Hydaelyn Role-Players
Dr. Jana's Field Guide to ERPers for Everyday Folks Like Yourself - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Dr. Jana's Field Guide to ERPers for Everyday Folks Like Yourself (/showthread.php?tid=8467)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Dr. Jana's Field Guide to ERPers for Everyday Folks Like Yourself - Jana - 10-02-2014

(10-01-2014, 03:41 PM)Jana Wrote: I think there's a distinction to be made between RPers who are okay with ERPing, ERPers, and those just looking to cyber. But that's a discussion for another thread.

Here I am, making this thread for that discussion, to avoid derailing that other discussion any further!

Doctor's Note: As has been discussed, any roleplayer could fall into that trap of "taking IC interactions as OOC intentions," ERPer or not! This isn't really intended to discuss that kind of thing, since I'm making this thread to stop derailing the one that is for that talk. This is also meant to be a very general kind of grouping; I'd like to spark a discussion and would love to read any input!

The first kind of ERPer is "The RPer Who is Okay With ERPing." This is someone who is an average, normal RPer who is okay with writing out an erotic scene if their character should happen to end up in such a situation. This is also someone with a thought-out character, with their own goals and personalities, maybe even their own ongoing long-term plotlines! Treat this kind of person with the same respect you'd afford to any other RPer. Chances are these kinds of roleplayers are all around you already; you just haven't RPed with them in a situation where eroticism would come up. And if you do end up in such a situation but you don't want to ERP, most of these roleplayers will be perfectly okay with a "fade to black." Anyone who is not, or who tries to pressure you into roleplay you don't want to play out, is an Abusive Jerk.

Next, I'll talk about "The ERPer." This is someone who roleplays with a character, often with the purpose of getting that character laid. This is not necessarily someone who doesn't want un-erotic roleplay, but it must be understood that a big, overarching story line isn't going to be their goal. This also isn't always someone who's looking to set their character up a long-term relationship with other characters, though it can be! If you run into this kind of roleplayer and aren't interested in what they're looking for, be firm but polite! Being rude to ERPers has led to the notion of "Non-ERPers are elitist jerks," which leads to further arguing and drama between what ends up as two divided camps. Jerks exist in every kind of roleplay, not exclusively to ERP or not!

Then we have "The Person Who Wants to Cyber." This kind of player will often have a character without a real, role-played personality or background; the character is an avatar for the act. The easiest way to tell between someone who wants to ERP (remember, it stands for Erotic Role Play) and someone who wants to cyber is that there isn't a distinction made between player and character for the latter. This kind of person also often uses first and second-person pronouns ("I touch your butt" as opposed to "She touches his butt"). Again, if you're not interested in what this person is looking for, be firm and polite in your refusal. Don't feel too bad if they require blacklisting, since these aren't what one would normally categorize as role players, but it often doesn't need to be your first resort.

After this, there's an assortment of unruly types, like Shout Catcallers, Emote Bad Touchers, and Unsolicited Whispering Creeps. These can all be classified as Abusive Jerks, so don't hesitate to blacklist these kinds of people if they prove troublesome. They won't want to roleplay with you normally anyway!

Hopefully, I didn't overlook anything obvious with these sweeping generalizations, but feel free to point out anything I have!

RE: Dr. Jana's Field Guide to ERPers for Everyday Folks Like Yourself - Parvacake - 10-02-2014

Think you pretty much covered everything Smile

RE: Dr. Jana's Field Guide to ERPers for Everyday Folks Like Yourself - Mercurias - 10-02-2014

First and I have to get this out. Has to be said: Bow chicka wow wow.

There. It's been said. We're talking about roleplaying sexy times.

If people do it? Fine. Just keep it to party and tells and don't be gross in public. Basically, the same social rules we all are supposed to obey if we ever walk away from our computers.

If someone wants to creep, pressure you into ERP, or anything that makes you uncomfortable? Well guess what. Do what you'd do in reality and walk away. Invent a reason IC and be clear and firm OOC.

Don't do what you aren't comfortable doing.

As for other people concerning whining about people who ERP? Stop. It isn't anyone's business unless they're doing something that's a reportable offense, and if they are then I encourage you to report them.

