Hydaelyn Role-Players
Using Dungeons for RP - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Using Dungeons for RP (/showthread.php?tid=8870)

Pages: 1 2 3

Using Dungeons for RP - Stormsrage00 - 11-04-2014

Here's a little something on which I'd like to get the community's opinion!

I had an idea to use the settings of the dungeons in FFXIV as RP scenarios outside of their roles in the MSQ.

For example, if I wanted to RP invading a generic pirate band's lair I would use Sastasha. Or if I wanted to build a scenario where my character was in search of a "special ore" I could take a party through Copperbell Mine and say it's "Random Mine X."

Has anyone done this successfully in the past? Would anyone be open to the idea? Just gauging reactions because I'm finally looking to kick start something with Theodorik. He's been laying dormant for far too long in the RP community.

Thanks everyone! Big Grin

RE: Using Dungeons for RP - Siha - 11-04-2014

I think someone has actually discussed this in the past! As far as I know IC dungeons have been done plenty times successfully, personally I've never had the pleasure so I can't give first hand account but I've heard of them being done and going well from friends.

Now to something I'm more useful on, I think they're a very fun idea, I like the setting and atmosphere for most of the dungeons and personally I'd jump at the chance to do one eventually.

RE: Using Dungeons for RP - Berrod Armstrong - 11-04-2014

(11-04-2014, 07:04 PM)Stormsrage00 Wrote: Here's a little something on which I'd like to get the community's opinion!

I had an idea to use the settings of the dungeons in FFXIV as RP scenarios outside of their roles in the MSQ.

For example, if I wanted to RP invading a generic pirate band's lair I would use Sastasha. Or if I wanted to build a scenario where my character was in search of a "special ore" I could take a party through Copperbell Mine and say it's "Random Mine X."

Has anyone done this successfully in the past? Would anyone be open to the idea? Just gauging reactions because I'm finally looking to kick start something with Theodorik. He's been laying dormant for far too long in the RP community.

Thanks everyone! Big Grin
My FC does this sort of thing all the time! Go for it, it's TONS of fun.

RE: Using Dungeons for RP - FreelanceWizard - 11-04-2014

Yep! This is one of several ways I do dungeons ICly, though rarely are they tied to some larger plotline. For instance, for Tam-Tara Hard Mode, I've gone with "some uncovered ruin that some cultists have gotten into." Qarn is great because it can be any ruin or lost temple, particularly if it's located in the Sagolii.

The only problem you might encounter is the timer. While I find that, if things go well, I usually have a good 45 minutes to an hour for RP in the dungeon, a fight going south or spending too much time in one spot can result in running out of time. That may or may not be a concern for you, though.

RE: Using Dungeons for RP - Stormsrage00 - 11-04-2014

Thanks guys! I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a strange taboo within the community.

RE: Using Dungeons for RP - SaintEaon - 11-04-2014

We used to do that all the time in EQ2 when we would run heritage quests. Always the best of times.

RE: Using Dungeons for RP - Hunfrid - 11-04-2014

rIts doable. But as stated before, be mindful of the timer.

I lead an rp through I think TamTara.
Before and after each boss, we paused for about 10 minutes of rp.
After that, we went through Haukke Manor because some of the crazy Dalamud priests/fanatics tried to continue their work there.
They were presumed dead by the time the party got there, killed by either the voidsent or the mistress.
My character that I rp'd with was haunted for a while after the mistress was downed.

RE: Using Dungeons for RP - Parvacake - 11-04-2014

My FC does weekly IC dungeon runs every Sunday and they're LOADS of fun Smile

RE: Using Dungeons for RP - Reshie - 11-04-2014

Tons of fun! My FC has done them in the past and we've thoroughly enjoyed it. Big Grin

RE: Using Dungeons for RP - Coatleque - 11-04-2014

Coatleque has taken two Sultansworn initiates (and one additional Sworn) into Halatali (HM) before under an investigation of rumors that a rogue thaumaturge was summoning a powerful voidsent to unleash against Ul'dah. Along the way they had to deal with not only his other abominations of nature, but the mercenaries he hired.

It was quite fun. You can go slow, at the pace you need, and chose any party makeup you want. We were 3 PLD 1 WHM in this case.

Natalie and Coatleque did the same thing for another paladin in training a few months ago, going into Haukke Manor (NM).

And YATAG did something recently where a group of us went into Cutter's Cry to push back the ants and other animals that were encroaching on an Ul'dahn trade route nearby.

RE: Using Dungeons for RP - Stormsrage00 - 11-04-2014

Wow you guys are creative! You're all giving me ideas of which I hadn't even thought Smile

RE: Using Dungeons for RP - TheShii - 11-04-2014

It's easily doable, and I've done it myself in several mmo's before. Just gotta find those willing to run it as well as capable of running and rp'ing it Smile

RE: Using Dungeons for RP - Nebbs - 11-05-2014

I did this a lot in other games and in FFXIV I have done a few. I will post um my own GM notes of THIS ONE  I did and also a picture story Ilwe'ran made of another we did (when I get home).

I am also planning to do some more in the near future.

It is definately a thing. I would suggest though that you need to overlay your story on it and maybe provide your own description. There are also some mechanics around making it more realistic and not just speed running through. The aim is to RP, not complete the dungeon.

RE: Using Dungeons for RP - Steel Wolf - 11-05-2014

Dungeons as set pieces are always welcome, for sure.  Giving your RP group a goal and task that can be written around the setting of a dungeon are some of the more engaging RP events I've taken part in.

Totally love it.  Absolutely support it.

RE: Using Dungeons for RP - Erik Mynhier - 11-05-2014

Erik a month or so ago got a "letter" asking for help from a fellow exile priest in Dragonhead. Seems some orphans had been going missing and Erik and his friends journeyed there. Me and 7 others rped for about two hours, searching out clues and having a blast until we learned the kids had been "taken" by a "troll" that was hold up on a "big bridge". We defeated the troll and save the kids. So we Rp'ed a trial, it was fun. Not a dungeon, but almost, we just changed the mob's name to protect against special snowflake.... we didn't fight Gilgamesh, we killed a troll.