Hydaelyn Role-Players
Learning the Broad Strokes (OPEN) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Learning the Broad Strokes (OPEN) (/showthread.php?tid=9201)

Pages: 1 2 3

Learning the Broad Strokes (OPEN) - Steel Wolf - 12-08-2014

Idle flakes of snow fluttered down along the parapets and stone ground of the Whitebrim Front training grounds. The duties of the Holy See's knights were unremarkable, but practiced with quiet precision....perhaps to keep as much personal heat within as possible. The wind was still this day, mercifully, but the cold of Coerthas' peaks was as unrelenting as the resolve of those at station.

A fitting place for one to practice her technique.

Steel Wolf's was the only voice that was audible above the dull murmuring voices and muffled quiet of the snowfall. She roared and grunted with every swing of her axe as the fearsome weapon was carried through against a training dummy which was beginning to show the considerable wear of her efforts. Steel was hardly dressed for the elements--simple boots, a pair of leather bottoms, and a threadbare leather halter that only served to cover a woman's modesty. Her muscles strained and stretched in brutal beauty as she carried her weapon along its cadence. Steam rose off her pale-grey skin as sweat met the chill air. It felt good. It kept her moving at lengths of time that were not conducive to heat or to a more controlled climate--cold enough to refresh, but biting enough to provide resistance to her efforts.

Another loud yell. Another loud thunk. She was becoming agitated, but not in the manner as was shown her by the Marauder's Guild. Her rage was not focused through her axe edge, but rather on it, as the weapon buried itself in to the dummy's side. A lethal blow, but one that held her weapon put, leaving her open and halting her follow-through. Steel growled and freed the weapon from its prison, reset her stance, and tried again.

One.

Two.

Th--THUNK

Again, the weapon was lodged. Steel swore and forced her shoulder in to the haft of the axe, muscles pushing against the resistance. The weapon's edge freed itself, following through the rest of her stroke with a ringing of vibrating metal and the clattering of splintering wood. Her axehead clanged loudly in to the stone and Steel stepped to, following the momentum of the weapon's weight before standing there, panting.

She had been at this for hours, but still wasn't quite clear what was causing her poor form. She replayed the lessons in her mind, watched herself from a distance at her body's stance and swing's form. It all looked correct, but it wasn't connecting somehow. She swore to herself again, hefting the axe once more in a ready stance. It would be nice if someone would show her what she was missing.

Before she could start again, a voice called out behind her. "Madam! I believe that target is quite defeated. You will clear this ground to make way for the Holy See's detail."

Steel slowly looked over her shoulder, golden eye glaring at the speaker. She was a guest to this fort, to be sure....but she was hardly in the mood to be interrupted. The rest of her body turned, eyes locking upon the Ishgardian knight. She slowly stalked forward, the edge of the axe scraping viciously against the cold stone floor. She swung the weapon forward, the grinding sound ringing out in a metallic ring as the weapon's haft rested upon her shoulder. She was a mere foot away from the knight now, glowering down upon him. The knight, to his credit, did not waver from his position, but his body language had dropped considerably from one of command to one of apology.

"I will not clear this field until I am satisfied in my training...or I am shown ample instruction. And unless you wish to provide me with a new target or an attempt to force me thus...you will make your practice at another area of this ground."

Steel let the top points of her axe land on the stone with a loud thunk--an exclamation point to her threat. Her chest heaved as her breathing began to steady, but her muscles were not fully relaxed from her strain. She was ready for more...instruction or a fight, it mattered not. Though instruction was clearly preferred.

RE: Learning the Broad Strokes (OPEN) - Steel Wolf - 12-10-2014

((OOC bump. Please play wif meh T^T Surely there's other Rawriors looking for a student?))

RE: Learning the Broad Strokes (OPEN) - Zhavi - 12-10-2014

((I would totes play with you but. . . but . . . my arbitrary decision to remain locked to Limsa has kept me out of more rp opportunities then I would like to admit. Tongue ))

RE: Learning the Broad Strokes (OPEN) - DrPoxo - 12-10-2014

The snow crunched under foot with each methodical step thewoman took. The sea wolf stopped and adjusted the canvas sack containing her latest catch before squinting through the clouds her breath made at the gathering snow. Occasionally the contents of the sack would twitch and squirm throwing off its balance. The heavy cloak she wore over her armor gave a flutter as the wind picked up giving her more indication of the coming snow. She returned her sights to her destination and continued her march.

The sound of scrapping metal caught Matahina’s attention asshe passed the training field. The large woman halted her movement to examine the scene. Her piercing gaze crossed over the worn dummy and the groove from the dragged axe before settling on the pair that seemed to be holding in a standoff.

“Judging from how you are holding your axe it would bebetter for you to clear the field.” Matahina said as she approached the pair trying to diffuse the situation. “Take a rest; a field that has rested gives a bountiful crop.”

