Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Parvacake - 05-10-2016

(05-10-2016, 07:57 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Healers who don't erase that Concussion are bad (or unaware). Admittedly, it's the same debuff icon as the unerasable one from A5, but seriously, one cleanse will mitigate a ton more damage than any stacked heals or regens. Plus, it lets a tank resume DPS.

Grinds my gears.
I am one of those who are unaware but it's good to know!

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Valence - 05-11-2016

The simple fact that they use the same icons and buff and that both behave differently is ludicrous to me, as a heal.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Heidrek - 05-11-2016

(05-10-2016, 07:57 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Healers who don't erase that Concussion are bad (or unaware). Admittedly, it's the same debuff icon as the unerasable one from A5, but seriously, one cleanse will mitigate a ton more damage than any stacked heals or regens. Plus, it lets a tank resume DPS.

Grinds my gears.

TIL that you can dispel Concussion.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 05-11-2016

If you're a bard, you can Warden's it.

so if you notice your healer is like "but muh A5", you can do something about it.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 05-11-2016

I usually tank the Expert roulettes just because the queue is faster, but I always tend to commend a healer if they get rid of that debuff... and pay a bit closer attention to those that don't. Unless they're new, of course, in which case it is something I tell them right off the bat before pulling. Of course, I've had some... Characters in Antitower that I was wary of before that boss.

A WHM that only used Cure I and Medica II and a Roe SCH who, when everyone was at full health, would Manderville rather than doing anything useful.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 05-16-2016

(05-11-2016, 01:38 PM)Gegenji Wrote: A WHM that only used Cure I and Medica II and a Roe SCH who, when everyone was at full health, would Manderville rather than doing anything useful.

dammit why must you find people that are worse than I am even considering my insecurities and anxieties about healing!

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Edgar - 05-16-2016

Raltz and I decided to a run of The Aery. I tried doing a sackpull of the first few mobs, and it went okay until it became clear the healer could not keep up. We wiped, and Raltz timidly asked if the Healer ran out of mp.

The healer proceeded to completely lose their shit, immediately acting as if Raltz had made some sort of broad claim. Even as I blatantly told them to their face no one was accusing them of failing, and that it was my fault for not checking their gear and assuming they could handle it,  they retorted that it was normal to blame the healer for everything (said the healer to the tank). I told them to stop or we would remove them. They told me to do it.

Surprise, the run failed on the first go. Our second try was more successful, but holy crap, are some people just insane.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Aaron - 05-16-2016

It's all your fault, obviously.

If you try and tell me otherwise I'll ignore you because I don't want to hear facts right now.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Warren Castille - 05-17-2016

Unless I know the healer personally or they tell me it's okay to pull big groups, I don't bother trying to speed up most of the leveling content. Overgearing them isn't nearly as much of a bubble as you can get at level cap and more often than not it just kills someone.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Caspar - 05-17-2016

Sac pulling Aery is a thing? O_0 I had no idea... Usually everyone is there for lvling or story, so I try to be patient.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Warren Castille - 05-17-2016

You can sacpull nearly every dungeon with some room by a gate to dump aggro. It's really convenient if you get people who don't mind doing it through like, DZ or something. Of course it means no one gets EXP, but hey, sacrifice pulls. You can knock DZ and AV down to sub-15 minutes if people don't mind skipping out on it all.

HW is pretty good about walls or gates requiring kills. Hell, most of the post-2.0 dungeons were.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Rising - 05-17-2016

As a healer, and someone new to the game, I appreciate a tank that doesn't chain pull. Even more, I appreciate one that can flipping hold aggro. I know better than to have regen on the tank before pull, and I usually wait for him to start taking some damage before casing my first heal. Still, there are tanks out there that can't hold aggro on more than one mob. Granted they may be as new as I am but still, it's frustrating.

I'm still trying to figure out buff/debuff/class icons, and the fact that I have to search for what may be a dispellable debuff in the same line of class icons and buff icons is infuriating. I have trouble with the UI, and in particular the target & party frames. I'm still learning the class and the game. The GCD kills me. Cast times kill me. I miss my Disc Priest. I'm only level 41 WHM (my first char. I don't have multiple chars or classes) but I think I do a decent job. Only wipes have been due to tank failing mechanics. 

I know I need to improve but god bless those kind tanks that explain boss fights (I always let folks know i'm new at the start) and keep an eye on the healer!

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Valence - 05-17-2016

Having tried tanking on the first half levels (meaning, before the job and below lvl30), it's actually a nightmare to correctly hold aggro at such low levels. Either you get overgeared DPS that no matter what you do, will deal more enmity than you. Or just DPS that don't focus fire.

At such low level, there is not much rooms for mistakes when dealing with enmity sadly. I think that the game is a bit unforgiving and weirdly designed around that by the way. It should be easier to tank in low level dungeons, not the opposite. Not that your life is threatened or anything, but doing your job can be a nightmare. And it's not going to get any better the more end game gear will get powerful.

And I'm not even speaking of the enmity UI that is a joke, pure and simple. It starts showing you that you lost aggro when you already lost it. It's stupid as hell, unless you start rotating continuously between all the mobs to check their individual enmity gauges under every player name. Super user friendly that is, especially when you are doing your rotations.

In any case, I am a main WhM/heal and trying my hand at tanking made me see a lot of things under another light.

It should get better now that you are lvl41, and get better and better. Most of the retarded/horrors tend to happen at low level, either from inexperienced people that discover their jobs, or high end players that don't want to bother to pay attention to actual roles.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Leih - 05-17-2016

Dear DPS I had in one of my groups today:

WHEN YOU ARE TOLD TO GO FOR THE ADDS, GO FOR THE ADDS! 

Thank you.

Did a sunken temple twice today. First team was alright. Second team? Dear heavens... We got wiped. 5 times. In SUNKEN TEMPLE and no one was new to it! And I kept yelling, since I was the tank, for them to GO FOR THE DAMN ADDS in the last boss over and over again. There were so many of those bright rays that my eyes actually started to hurt, so I had to do tank and DPS. Ugh... I don't want to see how much armor damage I have to pay now...

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - McBeefâ„¢ - 05-17-2016

(05-17-2016, 02:11 PM)Leih Wrote: Dear DPS I had in one of my groups today:

WHEN YOU ARE TOLD TO GO FOR THE ADDS, GO FOR THE ADDS! 

Thank you.

Did a sunken temple twice today. First team was alright. Second team? Dear heavens... We got wiped. 5 times. In SUNKEN TEMPLE and no one was new to it! And I kept yelling, since I was the tank, for them to GO FOR THE DAMN ADDS in the last boss over and over again. There were so many of those bright rays that my eyes actually started to hurt, so I had to do tank and DPS. Ugh... I don't want to see how much armor damage I have to pay now...

Well, one fortunate thing (or unfortunate) is that armor damage in this game is actually more based on enemies killed than wipes.

You lose a few percent on a wipe, but killing enemies actually breaks your armor faster. (This can be seen in fights with lots of high level enemies like Gordias 2. So wiping a lot doesn't actually cost you that much money (Unless you wipe a lot and then have to kill the same enemies over and over).