Hydaelyn Role-Players
Vulgarity! (VULAGR NSFW Discussion!) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Vulgarity! (VULAGR NSFW Discussion!) (/showthread.php?tid=8645)

Pages: 1 2 3

Vulgarity! (VULAGR NSFW Discussion!) - GloryRhodes - 10-14-2014

In FF XIV we're given a beautiful world in which to play, fully fleshed out with cultures, accents, religions and characters from all sorts of different backgrounds.  I've noticed discussions here about ERP and other things, but I wanna talk about cussing because it's a hoot.

In the game's NPCs you see a lot of "Shite"s, "Whoreson"s and "Bloody"s but I think that Eorzea has a plethora of more inventive and fun curses.  I myself love the chance to create creative ways of telling people where to stick it while keeping it in character to the setting and lore appropriate.

Here are some examples from recent logs:

"Listen here you shite faced goblin loving son of an ochu fondling whore from Mor Dhona.  I ain't matin' with shite and if you don't shut yer **** trap I'm gonna gut you like a two gil fish and sell your entrails for harp strings!"

"Ok.  What I meant when I said I was going to plug your ****hole was that I'm going to bend you over, pull your pants down, and shove a live squid up your arse so the tentacles are flailing about in a panic between your cheeks and then flip you over, paint you green and tell everyone you're an ochu."

I'd love to see what everyone else's favorite Eorzean vulgarities are, or how they feel about them ingame.

RE: Vulgarity! (VULAGR NSFW Discussion!) - Boo the Hamster - 10-14-2014

I actually avoid using vulgarity if I can.  Not because I don't like it (I curse like a sailor sometimes), but because it's 'below' him IC.

Not to mention it'd be something below his station as a retainer, in his mind.

RE: Vulgarity! (VULAGR NSFW Discussion!) - Gaspard - 10-14-2014

Hot.

over then that, I rarely saw any vulgarities ingame, but then again I don't pay much attention to those things. No time.

should be was to come up with original insults however, just use the lore to toyr advantage. I recently retorted icly with a: You intimidate me as much as a dwarf rat would intimidate a behemoth.

just use the lore appropriately and you can insult people in the finest of ff ways

RE: Vulgarity! (VULAGR NSFW Discussion!) - Tiergan - 10-14-2014

I love it when characters use the gods in curses.

"Thal's Balls!"

"Rhalgr's Breath!"

"Halone's Icy Tits!"

RE: Vulgarity! (VULAGR NSFW Discussion!) - Nebbs - 10-14-2014

For me I find the real world vulgar words break imersuon, and I would much rather people were inventive. Though at times it is the right word at the right time to convay the feeling.

I tend to do two things myself.

Using different words. For example Nebbs says "Frogs!" in place of Fu#k or similar words. This fits with her story and the nature of frogs in that.

Using more colloquial or older words. This would depend on where you drew them from. Pirate slang offers a lot for the Limsa based for example.

I'd advise making some common phrases up for your chractet , this keeps it consistent ... Like staying in the same RP clothes, it  becomes a recognised flavour of your character.

RE: Vulgarity! (VULAGR NSFW Discussion!) - Hyakki - 10-14-2014

(10-14-2014, 03:26 AM)Tiergan Wrote: I love it when characters use the gods in curses.

"Thal's Balls!"

"Rhalgr's Breath!"

"Halone's Icy Tits!"

"Matron's teats!" is another I've heard

"Thal's Balls" Is my favorite vulgarity though.

By the way... Franz the Fair is swivin' your wife!

Oh, I use 'three-eyed devil' as a slur for pureblood Garleans.

RE: Vulgarity! (VULAGR NSFW Discussion!) - Berrod Armstrong - 10-14-2014

I noticed that they sort of replace 'Fuck' with 'Bugger'. I employ that a lot, since Berrod curses like a damn sailor.

RE: Vulgarity! (VULAGR NSFW Discussion!) - FreelanceWizard - 10-14-2014

When it's character appropriate, I enjoy using in-setting profanity ("Thal's bloody balls," "Nophica's tits," "colder than a dead whore's crotch," "son of a whore," "bugger off," "oh shite," and what have you). L'yhta isn't typically profane, despite having come into her own in Limsa Lominsa -- so when she lets out a string of profanities, there's usually some shock value. Smile I had an alt who was an NCO in the Immortal Flames, and outside of command situations, she was fairly casually profane. I always enjoy seeing someone toss out in-setting profanities, as it just makes the world feel that more real.

