Hydaelyn Role-Players
Static Rolls VS Character Sheets? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Static Rolls VS Character Sheets? (/showthread.php?tid=8519)

Pages: 1 2

Static Rolls VS Character Sheets? - Tiergan - 10-05-2014

Hey folks!

I have some plots I'm thinking of starting on the server, but parts of them do involve dice-roll combat. I know some folks have expressed some frustration over dice-rolling because, while it keeps things fair, it also is entirely random without any attributes to kind of sway things one way or another.

To counter this, I wanted to use an extremely awesome dice-roll/character sheet system Faolan Woodlock came up with for his events - though I've altered it to make more sense with what I'm going for and to be more compatible with player vs player combat.

Does this sound like something you'd use?

I might alter any aspect of this tweaked system to make it easier for folks to grasp and run with.

Show Content

RE: Static Rolls VS Character Sheets? - Roswyn - 10-05-2014

I would be all for a system like this provided everyone involved agrees to it and knows exactly what the limits are and why they are agreeing to it.

I am a fan of free form combat but I've seen some people get...well. There is no other words except "godmodey". I really only try to do it with those I trust.

Dice can suck without modifiers. There is no reason whatsoever the barmaid with no combat experience should be able to evade a hit from a battle seasoned character or land a decent blow on them.

If a group of people work out a system like this that works for them then go for it. Smile

RE: Static Rolls VS Character Sheets? - K'nahli - 10-05-2014

This all looks very cool. Characters sheets or whatever are alien to me as far as I know but this seems very interesting. Perhaps in the future I will find myself preparing something similar. I'll definitely fill this out in a moment for my own characters just for the fun of it if its alright with you(I won't post it, of course... unless you'd like people to for any reason).

Thank you for the topic.

RE: Static Rolls VS Character Sheets? - Verad - 10-05-2014

Here's what I've been using:

FF-14-Fate

Rules subject to revision at present but some people seem to like it okay.

Oh, actually... can you have alternating values in some cases? For instance, my character(s) would certainly show more empathy for certain people even if it is against their nature in general, or perhaps even certain circumstances...

I guess its not entirely flexible but that is to be expected of such things.

RE: Static Rolls VS Character Sheets? - Tiergan - 10-05-2014

(10-05-2014, 07:08 PM)Knahli Wrote: This all looks very cool. Characters sheets or whatever are alien to me as far as I know but this seems very interesting. Perhaps in the future I will find myself preparing something similar. I'll definitely fill this out in a moment for my own characters just for the fun of it if its alright with you(I won't post it, of course... unless you'd like people to for any reason).

Thank you for the topic.

Feel free to fill it out! I know I really enjoyed coming up with mine when joining in on one of Faolan's campaigns. I liked his system because it was really simple and your character personality is what determines your attributes, which was fun to me. You can post your stats as well if you'd like to and your thoughts behind them. I mostly am trying to test the waters to see if folks are interested.

(10-05-2014, 07:08 PM)Verad Wrote: Here's what I've been using:

FF-14-Fate

This is *really* neat because it takes into account all of the usual stuff people actually do in game. I am gonna have to pick your brain for more clarification on how this all works for future events.

Though, I will admit that my goal in borrowing and tweaking Faolan's system was to create something simple enough where people would be able to engage or attack one another without a GM/DM present 100% of the time. I feel like a larger, much more dense character sheet makes that harder, even if it does a much more satisfying job taking into account every aspect of our characters.

(10-05-2014, 07:15 PM)Knahli Wrote: Oh, actually... can you have alternating values in some cases? For instance, my character(s) would certainly show more empathy for certain people even if it is against their nature in general, or perhaps even certain circumstances...

It's best to think of the stats of how your character generally is on the whole as opposed to how they would behave towards certain people. Otherwise the stats would swing around very drastically depending on whether you're dealing with someone you love or someone you hate.

(10-05-2014, 07:28 PM)Tiergan Wrote:
(10-05-2014, 07:15 PM)K Wrote: Oh, actually... can you have alternating values in some cases? For instance, my character(s) would certainly show more empathy for certain people even if it is against their nature in general, or perhaps even certain circumstances...

It's best to think of the stats of how your character generally is on the whole as opposed to how they would behave towards certain people.  Otherwise the stats would swing around very drastically depending on whether you're dealing with someone you love or someone you hate.

Ahh, okay (^^)    Not that I think I'll get involved in such plots but I was imagining being told something like "Sorry, stick with what you've got" when things would change for my character(s)' behaviour.

K'nahli Yohko

MUTABILITY----------- o o o o ● | ● ● ● ● o ------------FORTITUDE
EMPATHY-------------- o o o o ● | ● ● ● ● o ------INDEPENDENCE
INSTINCT--------------- o o ● ● ● | ● ● o o o --------------- WISDOM

That was a little funny since only the middle bar changed from the example. Its definitely a simple and minimalist way of treating personality traits but still very fun to do nonetheless. K'nahli, being a tribal miqo'te, was scaled on her personality within her own family setting and considering hostile encounters in the desert(A'malj'aa etc).

Her story will start seeing her having more interaction with the outside world from this point on however, so I'll make an adjusted version for the outside world since this is just for fun and I am curious!

Version 2 - Outside Setting

MUTABILITY----------- o o o o o | ● ● ● ● ● ------------FORTITUDE
EMPATHY-------------- o o o o ● | ● ● ● ● o ------INDEPENDENCE
INSTINCT--------------- o o o ● ● | ● ● ● o o --------------- WISDOM

...annnnd then finally my other character!