Let's all be civil, polite, and respectful grownups OOC on both sides of the debate (if one springs up, which I hope it won't).

RE: Dr. Jana's Field Guide to ERPers for Everyday Folks Like Yourself - Faye - 10-02-2014

You got all three types perfectly! It's annoying when anyone who's open to the idea of ERP is lumped into the cyber sex seeker category, or when any serious role-player not opposed to ERP is automatically considered nothing more than an ERPer.

RE: Dr. Jana's Field Guide to ERPers for Everyday Folks Like Yourself - Parvacake - 10-02-2014

(10-02-2014, 01:08 AM)Mercurias Wrote: If people do it? Fine. Just keep it to party and tells and don't be gross in public. Basically, the same social rules we all are supposed to obey if we ever walk away from our computers.

You should have seen it the other day: A friend and I were in the Quicksand late one night and this miqo'te couple was standing a little ways behind us. But close enough, however, that our characters could hear them ICly and were also well within emote range.

I didn't pay attention to their emotes at first, until I saw 'something something fucking' (I'm a pervert, sue me), and began to read what they were saying. Right there, for all to see, the guy was telling this girl that he liked the sound the bell on her collar made when he was canoodling her.

So, our characters eventually tried to tell the two to take it to a room (IC of course) and the girl actually got mad. The man even tried coming over to be lewd to our characters, who only bantered back. Eventually they left but it was so utterly facepalm worthy I think I gave myself a bruise.

RE: Dr. Jana's Field Guide to ERPers for Everyday Folks Like Yourself - Geneticdork - 10-02-2014

I think those three categories fit the sort of "types" of ERPers.

I think ERPers (or people who ERP) tend to get a lot of hate. They're seen as dirty, or desperate, or "unable to get laid in real life, so they resort to ERP," among other negative thoughts.

What I'd like to say to that, is that ERP is not necessarily bad. Sex is a natural part of life. I don't see why having sex with a partner in real life is fine, but having "fake" sex with a friend, partner, etc online is considered "bad."

I also know plenty of married couples and other people in relationships who also ERP, whether with their significant other, or with someone/a friend online.

I don't think people should be ashamed of RPing something like that. I'm not saying people -should- ERP. I'm just saying people shouldn't insult or look in disgust at people who do. Not wanting to ERP, or being uncomfortable with it, is perfectly alright too. And no one should ever feel forced to ERP if they don't want to. Fading to black is always an option.

I've ERPed before, I enjoy it, and use it as part of my RP. I only do that though with my characters who are in an established relationship. I wouldn't do anything else, as the OP described the types above. But hey, if others enjoy going further or doing more, to each their own.

As long as no one is harassing, hurting, threatening, or making someone else uncomfortable - that it's friendly, mutual, fun, and so on, then there's no harm to it.

However, with that said, for people who do ERP, I highly suggest you ask your RP partner's real life age first though. Why? Because ERPing with a minor can cause some serious trouble. Just a heads up.

... I hope my points came across clearly... I'm not very clear headed when I'm about to pass out from fatigue. >.>

RE: Dr. Jana's Field Guide to ERPers for Everyday Folks Like Yourself - Iex - 10-02-2014

Not to be that guy....

But is this discussion really necessary? So long as the parties involved are consenting adults and being respectful of those around them (and tack on a "is legal too"), what people do with their fifteen dollars a month is not really anyone's business. You can classify them all you want, but ... will that change anything?

Folks will have hang-ups or down right despising of people who role-play intimate (or otherwise) encounters not matter what the 'conditions' of it occurring, but that is not on the community's head to try to police or educate folks on. You can tell an amazing story without once having characters be intimate and at the same time tell an amazing story and have the characters fuck every other scene. The role-play content is up to those involved and no one else.

I agree there are some folks who fall into the categories mentioned and I agree if the individuals are not being respectful to those around them that is a problem, but frankly... does it serve any purpose trying to educate about or justify role-play that isn't really the business of the community at large.

RE: Dr. Jana's Field Guide to ERPers for Everyday Folks Like Yourself - B'ren Lyrgh - 10-02-2014

I'll chime in and say that ERP is just fine, but I have my issues with folks that seem to make it all that they want. If the depth of a character is only as far as their dick goes into someone or how far a dick goes in them, then I think they should rethink their character. I've enjoyed making a character of mine have an open sexuality and not even try and hide it, be they flirty or making raunchy jokes or hinting they want to take a roll in the hay. BUT, and I mean a giant but, one that would put Niki Minaj to shame. That doesn't have to be all they are, a character that is nothing but their sexuality and sex is no character.

