Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 12-17-2014

Bad things happen, it's a fact of life. People say that, but it doesn't make it any easier when it happens, does it? Sometimes you seethe quietly, sometimes you grumble to yourself, sometimes you want to shout your frustrations from the rooftops. And, at least for me, video games seem to cause some of the most interesting moments of personal rage. Second only, probably, to other motorists.

So welcome to the Vent Tent - a place where you can air grievances about bad things in FFXIV. Did you slog through Syrcus Tower with an alliance that seemed to have no idea what they're doing, only to low roll on that last sand you needed so you never had to come back again? Were you doing a map fight and lag decided to jump in and allowed the monster to casually curbstomp you while you banged angrily on your computer case in a desperate attempt to hurry up? Or maybe you just want to complain about those enemies 10 levels lower than you who always seem to aggro onto you when you're trying to do any of the dozens of quests that require you to channel something.

Now, please note, while this thread is a place for you to complain... I do want to set some ground rules.

1.) First and foremost, do not name names. In fact, if you think posting your grievances will start a flame war with someone else on the forum, don't do it. Or, if some otherworldly force compels you to post it anyway, make it as vague as possible. Say "the healer" did this or "the tank" did that, or that "the DPS" screwed up royally.

2.) Don't poke the bearbehemoth. Conversation over the events posted are fine, but if people start taking it personally or getting heated? Drop it and move on.

3.) This thread isn't for getting on your soapbox. Just venting. Talk about that one time the Ninja thought this was FFXI and tried to tank. Do not talk about how all Ninjas are dumb and SE made a mistake by implementing them.

This is probably a horrible thread idea, but I think people can bond over negative things just as much as positive things through understanding and support. So, let's give this a shot and hope it doesn't go down in flames too quickly, huh?

~*~

I'll start with two things I'd like to vent about. I'll give them goofy little titles because it seems more amusing to do so.

Lag Me with a Spoon!
I think my biggest issue with FFXIV is the horrid lag that seems to pop up without rhyme or reason these days. Before, you could reasonably guess that "Oh, it's around 8pm, I should probably avoid queuing for dungeons." Nowadays, it seems to pop up in just the right moments to kick you in the teeth.

To wit, I lost a couple Alexandrites thanks to Surprise Lag. Of course, I was being dumb by doing the maps solo... but I was a three man team all by myself! (Scholar in Cleric Stance, Fairy, DPS Chocobo) I could always breeze through all of them just fine, with only a couple that were a bit more obnoxious (Mythril Golem and the Cyclops). And, of course, these are the ones that always seem to be the ones I'm fighting when SUDDENLY LAG.

I'm so glad I'm done with that step on my main, you have no idea.

And, since I main healer on that guy, nothing upsets me more when the tank I'm trying to heal dies because the game decides to hiccup. One second everything's fine, then that heart-dropping pause, and suddenly your Warrior and Monk are dead and the boss is coming over to violently make friends with your molars. Oh, and your Quickcast-Rez didn't go off because the lag meant it didn't see you click the rez afterward... so instead you quickcast that heal you queued up afterward and your tank's still dead!

HATE the lag.

Noob Kid on the Block
This one was more recent, and folks that were on the LS with me at the time probably remember me both being amused and annoyed by it.

Was trying to get PLD over that hump to 50, random dungeon roulette, hit Darkhold. Love Darkhold. You can pull everything in the first section to the room before the boss and watch the numbers fly as you're only being hit for... 50 damage tops?

So! I say that I want to pull all the mobs to the last room and wait for any questions or dissent. Nothing. Waddle my way down towards the first group of mobs, they follow. Okay, they must be cool with it, right?

Healer stops at the second crystal and demands to know what I'm doing (in cell phone quicktalk, i.e. "wat u doin!?") after I already have everything in the last room. I die, DPS dies. We respawn and healer says I'm a noob tank that doesn't know what I'm doing. I try to explain that I've done it plenty of times before and that the crystal's light reduces damage to almost nothing. In return, I just get continually insulted and the DPS jumps in on it too.

I get frustrated, I start snapping back a few insults myself. Oh, I'm sorry, the guy who's leveled PLD to 50 TWICE and has run this place more times than he can count to get the Harlequin set (I didn't know you could just buy it off the AH, shutup. Cry ) doesn't know what can and can't be done in the place? Sure thing, kid. Healer gets defensive, saying "People running Coil don't take this kind of talk!" I ask if that means he's run Coil, no reply.

Finally I get tired of standing around and try to start the instance again, one pull at a time this time. I'm still a bit salty, though, so when I'm tanking the enemies in the glow of the first crystal, I offhandedly remark that I haven't been hit for more than 50 damage, and that was on a crit. Healer immediately calls BS and starts trying to chew me out again, so I just start listing the numbers popping up on my screen. Calmly ask how the view was from so deep up his own behind, since I've moved beyond caring at that point and just want to finish the dungeon.

