Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kilieit - 09-02-2016

Yeah I have come out of at least one Sastasha NM having said
{The Hall of the Novice} {Please use it.}
at least three times throughout the place >_>

With Novice Hall gear freely available from level 15 onwards (fun tip you can pass onto your local sprout: you can select Novice Hall from the Duty menu and queue for it from there, so you don't need to be near an inn) and the Recommend Gear button shiny in your character panel, the only real excuse not to use them is not knowing they're there...

I just wish people wouldn't try to act like they're big-shot tanks when they're... not. x_x

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 09-03-2016

Got a fun one for today that I already mentioned in the chat, but...

Shiva EX for my Mentor roulette. Three other mentors in the group. I open by saying I haven't cleared Shiva EX synced - I did it bird-farming unsynced so I'm not too keen on the mechanics. Two of the other Mentors are silent basically the entire time.

The last one, though, OH the last one. Gets on the other Mentors (including me, the guy who admitted to not being familiar with synced EX) to explain the fight after the first wipe, refuses to do it himself. Calls us all "paper mentors." Makes mocking comments when one of the non-mentors tries to explain the fight - since it was being explained to mentors - and even pulls early while said non-mentor is trying to explain the positionings. After a wipe due to tank issues, calls the tanks "paper tanks."

Best part? Not only does he apparently know the fight, he has macros FOR SHIVA EX (though he didn't actually USE them until, like, the last three attempts). Which means he's in the perfect position to explain the fight and... you know, do the Mentor thing. Instead, he'd rather be actively lazy and demand that the other Mentors do it... and just generally be an abrasive little heel.

Needless to say, we spent a good half hour to forty minutes trying to do the fight with the one non-mentor trying to help explain the fight without success. In the end, all the Mentors besides me bail and I apologize to the non-Mentors as the group finally dissolves with about 20 minutes left of the trial timer.

tl;dr: If you're a Mentor and don't know/can't remember a fight, that's okay. If you do know it, refuse to explain it, and actively cause problems instead? Then you have problems and shouldn't have your crown.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Charity322 - 09-08-2016

(09-01-2016, 12:03 PM)Valence Wrote: If a mob seems to stay aggroed on someone else stubbornly no matter what (for whatever reason), take the habit to use Provoke on it and them immediately shield lob or whatever ranged attack enmity generating move you have. Provoke is awesome for that in that it puts you at the top of the enmity list, even if someone has already built a huge aggro on said mob. So the mob should get back to you pretty meekly normally. Then spamm flash for good measure to be sure they stay there or no other one starts to get ideas.

Also I assume you still don't have Shield Oath at that level, so you are still stuck with the low level aggro nightmare most tanks have to deal with (especially GLA). People should be a bit more tolerant when they get a tank of that class.

Note that if you keep losing aggro it's also possible that some genius in your party always starts aggroing everything before you do (mobs are still yellow for example). And then with just flash it gets a nightmare to get everything back especially if you have to run all around for that. It is also possible that a funny white mage gets the idea to cast regen on you before you engage, which will build aggro on the healer at the start instead of the tank. It is also posible that the DPSes are all single targeting a different mob, which will build aggro pretty fast on several mobs at once that flash will have difficulties to deal with.

I think you should keep an eye on what your party is going because you maybe are not the only one at fault in those cases.

Feel free to add me as friend if you need help or anything ingame! I can possible tag along with you in roulettes and help. Though my timezone may screw with things but well.

(09-01-2016, 12:53 PM)Kage Wrote: Since you don't know what's going on I can't accurately tell you what might have went wrong.

Take note that shifting sands targets a random player so it it's not as if it is stationary. You may have to constantly move.

Cutter's cry is in the range where you as a PLD are stuck with using Sword Oath until you hit 40 (max level you can be in Cutter's) where you get Shield Oath. It's not very easy but it is certainly doable to hold aggro in Sword Oath and as a PLD here.

Are you pulling while being buffed? Are you pulling when you have a HoT (Heal over time)? Typically at that level it's an Aspected Regen-like AST buff or the WHM's Regen (green icon would be on your buff bar). The enemies shouldn't be so easily  ignoring your flash if they're in range and you've used it 2+ times. (Rule of thumb is that you flash around the same number of times as you have enemies and spread your aggro combo: Fast Blade -> Savage Blade -> Rage of Halone)

Also, how well updated is your gear, especially your sword?

Also, if you have ranged and they wail on the mobs as soon as you shield lob and haven't used flash they will get aggro much faster.

I thought I'd responded to this already. Oops. XD Thanks for the advice (and the offer of help, but my Paladin happens to be my one Diabolos char). Ylva is quite undergeared; she's using level 30 stuff still. I need to catch up on main quest to fix that.

Is it true that higher level gear attracts more aggro? I see people talk about low geared people being unable to hold aggro with higher levels around.

I seem to either be posting in this thread or the good PUG thread. I don't seem to get stuff in between lol.

Today I got a PUG for Palace of the Dead 20-30. Seeing as they don't restrict classes we ended up with tank, DPS and two healers. The other healer stuck Cleric Stance on immediately and left most of the healing to me, which was fine. Halfway through the level though the DPS runs off without the rest of the party. I was dumb enough to follow him, thinking he would get himself killed alone. Well, he did after 4 things swarmed him and I couldn't heal him fast enough to keep up. Then they proceeded to take me out as well.

