Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 12-30-2014

I've... uh... I've done that. Blush

I had a couple of RP ideas I just never followed up on. Chachan learning some Conjury from Xavarian, for example. I also had an idear for RP with Merri that we started talking about, tried to pick a day to get it rolling... and it never really happened. There was the initial probings by a guy who wanted to do something involving Mor Dhona that never got off the ground either.

I think the one I feel worst about was involving a new player... Littlekitten, I believe. Had transferred over and was apparently going to bring friends as well and wanted to get into the RP scene. I offered Chachan as someone to play with, but the only times we ever seemed to cross paths was when I was heading back to the Hourglass to log out and go to bed. I remember getting some depressing tells about how much trouble she was having getting her feet wet, too. Sad

If you're still around, Little, I'm sorry I never managed to give you the help I promised. And I hope you found some fun folks to RP with.

... Man, I depressed myself quite a bit there.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Edda - 12-30-2014

Fucking Snowcloak man.

Like, just because I'm an i120 WHM doesn't mean you can you pull the adds up to the polar bear with a monk and a ninja in the party and expect me to be able to keep you alive after you run out of cooldowns. Mass trash pulls are a race against time, and with the wrong group comp... Sorry broski, it's not gonna work out. Someone has to die first - the adds, or you.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 12-30-2014

(12-30-2014, 03:18 PM)Edda Wrote: Fucking Snowcloak man.

Like, just because I'm an i120 WHM doesn't mean you can you pull the adds up to the polar bear with a monk and a ninja in the party and expect me to be able to keep you alive after you run out of cooldowns. Mass trash pulls are a race against time, and with the wrong group comp... Sorry broski, it's not gonna work out. Someone has to die first - the adds, or you.

Tanks. I know you see this lone i110+ black mage... but fuck if I can kill all the fuck on trash in one pull when the other dps is still at the begunning or is a monk. At least I can do well with a drg or something but why are you making me do all the damage in this race...

Also ask before you fuck in do those snowcloak pulls. Your i110 sch/whm. Especially that last fuck in room and you don't stun shit.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Dimona - 12-30-2014

Another thing I've seen once or twice is where a white mage will spam Holy and just... phase out and forget that they're supposed to be healing the tank too. I've seen that happen two or three times lately and my thinking is that it's great that they're helping with DPS but.. not at the cost of their primary function to the party! I know once he said something like, "I was about to use benediction but you died. lol" (yes the "lol" was there Rolleyes ) I'm usually pretty polite in DF/PF settings, but my thought was, "Yeah, whose fault was that??" Dodgy

Time benediction better if that's what you're going to say.

I haven't had much experience with WHM at 50 but I imagine the pulls go somewhere like... Tank has hate. Cure 1. Regen. Cleric holy. Turn ofF stance. Cure 1/2 holy. Repeat from cleric holy until dead.

I have actually made a whm use benediction on me. One of the WHM I really admire. He's one of the main reasons t9 farms/clears for me go so smoothly. Oh did someone fuck up elementals and thunder? Only tank whm and blm? WE CAN RECOVER YIS. Third heavensfall? How? Whatever.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Blue - 12-30-2014

(12-30-2014, 03:38 PM)Dimona Wrote: Another thing I've seen once or twice is where a white mage will spam Holy and just... phase out and forget that they're supposed to be healing the tank too. I've seen that happen two or three times lately and my thinking is that it's great that they're helping with DPS but.. not at the cost of their primary function to the party! I know once he said something like, "I was about to use benediction but you died. lol" (yes the "lol" was there Rolleyes ) I'm usually pretty polite in DF/PF settings, but my thought was, "Yeah, whose fault was that??" Dodgy

I've had another excuse:

"Lol you are supposed to pop Hollowed Ground when I do that."

Oh you mean that thing still on cooldown from the previous big pull? <.<

Everyone is a special snowflake.

Healers less so.

Most of the time. I can't ad equate type while at this microscope what I want.

(12-30-2014, 03:38 PM)Dimona Wrote: I know once he said something like, "I was about to use benediction but you died. lol"  (yes the "lol" was there  Rolleyes )

This may be a personal peeve, but I hate people who use texting-style shorthand in a serious context. I mean, if they're trying to say something quick in the heat of battle, that's fine (like "u need 2 move here!" if it's a fight someone's new to, though I've yet to see it in that context since most people just explain beforehand). But if we're standing around and you can't be assed to add the y and o to "you"? It bothers me.

The distaste is probably strengthened that it's always done by the problem folks. The know-it-alls who think they know more than you (see the healer who called me 'u noob tank' in the DD run I mentioned a few pages back), and the derps who aren't paying attention and are just trying to handwave away the blame ('lol soz').

It's a shorthand devised to pass along information quickly and under time constraints. If you're not under time constraints, don't use it in place of normal conversation. It looks terrible and I find myself thinking less of you on the onset. This is a more generalized rant, of course, but I see it in MMOs just as much as everywhere else.

... Um, I feel I should reiterate that I dislike it in serious contexts, though. I can't say I hate its use wholesale when I can see legitimate uses for it, and have used variations of it myself in playful situations. I often respond to my sister's /tells, for example, with a 'yhalothar.' It's not quite the same, but it's not too far off either.

(Also I love "wut." as an incredulous phrase.)

