Hydaelyn Role-Players
What kind of Roleplayer are you? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: What kind of Roleplayer are you? (/showthread.php?tid=8545)

Pages: 1 2

What kind of Roleplayer are you? - Aldotsk - 10-07-2014

There are those kind of Roleplayers out there. Some like to roleplay that's in groups, individual person to person privately, huge events, or small events, guild based only or even small tavern RP. What would you be?

Do you like slow paced? Do you like fast paced development? Do you like romance type or adventure? Battle/War? Tragedy?

Are you also the type of roleplayer that only wants certain people in your group of circle to participate and not really want anyone else involved because of certain character development or just personal reasons?

To get many ideas on what kind of RPer you'd be, it shows and tells what kind of person you might be OOCly too. But this thread helps us to get the idea to learn more about players and what kind of RP styles they prefer. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My preference is that I'd like to interact with many people as much possible. I try my best to include people out on something I usually plan on. It's just that people do seem to feel shunning me because it doesnt match with their ideas on RP types. However, I do love adventure/battle types of RP most of the time, and friendship social RP is perfectly fine too. Group based RP is fine with big events - but my biggest lowdown on big event based RP is that chats get clunky and it's hard to read eventually. 

I also love tragedy, and yet happy based RP - whichever are fine for me. They are considerably character development anyways. I don't really like to have grudges with people unless they really got me to the point of pissing me off OOCly too by their behaviors - but we are not perfect and we all have different tastes from each other.

Slow paced or fast paced doesn't really matter to me - depending on how good the development is. But I do love slow paced, but some people do feel that slow paced can be a bit too endearing and can affect them from joining other events - so I sometimes end up doing fast paced events. I could do slow paced and get stuck in Coerthas for two months and never see the sunny days in Uldah or Limsa again. - which can be a problem in many ways. 

Conflicts can happen ICly, so I do like dramatic conflicts.

RE: What kind of Roleplayer are you? - Lady Rivienne - 10-07-2014

I prefer smaller groups for roleplay or one on one even, more than four people and I do have a difficult time keeping up with the turns made for replies. Which is why my style isn't too good for large social gatherings, since I have a hard time trying to keep up with the constant scroll. Because of that, role-playing in the main hubs, like Quicksand, is tough.

Tragedy and action based roleplay is where my writing is at its strongest. Considering that I have the "strong and dangerous" trope, when it comes to my female characters, it's comfortable for me. I like putting strife and tribulations in my stories, but I'm by no means shunning romance and fluff. Give me all the good stuff!

Don't think I have a preference when it comes to pace, I suppose it depends on the situation. I easily can adjust for my partners, in truth, I'm a pretty laid back player.

RE: What kind of Roleplayer are you? - Coatleque - 10-07-2014

I like all aspects of Role-play so long as it is kept realistic to some degree. As soon as it crosses the line into anime-like unexplained super powers, I lose interest.

RE: What kind of Roleplayer are you? - Warren Castille - 10-07-2014

I prefer interpersonal drama over sweeping epic storylines. While it's fun to cut loose and mow down unnamed mooks and stop the Bad Guy, it's very difficult to find roleplayers playing villains who let them actually die. It usually ends up being a long series of escaping I'll-get-you-next-time-Gadget scenarios that just feel flat. Then again, I play pretty straight forward smite-evil-until-it-dies characters, so knowing there will never be a payoff wherein the evil-doer gets their comeuppance makes it unfun for me. It's the same feeling I've always had in tabletop: Unwinnable encounters are bullshit, and if something can be stopped because your players outsmart you, let them.

I've always felt the best roleplay (and stories, really) are the ones that resonate and make us feel things. Budding romances and new friendships, learning other people and feeling them out: These are the things I look for in RP. The framework of a plot can only ever be as interesting as the people involved and carrying that plot forward, and I care more about them than what they do.

