Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - S'imba - 05-09-2016

(05-09-2016, 11:32 AM)Aaron Wrote: Lmao the fate grinded players.
90% of the drk players when the class first came out. DPS who all picked it up without any real tanking experience, pretty sure that's why you can go into a dungeon pop a few cooldowns on pulls and the healer will be amazed.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - McBeefâ„¢ - 05-09-2016

(05-09-2016, 12:11 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: If you're not a melee and you're in a group with a melee and you pop LB the second the chime sounds, you're an asshole. That's all, really. If you're a "mentor" while in a group with a new player and you do it, you're a larger, more gaping asshole.
I MEANNNNNNN

Does it really matter? It's like a difference of a 2-3%, and often the melee will get killed if they do it (Like on Ampador with the cureIV explosion)

Sorry I'm just grumpy.

I know I'm frustrating to pug with. I either:

1) Half-afk and watch anime as I barely fulfill my role as healer or tank

2) Want to get the dungeon done yesterday, and blast through it super fast (and get mad if people don't keep up)

I've done a shitload of them by now, I've been mean to people. I'm the poor pug :c

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kibu - 05-09-2016

I got a random tank last night that would sprint away halfway through a battle in order to go grab another group of mobs, leaving the dps to get chewed on by all the things he couldn't hold aggro on. To make things more fun, he was at-level for the dungeon with woefully under-level gear. Being the healer was... let's just say 'intense'.

I've been told that I need to learn when to stop healing a bad tank and just let them die when they do stupid stuff, but that makes me feel really guilty...

(05-09-2016, 12:58 PM)Kibu Wrote: I got a random tank last night that would sprint away halfway through a battle in order to go grab another group of mobs, leaving the dps to get chewed on by all the things he couldn't hold aggro on. To make things more fun, he was at-level for the dungeon with woefully under-level gear. Being the healer was... let's just say 'intense'.

I've been told that I need to learn when to stop healing a bad tank and just let them die when they do stupid stuff, but that makes me feel really guilty...
The problem is if they die, you usually die too.

(05-09-2016, 01:05 PM)McBeef© Wrote:
(05-09-2016, 12:58 PM)Kibu Wrote: I got a random tank last night that would sprint away halfway through a battle in order to go grab another group of mobs, leaving the dps to get chewed on by all the things he couldn't hold aggro on. To make things more fun, he was at-level for the dungeon with woefully under-level gear. Being the healer was... let's just say 'intense'.

I've gotten pretty good at keeping dps alive if they're able to keep things off me. Otherwise yeah, it gets ugly and usually ends in a wipe. Maybe someday I'll be good enough to just heal-tank Big Grin

(05-09-2016, 01:09 PM)Kibu Wrote:
(05-09-2016, 01:05 PM)McBeef© Wrote:

I've gotten pretty good at keeping dps alive if they're able to keep things off me. Otherwise yeah, it gets ugly and usually ends in a wipe. Maybe someday I'll be good enough to just heal-tank Big Grin
Other games have heal-tank classes. 

Warrior Priest in Wargammer Age of Reckoning was my favorite. I'm wondering if they'll add more heals and shields to Paladin next expansion. There is actually a part in A7s where I have to cast clemency or someone dies! For once it's useful for something Tongue

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Ehzo'ir Tyaka - 05-09-2016

This tank talk reminds me of when I was leveling my scholar. Did a Roulette and got... Sastasha. Alright, that means either a snooze fest or newbies. I start to cast protect as the last person loads and... off goes the Dark knight in their level 30 gear. No problem I can catch up and... oh they are sprinting. Through the first mobs. And the second. And they are already at less than half health. 

Finally am able to catch up to them just as they die since they didn't wait for any back up. Given that I didn't have a chance to help, I get ganged up by all of the mobs while the newbie (leaf) Lancer and the... I want to say Archer? (Both had leaves) tried their best. We wipe after clearing a few of the enemies and all the tank said was "Again" before sprinting off without waiting again!

