Hydaelyn Role-Players
The season of giving! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The season of giving! (/showthread.php?tid=9264)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: The season of giving! - Martiallais - 12-17-2014

(12-16-2014, 03:02 PM)Merri Wrote:
(12-16-2014, 11:26 AM)Zarek Wrote: Ha! I'll try to spot you in the OpenRP LS when I'm about on Zarek.

I'm actually not in the pearl. It's been full for some time, as far as I know, so I haven't really gotten around to inquiring about it~

I'll try and keep an eye out for you, either way. :>

Thanks again for dropping all the stuff on me! My i-level thanks you for it as do I! Big Grin

And don't worry, I'll be sure to hit folks up before I try to pug/duty finder things. Just last night Steel helped with an Amdapoor Keep run that was smoother than the proverbial Lala's backside!

RE: The season of giving! - Gegenji - 12-17-2014

(12-17-2014, 11:16 AM)Zarek Wrote: And don't worry, I'll be sure to hit folks up before I try to pug/duty finder things. Just last night Steel helped with an Amdapoor Keep run that was smoother than the proverbial Lala's backside!

Hey, no talking about my backside! Angry

Also, Ampadoor's great fun once you get your gear levels up some. Then you can have the tank pulling lotsa stuff to blow up. I've had a couple runs where we were just seeing how long the bosses actually stayed up before they melted. Quite enjoyable.

RE: The season of giving! - Warren Castille - 12-17-2014

Haukke HM and Brayflox HM also provide a lot of fun in the "I'm pulling everything to the boss, kill it at the door" sorts of scenarios. Brayflox as a dungeon is only 4 pulls and 3 bosses, and after the series of doors/keys Haukke is 3.5 pulls (another key/door that a DPS can open during the AoEfest) and 3 bosses.

So tasty.

My favorite is still Darkhold. Sure it's only level 44, but being able to hold that entire mass of enemies just outside the first boss room is quite fun. Definitely gets you wanting to do it more in other places. I just have to get Chachan's PLD gear up to snuff so that he can do it without exploding in places where he doesn't have a crystal's protective light to back him up.

RE: The season of giving! - Steel Wolf - 12-17-2014

It was just nice to be in a dungeon where I didn't feel like I was under the crushing weight of judgment for not being superleet gearscore megatank plowing through things at the pace of an animated gif.

...which is precisely what Chan and Warren are describing.

Steel don't play that way. So...yea. Forewarning for everyone else. Haven't done this stuff since 2.1. I don't speed run. Blacklist me at your leisure. :3

(12-17-2014, 11:34 AM)Steel Wolf Wrote: It was just nice to be in a dungeon where I didn't feel like I was under the crushing weight of judgment for not being superleet gearscore megatank plowing through things at the pace of an animated gif.

Embrace your tank privilege. Set the pace of the run, point out you're still learning/gearing, and don't sweat the folks trying to make you rush. Take advice where it's offered politely, but don't pay much mind to the 115+ folks giving you guff. Tank threat is directly proportional to your weapon damage, so there's going to be a bit of a curve while you get acclimated. Anyone who doesn't understand that or wants you to pull as if you were wielding High Allagan has unrealistic expectations.

You'll hit the point where you're clustering fifteen things for Overpower spam, though. Please look forward to it.

RE: The season of giving! - Steel Wolf - 12-17-2014

(12-17-2014, 11:37 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: Embrace your tank privilege. Set the pace of the run, point out you're still learning/gearing, and don't sweat the folks trying to make you rush. Take advice where it's offered politely, but don't pay much mind to the 115+ folks giving you guff. Tank threat is directly proportional to your weapon damage, so there's going to be a bit of a curve while you get acclimated. Anyone who doesn't understand that or wants you to pull as if you were wielding High Allagan has unrealistic expectations.

You'll hit the point where you're clustering fifteen things for Overpower spam, though. Please look forward to it.

Gods, I love this. I love this post. "Embrace your tank privilege". Dammit, Warren, I'd kiss you if I knew I wouldn't be shield-slapped as a result of my doing so.

...still would be worth it though. :3

Is tank privilege equal to or greater than healer privilege, though?

I only ask because I've pulled that with my healer main at times. Mostly with DPS who want to run off and pull things on their own because we're not moving fast enough... or can't keep it in their pants long enough for the tank to establish aggro. And to a lesser degree tanks who want to rush off while I'm still trying to get up Protect and Stoneskin and grab ALL THE THINGS without warning...

Conversely, I died (and was subsequently kicked for being a "noob") in the first of two Darkhold runs that got PLD to 50 because I said I was going to do the aforementioned big pull and the healer silently decided otherwise. All I got was a "wat r u doin!?" when they stopped at the second crystal and I was already at the last one. Cue the entire group apparently calling me a scrub tank who doesn't know what he's doing, a choice exchange of words, and then me getting kicked out.

... immediately got into another Darkhold with an awesome group and we plowed through the whole thing like it was nothing, minus a misstep where the BRD accidentally fell in the second part and brought friends.

Still, I think the best thing to have is friend privilege. Come in with pals and go at whatever pace you want. No need to worry about upsetting some strangers you'll probably never see again! Thumbsup

RE: The season of giving! - Kage - 12-17-2014

Yep there is definitely tank and healer privilege but the tank usually shines the most with it as the tank leads on through the dungeon and takes most of the damage.

But a tank is not without his healer. If a tank just face pulls and the healer doesn't like it, there will be bad times.

As a tank, if some bad things going on, you just let the mob deal with it. If the healer does not like it they'll heal. As a healer they'll definitely let the bad apple die. xD

(12-17-2014, 11:51 AM)Gegenji Wrote: No need to worry about upsetting some strangers you'll probably never see again! Thumbsup

If more people realized this was the case, there wouldn't be a tank shortage. That's a discussion for another thread, though!

RE: The season of giving! - K'nahli - 12-17-2014

Please update the opening post with the wishes or at least the unfulfilled wishes if it's not too much trouble ^^

RE: The season of giving! - C'kayah Polaali - 12-18-2014

(12-17-2014, 11:59 AM)Kage Wrote: Yep there is definitely tank and healer privilege but the tank usually shines the most with it as the tank leads on through the dungeon and takes most of the damage.

But a tank is not without his healer. If a tank just face pulls and the healer doesn't like it, there will be bad times.

As a tank, if some bad things going on, you just let the mob deal with it. If the healer does not like it they'll heal. As a healer they'll definitely let the bad apple die. xD

Exactly. As the saying goes, if the tank dies, it's the healer's fault. If the healer dies, it's the tank's fault. If the dps die, it's their own damn fault.

RE: The season of giving! - Warren Castille - 12-18-2014

Time to start blaming DPS for tank/healer deaths on account of "not killing things fast enough."

RE: The season of giving! - Ludivine Goultard - 12-18-2014

If I had one little wish, I guess that if someone could make some art of Ludivine, that would make me a very happy person. As for in-game stuff...I wish I could offer to help others, but I'm pitifully low-levelled. Even so, if there is another newbie out there, I will be happy to help! Just send a tell or friend request!

RE: The season of giving! - Aris - 12-18-2014

Another thing I could help with is if you need a healer! Perhaps you're leveling a DPS and queues are ridiculous. Send a tell and I'll come and heal a few and hopefully it'll help.