Hydaelyn Role-Players
Warrior AF Armor... IC? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Warrior AF Armor... IC? (/showthread.php?tid=8831)

Warrior AF Armor... IC? - Shoshopu - 10-31-2014

I'm posting this on behalf of a friend who recently got his Warrior to level 50 and he is absolutely in love with the story behind the artifact armor. He would like his character to acquire it IC, and we both think the struggle to properly use the armor and maintain control would be an interesting arc for his character and a great conflict between him and those close to him.

The problem, of course, is that as far as either of us know, it's the only set ever to exist, and while Curious Gorge was considering making duplicates he evidently decides he doesn't want it after all and leaves it with you in the end? (I haven't seen the dialogue of the final quest but this is how it was described to me) So it would be, uh... really special for his character to have the armor.

So what would the protocol for this be? Is there a loophole we've missed? Are there similar sets of armor in the lore we could utilize to the same effect?

Also, we generally only RP with our Free Company and have yet to attend any events or do any "public" RP in bars or whatever, so I've suggested to just go with it if it would be okay with our other FC members, since they're the only people whose RP would be affected by this decision, but it makes the lore hound in both of us cringe a little.

Thoughts?

RE: Warrior AF Armor... IC? - Roswyn - 10-31-2014

I, and a lot of people I know, just put outfits together out of whatever. I see people rp in AF and whatnot or use these boots with a hempen camise and no one really cares.

I, personally, choose not to RP in any main gearsets I.E. Allegan/High Allegan or use a really garish weapon because I just don't think my character would have access to anything that badass or flashy and I do find it a little immersion breaking. It's very obvious when my character is in RP gear vs. PvE gear. Only time I get a little cringy is when I see people rping in like....pretty much the equivalent of a PvE set or bust out a Nexus weapon, etc.

There are exceptions of course like Paladin armor. I've seen folk rp in the Warrior AF you're speaking of and I haven't thought twice. My brain just goes "Hey look, it's a dude in armor."

I don't forsee him running into any issues publically as long as the armor isn't a topic of the RP. xD If it worries you two that much then I would suggest breaking the set up and only using a couple pieces so it's more of an aesthetic thing or getting the Iron Scale Mail as a good looking alternative that is fairly cheap. Smile

RE: Warrior AF Armor... IC? - Seriphyn - 10-31-2014

I'm with Roswyn, I prefer armour that is assumed to be commonplace (such as those worn by multiple NPCs). Anything exotic teeters on the edge of my immersion.

If you want the easiest answer to your question? Go speak to Rowena, then select the 'Vintage equipment' dialogue option Smile

RE: Warrior AF Armor... IC? - Shoshopu - 10-31-2014

I think my question was misunderstood-- I'm not talking about wearing the armor for aesthetic reasons. For those unfamiliar with the warrior's Inner Beast and stuff, the warrior armor isn't just a badass looking set of armor, it actually affects the person wearing it, mentally- it's kind of cursed. It gives the wearer incredible physical power but the wearer is at risk to losing themselves to bloodlust and becoming mindless killing machines if they don't have the willpower to resist. We want to use it for character development/a story arc.

If he just wanted to wear it for looks I wouldn't have even made a thread because we could just explain it as a museum-quality replica or something.

RE: Warrior AF Armor... IC? - Sounsyy - 10-31-2014

So, yes entirely possible to have a set of authentic Warrior Artifact armor.

The set that Curious George wears is actually (he admits it himself in one of the quests) a replica and holds no magic. The magic of the armor focuses the Warrior wearing it and enhances their abilities. But only a true Warrior can wear the armor and conquer the Inner Beast without the Beast taking over and enthralling him/her.

One hundred years ago, during the Autumn War, there were many many Warriors roaming around Eorzea. Afterwards, during the relative peace time that settled, there was little need of "Warriors" so what few were left returned to their native homelands of Abalathia's Spine. The set the Player Character obtains in the Warrior storyline is likely one of many lost to the decades. (Probably more common to find the further north you travel.) How you choose to find the set is up to you, but just know lore-wise it is possible.

