Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Charity322 - 08-12-2016

(08-12-2016, 09:36 AM)Kilieit Wrote: this is my luck whiplash for getting 7 komajiro medals in about 10 FATEs earlier tonight, isn't it?

To be fair, if you were the healer then they probably didn't have Raise. You said they were all DPS.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kilieit - 08-12-2016

Raise can be cross-classed. There were a whole lot of people running with classes (not jobs, so they could cross-class anything they like from any class) and also spellcasters around.

The fact one of them seemed to waffle on raising me before deciding against it was the real kicker. :I

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 08-12-2016

(08-12-2016, 11:37 AM)Kilieit Wrote: Raise can be cross-classed. There were a whole lot of people running with classes (not jobs, so they could cross-class anything they like from any class) and also spellcasters around.

The fact one of them seemed to waffle on raising me before deciding against it was the real kicker. :I

A lot of folks just seem... unwilling to rez anyway. I was openly shocked at one point when I was in... a raid or Trial or something... I think it might've been a VArk or a Weeping City. Anyway, whatever it was, we had a bunch of DPS - including myself (as a SMN) - drop for some reason or another. And our healers picked up EVERYONE BUT ME first as we recovered.

I idly mentioned after the fight that the rezzing could've likely gone faster - and eaten up less of their MP - if they rezzed me first. And they said they hadn't because all the SMNs they've dealt with refused to rez because it gouged their precious deeps. To which I stated I'd rather rez than wipe - deeps don't get you anything if your team is dead. Which I think they appreciated - though we didn't have a close call like that for the rest of the run.

But yeah. It seems to be a common enough thing that people who can rez don't usually want to. Meanwhile even Chachan has Raise slotted in his PLD cross-class (though that's mostly because I never got his CNJ high enough for Stoneskin). So, if someone near me needs a rez, I can usually throw one out.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Melkire - 08-12-2016

(08-12-2016, 11:37 AM)Kilieit Wrote: Raise can be cross-classed. There were a whole lot of people running with classes (not jobs, so they could cross-class anything they like from any class) and also spellcasters around.

You'd still need the Enhanced Raise trait to actually rez someone while mid-combat, unless they were ACN/SCH/SMN (since Resurrection can rez mid-combat without a trait). Cross-classing Raise on any other class but CNJ/WHM results in being unable tor rez at all unless you leave combat.

Under level 28, only ACN/SCH/SMN can battle rez. Sounds like the THM/BLM/CNJ, what have you, didn't want to risk losing credit for the FATE just to rez you in time.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Virella - 08-12-2016

Really, as a healer my priority is, when it comes down to DPS...

First my manabots, aka bards and mch, then the SMN (provided they appear to know what they are doing), then the good DPS, and as last, the shitty DPS who will most likely die again.

Unless we need a specific LB or something, I just rest a melee quickly first. But yeah, manabots first, summoners with brains second, then going from the good to the bad dps.

Might be just me, but when I see people dead in the open world, I will ress them x_X Just a bit of an old school MMO courtesy? Dunno, just feel like a dick if I leave them dead

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - McBeefâ„¢ - 08-12-2016

(08-12-2016, 11:50 AM)Virella Wrote: Might be just me, but when I see people dead in the open world, I will ress them x_X Just a bit of an old school MMO courtesy? Dunno, just feel like a dick if I leave them dead

It used to be more relevant as certain trials (namely chimera and hydra) would just boot your corpse outside the instance if the party wiped.

If there wasn't a nice healer nearby to res you, you'd have to run all the way back there from wherever your home point is.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kilieit - 08-12-2016

(08-12-2016, 11:45 AM)Melkire Wrote:

You'd still need the Enhanced Raise trait to actually rez someone while mid-combat, unless they were ACN/SCH/SMN (since Resurrection can rez mid-combat without a trait). Cross-classing Raise on any other class but CNJ/WHM results in being unable tor rez at all unless you leave combat.