(12-30-2014, 03:41 PM)Kage Wrote: Time benediction better if that's what you're going to say.

I haven't had much experience with WHM at 50 but I imagine the pulls go somewhere like... Tank has hate. Cure 1. Regen. Cleric holy. Turn ofF stance. Cure 1/2 holy. Repeat from cleric holy until dead.
 P much this. Benediction is wholly unnecessary if your tank isn't trash. The delay IS annoying for Benediction, and I've caused wipes because of it before, but learning when to time it is key (shitter white mages need not apply).

For mass pulls, start off with divine seal, a Cure 2/Regen, and Eye for an Eye if you feel it's necessary. Cleric Stance, Holy THREE times, drop out of stance, heal the tank, repeat if necessary (it shouldn't be unless you're carrying two i90 DPS). So long as your tank isn't horribly under-geared, any WHM should be capable of at least this much.

I will say it loud and I will say it proud - If you do not contribute any DPS in any way, shape, or form as a healer, you are playing your class incorrectly.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Nebbs - 12-30-2014

(12-30-2014, 03:18 PM)Edda Wrote: Fucking Snowcloak man.

You know I prefer to pull all before the wolves, then all the wolves. Any more and you are trying your luck with a PuG.

And I use the same approach in other dungeons. Full pull it all really needs everyone present and in the right mix.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Nebbs - 12-30-2014

Anti-Vent!

While a switched on top gear pug is nice and rips through a dungeon.. Do you know what is nicer? A group where half the people are new to it and you go through steady and they learn and everyone has fun, and you chat and all say bye at the end.

(12-30-2014, 03:54 PM)Edda Wrote: I will say it loud and I will say it proud - If you do not contribute any DPS in any way, shape, or form as a healer, you are playing your class incorrectly.

I find it's even easier to get SOME DPS up as SCH than it is for WHM. Mostly because a one-two punch of Adlo and Stoneskin means you can at the very least drop a Swiftcast Shadow Flare and a Miasma II before the enemies eat through it and your tank actually starts to take damage.

Heck, with Aetherflow stacks, you can save a couple for a Lustrate or two before dropping out of Cleric Stance to do some normal healing. Plus, you have your Fairy throwing around Embraces like it ain't no thang.

(12-30-2014, 04:00 PM)Gegenji Wrote:
(12-30-2014, 03:54 PM)Edda Wrote: I will say it loud and I will say it proud - If you do not contribute any DPS in any way, shape, or form as a healer, you are playing your class incorrectly.

I find it's even easier to get SOME DPS up as SCH than it is for WHM. Mostly because a one-two punch of Adlo and Stoneskin means you can at the very least drop a Swiftcast Shadow Flare and a Miasma II before the enemies eat through it and your tank actually starts to take damage.

Heck, with Aetherflow stacks, you can save a couple for a Lustrate or two before dropping out of Cleric Stance to do some normal healing. Plus, you have your Fairy throwing around Embraces like it ain't no thang.
Exactly. It's MUCH easier for SCH to throw up some DPS even with a weak tank, even if it's a but less burst-y than WHM. Having Stoneskin + Adlo on the tank before he pulls, Cleric Stance Swiftcast Shadowflare, Bio II-Miasma-Bio one add, Bane, Miasma II if you have the time, drop out of stance and heal. If your tank is geared, you shouldn't even need lustrates. At lower levels, Eos and Selene can solo heal all the dungeons before Brayflox (save for Qarn NM and to a lesser degree, Cutter's Cry), so there is no excuse to not be a full-time Cleric Stance Scholar in those dungeons. Whenever I see a low level SCH just standing around in a dungeon with their thumbs up their ass... my creys.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Sounsyy - 12-30-2014

(12-30-2014, 03:18 PM)Edda Wrote: Like, just because I'm an i120 WHM doesn't mean you can you pull the adds up to the polar bear with a monk and a ninja in the party and expect me to be able to keep you alive after you run out of cooldowns. Mass trash pulls are a race against time, and with the wrong group comp... Sorry broski, it's not gonna work out. Someone has to die first - the adds, or you.

Thissssssssss! If I don't think my party is equipped to handle big pulls, I'm not gonna big pull, stop asking! I feel like it's the tank's responsibility at the start of any dungeon to gauge your party if you want to big pull. If you're lacking mages or someone is lower IL, big pulling is probably not advisable...

I'd rather fight 3-6 mobs at a time than 9+ then wipe cuz DDs weren't equipped to take down that many mobs in a timely fashion. Especially in Qarn HM cuz those shortcuts...

EDIT:

Also this. I love you Edda. About half of your WHM spells are DPS spells and even more than that for SCH. So... if you're not using over half your arsenal... I consider that incredibly wasteful. And even as a DPS WAR, I don't take that much damage that you need to be full-time curebombing me. Help take down these mobs faster so you never have to Lustrate/Benebomb me.

Also, when I SCH dungeons, my honest goal is to out dps at least one of the DDs in my party. Not even ashamed.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Aaron - 12-30-2014

When NIN try to perfect dodge divebombs in T5.

Yes, you avoid damage.

No, you do not -not- get knocked backed.

No, you do not run back to the pit after getting knocked back (you avoid the damage, not the mechanic guys)

Yes, if you run back to the pit and before you get settled you get the dive icon, you have fucked over everyone and caused a wipe.