Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 12-23-2014

Haha, I've been trying to share the Soldiery bonus wealth. We had a whole group going through the HM Primals and snapping up those extra tomes. The only time I don't try to bring folks along is when I get into a... groove, I guess? And am just banging the quests out and queue up without even thinking about it.

I suppose it won't be that big of a concern with the Expert dungeons, since they don't even give first time bonuses for whatever reason. I get it since, at the time, everyone was new to it... but it'd be nice to have now so I can be alerted to new folks if they don't want to pipe up themselves.

Nothing more "fun" than wiping a boss and then finding out afterward that someone was new and didn't know the fight.

... Best one thus far was a WHM who had never run NM Qarn, apparently, and died to Doom on the first boss. Decided not to mention it until afterward when he asked how you're supposed to get rid of it. That was... interesting.

In regards to Coil, I haven't gone past Bouncy Castle as a HEALER, so I'd be downright terrified to try doing any of it as a tank. Blush

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Warren Castille - 12-23-2014

(12-23-2014, 10:19 AM)Gegenji Wrote: In regards to Coil, I haven't gone past Bouncy Castle as a HEALER, so I'd be downright terrified to try doing any of it as a tank. Blush

Barring Twintania, there's only one mechanic in Coil1 that can still pose a threat and that's Allagan Rot, something no one has done in probably a year or so. T4 is just trash packs, T1's not any different and T2 is a formality if you enrage it (and from my understandings, people will whine a lot if you don't enrage it).

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 12-23-2014

OH QARN NM

While leveling WAR and WHM a bit I ran into QARN NM for roulette a few times. Several abandoneds.

So I found out that one ledge that would let you escape doom doesn't work anymore. no biggie.

People don't listen to me when I say BEES FIRST PLEASE. PLEASE. After the 4th time I've asked.

The doom mechanic is usually ok. It's the doom with Bees that equals doom in my experience. @_@

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 12-23-2014

All I know is that from the little interaction I've had with this forum I do not want to run anything with anyone from the RPC I haven't previously had interactions with.

I don't need someone bitching at me about my iLevel and going too slow.

(12-23-2014, 01:02 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote: All I know is that from the little interaction I've had with this forum I do not want to run anything with anyone from the RPC I haven't previously done so.

I don't need someone bitching at me about my iLevel and going too slow.

Now that's both overly harsh AND is dangerously close (if not already) breaking the rules I set at the start of this:

(12-17-2014, 01:09 PM)Gegenji Wrote: 1.) First and foremost, do not name names. In fact, if you think posting your grievances will start a flame war with someone else on the forum, don't do it. Or, if some otherworldly force compels you to post it anyway, make it as vague as possible. Say "the healer" did this or "the tank" did that, or that "the DPS" screwed up royally.

2.) Don't poke the bearbehemoth. Conversation over the events posted are fine, but if people start taking it personally or getting heated? Drop it and move on.

3.) This thread isn't for getting on your soapbox. Just venting. Talk about that one time the Ninja thought this was FFXI and tried to tank. Do not talk about how all Ninjas are dumb and SE made a mistake by implementing them.

I haven't seen anyone complaining about iLevels. All that was mentioned is that some people look at them to gauge how fast or slow they can go in a dungeon. I do the same thing, but just with HP - if I see a bunch of folks with 6k+ HP in an i70 dungeon, I feel a little more comfortable pulling more things as a tank than I would otherwise. Or warn them that "hey, I'm a babby tank so you're probably going to be pulling aggro off me, look out."

And, it's been more or less established that speaking up can mitigate a lot of issues. "Hey, I don't feel comfortable doing huge pulls/pulls in quick succession" would most likely be enough to get anyone here to slow down without a fuss.

Now let's not risk #2 and move on.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 12-23-2014

Is it overly harsh though?

Also, I have soldiery bonus across the majority of coil. I'll probably have that until forever.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Enteris - 12-23-2014

It's been quite some time since I've had a group wipe on Ifrit HM... 

Has the almost refreshing scent of pinesol and puke... >.<

(12-23-2014, 01:31 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote: Is it overly harsh though?

Also, I have soldiery bonus across the majority of coil. I'll probably have that until forever.

It could be construed as such, calling out the very forum you're posting on.

And I'll probably have the same bonus, mostly because I'm afraid of screwing up. I've held off on doing the Extreme primals for the same reason.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Steel Wolf - 12-23-2014

Kellach, I can absolutely appreciate your feels. I have posted similar-styled feels here.

But, as was described before, this isn't a place to scare people away from doing Duty. It's to grump about some poor experiences amongst those in their iLevel. Yes, that message can get murky on a few posts, but that's ultimately the point here. And, honestly, venting is a good thing.

Warren, Kage, Gegenji--lots of folks in this very thread have talked me down from my own fears on more than a few occasions. Patiently. Repeatedly. It's a lesson that's hard to get to stick because I'm a nerveball when it comes to this dungeon stuff...but it is sticking.

And yanno what? I'm a babby tank too. I have met a couple of infinitely warm and patient folks who are willing to help me get back in to that groove again. And I'm willing to pay that forward to you. Or anyone else, really.

Now, my own iLevel is pretty mediocre....but I'm workin' on it. And as hard as it is to believe--I even didn't believe it myself--there are people willing to show and teach and lead and help.