Under level 28, only ACN/SCH/SMN can battle rez. Sounds like the THM/BLM/CNJ, what have you, didn't want to risk losing credit for the FATE just to rez you in time.

Yeah, which I reserve my right to be peeved about, because it means that out of the ~10 people who showed up for Act III, not one of them considered that it might be upsetting for me to lose out on FATE credit, when I was one of about three people responsible for getting Act III to spawn in the first place. :I

I know expecting non-selfish behaviour from strangers is a step too far, but it still annoyed me.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Sounsyy - 08-12-2016

Going to talk about warriors a little bit.

(08-11-2016, 10:52 AM)Melkire Wrote: WAR generally doesn't need to lead most pulls with Unchained or Berserk. Sure, it helps a lot and if you can then by all means, but it's not as vital as, say, Fight or Flight to a PLD's pull.

Tomahawk (skip if facepulling, depending on positioning) -> Overpower x2 (modify quantity and/or supplement with Flash as needed) -> Storm's Eye Combo (skip if heavily outgeared) -> Butcher's Block Combo (distribute SS and BB evenly across mobs, always land Heavy Swing on a mob with Eye, land SS and BB preferably on mobs with Eye unless aggro is building fast on those without) -> Overpower/Flash (as needed) -> Gradually Distribute Eye to All Mobs -> Overpower/Flash (as needed) -> "Rotation"

This isn't a bad rotation for Trash pulls in dungeons. A few notes: be sure to be mindful of your Overpower usage. At max, you should be limiting yourself to roughly three Overpowers per Trash pull to ensure you're not overtaxing your TP. Cleanly weaving into Deliverance for Equilibrium (TP) helps manage this somewhat, but remember that AoE Enmity is primarily useful for maintaining hate against steady enmity build by DoTs and Heals. If DPS are targeting multiple enemies, Overpower spam will not hold them and will only drain you of resources. It's better to perform the single-target enmity combo on any mobs being directly attacked by DPS, but dispersing your combo evenly across multiple enemies will hold hate far better than any AoE ever will.

Compare:
Overpower: 430 dmg x 5.0 multiplier x 2.7 defiance = 5805 enmity
Skull Sunder: 950 dmg x 3.5 multiplier x 2.7 defiance = 8978 enmity
Butcher's Block: 1400 dmg x 5.5 multiplier x 2.7 defiance = 20790 enmity

An exception to the conservative Overpower rule would be during Big Pulls in which you face 10+ enemies. In this instance, combining Vengeance, Berserk, Internal Release, Bloodbath, Steel Cyclone, and Overpower spam not only generates massive AoE damage and enmity on all enemies, it also enables a WAR to almost sufficiently self-heal sustain themselves solo through the pull by ensuring HP return from each mob hit. This allows Healers more leeway to add AoE dps to Big Pulls. However, this tactic really should only be used on groups of enemies that number too many to effectively single-target combo across and is increasingly more effective the more enemies you're facing.

For MTing bosses in raids or dungeons as WAR, I recommend the following rotations:
Show Content

Additional rotations for OTing, OT Opener, and DPS rotation can be found below:
Show Content

As for Flash, use it if you wish, but it isn't recommended for WARs. Especially as it conflicts with better cross-class options. (Convalescence, Provoke, Awareness, Second Wind, Internal Release) While it uses MP for AoE enmity generation instead of TP, thanks to 3.0's Equilibrium WARs are no longer plagued by TP drain. If you find you're running out of TP quickly, the first step should be to reconsider the rotation you're using for enmity gain. Additionally, if you're finding you're actually having AoE enmity troubles as a WAR and you are using Flash, it might be the cause.

Flash Pros:
-Uses MP instead of TP.
-Can be used when Pacified. (WAR should not be hurting for enmity after completing a Berserk rotation, even in Deliverance.)
-Does not interrupt combo. (Steel Cyclone also does not though and generates way more enmity.)

