Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Warren Castille - 05-04-2016

Better to wait in queue than get either.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Valence - 05-04-2016

I guess my tolerance treshold is pretty low... As long as we do the dungeon without stupid bullshit like blatant mistakes or trolls or just facepalm worthy stuff... 

I might get a bit cranky with ludicrously bad DPS players when like last time I ran Sohm Al the ninja was doing less DPS than the tank (somewhere close to the AST heal). I mean, how can you perform so poorly? But what can I say? "Hey dude i'm parsing you and your DPS is abysmal!" and then get reported and banned?

But that's fortunately rare enough.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - ExAtomos - 05-04-2016

Few weeks back, I got 3 hardcore raiders (I checked lodestone after the run) in the Antitower, WAR and I forgot the other dps classes. I barely had to heal at all. Stuff just melted in front of them. We're talking 1 set of adds/mechanics per boss. All I could think of afterwards was:

oh.

Man... did I even need to be there? Undecided

I definitely learned the difference between those that try (or can, in this case) and those that just don't bother (when you get to the 4th round of mechanics on a boss and start thinking "is the dps really low here, or am I imagining things?"). I get having an off day or whatever, we all have em, but when all 4 members of the party are the "just gonna coast" sort... it certainly drags things down.

That being said, I got a bouncy DRK in expert recently. He was jumping and moving back and forth around the room so much (not due to aoe)... and we had a MNK in the party. Sad I asked if he could try holding things still for the MNK, but no dice. ADHD maybe? Not sure.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Aaron - 05-04-2016

(05-04-2016, 09:56 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: Better to wait in queue than get either.
Now you're just being pessimistic.

Also that makes no sense. You dont know who you'll get for a dungeon while in que but if you're going to drop because you got a casual party member then you're only extending your own time wasted by waiting 30 more minutes lol

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Warren Castille - 05-04-2016

(05-04-2016, 10:04 AM)Aaron Wrote:
(05-04-2016, 09:56 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: Better to wait in queue than get either.

Sort of. I'd rather wait for a run full of people trying than instantly get one full of people who aren't. I've been a grump more than usual lately, though. Anytime someone -could- be doing something to help a run go faster and isn't, and if I notice it, it gets on my nerves just a little bit. Lately I've had no nerves left.

I return to my original argument: If you don't want to do something, don't saddle yourself to three/seven other people who do.

(05-04-2016, 10:10 AM)Warren Castille Wrote:

Sort of. I'd rather wait for a run full of people trying than instantly get one full of people who aren't. I've been a grump more than usual lately, though. Anytime someone -could- be doing something to help a run go faster and isn't, and if I notice it, it gets on my nerves just a little bit. Lately I've had no nerves left.

I return to my original argument: If you don't want to do something, don't saddle yourself to three/seven other people who do.
Aha but what if the majority of the party is casual too!

A trick question this is. /interlocks fingers

(05-04-2016, 10:16 AM)Aaron Wrote:
(05-04-2016, 10:10 AM)Warren Castille Wrote:

Aha but what if the majority of the party is casual too!

A trick question this is. /interlocks fingers

Take 30 minute time-out, play Dark Souls.

Edit: Worth noting, I generally don't drop dungeons regardless of how long these things takes. I just bitch about it on linkshells and in here. TIME IS MONEY, FRIEND.

You were supposed to anime gasp and internal monologue about a answer that was so important it caused you to sweat. . .

Now I'm not sure how to reply. Fuck you Warren.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Caspar - 05-04-2016

(05-04-2016, 09:55 AM)Aaron Wrote: Better a lazy one than a bad one.
In a game like this where execution of basic mechanics is easy and barely more than a matter of reading a few tooltips, they are effectively the same.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - S'imba - 05-04-2016

If I'm being lazy and it's making another party member having to work harder to pick up the slack as a result then that's a problem. If I'm doing 50% of the entire party's dps because someone's being lazy that's unacceptable. I'm pretty certain as a drk that I could call myself mediocre at best. Which means I shouldn't queue for Thordan at i115 and be at the top of the dps charts. 
I tend to ask myself whether the reason we made it through the dungeon is did I mitigate damage acceptably or did the healer carry my ass? I want to prove that drk can match up to the other tanks when I queue. I shouldn't be hearing things like "wow a drk that actually uses cooldowns." 

Really I'd rather have someone who's trying to learn than someone too lazy to give a damn. Especially if I have to pick up the slack of that person. But that's just me, some people just don't want to care. Though I feel it kind of ruins credibility in threads like this whenew someone vents but then half asses their way through dungeons.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Jana - 05-04-2016

(05-04-2016, 09:52 AM)Caspar Wrote: I can't help but notice the Monk who doesn't use Dragon Kick ever, even on bosses.

My heart is breaking...! Unless we were Double Dragon MNKing it up and I was handling it, ID call that dude out.

Then again, I've had runs where I/an FC mate has been kicked for stuff as innocent as asking the other DPS to use more AoEs, and it's infuriating. Pugs are simply not trustworthy enough to be worth the effort.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - lunoc - 05-04-2016

As a Monk, I always just alternate between both combos from their proper positions. I know the buffs and debuffs are good, but I don't even think about them. 

The attacks do good enough damage on their own, and my timing of reapplying them might be somewhat inefficient, but I don't even need to think about what they do. I'm doing damage and applying buffs constantly.

My biggest failing is probably forgetting Touch of Death, but I think one of the last things I did before I stopped playing last was put Touch of Death on face buttons instead of a dpad so I'd incorporate it into my rotation better. 

Honestly, FFXIV has spoiled me, it has the best controller support of pretty much every MMO I've ever played. I can't go back to KB+M now. Having buttons in specific places rather than a big cloud of letters and numbers is so much more intuitive for my poor brain to handle.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 05-04-2016

(05-04-2016, 11:04 AM)Jana Wrote:
(05-04-2016, 09:52 AM)Caspar Wrote: I can't help but notice the Monk who doesn't use Dragon Kick ever, even on bosses.

My heart is breaking...! Unless we were Double Dragon MNKing it up and I was handling it, ID call that dude out.

Then again, I've had runs where I/an FC mate has been kicked for stuff as innocent as asking the other DPS to use more AoEs, and it's infuriating. Pugs are simply not trustworthy enough to be worth the effort.
When I MNK for things, especially duty roulettes, it makes me cry inside when other Melee absolutely refuse to AOE T_T

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Valence - 05-04-2016

I have stopped using Touch of Death most of the time. You just barely have the time to execute 2 standard rotations between every Dragon Kick/Twin Snakes refresh in greased lightning III that Touch of Death screws that up most of the time...

Sometimes I take the time to apply it among the openers when I can't directly go in greased III, but well. I hate that dot.

I'm not how much the meta has changed since then, but I believe it was around the time of either second or third coil that a raid-caliber Monk parsed on a dummy.

Including Touch of Death stuck him at 407 DPS.
Ignoring Touch of Death stuck him at 402 DPS.

It's safe to skip 99.9% of the time. It takes a full 30 seconds to get the damage across, so if an enemy dies before (I think?) 27s of those ticks land you lose DPS compared to just punching something with a normal attack.

Citation: Napkin math and selective memory for a job I don't play