RE: Dr. Jana's Field Guide to ERPers for Everyday Folks Like Yourself - Mr. Wolfdog - 10-02-2014

I generally have little interest in ERP, preferring the fade to black approach rather than anything else. But I do know plenty of friends from RPing in previous games that were open to actually playing out that part of their characters' relationships as well, and they were, quite frankly, some of the best writers with the strongest character concepts that I ran into. As has been said, for some people its just a natural evolution of their character and they were no more inclined to shy away from that than they would be from intense drama or antagonistic friction with other characters ICly if it made sense for their concept.

If its all someone does.. lets be honest, I still don't care. Its not for me, I would get bored pretty quickly, but I'll treat them as any other living denizen of the world if they make an effort to put themselves out there as such. Hell, even if they become overly flirtatious with my own characters I'm still cool with it so long as they're willing to deal with the IC reactions.

Just keep it IC, that's my battle cry.

RE: Dr. Jana's Field Guide to ERPers for Everyday Folks Like Yourself - Cato - 10-02-2014

I don't have an issue with ERP provided it's done tastefully, respectfully and above all else without needless drama. It's usually pretty obvious who is only in it for the sake of getting a cheap kick and who is actually doing it largely for the sake of character development. Above all else, though, I'd strongly suggest only ever doing it with role-players that you've come to know and trust.

I only do it with close friends and my partner when it makes sense to do so. Such a stance has helped me avoid much of the drama that I've seen other role-players consumed by when their private fetishes ended up becoming not so private when screenshots of their ERP were released and distributed because they didn't pick their ERP partners carefully.

RE: Dr. Jana's Field Guide to ERPers for Everyday Folks Like Yourself - ArmachiA - 10-02-2014

(10-02-2014, 02:18 AM)Iex Wrote: Not to be that guy....

But is this discussion really necessary? So long as the parties involved are consenting adults and being respectful of those around them (and tack on a "is legal too"), what people do with their fifteen dollars a month is not really anyone's business. You can classify them all you want, but ... will that change anything?

Folks will have hang-ups or down right despising of people who role-play intimate (or otherwise) encounters not matter what the 'conditions' of it occurring, but that is not on the community's head to try to police or educate folks on. You can tell an amazing story without once having characters be intimate and at the same time tell an amazing story and have the characters fuck every other scene. The role-play content is up to those involved and no one else.

I agree there are some folks who fall into the categories mentioned and I agree if the individuals are not being respectful to those around them that is a problem, but frankly... does it serve any purpose trying to educate about or justify role-play that isn't really the business of the community at large.

I think it has to because of things like this:

(10-01-2014, 03:32 PM)Aldotsk Wrote: I just try to blacklist ERPers because I just don't find it fun and I feel like it's a disgusting subject to bring up in games.

It also makes most role players look bad to non role players because non RPers always stereotype us and assume that we ERP majority of the time. 

Futanari or not, ERP shouldn't even exist which is why I avoid those benches like plague.

Which is a fairly ignorant statement and blankets RPers who do it. If you beleive sex serves no narrative point at all, you aren't even looking at any form of fiction over the last 10,000 years.

RE: Dr. Jana's Field Guide to ERPers for Everyday Folks Like Yourself - B'ren Lyrgh - 10-02-2014

(10-02-2014, 02:36 AM)ArmachiA Wrote:
(10-02-2014, 02:18 AM)Iex Wrote: Not to be that guy....

I think it has to because of things like this:

(10-01-2014, 03:32 PM)Aldotsk Wrote: I just try to blacklist ERPers because I just don't find it fun and I feel like it's a disgusting subject to bring up in games.

It also makes most role players look bad to non role players because non RPers always stereotype us and assume that we ERP majority of the time. 

Futanari or not, ERP shouldn't even exist which is why I avoid those benches like plague.