Hope this helps! ^^

RE: Warrior AF Armor... IC? - Roswyn - 10-31-2014

(10-31-2014, 06:17 PM)Shoshopu Wrote: I think my question was misunderstood-- I'm not talking about wearing the armor for aesthetic reasons. For those unfamiliar with the warrior's Inner Beast and stuff, the warrior armor isn't just a badass looking set of armor, it actually affects the person wearing it, mentally- it's kind of cursed. It gives the wearer incredible physical power but the wearer is at risk to losing themselves to bloodlust and becoming mindless killing machines if they don't have the willpower to resist. We want to use it for character development/a story arc.

If he just wanted to wear it for looks I wouldn't have even made a thread because we could just explain it as a museum-quality replica or something.

Ah. So the armor would actually be a focus of the RP.

Rp, to me, is a lot like ripples in water. You touch the surface of the water and the ripple spreads out, affecting a lot more than just the point you touched on it's way.

Point of the metaphor is highlighting why lore is so important. If his character would not have have this armour...then he should just not have it. And that's that. It's a little special snowflakey (in my humble opinion) to go around saying "I'm the one white mage" or "I have that one set of armor" etc.

Perhaps his character was adventuring and found this armor in a cave or dungeon. He has no idea what it is or what it does and he's noticing that when he wears it strange things start happening. It starts affecting him and his personal relationship and he finally reaches out to FC mates and whatnot for assistance/research.

Point being, tweaking the concept is fine. It doesn't have to be "THE" armor. It also opens more creative doors in my opinion for you to add your own stuff.

RE: Warrior AF Armor... IC? - Stormsrage00 - 10-31-2014

Shoshopu, if the RP is going to remain mostly within your FC and the members are all ok with it then have fun! But I do foresee some problems if you end up taking it to public RP as it's generally not well received to RP as having <insert named unique legendary artifact here>.

But there could be a workaround. With your FC the armor may be a green light. But when you go public, the effects of the armor and the struggle with the inner beast can still be RP'ed just find a different mechanic so you don't come off as a special snowflake trying to break lore.

But, as always, your RP is your own. You do whatever the heck you dang well please. As long as you're having fun and not hurting anyone else or infringing on their RP, everything's fair as far as I'm concerned.

RE: Warrior AF Armor... IC? - Shoshopu - 10-31-2014

(10-31-2014, 06:28 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: So, yes entirely possible to have a set of authentic Warrior Artifact armor.

The set that Curious George wears is actually (he admits it himself in one of the quests) a replica and holds no magic. The magic of the armor focuses the Warrior wearing it and enhances their abilities. But only a true Warrior can wear the armor and conquer the Inner Beast without the Beast taking over and enthralling him/her.

One hundred years ago, during the Autumn War, there were many many Warriors roaming around   Eorzea. Afterwards, during the relative peace time that settled, there was little need of "Warriors" so what few were left returned to their native homelands of Abalathia's Spine. The set the Player Character obtains in the Warrior storyline is likely one of many lost to the decades. (Probably more common to find the further north you travel.) How you choose to find the set is up to you, but just know lore-wise it is possible.

Hope this helps! ^^

Yes, this helps a lot!! This is the sort of information I hoped was out there somewhere, but my and my friend's lore knowledge still has a lot of holes. Something to either suggest there are more inscribed sets out there, or confirm for sure there was only one set, in which case we would have had to find an alternative or keep it strictly in the FC. Autumn War, huh? Something else to read up on!

There is also still the matter of explaining how exactly he finds it, but this bit of knowledge opens up a lot of possibilities. The other suggestions are greatly appreciated too. :D thanks, all!

RE: Warrior AF Armor... IC? - Kellach Woods - 10-31-2014

Alternately, if you really want to interact with others and want to avoid problems, you can use the same concept without saying that it is the canon armor from the Warrior Job quests.

Although Sounsyy's suggestion is good.