I have to admit, though, in the heat of tense RP, I sometimes forget the in-setting profanity and fall back on modern curses like "fuck" or slightly modified ones ("gods damn it" instead of "Twelve take this" or something more appropriate, for instance). It's a weakness on my part, I realize. Blush

(10-14-2014, 05:16 AM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: I have to admit, though, in the heat of tense RP, I sometimes forget the in-setting profanity and fall back on modern curses like "fuck" or slightly modified ones ("gods damn it" instead of "Twelve take this" or something more appropriate, for instance). It's a weakness on my part, I realize. Blush
I used to do this -- I made a conscious effort to be more mindful (resulting in a lot of backspacing sometimes!) and it's worked out really well so far!

RE: Vulgarity! (VULAGR NSFW Discussion!) - Kellach Woods - 10-14-2014

(10-14-2014, 04:32 AM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote: I noticed that they sort of replace 'Fuck' with 'Bugger'. I employ that a lot, since Berrod curses like a damn sailor.
Even in the game's context, wouldn't that specifically refer to sodomy?

I don't think I've seen a NPC use Thal's balls, but Thal's bowels is definitely there (I've seen enough of that Costa del Sol NPC).

I have to admit though, I need to one day drop the line "Althyk's dick".

Personally, I justify my lack of using the in-game accents by the fact that Kellach isn't from Eorzea, but even so I should probably start picking up the vernacular.

(10-14-2014, 07:36 AM)Kellach Woods Wrote:
(10-14-2014, 04:32 AM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote: I noticed that they sort of replace 'Fuck' with 'Bugger'. I employ that a lot, since Berrod curses like a damn sailor.
Even in the game's context, wouldn't that specifically refer to sodomy?

I don't think I've seen a NPC use Thal's balls, but Thal's bowels is definitely there (I've seen enough of that Costa del Sol NPC).

I have to admit though, I need to one day drop the line "Althyk's dick".

Personally, I justify my lack of using the in-game accents by the fact that Kellach isn't from Eorzea, but even so I should probably start picking up the vernacular.
It does, yes! However, the way the word is used as a curse fits to a T. If referring to the specific act of 'fucking', I have him use 'swive'. I can't remember where I saw it, but I remember seeing 'Thal's Balls' in game and laughing my ass off.

RE: Vulgarity! (VULAGR NSFW Discussion!) - Kellach Woods - 10-14-2014

Pretty sure Berrod's seen his share of booty to warrant the use of the word, too. Big Grin

RE: Vulgarity! (VULAGR NSFW Discussion!) - cuideag - 10-14-2014

I have personally been trying to curb down on my swearing (something not at all helped by my feeble attempts at Dark Souls recently GOSH DANG IT) and I suppose that has also kept me from wanting to swear in character, if only because I just don't like to. I will emote that my characters swear but I prefer not to use any specific words if I can avoid it.

That said, I still think that the more colorful invocations of the Twelve (Thal's Balls! Mephnina's Tits! etc) are really funny.

(10-14-2014, 08:03 AM)Kellach Woods Wrote: Pretty sure Berrod's seen his share of booty to warrant the use of the word, too. Big Grin
*SWEATS*
who have you been talking to

Oh! Another thing to note -- while people swear up and down by blaspheming the names of the gods, Berrod gets a bit offended whenever Rhalgr's name is used. He doesn't put up a fuss, but there's that fidgety, slightly angry uncomfortable feeling that makes him pause a little.

RE: Vulgarity! (VULAGR NSFW Discussion!) - Telluride - 10-14-2014

For a man who regularly deals in bawd and innuendo, Nathan actually swears only very rarely, and it's usually something mild involving "The Twelve". When most people might let their anger burst forth in a short exclamation, the bard typically ends up drawing out his reactions into something four to five times as long, though the end meaning would be largely the same. The exception would be exasperation rather than any other emotion, which can elicit the typical "Bloody hells" sort of comment.

However, some of the suggestions in this thread are very tempting.