RE: What kind of Roleplayer are you? - Maril - 10-07-2014

I have no preference when it comes to the size of RP, I can be around 100 people and have as much fun as if there was just one other person, the only thing that gets me there is the speed of the chatlog, sometimes it just scrolls far too fast. Where I get a bit more picky, and this completely at the risk of sounding mean, is that I tend to not RP with light-roleplayers because of the at times very obviously clashing views of the two "Camps". However I always refrain from pretending people are thin air - I just wouldn't go into deeper plots with people that have for example a different take on lore or continuity. This is one of the reasons why I do not frequent the quicksand - not that there isn't a chance of meeting someone like-minded, but it seems to rarely happen. Regardless, I always consider myself happy to meet new people, and I have an openminded character that definitely will talk to strangers, if she feels like it ^^ 

I like to keep RP feeling natural. That means I never railroad my RP, but rather I set goals and if they get achieved or not is up to however things happen. Sometimes things progress fast, other times they do not, but ideally the less I have to oocly sit down and pre-emptively decide upon, the better. I tend to shy away from RP where it doesn't make sense for my character to be - when I am on Sastra, that means I do not partake in fights a whole lot, because she can't really fight people that efficiently. When i DO fight, i use freeform.
I enjoy a mix of plot/storyline RP and more casual bar-type equally as much as the other, and I also like playing NPC's for said storylines. Gives a bit more oomph when you can play against a character Smile 

Beyond that, I do not like OOC drama and will usually try to disengage from it if it's not something that directly involves myself. There's probably more to it but, I guess if people want to know more they can just ask -  I do not bite ^^

RE: What kind of Roleplayer are you? - cuideag - 10-07-2014

I think I tend to prefer smaller groups and one-on-ones, as I do get easily overwhelmed by larger events. That and I tend to be very shy around folks I'm not very familiar with. :S

As for styles... I find the little moments between characters to be the most rewarding. Big stories are great and all and I do like having a "plot" I suppose but I take the most delight out of relationships, be they positive or negative, and perspectives between characters. I think the general theme between both of my characters is "just trying to get by" and while it means different things to each (Jajara preening herself into a craftsman, Delial struggling to balance her old life against her new), exploring how they perceive and get on (or not!) with others has been immensely satisfying to me at least.

RE: What kind of Roleplayer are you? - Eva - 10-07-2014

I favor RP that focuses on what I guess is a slower pace and deals with things in as realistic a manner [for a fantasy world] as is possible in a serious manner.  I have a long list of pet-peeves, many of which I'm willing to endure for good RP, few of which I'm not.  I prefer to RP in smaller groups with similar-minded characters.  I prefer to leave the "higher fantasy" elements behind and generally don't like 'special snowflake' type characters.  I don't like when other RPers latch on to some oddity or nuance that may exist or be rare and cite it as precedent for their own similar/like quirk.  I prefer ordinary characters thrust in extraordinary circumstances.  I prefer to look at things more psychologically.  I love characters who fit into the world rather than obviously being pigeonholed into it by their player for whatever reason.  I like it when things are believable and real and having long and insightful conversations that keep me glued to my computer into the wee hours of the morning when I should probably be sleeping.  I like when other characters make my character think, or react, or feel.  As one who plays a reactive or reflective character I like when other RPers are proactive, but not to the point of being unrealistic.  I will go to bigger events (though I tend to prefer smaller ones) and sit on the sidelines and still enjoy myself even if nobody tries to strike up a conversation or any such thing.

I like when other RPers speculate or question or OOC communicate about their thoughts, habits, motivations - but I don't want to spend more time talking about it than actually RPing.  I'm not a mind-reader though.  I know my thoughts and feelings can occasionally rub folks the wrong way.  I don't harbor grudges, but I don't spend all my time worrying about stepping on others' toes and cannot be bothered to dance on eggshells.  I demand an IC/OOC line that does not blur.  Because my character doesn't like your character doesn't mean that I dislike you.  I am happy to communicate OOC.  I want to explain, and I want to understand.  But I also want to get back to the RP once that's clarified.