We get to the last room before the first boss, the one I had pulled everything to before. I grab the whole room there because... that's what you do, right? Get to the crystal, eat my first hit, and then removed from the dungeon. Vote-kicked, surprised it didn't happen sooner with how much they were ragging on me.

Re-queue, get the same instance with a new group. Ask if I can pull everything to the last room, healer says go for it. I do so and we decimate everything (even if the WHM was on fumes at the end). We then proceed to steamroll through the rest of the dungeon. Happy ending~

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Warren Castille - 12-17-2014

Long live the Vent Tent. Like the Flameboard and Gimp/Confused/WTF?! before it, I approve of this concept.

Keep it on point, keep it anonymous. If you think someone's posting something you did, take it to PMs. This is for us to stand around and shout "YEAH, EFF THAT" with one another.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 12-17-2014

There's a summoner I've run into several times in trials who thinks it is the best thing ever to macro stupid ass "fancy??" lines with -every- -single- -dot- used. How cute, you thought it was witty huh?

Don't crowd my party chat with crap every time you used Miasma. Yay Miasma. Boo hoo. OMG YOU USED BIO TOO? AND BIO II? ZOMG.

Stop that BS. I accept that shit for the one offs like Swift Raises or Benediction, Hallowed, Berserk... things people need to know. Stop using it on moves that you use multiple times because it's in your rotations.

It's obnoxious.

... and I've seen ninjas do it. Stop it. Stop it. Stop this stupid macro+witty line behavior with abilities you use often D:!!!!!!

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Warren Castille - 12-17-2014

(12-17-2014, 01:21 PM)Kage Wrote: There's a summoner I've run into several times in trials who thinks it is the best thing ever to macro stupid ass "fancy??" lines with -every- -single- -dot- used. How cute, you thought it was witty huh?

Don't crowd my party chat with crap every time you used Miasma. Yay Miasma. Boo hoo. OMG YOU USED BIO TOO? AND BIO II? ZOMG.

Stop that BS. I accept that shit for the one offs like Swift Raises or Benediction, Hallowed, Berserk... things people need to know. Stop using it on moves that you use multiple times because it's in your rotations.

It's obnoxious.

... and I've seen ninjas do it. Stop it. Stop it. Stop this stupid macro+witty line behavior with abilities you use often D:!!!!!!

Show Content

Boost has a 15 second recast.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Oli! - 12-17-2014

(12-17-2014, 01:21 PM)Kage Wrote: There's a summoner I've run into several times in trials who thinks it is the best thing ever to macro stupid ass "fancy??" lines with -every- -single- -dot- used. How cute, you thought it was witty huh?

It's obnoxious.

I'm going to make a macro that makes a witty thing happen every time I post on the boards.

Just for you.

Come at me broooooo

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Dogberry - 12-17-2014

I am absolutely sick of people railing against PUGS. Yeah, OK, you might get a crappy PUG every now and then, but people are so focused on the negative they forget the good PUGS.

Even if you get a bad one, just let it slide. They're dogs! The fact that they can even play video games is AMAZING!

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 12-17-2014

I hate you all. /whimper

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 12-17-2014

(12-17-2014, 01:25 PM)Dogberry Wrote: I am absolutely sick of people railing against PUGS. Yeah, OK, you might get a crappy PUG every now and then, but people are so focused on the negative they forget the good PUGS.

Even if you get a bad one, just let it slide. They're dogs! The fact that they can even play video games is AMAZING!

[Image: 2014-08-19-336.png]

It's funny, though. I've actually had very little problems with PuGs. Fairly decent groups all around. I think it's that fact that makes the ones like I posted stand out all the more.

As for the little frills put onto their calls? I can definitely see doing it for those big spells as mentioned. Or abilities people need other people to be aware of - rezzes going out, provokes, un-overlappable buffs and debuffs like Eye for an Eye or Virus. If you're going to draw attention to it, might as well make it interesting (saw someone using FFT's incantation for Flare as a BLM, which was interesting... though a bit less so over time since he used it so much). But for mundane things? I haven't come across that yet, but I bet it'd be annoying.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Unnamed Mercenary - 12-17-2014

I ~firmly dislike~ it when DPS run past me and start chaining mobs I'm not ready to either heal through or  tank. Usually seen via Duty Finder.

--

What I -really- hate though, is when I'm the tank and I let the party down because I lose focused or accidentally point the boss in a bad place. Totally caused a couple wipes in a place last night because I was half-awake and gaming.