This time I was more prepared, and we survived at first and then the tank -sprints- off again halfway through the fight to get another pack! We wipe -again- because the tank didn't keep aggro on the things we were already fighting. They then just leave the group.

Thirty seconds later we got another tank in and cleared the entire thing without issue. But man, that tank really made me want to slap them.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Aaron - 05-09-2016

He wanted to be a track star when he was little but his dreams were crushed by his nihilistic obese father.

So now he sprints through dungeons to try and run from the pain he will never be able to escape.

(05-09-2016, 02:41 PM)Aaron Wrote: He wanted to be a track star when he was little but his dreams were crushed by his nihilistic obese father.

So now he sprints through dungeons to try and run from the pain he will never be able to escape.
This isn't the thread to tell your life story in aaron.

(05-09-2016, 02:37 PM)Selarian Cloverbloom Wrote: This tank talk reminds me of when I was leveling my scholar. Did a Roulette and got... Sastasha. Alright, that means either a snooze fest or newbies. I start to cast protect as the last person loads and... off goes the Dark knight in their level 30 gear. No problem I can catch up and... oh they are sprinting. Through the first mobs. And the second. And they are already at less than half health. 

Finally am able to catch up to them just as they die since they didn't wait for any back up. Given that I didn't have a chance to help, I get ganged up by all of the mobs while the newbie (leaf) Lancer and the... I want to say Archer? (Both had leaves) tried their best. We wipe after clearing a few of the enemies and all the tank said was "Again" before sprinting off without waiting again!

This time I was more prepared, and we survived at first and then the tank -sprints- off again halfway through the fight to get another pack! We wipe -again- because the tank didn't keep aggro on the things we were already fighting. They then just leave the group.

Thirty seconds later we got another tank in and cleared the entire thing without issue. But man, that tank really made me want to slap them.

Basically this, only in Qarn. And with slightly more restraint on the part of the tank. Who was also a dark knight, and I am also a scholar. And I had a bard with me. Hrm. Coincidences...

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Warren Castille - 05-09-2016

(05-09-2016, 12:38 PM)McBeef© Wrote:
(05-09-2016, 12:11 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: If you're not a melee and you're in a group with a melee and you pop LB the second the chime sounds, you're an asshole. That's all, really. If you're a "mentor" while in a group with a new player and you do it, you're a larger, more gaping asshole.
I MEANNNNNNN

Does it really matter? It's like a difference of a 2-3%, and often the melee will get killed if they do it (Like on Ampador with the cureIV explosion)

It doesn't really matter, but it falls in line with the discussion from a few pages ago: If you're grouping up for content, you're also utilizing the time and efforts of 3-7 other people. It's inconsiderate to only account for your own time or enjoyment in a group setting.

I mean, this makes it sound like I care waaaaay more than I really do, given how many posts I've spent on it at this point. It just sticks in my craw when people who are ostensibly trying to depict themselves as mentors use trash habits and impatience. It paints a bad picture for actual new players where the folks opting into appearing helpful are completely mute and don't advocate good play.

Hmm speaking of that I should wear the 1500 commendation robe and the pope hat when I DR. Then people can hate mentors for real.

GREETINGS PEONS I AM THE LORD OF MENTORS.

BOW DOWN TO ME.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Edgar - 05-10-2016

If one more healer sits there during the first boss of Antitower and spams cure, physick, what have you on myself instead of prioritizing purging Concussion, I'm gonna scream.

It's an ailment. It isn't a damage soak, and for the love of Nymeia, it's not a tankbuster, either, so no, I am not going to pop a CD, especially not to make up for the massive, unnecessary amount of damage that I could simply walk out of if you did your job, healer who I know is gonna say this because stupidity is that fucking reliable.

Show Content

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Warren Castille - 05-10-2016

Healers who don't erase that Concussion are bad (or unaware). Admittedly, it's the same debuff icon as the unerasable one from A5, but seriously, one cleanse will mitigate a ton more damage than any stacked heals or regens. Plus, it lets a tank resume DPS.

Grinds my gears.