I favor the simple.  I like combat/sparring RP and I don't mind use of dice to assist this, but don't want to get bogged down with some complicated system of character sheets and dice rolls.  I favor guide lines to hard rules.  I want to get to the meat of things and keep to the RP and have the action move fluidly but realistically.  I don't come from a tabletop background, and I don't have that sort of patience.

I like comic relief, but in very limited doses.  I don't like when RP feels "silly" (a word I'm using loosely since this is kind of arbitrary) all of the time.  I favor serious/heavy RP, but not without an occasional break.  I love that this character can enjoy tea with friends one evening, then the next day be out defending a hamlet from the Ixal.  I like drama that is real and IC and capable of changing a character's outlook.  I don't like when people are petty OOC, create drama, blur the IC/OOC lines, are uncommunicative or unclear, deflect blame, or place unrealistic expectations on others.  I have not encountered very much of this sort of negativity in my time RPing in XIV for which I am thankful, and overall view the overarching RP community as a positive entity.

I am the kind of RPer that is very easygoing and tolerant of most other RPers (and it was not always this way) but I am also the kind of RPer who has very specific preferences and I've come to learn that my own expectations tend to be a bit more elevated and lean in favor of those who are similar in style and approach.  I will RP with most anyone, and I will probably enjoy it.  But I will admittedly enjoy certain types of RP and with certain types of RPers more than others.  I don't think this means anyone is "better" or "worse" so much as similar-minded.

RE: What kind of Roleplayer are you? - McBeefâ„¢ - 10-07-2014

Yeah as other have said I prefer smaller scale, down to earth RP. Something closer to Game of Thrones. I get the most involved and excited about really small and intimate (not that kind of intimate <_<) RP. If it's any more than maybe 4 people, I usually try to find a way to have my character excuse themselves, but it's just not fun after that point.

I'm kind of a hermit.

RE: What kind of Roleplayer are you? - Chika Ito - 10-07-2014

I tend to stick to one-on-one mostly, and small groups. I've done the big group interactions multiple times, and it is too fast paced, and hard to follow with everyones' /em and say filling the chat box.

As for the pace of things I like drawn out character development, but fast paced can be pleasing too. Chika's happily taken by T'urnessa, and though their bond formed rather swift, I wouldn't change it for the world. Both characters mesh so well personality wise, and have connected on many levels. Their interactions are always fun to play, and heart melting. So fast, slow, doesn't really matter to me ^^

War/battle role play isn't something I often do. Back on a forum based role play I was fairly good at animal fighting, but my role play fighting on a more humanoid character is extremely rusty, and I am rather new to it. I tend to avoid putting myself into physical brawls because of this. I do, however, enjoy beating the crap out of my characters Big Grin

Tragedy is something I feel is one of my strongest points, along with romance, because I can funnel a lot of emotions, and detail into my posts. I like the role plays that are so deep, so moving, it actually brings me to tears at times. That is when you know you've helped create something great!

RE: What kind of Roleplayer are you? - Arrelaine - 10-07-2014

I'm an 'anything goes' roleplayer. I like tragedy, romance, battle, adventure, social, everything! I love epic storylines, so long as things remain realistic and don't go into superhero/villain mode. There's magic, and then there's 'how did you do that crazy stunt?' 'magic'. For instance, when using healing magic on a large wound, I would expect some wearing out for the healer. Or if there's something (say an arrowhead) stuck in the wound, healing magic destroys it. Where does it go? Nobody knows! And other such crazy things that happen with 'magic'.

I can get overwhelmed by larger events, simply because my eyes dislike to read fast-scrolling text. But I like them still, just a little less than smaller groups. 

I also like 'natural' RP, letting things like romantic stories especially to flow and occur naturally. I think it's much more fun that way. 

I tend not to let anything permanent (crippling, disfigurement, mental trauma) or death happen to my character, but I don't mind temporary terrible wounds or near-death! I have killed my characters off before, but I always regret it so I don't do it anymore. I end up starting to miss RPing those characters.