Which is a fairly ignorant statement and blankets RPers who do it. If you beleive sex serves no narrative point at all, you aren't even looking at any form of fiction over the last 10,000 years.
 I felt like bolding and italicizing the second part because it seems this person has never heard of romantic novels! Or movies with raunchy scenes in them. Or even books where things get a bit ~WILD~. ERP is not a vidyagame or mmorpg only thing, it is a form of erotic writing that is taken into a different narrative. 

BUT IT IS STILL FINE TO NOT WANT TO SEE OTHERS DOING IT IN VASTLY PUBLIC PLACES.

RE: Dr. Jana's Field Guide to ERPers for Everyday Folks Like Yourself - ArmachiA - 10-02-2014

Well, yes. It should be common sense to never do that in say (Even if you own a private house, don't do it in say, it's still against TOS guys). It's never okay to be raunchy in public. Don't do it.

RE: Dr. Jana's Field Guide to ERPers for Everyday Folks Like Yourself - Erik Mynhier - 10-02-2014

(10-02-2014, 12:44 AM)Jana Wrote:
(10-01-2014, 03:41 PM)Jana Wrote: I think there's a distinction to be made between RPers who are okay with ERPing, ERPers, and those just looking to cyber. But that's a discussion for another thread.

Here I am, making this thread for that discussion, to avoid derailing that other discussion any further!

Doctor's Note: As has been discussed, any roleplayer could fall into that trap of "taking IC interactions as OOC intentions," ERPer or not! This isn't really intended to discuss that kind of thing, since I'm making this thread to stop derailing the one that is for that talk. This is also meant to be a very general kind of grouping; I'd like to spark a discussion and would love to read any input!

The first kind of ERPer is "The RPer Who is Okay With ERPing." This is someone who is an average, normal RPer who is okay with writing out an erotic scene if their character should happen to end up in such a situation. This is also someone with a thought-out character, with their own goals and personalities, maybe even their own ongoing long-term plotlines! Treat this kind of person with the same respect you'd afford to any other RPer. Chances are these kinds of roleplayers are all around you already; you just haven't RPed with them in a situation where eroticism would come up. And if you do end up in such a situation but you don't want to ERP, most of these roleplayers will be perfectly okay with a "fade to black." Anyone who is not, or who tries to pressure you into roleplay you don't want to play out, is an Abusive Jerk.

Next, I'll talk about "The ERPer." This is someone who roleplays with a character, often with the purpose of getting that character laid. This is not necessarily someone who doesn't want un-erotic roleplay, but it must be understood that a big, overarching story line isn't going to be their goal. This also isn't always someone who's looking to set their character up a long-term relationship with other characters, though it can be! If you run into this kind of roleplayer and aren't interested in what they're looking for, be firm but polite! Being rude to ERPers has led to the notion of "Non-ERPers are elitist jerks," which leads to further arguing and drama between what ends up as two divided camps. Jerks exist in every kind of roleplay, not exclusively to ERP or not!

Then we have "The Person Who Wants to Cyber." This kind of player will often have a character without a real, role-played personality or background; the character is an avatar for the act. The easiest way to tell between someone who wants to ERP (remember, it stands for Erotic Role Play) and someone who wants to cyber is that there isn't a distinction made between player and character for the latter. This kind of person also often uses first and second-person pronouns ("I touch your butt" as opposed to "She touches his butt"). Again, if you're not interested in what this person is looking for, be firm and polite in your refusal. Don't feel too bad if they require blacklisting, since these aren't what one would normally categorize as role players, but it often doesn't need to be your first resort.

After this, there's an assortment of unruly types, like Shout Catcallers, Emote Bad Touchers, and Unsolicited Whispering Creeps. These can all be classified as Abusive Jerks, so don't hesitate to blacklist these kinds of people if they prove troublesome. They won't want to roleplay with you normally anyway!

Hopefully, I didn't overlook anything obvious with these sweeping generalizations, but feel free to point out anything I have!

Slap a "/thread" on it Jana. You knocked it out of the park.

RE: Dr. Jana's Field Guide to ERPers for Everyday Folks Like Yourself - Tiergan - 10-02-2014

My two cents: Two consenting adults can do whatever they like in RP so long as it's private and not hurting anyone. Just like how two consenting real life adults can do whatever they like with sex so long as it's private and not hurting anyone.