*RoeHugs*

(12-23-2014, 01:33 PM)Enteris Wrote: It's been quite some time since I've had a group wipe on Ifrit HM... 

Has the almost refreshing scent of pinesol and puke... >.<

6/10 I will still wipe on Titan HM. Wiping on Ifrit SM is fun though, when the archer pulls before you (tank) starts the fight as you've noticed the bonus is up. You think "oh it's just alt character". But then you wipe. Because the archer doesn't hit the nail.

So when you start.... the archer pulls again.

And you have to yell 1526121 times at this guy who won't listen to hit the nail. Yep... it's happened.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Hiro - 12-23-2014

Surprisingly it's happened more than once this week during roulette's and it's finally gotten to me.

That one guy who tells everyone else how to play their class and asks them why they didn't use X skill in Y instance, or at all, even though you're all over geared, running just fine, and they're spend more time typing their "tool tips" for your group instead of DPSing, Holding Aggro, or Healing.

We bitch and complain about rotations or whatnot...

but really people don't notice this shit unless:

a) it's going slower than what is their normal.

b) People die

Aka something is wrong.

If something is not wrong, people -do not care-.

edit: >slower than normal
> I should not be healing a party so long on x group that is not PULL OMG THANKS FOR WAKING ME UP I NEED TO LUSTRATE AHHHHH / OMG I WISH I HAD BENEDICTION ALLL THE MOBS?!!!???
> especially if it means I am going OOM on a very small group.
> especially as a SCH

(12-23-2014, 01:44 PM)Kage Wrote: So when you start.... the archer pulls again.

I just have an issue with DPS that pull in general. Let me grab it, let me get aggro. If you want to pull it, I'mma let you tank it. That goes for when I'm a tank AND when I'm a healer. And if I'm the latter, don't expect healing. I may be neurotic about keeping HP levels high, but I don't reward misbehavior.

I should clarify that pulling stuff accidentally is okay, though. I've done that enough while trying to get into a nice position. But if you're actively running ahead of the tank, then I might start asking questions.

(12-23-2014, 01:46 PM)Hiro Wrote: Surprisingly it's happened more than once this week during roulette's and it's finally gotten to me.

That one guy who tells everyone else how to play their class and asks them why they didn't use X skill in Y instance, or at all, even though you're all over geared, running just fine, and they're spend more time typing their "tool tips" for your group instead of DPSing, Holding Aggro, or Healing.

I want to smack people who just keep spamming at me "Flash more," even when I'm holding aggro on everything just fine. I'M TRYING TO CONSERVE MP SO WE'RE NOT STOPPING EVERY OTHER PULL SO I CAN REGEN IT. Gaaawd.

I seriously have just ignored the normal sword combo for the two-step one that recovers MP, followed by a Flash, with enemy groups larger than two. And I still get people telling me to Flash more. And then I do and I run out of MP and they're still AoEing like crazy and mobs are going everywhere and I DON'T HAVE THE MP ANYMORE, LET ME GET SOME BACK.

Which is a plus I still have to give PLD, I have larger MP stores for more Flashes and I can regen that a good bit easier than if I Overpowered a time too many and I'm bottoming out on TP.

(12-23-2014, 01:49 PM)Gegenji Wrote:

I just have an issue with DPS that pull in general. Let me grab it, let me get aggro. If you want to pull it, I'mma let you tank it. That goes for when I'm a tank AND when I'm a healer. And if I'm the latter, don't expect healing. I may be neurotic about keeping HP levels high, but I don't reward misbehavior.

I should clarify that pulling stuff accidentally is okay, though. I've done that enough while trying to get into a nice position. But if you're actively running ahead of the tank, then I might start asking questions.
While leveling MRD/WAR, I ran into plenty a Rogue/Ninja who decided they wanted to throw their knives at something in the distance before I could tomahawk.

I won't get into how many people will unload on their buttons and/or offensive CDs after you've just thrown a shield or an axe.

Please.

Stop.

That thing is going to stomp your face and I'm not going to care about it except for the fact that my healer is going to be distracted and heal you.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Warren Castille - 12-23-2014

(12-23-2014, 01:52 PM)Kage Wrote:
(12-23-2014, 01:49 PM)Gegenji Wrote:

While leveling MRD/WAR, I ran into plenty a Rogue/Ninja who decided they wanted to throw their knives at something in the distance before I could tomahawk.

I won't get into how many people will unload on their buttons and/or offensive CDs after you've just thrown a shield or an axe.

Please.

Stop.

That thing is going to stomp your face and I'm not going to care about it except for the fact that my healer is going to be distracted and heal you.

I'm super guilty of this on ninja! Especially in low level dungeons. I hurl knives on the way in and then apply DoTs and then do my ninja thing. It's the most fun worst in Toto-Rak. I WILL Sneak Attack the rafflesias when they spawn, I WILL blow cooldowns INCLUDING BLOOD FOR BLOOD and I WILL do my best to get myself killed. Instant comm for the tank who takes it back and holds it, or failing that, the healer who doesn't let me stupid my face off.

And if anyone ever catches me doing that in a run and wants to call me on my nonsense, you are entirely fair to do so. It's stupid and greedy and helps break the monotony that is low level dungeoning.