RUNNING THROUGH QARN HM TAKES SO LONG. WHY IS THE SORTCUT SO FAR BACK??!

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Melkire - 12-17-2014

Folks who rail against players with subpar machines/connections who then proceed to die to Landslide are my pet peeve. Dear sirs and madams, not everyone has a tower with top-of-the-line processors and cards, nor do they necessarily have god-like internet service providers. And let's not forget all the faulty nodes between them and the data centers. Oh, and the aggravating fact that this game features server-side positioning which requires you to pop CDs to force the servers to update your position from where you where ~1.5 seconds ago

I think my ultimate gripe at this point though is still HOLY SHIT THE MAT DROP RATES IN THE HARD ROULETTE DUNGEONS ARE STILL REALLY HIGH JESUS F#&% SQUARE GET OFF YOUR ASS AND FIX THIS THE ONLY REASON FOR ANYONE TO USE THOSE GEAR PIECES FOR MORE THAN A DAY IS GLAMOUR, YOU STUPID SH*TS!

Healers with 5k HP who don't DPS i70 dungeons. Dragoons who don't use heavy thrust. Ninja that don't use DoTs. Monks that don't AoE. Bards that don't use songs where appropriate. Melee who use limit break under 5% of a boss. Mages who don't use limit break if there's no melee. People who die to landslide. People who immediately call lag after dying to landslide. Dying to landslide as a result of lag and no one believing me when I call it out.

Healers who complain if I mass-pull low-gear content. DPS who don't know how to kill packs of enemies (doomspike, do you speak it?). Healers who complain I go Sword Oath to Ifrit while having more health than BiS-i90 tanks did when the content was new. Tanks who don't realize they overgear trial fights and still use Shield Oath/Defiance. Anyone who doesn't use cooldowns. Obnoxious chat macros.

Paladins who complain about everyone else.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 12-17-2014

(12-17-2014, 01:34 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: What I -really- hate though, is when I'm the tank and I let the party down because I lose focused or accidentally point the boss in a bad place. Totally caused a couple wipes in a place last night because I was half-awake and gaming.

I get the same feeling when I screw up a heal or miss an add running off to punch somebody. Going for that clutch Lustrate and failing is... depressing, to say the least. Especially on that last couple groups of mobs in HM Natasha. All I can do if the tank pulls both packs is spam heals while crying "WHY DO THEY HIT SO HARD?"

And I totally feel you on those drop rates, Melkire. I was originally gunning for the Divine Harvest set for my Scholar before going for the military tactician/SCIENCE! look. Nothing more annoying than trudging through the bosses just to get a Potash and maybe the earring or something.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Melkire - 12-17-2014

(12-17-2014, 01:42 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Monks that don't AoE.

You get one instance of PB'd Rockbreaker x5 to go with my Howling Fist. Arm of the Destroyer is absolutely awful potency for its TP cost (and honestly should be reserved solely for silencing and for pushing away the bombs in Brayflox HM), so if I'm going to be going through the standard Raptor -> Coeurl -> Opo-opo rotation to reach Rockbreaker anyway, it's usually far more efficient for me to be Demo'ing and ToD'ing each mob before returning to Rockbreaker spam.

People who expect Monks to AoE more than that need to be beaten over the head with a two-by-four. We're not BLMs, BRDs, or even DRGs. Technically speaking, even NINs have better AoE than we do.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - McBeefâ„¢ - 12-17-2014

I don't like people who don't say hi back when I say it during a pug.

You know who you are.

Watch your back.

(12-17-2014, 01:47 PM)Melkire Wrote:
(12-17-2014, 01:42 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Monks that don't AoE.

You get one instance of PB'd Rockbreaker x5 to go with my Howling Fist. Arm of the Destroyer is absolutely awful potency for its TP cost (and honestly should be reserved solely for silencing and for pushing away the bombs in Brayflox HM), so if I'm going to be going through the standard Raptor -> Coeurl -> Opo-opo rotation to reach Rockbreaker anyway, it's usually far more efficient for me to be Demo'ing and ToD'ing each mob before returning to Rockbreaker spam.

People who expect Monks to AoE more than that need to be beaten over the head with a two-by-four. We're not BLMs, BRDs, or even DRGs. Technically speaking, even NINs have better AoE than we do.

This is specifically what I was thinking about. YOU GET PERFECT BALANCE AND ROCKBREAKER IS AWESOME, USE IT.

Also, against big pulls (talking 4+) I think Rockbreaker outperforms. You need something ridiculous like 9+ before AotD becomes "worth" using, and even then, you should be PB/RBing that part.

OH, THAT REMINDS ME. NINS WHO DROP THE AOE ON SINGLE TARGET ENEMIES.