RE: Warrior AF Armor... IC? - Titor - 10-31-2014

I usually use whatever outfit I feel like, however none of Titor's outfits are 'magical' or in any way power enhancing. He is really rich, and ADORES Allagan technology, so he wears the Allagan Coat of Healing IC sometimes, priding himself on attaining an 'authentic Allagan clothing article'. However, he only had access to this from his funds. It is authentic (with some slight modifications to fit a hyur) but in no way increases his power or does anything special other than looking like. 

I am fine with anyone wearing replicas, or even authentic versions or something, as long as they are not an item where 'this is the only one in existence' (and not a replica) or if the outfit boosts their powers in a radical way.

RE: Warrior AF Armor... IC? - Erik Mynhier - 10-31-2014

(10-31-2014, 05:48 PM)Shoshopu Wrote: I'm posting this on behalf of a friend who recently got his Warrior to level 50 and he is absolutely in love with the story behind the artifact armor. He would like his character to acquire it IC, and we both think the struggle to properly use the armor and maintain control would be an interesting arc for his character and a great conflict between him and those close to him.

The problem, of course, is that as far as either of us know, it's the only set ever to exist, and while Curious Gorge was considering making duplicates he evidently decides he doesn't want it after all and leaves it with you in the end? (I haven't seen the dialogue of the final quest but this is how it was described to me) So it would be, uh... really special for his character to have the armor.

So what would the protocol for this be? Is there a loophole we've missed? Are there similar sets of armor in the lore we could utilize to the same effect?

Also, we generally only RP with our Free Company and have yet to attend any events or do any "public" RP in bars or whatever, so I've suggested to just go with it if it would be okay with our other FC members, since they're the only people whose RP would be affected by this decision, but it makes the lore hound in both of us cringe a little.

Thoughts?

I use the Paladin Relic ooc for Erik because I like the look. That said I clear it IC by saying Erik liked the legend and the look of the blade in old books that he had a COPY made to use for his personal Sworn blade. As a rule of thumb, if you like a piece of one of a kind gear, best to claim your's as a copy.

RE: Warrior AF Armor... IC? - Marisa - 10-31-2014

I wouldn't dare claim to have the actual warrior AF, but couldn't he just use the set and claim it's normal armor? I mean, it's just metal, leather, and fur, right?

RE: Warrior AF Armor... IC? - Kellach Woods - 10-31-2014

That's not what he's talking about - He wants to use the Inner Beast/AF theme that the armor allows you to amplify the Inner Beast's power at the cost of control over it, RPing on themes of loss of control over the Inner Beast and the dire consequences it can bring.

At least that's what I understood - nothing prevents him from doing that (thanks to Sounsyy's suggestion!), but also nothing prevents him from doing that with a different approach that doesn't require acceptance that Job Quest elements are for him and him alone.

RE: Warrior AF Armor... IC? - Sounsyy - 10-31-2014

I could see insisting on a replica if the Warrior Artifact Armor was unique... but it isn't. So I don't see what the problem is with Shoshopu's friend RPing as having a real set.

Warriors were commonplace only 100 years ago. In the grand scheme of things, it's not that long ago. And they actually do still exist today, just in Abalathia's Spine, which is on the other side of the Sea of Clouds above Ishgard. Becoming an IC Warrior as well as having authentic magicked Warrior Artifacts is one the easiest of the jobs to handwave away ICly.

Also, the Bravura is NOT a unique weapon, so another thing to easily have ICly.

Just because it's a job, doesn't mean it's taboo (unless lore states it is: BLM and WHM only technically). It just means it's old and not commonplace anymore.

RE: Warrior AF Armor... IC? - Jana - 10-31-2014

(10-31-2014, 10:22 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: I could see insisting on a replica if the Warrior Artifact Armor was unique... but it isn't. So I don't see what the problem is with Shoshopu's friend RPing as having a real set.

This, exactly. It's not the same as RPing while using the Curtana or the Azure Dragoon soulstone.