Flash Cons:
-Activates Spell GCD, delaying combos which deal significantly more dps and enmity.
-Does not deal damage. This lowers WAR's dps output, party utility, and cannot be used for self healing.
-Cannot Crit and is not affected by damage buffs such as Maim, but is affected by Berserk. However, you'd never want to use Flash during Berserk because of Spell GCD.
-Generates 10% less enmity for WAR than it does for PLD thanks to Defiance.
-Smaller range & radius than Overpower and may require sacrificing frontal position against adds to hit all targets in range.
-Consumes a cross-class slot.

(08-11-2016, 11:45 AM)Melkire Wrote: I can think of only three scenarios in which to not burn Wrath/Abandon stacks. Otherwise, burn stacks as soon as you hit five of them depending on what you need:

Like you said, in most cases you can burn stacks as soon as you earn them. Especially Wrath, the stacks of which only increase your Parry chance by 10% and essentially are inconsequential. When in Deliverance, stacks of Abandon increase your Critical Hit Rate, so if the previous combo-finisher gained your 5th stack, you should hold Fell Cleave until after your next Heavy Swing so it benefits from the increased CHR and does not generate a stack therefor no penalization. Always blow the 5th stack before using your next stack-generating weaponskill, unless you're saving for upcoming Berserk rotation as discussed above in the rotations spoiler.

Hopefully that helps if you're a WAR and you're having enmity issues. ^^

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Edgar - 08-12-2016

So I was doing Praetorium today for my Main Scenario roulette as WAR. I had a DRK as our second tank with a Hyperconductive Skoffnung to compete with my Padjali Axe. The instance starts out with him lecturing us on how to "properly" sackpull and faceroll through the first encounters after the MNK decides to do it for us (and to be honest, if we're skipping content, does it even matter who does it?)

We make it to the first boss, and I proceed to pull it because I'm a level 50 synced WAR, and I have no OT stance. The DRK, however, decides they wanna MT, and they spend the entire fight blowing all their mp on DA Power Slashes. I explain to them before the next boss that I have no OT stance, and that I will always pull hate off them as a result. Their response?

[13:14](DRK) dont need it here, no worries

Okay, then, so I guess we've reached an understanding? Apparently not, because he spends the next boss, Nero, doing the exact same thing. When the Power Slashes fail, he mixes in a few Unleashes in a desperate bid to get aggro, outright refusing to turn off Grit and accept the role of OT. Same story for Gaius, and same story for Ultima Weapon phase 1 and 2, where he manages to completely deplete ALL HIS MP trying to gain aggro. He even tries Provoking, but so much as one Storm's Eye manages to get my aggro back. 

By this point, i'm not the only one pissed at him. 

[13:21](Amanda Bloom) [DRK] should just switch jobs at this point. terrible tank

He continues this charade all the way to the last fight against Lahabrea, where I take aggro and hold it without interruption the whole way through. He ends the instance on next to no mp.

I walk away with several commendations.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Caspar - 08-12-2016

(08-12-2016, 12:53 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: Going to talk about warriors a little bit.

(08-11-2016, 10:52 AM)Melkire Wrote: WAR generally doesn't need to lead most pulls with Unchained or Berserk. Sure, it helps a lot and if you can then by all means, but it's not as vital as, say, Fight or Flight to a PLD's pull.

Tomahawk (skip if facepulling, depending on positioning) -> Overpower x2 (modify quantity and/or supplement with Flash as needed) -> Storm's Eye Combo (skip if heavily outgeared) -> Butcher's Block Combo (distribute SS and BB evenly across mobs, always land Heavy Swing on a mob with Eye, land SS and BB preferably on mobs with Eye unless aggro is building fast on those without) -> Overpower/Flash (as needed) -> Gradually Distribute Eye to All Mobs -> Overpower/Flash (as needed) -> "Rotation"

This isn't a bad rotation for Trash pulls in dungeons. A few notes: be sure to be mindful of your Overpower usage. At max, you should be limiting yourself to roughly three Overpowers per Trash pull to ensure you're not overtaxing your TP. Cleanly weaving into Deliverance for Equilibrium (TP) helps manage this somewhat, but remember that AoE Enmity is primarily useful for maintaining hate against steady enmity build by DoTs and Heals. If DPS are targeting multiple enemies, Overpower spam will not hold them and will only drain you of resources. It's better to perform the single-target enmity combo on any mobs being directly attacked by DPS, but dispersing your combo evenly across multiple enemies will hold hate far better than any AoE ever will.

