Hydaelyn Role-Players
RP Consequences of Main Storyline (minor spoilers) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: RP Consequences of Main Storyline (minor spoilers) (/showthread.php?tid=922)

RP Consequences of Main Storyline (minor spoilers) - Kikoro - 12-27-2010

I apologize in advance if this topic has been discussed before... I skimmed the subjects in this section and nothing sprung to attention, but if I have been remiss, a link to the thread would be most appreciated!

I try to keep the question as general and spoiler-free as I can.

Every character we create begins the game by listening to the "Hear. Feel. Think." words, and then by witnessing a starshower.

Of course, it stands to reason that the specific incidents should not be part of any individual storyline, obviously the same origin event cannot have happened to every character.

However, the story that follows
Show Content
strongly implies that the characters are part of a category of 'chosen' adventurers, being granted the same mysterious (and very useful) ability for equally mysterious reasons. We're talking hundreds, maybe thousands of adventurers -- room for everyone. Each would have his own path to follow, but those paths would lead to the eventual discovery of that power.

My question: is there a consensus on how to handle this complication in our RP? Should it
Show Content
be entirely left out of our RP options, or should it be allowed to every character (and/or NPC) that wants in?

Please share some wisdom! Tonberry

Re: RP Consequences of Main Storyline (minor spoilers) - Seraphine Felstar - 12-27-2010

I usually like to make up my own stories for my character and stay away from the game plot. Of course, my character will have knowledge of an event if I've done a certain mission, but she'll never claim she personally did something.

However, if someone wants to RP a mission/quest I'm not going to stop them since it's all personal preference. Unless it's having a negative impact on me, someone else, or is a blatant disregard for common sense, I'm not going to tell anyone what to do with their character.

Re: RP Consequences of Main Storyline (minor spoilers) - Merri - 12-28-2010

I'm just going to throw this all in a spoiler because it's probably all going to fit into that category in some way, shape, or form. Obviously, don't read on if you want to avoid spoilers of the storyline.

And of course, any responses to this should be tossed in spoiler tags as well. Then again, this whole thread has potential for them, so people coming here will hopefully respect that.

Show Content

So, yes. I believe roleplayers shouldn't be afraid to tackle this. You can do it, you just have to be careful, as you do with any roleplay. If some one can make it work, I'm sure it would make for absolutely amazing roleplay. Square set it up for it make sense for many people to have it. As you stated ,it is mentioned that hundreds, of not thousands of Adventurer's are beginning to wake up to the Echo. It's by no means something that is rare, and would be "Cliche" to have. Roleplayers shouldn't look down upon people who choose to use it, but there will always be stiffs who can't afford to give anyone any form of creativity. You just need to be able to look past those people. Just take a dive. Like I did in giving Endemerrin an artificial limb powered my Magitek. Was it a bit out there? Sure. But you can make it fit into the world with a little elbow grease. This subject already has the groundwork laid out for you.

If it's something you want to do, don't let anyone stop you if there's no harm being done to others. Go wild and have fun, because that's what it's all about.

Re: RP Consequences of Main Storyline (minor spoilers) - Sterne - 12-28-2010

Seraphine Wrote:I usually like to make up my own stories for my character and stay away from the game plot. Of course, my character will have knowledge of an event if I've done a certain mission, but she'll never claim she personally did something.

However, if someone wants to RP a mission/quest I'm not going to stop them since it's all personal preference. Unless it's having a negative impact on me, someone else, or is a blatant disregard for common sense, I'm not going to tell anyone what to do with their character.

I think the style in which I created my own back-story meets you half way.

I usually like to keep my story somewhat connected to the main arch of the game, while making key diversions to maintain some semblance of uniqueness. In other words, creating enough diversions to make it my own.

With the way my characters story is developing, I'm purposefully staying away from including any of the missions I play through. In my head I'm enjoying the story that S:E has laid out for us as players, but acting out a story that's developed into something else with the people I RP with.

It works for me, and I still feel as if Sterne is a part of Eorzea and not just my own construct.

Show Content

Re: RP Consequences of Main Storyline (minor spoilers) - Dakki - 12-29-2010

Hm. Most discerning news indeed. >_<

I say this because any of you that have read Thorik's History will know that he had infact encountered The Echo, so to speak. I am also ashamed to say I didn't read too far into this matter, so.. To avoid meta-gaming I can either wipe that from his History (Although then he would die, as technically it saved him), or re-write that part.. Eg. The Clangers!! (Sorry.. I call the music playing Moogle's that.. XD)

Either way, this information into 'The Echo' is greatly appreciated and once I'm done with coursework and the likes, will most likely get to work on his backstory..

Oh, and Sterne, we ALL know what you get up to.. Moogle (Kidding, ofcourse. Unless you do, in which case.. I am ashamed of you!! XD)

Re: RP Consequences of Main Storyline (minor spoilers) - SamusKnight2K - 12-30-2010

I think as long as someone gives consent to use the Echo, doesn't try going about telling everyone by blabbing about the hidden group, and doesn't try to act out every piece of the main storyline, I just might accept the whole use of the Echo. For example, no doubt in the way the FF stories usually go, our characters will most likely somehow save Eorzea from a grim fate. That said, not everyone can suddenly be the "hero" of the day and save the lands. In fact if someone even tries this my character will downright look at them as if they're nuts. If you try to forcefully do something using the Echo without my consent (IE read something that was written OOC and suddenly bring this up ICly without any way of knowing outside of Echo use.) I will flat out blist you on the spot and just pretend your character had a mental breakdown right there, whatever amuses me.

Quite honestly I'm strongly against the use of the Echo, even if it can be tweaked with a little use, as according to the storyline, none are supposed to even be aware of this ability, or even speak of it. And in fact, as the storyline goes... Should you be found out, expect others to either want to kill you, have you exiled, thrown in jail and locked away, or utterly shunned. From what I can see, I don't believe it actually alters a history or what happened, but the person you used the Echo on just may realize you're not actually a part of that should you be seen in the memory. At that time, the person on the outside, will suddenly become aware you pulled some sort of strange ability and invaded their thoughts. So be careful, be VERY careful using this and either be prepared to be the victim of possible death threats IC, or hated ICly by many.

Re: RP Consequences of Main Storyline (minor spoilers) - Kikoro - 12-30-2010

I want to thank everyone for the thoughtful answers.

I agree with every single point you have made (and the information from further down the road was invaluable, thank you Rain for taking the time to type it down).

After a bit of further meditation, I am adding my own humble take on the subject.

Show Content

Just my 0.02 gil, of course.

Re: RP Consequences of Main Storyline (minor spoilers) - Don Miqot'e - 01-05-2011

Echo, in my own opinon, is part of FF 14's universe, so it can not easily be forgotten when writing out characters and events. I believe it is a tool, and like any tool, it may have its own deft touch to get it to work correctly. The difference, however, seems to lie in the fact that it is considerably more touchy. The difference between surgery and stacking boxes.