RE: What kind of Roleplayer are you? - Askier - 10-07-2014

Plots, plots, and more plots. I cannot have enough plots. Maybe its the English major in me but I have to have a looming sense of conflict hanging over my head. Be it retationship conflict, heroes versus villian conflict, or moral conflict, there is a need in me to have a sort of story going on and the realization something dramatic could happen. Because its all about contrast. Once I have my conflict, I can find more power in the calm moments. Personal interactions are more tender when conflict has led to them occurring.

Plus I love the dynamic of a push-pull story. It fires my up creativity and I know many people love the same kind of rp. This is probably why, no matter the venue, I normally play the antagonist. I have been a devout paladin trying crush a criminal ring, I have been a ambitious military captian , and I have been an insane bomb kitty planning on destroying Ul'dah. But no matter what, I am the antagonist, someone to be rallied against by other player characters. I love giving people that 'villian' to go against, though I never make my characters black and white villians. In my mind they are heroes in their own way, even murderous little Jin'li was a tragic hero in my mind. Its exciting and fun especially since I'm incredibly friendly
 and relaxed in real life.  

Though I do enjoy small groups for in depth character development. Big events are awesome, but they are the action sequences of my rp. Lol

RE: What kind of Roleplayer are you? - Verad - 10-07-2014

As a player, pretty much anything. Comedy is always a plus because I see it appear only incidentally in most RP, and because it makes the heavier material hit harder.

As a DM, sticking my players into uncomfortably difficult moral choices where no solution will feel completely satisfactory. Beware, Fate players. Bewaaaaaare.

RE: What kind of Roleplayer are you? - Lyriell - 10-07-2014

I like all the different aspects of RP and try to include all the different emotions throughout the stories of my characters. It needs romance, tragedy, conflicts and more to feel alive for me.

Life doesn't always show the golden side of the coin, and thus it should be the same in RP as well. To me it makes the characters feel much more alive when there's the risk of loosing something or someone.

I like when characters have to overcome certain obstacles and evolve during that process. Of course I also like some comic relief here and there at times when it can ease the tension a little bit.

I usually don't mind how many people are part of the RP or what type of persons. In general I just want to avoid ooc drama or people that might want to troll RP events (I've seen this happen quite often) but other than that I pretty much welcome everyone during RP's.

I certainly like my RP slow-paced, but I usually add some forum RP too if I ever feel that the story needs to speed up a little.

I do love RP events, especially if they involve some epic storylines, although this isn't always easy to do.

RE: What kind of Roleplayer are you? - OttoVann - 10-07-2014

(10-07-2014, 10:50 AM)Coatleque Wrote: I like all aspects of Role-play so long as it is kept realistic to some degree. As soon as it crosses the line into anime-like unexplained super powers, I lose interest.

Same here. Im still so green and new to it all as long as people dont push me into combat I'm willing to try it. Natalie involved me for a little bit with this Hand that Feeds thing? It was fun digging into her past and her associates and playing a very political-lite side of things. Simply talking to Crofte-tan in the Quicksand is fun at times. My FightClub was fun as fuck. I dunno I think I can do most anything as long as Im not constantly under attack IC (AKA why is a syndicate man at our anti-syndicate weekly gathering - random example to set the stage) or forced to fight people.

RE: What kind of Roleplayer are you? - Blue - 10-07-2014

I favor slow character development, as well as keeping interactions with the world around me realistic (such as travel taking a long time, not running around much, and not moving to an area with a different climate unprepared). My RP is mostly storyline-based... my friends and I use the main scenario as a sort of "railroad" to our characters' stories, around which our personal plots occur.

Regarding events, I am very shy, and worse than anything, very prude (and I mean it. Even seeing someone emoting kissing someone on the cheek or hugging or an unnecessarily detailed way to hold hands makes me want to run away to a different zone), so while I do my best to attend big events.. I have difficulties finding ones that wouldn't put me before unpleasant displays.

Again, I try to keep it realistic: much as I look away from people getting kissy in the streets or change TV channel when a movie's characters get physical, so do I move away from events that may present chatlog text that will make me uncomfortable.