We got raised and he told me to learn how to do my job. Seeing as I'd chased his ass just to try and make sure that he didn't die I rather resented that. The next time he ran off and got killed (and he did) he was on his own!

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 09-08-2016

Yes, damage affects your hate/aggro generation. Having low gear will affect that, definitely.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Parvacake - 09-08-2016

I cannot stand when I'm healing an instance and the tanks and/or DPS run off before I finish casting Protect. Super huge peeve. @_@

Also when DPS tank and then get angry (after tank and I still them to stop it) when they die because they #yolo a huge mob.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - SicketySix - 09-08-2016

(09-08-2016, 12:37 PM)Lililove Wrote: I cannot stand when I'm healing an instance and the tanks and/or DPS run off before I finish casting Protect. Super huge peeve. @_@

Also when DPS tank and then get angry (after tank and I still them to stop it) when they die because they #yolo a huge mob.

As long as you're not the healer who takes 3 minutes to remember to cast Protect, and then get pissed when everyone else runs off, I'll totally back you on this.

(09-08-2016, 12:48 PM)SicketySix Wrote:
(09-08-2016, 12:37 PM)Lililove Wrote: I cannot stand when I'm healing an instance and the tanks and/or DPS run off before I finish casting Protect. Super huge peeve. @_@

As long as you're not the healer who takes 3 minutes to remember to cast Protect, and then get pissed when everyone else runs off, I'll totally back you on this.
Nah I cast as soon as the cutscene barrier is down. Some tanks and DPS will basically sprint and then go and grab all the things and dance out of range. Like damn, take two seconds to let the spell finish.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 09-08-2016

(09-08-2016, 01:25 PM)Lililove Wrote:

Nah I cast as soon as the cutscene barrier is down. Some tanks and DPS will basically sprint and then go and grab all the things and dance out of range. Like damn, take two seconds to let the spell finish.
I... uh... cast while the barrier is still up. Throwing up Stoneskins on folks who are loaded in already and getting Protect up on as many folks right away as possible. Sure, you have to cast a second time to snag the ones you might've missed... but it's not like MP is a problem before the first pull. Blush

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Cecily Jisi - 09-08-2016

This is definitely a major pet peeve that I need to vent about (And don't worry, I censored out any names that weren't my own for protection purposes).
[Image: ASqg5Yd.jpg]
I absolutely can NOT stand FFXIV players that know absolutely nothing about the past games. Especially when elements in past games are IN THIS ONE. Now if you haven't played some, that's fine (I have not yet played FFII, but that doesn't mean I know nothing about it). But to think the other FF games are also MMOs it just... makes a brain vessel pop. Am I being too harsh? Probably. But ignorance at this level just annoys the hell out of me.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Aaron - 09-08-2016

I mean some people are just 1 off players, I wouldn't call it ignorant.

You don't really need to know anything about Final Fantasy to play XIV by itself.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - SicketySix - 09-08-2016

I've uhhh....

I've only played FFXIV so....

Sue me?

(09-08-2016, 01:36 PM)Gegenji Wrote:
(09-08-2016, 01:25 PM)Lililove Wrote:

I... uh... cast while the barrier is still up. Throwing up Stoneskins on folks who are loaded in already and getting Protect up on as many folks right away as possible. Sure, you have to cast a second time to snag the ones you might've missed... but it's not like MP is a problem before the first pull. Blush
It varies based off the situation. If I'm able to catch them all beforehand? Awesome sauce. But if there's a tank/DPS/whoever who watches the whole cut scene and then uses sprint to run towards a mob and gets out of my range so I can get them situated? Yeahno. I get very grumbly about it. It buuuuggggsssss mmmmeeeeeeeee

It's mostly a peeve, overall.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 09-08-2016

(09-08-2016, 03:02 PM)Cecily Jisi Wrote: This is definitely a major pet peeve that I need to vent about (And don't worry, I censored out any names that weren't my own for protection purposes).
[Image: ASqg5Yd.jpg]
I absolutely can NOT stand FFXIV players that know absolutely nothing about the past games. Especially when elements in past games are IN THIS ONE. Now if you haven't played some, that's fine (I have not yet played FFII, but that doesn't mean I know nothing about it). But to think the other FF games are also MMOs it just... makes a brain vessel pop. Am I being too harsh? Probably. But ignorance at this level just annoys the hell out of me.
I guess this is a pet peeve I don't understand.
Don't get me wrong, the only FF titles that I haven't played or completed are 11, 12 and 13..

But I don't understand this? The titles are pretty much unconnected. Just because they chose to put familiar elements in one of their MMO titles doesn't make it necessary.

But yeah it seems like it really is too harsh. I'd rather be annoyed by the ignorance of "I don't like the Final Fantasy titles I've played so I won't try it."

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Cecily Jisi - 09-08-2016

(09-08-2016, 04:18 PM)SicketySix Wrote: I've uhhh....

I've only played FFXIV so....

Sue me?

I mean, if you know about things involving past games, or at least the ones FFXIV alludes to, then whatever man. But I would recommend start buying them. III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, X-2, XIII, and XIII-2 are all on Steam. So start with IV, V, VI, and IX.

And if your knowledge on past FF titles is lacking, I will be happy to teach you! Big Grin