Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Aaron - 08-24-2016

(08-24-2016, 02:40 AM)Edda Wrote: Yeah man what Franz said. When Frontlines first came out WARs dropping their soulstones to go MRD was crazy popular. You definitely lose out on a lot of stats and skills with no job (muh Huton) but if you wiped on a trial (or was it a 4-man dungeon? I'm confused) it's because some people in your group had rocks for brains, not because you did less damage than you usually do. Shit man, half the time I get into groups with Ninjas they don't even use Huton, or let it drop off constantly, which IMO is way worse than forgetting to equip your soulstone. Really brings my piss to a boil.
THIS

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Alexia Peregris - 08-25-2016

I've been getting the worst luck in the DF lately, and it's really starting to grind away at my eternal soul gears. Normally I'm really forgiving with any random group I come across, especially if they're a sprout or announce that they're new to the role or class, so long as they are genuinely putting in an effort. I mean, we were all there at one point.

Lately though I've been getting a lot of mentors in my roulettes who either perform worse than the sprouts in the party or just kind of go out of their way to show how little they care. When I'm trying to level my GLD and I'm in Haukke NM (so no shield stance, obviously), I do not want the PvE mentor MCH attacking the enemies I haven't marked and then pulling enemies I intentionally and clearly did not pull. Our sprout healer simply couldn't keep up no matter how many cooldowns I popped; she just wasn't prepared. You've worked pretty hard to be a mentor, so there's no good reason for you not to know these simple things, and I will chew you out for messing up and I will especially chew you out if you're being toxic to a sprout, because the entire point of your fancy ass crown is to help them out. Because of the onslaught of bad mentors, I've come to have as strong a distaste for them as I do elitist healers and people who 'speedrun' without announcing it first. I guess I like common courtesy as much as I do basic levels of competence.

As another DF revelation, I know the popular consensus/running gag is that all DRGs are awful and their favourite pastime is taking AOEs to the face, but honestly I have yet to find a MCH in duty finder that didn't make me want to switch to my MCH so I could blow my digital brains out.

Really need that to be an emote.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Valence - 08-25-2016

Most MCH in DF are cancer (esp with the point blank skill). Fortunately, the job is so not fun for most that they are not very many.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Aaron - 08-25-2016

Is MCH really that boring?

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Valence - 08-25-2016

I said not fun, not boring... For me at least. But I feel like it's probably the single job I see not very often in parties. Especially past leveling.

It's a very hard job too, so there is that.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Alexia Peregris - 08-25-2016

MCH isn't boring at all pre-50, but it gets Gauss Barrel and then becomes a watered down BLM, sort of like BRD does. Personally I like it enough to main it, but that's just me. I mostly like the aesthetic and how cool it looks, and it's challenging enough to be engaging. Obviously not everybody sees it that way though.

Also; yes, Blank is the worst and people should seriously take it off their hotbars if they can't use it the three times it's useful and never in any other other situation. But that's mostly how I feel about every knockback move, though MCHs are by far the biggest culprit for ruining melee DPS positionals.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Valence - 08-28-2016

> Got into Sor Khai as WhM expert roulette.
> DRG spews inanities in chat and starts pulling everything
> Want to let the DRG die but refrain myself, giving him a second chance.
> Dismiss vote for harassment appears. I'm thinking whether I should press yes or no when DRG suddenly rushes to the first boss, Lerooyyy.
> Spamm click NO NO NO NO before fights starts and freezes the vote.
> DRG is kicked out.
> New DRG enters. Starts having lots of jokes with the tank and the low ilevel MCH (probably american culture centered, I'm at a loss and just let them all have fun, better that kind of atmosphere).
> Notice that my MP is drained and everytime all mobs have like 30-60% of their life remaining.
> Check parser, see that I'm FUCKING TOP DPS.
> Recheck parser to be sure because seriously.
> Want to tell them to tone the jokes down and focus on... you know... DPSing. 
> Decide not to bother since I would have passed for the one raining on everyone's parade. At least, atmosphere was light hearted for them I guess.
> Just 2-3 islands remaining at the end of Hraesvelgr fight. Not sure if you actually can lose them all or if that dragon stops destroying them.
> No comms for carrying the team. Oh well.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Sunwins - 08-28-2016

(08-28-2016, 02:41 PM)Valence Wrote: No comms for carrying the team. Oh well.

This happens way too often.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Charity322 - 09-01-2016

I hate Cutter's Cry. My Paladin pulled it on Roulette and I was apprehensive, 'cause I remembered having trouble with it before and that was when I wasn't expected to go first and Ylva had never done it before. So I point out at the start that I am new and please poke me back in the right direction if I'm hopelessly lost. So we go to the first part and I die because I stood on the shifting sands. Okay lesson learned, don't stand on the shifting sands. I respawn and run back.

