more real character.

a) Yes
b) No
c) Sometimes
d) Not sure

Video Games are definitely a stress-reliever for me. It's similar to watching a movie or reading a book, except this offers a bit more stimulus as far as thinking and problem solving goes.

Yes, games in general especially MMORPGs allow you to "escape" from things such as stress and boredom. I hate to use this comparison, but it's similar to alcohol or drugs-- people abuse them to get away from problems and issues in their lives, but it never solves their problems, and most of the time it only creates more issues. People who rely on the game to make their lives better, or otherwise fix their problems in lives, be it in relationships, school, or work, need to understand that it is not the purpose of the game to make your life better. It's simply a hobby, something to enjoy, and it should not be allowed to take over your life in such a way that you neglect yourself, friends, or family, as is often reminded to the players in every MMORPG.

I think people easily get consumed into video game worlds because of the enjoyment they get out of it. It makes them feel happy, or excited, or other good-feelings, and it's easy to forget about life, especially when life is getting you down. However, the real-world offers many opportunities to share and enjoy the same feelings you get from a video game. I love video games, but nothing could replace the love I have for my family, my pets and my artwork.

FFXIV is, to me, a vast leap forward in the world of MMORPGs. Likely in the future I'm sure we will see improved graphics, more voice acting, perhaps even a world that is virtual-reality. I would like to see more expansion as far as interactivity in the world goes (every object interactive, more emotional expression via your character, more choices as far as race, appearance and customization ect.) It's hard to say where MMORPGs will go, there has been a massive increase in the number of free to play MMOs in the past 10 years, and I expect no different in the future.