Compare:
Overpower: 430 dmg x 5.0 multiplier x 2.7 defiance = 5805 enmity
Skull Sunder: 950 dmg x 3.5 multiplier x 2.7 defiance = 8978 enmity
Butcher's Block: 1400 dmg x 5.5 multiplier x 2.7 defiance = 20790 enmity

An exception to the conservative Overpower rule would be during Big Pulls in which you face 10+ enemies. In this instance, combining Vengeance, Berserk, Internal Release, Bloodbath, Steel Cyclone, and Overpower spam not only generates massive AoE damage and enmity on all enemies, it also enables a WAR to almost sufficiently self-heal sustain themselves solo through the pull by ensuring HP return from each mob hit. This allows Healers more leeway to add AoE dps to Big Pulls. However, this tactic really should only be used on groups of enemies that number too many to effectively single-target combo across and is increasingly more effective the more enemies you're facing.

For MTing bosses in raids or dungeons as WAR, I recommend the following rotations:
Show Content

Additional rotations for OTing, OT Opener, and DPS rotation can be found below:
Show Content

As for Flash, use it if you wish, but it isn't recommended for WARs. Especially as it conflicts with better cross-class options. (Convalescence, Provoke, Awareness, Second Wind, Internal Release) While it uses MP for AoE enmity generation instead of TP, thanks to 3.0's Equilibrium WARs are no longer plagued by TP drain. If you find you're running out of TP quickly, the first step should be to reconsider the rotation you're using for enmity gain. Additionally, if you're finding you're actually having AoE enmity troubles as a WAR and you are using Flash, it might be the cause.

Flash Pros:
-Uses MP instead of TP.
-Can be used when Pacified. (WAR should not be hurting for enmity after completing a Berserk rotation, even in Deliverance.)
-Does not interrupt combo. (Steel Cyclone also does not though and generates way more enmity.)

Flash Cons:
-Activates Spell GCD, delaying combos which deal significantly more dps and enmity.
-Does not deal damage. This lowers WAR's dps output, party utility, and cannot be used for self healing.
-Cannot Crit and is not affected by damage buffs such as Maim, but is affected by Berserk. However, you'd never want to use Flash during Berserk because of Spell GCD.
-Generates 10% less enmity for WAR than it does for PLD thanks to Defiance.
-Smaller range & radius than Overpower and may require sacrificing frontal position against adds to hit all targets in range.
-Consumes a cross-class slot.

(08-11-2016, 11:45 AM)Melkire Wrote: I can think of only three scenarios in which to not burn Wrath/Abandon stacks. Otherwise, burn stacks as soon as you hit five of them depending on what you need:

Like you said, in most cases you can burn stacks as soon as you earn them. Especially Wrath, the stacks of which only increase your Parry chance by 10% and essentially are inconsequential. When in Deliverance, stacks of Abandon increase your Critical Hit Rate, so if the previous combo-finisher gained your 5th stack, you should hold Fell Cleave until after your next Heavy Swing so it benefits from the increased CHR and does not generate a stack therefor no penalization. Always blow the 5th stack before using your next stack-generating weaponskill, unless you're saving for upcoming Berserk rotation as discussed above in the rotations spoiler.