RE: Learning the Broad Strokes (OPEN) - McBeefâ„¢ - 12-10-2014

(12-10-2014, 09:07 AM)Steel Wolf Wrote: ((OOC bump. Please play wif meh T^T Surely there's other Rawriors looking for a student?))

I would but Eva can't go to Coethas :< )

Show Content

Steel turned her stern gaze to the new speaker. As if by magic, the muscles in Steel's arms and shoulders began to scream in agony, tightening in response to the strain and the cold. Regardless, she growled and hitched the haft of her weapon into the baldric that was lashed to her.

"I'm not done. I'm merely resting..." ,she said, spitting once at the ground before storming off. The Ishgardian knight audibly sighed his relief and nodded a silent thanks to the interdicting speaker before drawing his detail forward for their practice.

Steel strode in front of the woman. She was still in a sour mood, even though the advice was sound. Regardless, her inner beast had not been quelled. "You speak reasonable wisdom, but forgot t'figure that my 'field' has yet t'be ready. I was not. Done."

Matahina cocked her head to the side as she questioned the woman that now stood in front of her. “And what constitutes as done? Cleaving this target in half or passing out from exhaustion?”

Her gaze passed back to the guard. “How long until the detail arrives here,” she questioned trying to find a way to get the woman to clear without much more hassle.

As if on cue, the soldiers awaiting use of the training ground marched to and lined up for muster. The lead knight bowed at the waist in thanks to Matahina before leading his troop forward in their exercises.

Steel scowled again, her fingers curling and uncurling. She raced to answer the woman's question. What was the end point? Why was she not finished? Obviously her technique was lacking as she wasn't able to carry through with her strokes as she had been shown. But everything she did wasn't working! Stupid weapon. Stupid dummy catching the stupid weapon--it was all so incredibly infuriating!

Steel wrenched her eyes shut and threw up her hands in agitated defeat. "Baah...hell with it...I guess I'll need a soddin' break afore I punch th'stones outta these bloody walls."

Matahina gave a nod in acknowledgement of the knight’s bow before looking at the line up. She once again readjusted the sack on her shoulder as the noises of the exercise filled the air. Her gaze returned to the other woman with her outburst.

“Knowing when to swing your axe is just as important as swinging it.” Matahina said with a friendly tone. “And swinging it once more here would have most likely resulted in not swinging it again for a long while. I’ll buy you a drink, as you still owe me an answer or I can part and you can attempt to disassemble this holding.”

RE: Learning the Broad Strokes (OPEN) - Steel Wolf - 12-11-2014

Sense was finally beginning to grip Steel as the surging of her inner beast began to subside. The woman before her was very clearly trying to impart wisdom to her. It was high time that Steel listened.

It was also high time that she get indoors, as her outfit was now beginning to be an unwise choice for simply standing about in the snow.

Steel nodded. "Aye. Aye, we should get inside. My apologies, friend. My focus is...well...narrowed. Let's away from the elements--you've a catch to deliver and I should wrap up."

RE: Learning the Broad Strokes (OPEN) - DrPoxo - 12-11-2014

“I am a long ways from making this delivery and the cold air keeps it fresh, anyways, so do not worry about that.” Matahina said before scanning the area once more before turning and walking towards the lodgings. Her foots steps making an audible noise of her armor now that she walked on paved road.

Steel nodded as she walked alongside the woman towards the lodgings. "By th'way, name's Sthalwilf Haemrstymmwyn...or Steel Wolf if that's easier." She offered the woman a small smile, still feeling a bit sheepish about her behavior earlier.

“Sthalwif, eh, I am Matahina Umugame Pathfinder Warden of the Order of the Compass.” She said stopping long enough to give a slight bow. “You can shorten it however you want or even call me by any name that pleases you. Are you fresh blood in these holdings or just here for the scenery to destroy with your wild swings?”

Steel chuckled, taking the jab at her technique in stride. Seconds earlier the remark likely would have earned the speaker an uppercut. However, she was right--upon brief inner reflection, she was no more practiced than a woodcutter trying to hack down an oak with a comb.

"No, I'm just here because I like t'train here. The climate suits my purposes and it's not quite as crowded as the facilities in a place such as Ul'dah." ,she replied. "A pleasure t'meet your acquaintance, Matahina. Can't say I'd heard'a your Order, though...or have any what a 'Pathfinder Warden' is. You in th'habit of fishin' and offerin' battleaxe advice?"

She grinned brightly at the woman as the pair reached the stairs to the lodgings area of Whitebrim. Already the heat of a wall-ensconced torch was beginning to warm her skin.

“The order is a small free company based out of Ul’dah. I do not blame you for not hearing about it. It is my position as well as ward within the order to find my own path and aide others in blazing their own trail. So yes, fishing and giving advice is what I do.” Matahina gave a small laugh at the last part she said.

As they entered, she unlatched her heavy cloak, letting it fall open. “While it might be quieter here, you will have to become a hermit if you do not want to share or build your own.”