Andre Winter

MUTABILITY----------- o o o ● ● | ● ● ● o o ------------FORTITUDE
EMPATHY-------------- o ● ● ● ● | ● o o o o ------INDEPENDENCE
INSTINCT--------------- o o o ● ● | ● ● ● o o --------------- WISDOM

Weeeee, that was fun. Thank you again!

It's okay. Smile You don't have to get involved in any plots to play around with a character sheet. It's sort of a fun character exercise in some ways when puzzling out whether your character leans more one way or another.

RE: Static Rolls VS Character Sheets? - Zyrusticae - 10-05-2014

(10-05-2014, 06:36 PM)Roswyn Wrote: Dice can suck without modifiers. There is no reason whatsoever the barmaid with no combat experience should be able to evade a hit from a battle seasoned character or land a decent blow on them.
Yeah, this is pretty much the whole point of using character sheets and, well, I don't really see the point of doing one when everyone has the same point total in the end. We end up right where we started, you know?

(10-05-2014, 08:48 PM)Zyrusticae Wrote:
(10-05-2014, 06:36 PM)Roswyn Wrote: Dice can suck without modifiers. There is no reason whatsoever the barmaid with no combat experience should be able to evade a hit from a battle seasoned character or land a decent blow on them.
Yeah, this is pretty much the whole point of using character sheets and, well, I don't really see the point of doing one when everyone has the same point total in the end. We end up right where we started, you know?

Do you mean how everyone has 5 points to distribute across the paired attributes?

RE: Static Rolls VS Character Sheets? - Verad - 10-05-2014

(10-05-2014, 07:26 PM)Tiergan Wrote:
(10-05-2014, 07:08 PM)Verad Wrote: Here's what I've been using:

FF-14-Fate

This is *really* neat because it takes into account all of the usual stuff people actually do in game.   I am gonna have to pick your brain for more clarification on how this all works for future events.  

Though, I will admit that my goal in borrowing and tweaking Faolan's system was to create something simple enough where people would be able to engage or attack one another without a GM/DM present 100% of the time.  I feel like a larger, much more dense character sheet makes that harder, even if it does a much more satisfying job taking into account every aspect of our characters.

The character sheets tend to be fairly simple, as evidenced here. It definitely requires a GM/DM, however, in order to give players Fate Points and mess around with their Aspects. I'm sure with some digging it would be possible to go without and rely on player negotiation, but that's something for another revision.

Your RP system as it is reminds me of Greg Stolze's A Dirty World. It also relies on balanced, opposing stats in which the growth of one inhibits the other. This version, however, does not have alternative Health Points; rather, the stats themselves are the health points. Points in one stat can slide to another based on in-game actions, and the complete emptying of a stat could result in some kind of emotional or physical trauma.  I think it's a pretty awesome system, and I keep trying to remind myself to transcribe the One-Roll Crime system from it to this RPC, so you might want to give it a look for ideas.

(10-05-2014, 09:40 PM)Verad Wrote: Your RP system as it is reminds me of Greg Stolze's A Dirty World. It also relies on balanced, opposing stats in which the growth of one inhibits the other. This version, however, does not have alternative Health Points; rather, the stats themselves are the health points. Points in one stat can slide to another based on in-game actions, and the complete emptying of a stat could result in some kind of emotional or physical trauma.  I think it's a pretty awesome system, and I keep trying to remind myself to transcribe the One-Roll Crime system from it to this RPC, so you might want to give it a look for ideas.

That sounds awesome! I like the idea of stats being mutable depending on RP. I'll give it a peek.

I should add: This system is 99.999999% Faolan's. I literally just took exactly what he made and tweaked a few things around with his permission. I can't really take credit for anything. :V

RE: Static Rolls VS Character Sheets? - Zyrusticae - 10-05-2014

(10-05-2014, 09:06 PM)Tiergan Wrote: Do you mean how everyone has 5 points to distribute across the paired attributes?
Pretty much.

I mean, this is fairly useful for a number of situations but doesn't take experience or relative strength into account whatsoever.

(10-05-2014, 10:28 PM)Zyrusticae Wrote: I mean, this is fairly useful for a number of situations but doesn't take experience or relative strength into account whatsoever.

What if I swapped out Mutability --- Fortitude for Magic --- Physical. Slots 1-5 symbolizes your level of experience in addition to your level of defense magic or melee.

5 - You are a master of a particular art of magic or war / Highest level of defense against magic/melee
4 - You are highly skilled or extremely experienced
3 - You are competent
2 - You are learning to hone your craft.
1 - You are a novice. / Lowest level of defense against magic/melee.

Players are not required to spend all points and can spend UP TO 6 points in Magic or Physical. This means you can dump 5 in one attribute, but there will always be 1 in the other. (Just so that you're not totally incapable of defending yourself against a specific type of attack, unless you feel like it suits your character.)

Combat would be replaced by you using your Magic or Phyiscal stat to determine rolls.

The one thing I'm torn about is whether having 5 in Magic would mean you get 5 separate 1d20 rolls that each have their own individual chance of success or failure or if 5d20 should just all get added together.

If the former, it means that someone with 5 Magic would essentially get 4 free hits against someone with 1 Magic.

If the latter, it means someone with 5 Magic could roll ABYSMALLY and have a '5', which would then get beaten by someone with 1 Magic rolling a 6. It would also mean I'd basically give everyone 3 health because I have seen how long Grindstone Tournaments fights run. <_<