Hopefully that helps if you're a WAR and you're having enmity issues. ^^
Yeah, generally rotating between targets and dispersing dots and aoe has helped me avoid excessive tp usage in dungeons from Overpower. Granted, I never did really super difficult content as WAR, but the bit about holding FC until after you land Heavy Swing makes a lot of sense and is something I've reminded myself to do more consistently these days. In non dungeon content usually I would replace Flash with Awareness, if I needed to MT ever.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Melkire - 08-12-2016

Generally speaking, if you can get away with less AoE enmity skills and more Butcher's Block combos, do so. I only threw in the AoE as conditionals for when DPS are making your life difficult.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Charity322 - 08-16-2016

When you've been waiting ages for the duty roulette to pop as a DPS and you go do other things because standing there picking your nose for half an hour is boring. Then the thing finally pops while you're on the loading screen and by the time you've gotten out of it the timer has expired and your registration has been withdrawn. DX

Why are DPS so unappreciated, anyway? Tanks and Healers get snapped up almost as soon as they've clicked join, but DPS hang around for ages until there's finally room for them. Also, I've seen people not care if one DPS drops from a dungeon. Meh, we can do it without him/her; let's not bother waiting for a replacement. Are we truly so unneeded? Where is the love?! XD

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 08-16-2016

(08-16-2016, 08:36 AM)Charity322 Wrote: When you've been waiting ages for the duty roulette to pop as a DPS and you go do other things because standing there picking your nose for half an hour is boring. Then the thing finally pops while you're on the loading screen and by the time you've gotten out of it the timer has expired and your registration has been withdrawn. DX

Why are DPS so unappreciated, anyway? Tanks and Healers get snapped up almost as soon as they've clicked join, but DPS hang around for ages until there's finally room for them. Also, I've seen people not care if one DPS drops from a dungeon. Meh, we can do it without him/her; let's not bother waiting for a replacement. Are we truly so unneeded? Where is the love?! XD

It's pretty annoying on the other end too, by the by. Waiting on that one DPS (and sometimes tank or healer) to actually push the button so the roulette can finally start. It's even worse if it's something big - like one of the 24-mans - and you get stuck back waiting because a single DPS wasn't able to click in time for whatever reason.

... Though my ire at such things has actually made me start to do it a little. If I'm in the middle of something and it pops, I'm not as nearly in a rush to hit the okay as I used to be. If I'm feeling more cynical than usual and am expecting someone to fail to click, I'll keep wrapping up what I was doing (usually flying somewhere or clicking on something for a daily) right up until about the 10 seconds remaining.

So I'm basically coping with the problem by perpetuating the problem. However, the only time I've missed a queue pop is if I had actually stepped away for some reason or another and it decided just then that it wanted to come up. Blush

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Valence - 08-16-2016

DPS are not unappreciated, it's just that they come in too big numbers. Thus the queue. 

Heals still have to wait a bit but not as much, and tanks most of the time get the adventurer in need bonus as well as instant queues, because there is just a lack of those around, really.

DPS is often the most attractive job to people, it combines dealing damage and killing things with a big ompf, and not having to deal with the concerns and responsibilities about the life of your fellow party members. Thus dropping one or even two is not by essence threatening to the party itself since a party can totally run with just a healer and a tank. It's just going to take ages really. 

Except where there is DPS checks, the glorious DPS checks being the only tool being able to tell without ambiguity that the DPS are not doing their job.

People often think that DPS is the most mindless job of all, because people play it like that. But when you actually want to get their rotations right, it actually asks for a bit more skill. Some of them can be quite hectic to play properly.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 08-16-2016

I play MNK when I feel lazy because it's sorta fun but I also know I'm not the best at it and I can't carry a shitty dps in light parties.

As in, I was in a Hullbreaker HM with a healer who was the type to overheal and run around and jump because they would rather do that for whatever reason and a not good bard.

I actually found out that the mobs in the first boss are not actually WAVES. THEY ARE ON A TIMER. AS IN... YOU CAN ACTUALLY STILL BE KILLING THE 3 MOBS AND THE COEURL WILL SHOW UP