Then we all die to something, I'm not sure what. The wretched sand bats and ants were standing right on the quicksand and ignoring my Flash. DX Someone asks wtf I'm doing, at least I presume it was directed at me and the next time I pull a set of ants everyone quits on me. Okay, obviously I was doing something wrong, but I did say that I'd never tanked it before and you can't expect me to suddenly start doing it right when you aren't telling me what I'm doing wrong! Sigh.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Valence - 09-01-2016

If a mob seems to stay aggroed on someone else stubbornly no matter what (for whatever reason), take the habit to use Provoke on it and them immediately shield lob or whatever ranged attack enmity generating move you have. Provoke is awesome for that in that it puts you at the top of the enmity list, even if someone has already built a huge aggro on said mob. So the mob should get back to you pretty meekly normally. Then spamm flash for good measure to be sure they stay there or no other one starts to get ideas.

Also I assume you still don't have Shield Oath at that level, so you are still stuck with the low level aggro nightmare most tanks have to deal with (especially GLA). People should be a bit more tolerant when they get a tank of that class.

Note that if you keep losing aggro it's also possible that some genius in your party always starts aggroing everything before you do (mobs are still yellow for example). And then with just flash it gets a nightmare to get everything back especially if you have to run all around for that. It is also possible that a funny white mage gets the idea to cast regen on you before you engage, which will build aggro on the healer at the start instead of the tank. It is also posible that the DPSes are all single targeting a different mob, which will build aggro pretty fast on several mobs at once that flash will have difficulties to deal with.

I think you should keep an eye on what your party is going because you maybe are not the only one at fault in those cases.

Feel free to add me as friend if you need help or anything ingame! I can possible tag along with you in roulettes and help. Though my timezone may screw with things but well.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 09-01-2016

Since you don't know what's going on I can't accurately tell you what might have went wrong.

Take note that shifting sands targets a random player so it it's not as if it is stationary. You may have to constantly move.

Cutter's cry is in the range where you as a PLD are stuck with using Sword Oath until you hit 40 (max level you can be in Cutter's) where you get Shield Oath. It's not very easy but it is certainly doable to hold aggro in Sword Oath and as a PLD here.

Are you pulling while being buffed? Are you pulling when you have a HoT (Heal over time)? Typically at that level it's an Aspected Regen-like AST buff or the WHM's Regen (green icon would be on your buff bar). The enemies shouldn't be so easily ignoring your flash if they're in range and you've used it 2+ times. (Rule of thumb is that you flash around the same number of times as you have enemies and spread your aggro combo: Fast Blade -> Savage Blade -> Rage of Halone)

Also, how well updated is your gear, especially your sword?

Also, if you have ranged and they wail on the mobs as soon as you shield lob and haven't used flash they will get aggro much faster.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Valence - 09-01-2016

I also forgot to add, while you can't really do much with DPS that aggro everything too soon before you have correctly aggroed everything, you can definitely get the last word with a WhM/AST that casts regen on you before you engage. Right click on the icon and you will get rid of the buff. Not so many people know they actually can do that, but you can dismiss any buff you have on you by doing so.

If the heal complain, tell him not to do that and wait for you to aggro. If they still don't comply, then continue dismissing their buff.

Or if you want to be a hazardous asshole I guess you can let them draw all aggro and die, but that might not go well.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Edda - 09-01-2016

(09-01-2016, 02:31 PM)Valence Wrote: Or if you want to be a hazardous asshole I guess you can let them draw all aggro and die, but that might not go well.
Pain is the best educator.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Aaron - 09-01-2016

Just look at Edda's signature for proof.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Enla - 09-02-2016

Ended up in Sastasha to level my LNC on Odile, though things were going well to begin with until the very first pull showed exactly what I'd be dealing with.

-Tank was a Lv. 15 Gladiator, which is fine but already you know they're going to have trouble keeping hate.
-Tank came in with only three pieces of gear at Lv. 15. No belt, pants were Lv. 1 and shoes were gathering shoes at Lv. 5.
-Tank decided that in spite of them constantly taking hits with the skill and aptitude of wet paper that they were going to do two pulls at once for the entire dungeon.
-They could not keep hate the entire time. Which, hey I get it, Gladiator is not a very friendly class in the beginning when you're up against high damage earners... Except both the Bard and I were also at level and within two to three hits instantly stole hate. Yet without fail the tank never thought to slow down their pulls so they could keep hate properly.
-The tank would not keep still the entire dungeon. Instead of plopping down to keep hate they'd constantly be running in place and acting like they honestly had no idea what they were doing. (They had a fully geared 60 class and another almost to 40.)
-The tank got a little pissy when they inevitably died for the first time. (Out of like three-four times)
-I saw them use their damage cool downs... Once? That was it really.

I just... I get not knowing how to play your class. I really do... That's what the Novice area is for... Please use it... And take the equipment from it into a dungeon with you... You're not going to be able to do large pulls when you don't know what you're doing... x_x