Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Blue - 01-03-2015

I know I'm a bit late to join the boat but I just wanted to say that as an Italian (born, raised, and still living in Italy sadly) RPing in English I fully understand where Ilwe comes from. And to think that I own all my English knowledge to Final Fantasy.. it's actually kind of a funny story.

[Image: fymjd.jpg]

Back when I was in middle school (we're talking of the good old 90s here), I was horrible at English. Like, I was so bad, the teacher had given up on me and just didn't even hand me tests anymore. It was always an automatic uh... I think the equal grade to "Gravemente Insufficente" is F over there? I just didn't care to learn.

Anyways, at some point I receive my Play Station one, and with it, FFVII. Italy never bothered translating this game, so it was in English. I played fine until I got to the part where I had to cross-dress. I didn't understand what I was supposed to do. No things to fight, no items to pick up, just a bunch of speaking that looked all the same to me and gave me no hints at all. I gave up on it. The good thing however, was that along with the FFVII discs came a demo of FFVIII, which I enjoyed, and looked forward to play in Italian once it'd come out.

A year later I get FFVIII, in Italian, and have a total blast. In fact, I like it so much I try to give FFVII another go. I get stuck again.

At that point I said "eff it, I WANT to play this". I grabbed a heavy English dictionary (Computers, internet? what was that?), a pencil, rubber, a blank book, and restarted the game. I handwritten and translated by myself every single piece of dialogue throughout the game, with almost zero knowledge of grammar or spelling. Thankfully I got a good memory, and after a bit, I'd stop having to search for certain words in the dictionary. The thing was so damn heavy, my mind would memorize English words (often of completely opposite pronounce than Italian ones) rather than make me struggle to browse through the damn thing again.

I became the best one at English classes in my school in three months, and I beat the game. My teacher felt insulted (we're talking about the age of "games only make you violent!"), lol but damn was it a sweet revenge.

If I look back at the books I wrote (it took me six of them to get all the dialogues of the game), the translations there are horrendous. But hey, the game couldn't teach me grammar, you know? It was mostly memorizing sentences and guessing their meaning based on the context. Thankfully that's when I got the internet, and with it, came FFXI and meeting people from across the ocean.

My RP experience (a whooping and still ongoing seven years) there was what mostly contributed at improving my grammar and finally being able to not just translate, but also make my own sentences and talk to English people in the game. It would have never been possible if those who invited me to their English RP LS hadn't had the greatest patience and tolerance for my mistakes. I owe them a lot to this day, and I'm glad they're still with me to RP, even in XIV.

I am sorry to read of Ilwe's experiences, and sadly I've had them too. But it's also out there that I've met those friendly roleplayers that helped shaping up my skills at a completely foreign language and made my life richer than any kind of friendship here in Italy has ever done.

Not exactly a vent, and maybe the wrong place for a sappy story, but I just wanted to say his posts touched me deeply. You have my whole sympathy and support, I think RPing with you would be nice one day too! Blush

And a huge thanks to Mae and Blade for being the best English-practicing partners I've had in these seven years of roleplaying!

EDIT: And a side note regarding the categories of languages that are difficult to learn... I still suck at both Spanish and French XD Sure some words are similar in pronounce but the grammar rules are all sooo damn different. English's good side is that it has very very little grammar to learn Smile It's mostly a work of memorizing the words.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Steel Wolf - 01-03-2015

(01-02-2015, 09:20 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Combo time:

1) Losing your preferred wedding date to someone else
2) Getting invited to that wedding date
3) Having that wedding get canceled because the people who claimed it missed the reservation

*hugs Warren SO HARD rite nao*

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 01-03-2015

That sucks Warren.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Lady Rivienne - 01-03-2015

Waking up at five in the morning to get your wedding date. Never doing this again. So I understand, Warren. I got a decent hour for a ceremony, but it's midweek since platinum people snagged all the times I was considering, right off the bat.

Gripe: A tank with 4k health trying to tank my first EX, then not being able to find a replacement after wiping a few times. One day I'll get a clear. But it was not that day.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Enteris - 01-03-2015

(01-03-2015, 01:47 PM)R.Delacroux Wrote: Gripe: A tank with 4k health trying to tank my first EX, then not being able to find a replacement after wiping a few times. One day I'll get a clear. But it was not that day.

Same story for me this morning (hell, may have even been the same run). Finally decided to be ballsy enough to pug Garuda EX and get the crap out of my quest log. I go in as NIN because, while I understand the mechanics of the fight, I feel more confident in other people's tanking ability.

First thing I notice... I have at least 1k HP more than everyone else in the party, tanks included. Whatever, though... it's Garuda EX... should be easy enough as long as the tanks know what th... Dear god is the tank seriously tanking Garuda and having her face us?!

Come to find out that the tank is new (not surprising) and speaks only German. Now, I don't mind if people don't speak English as their native, second, third, whatever language. In fact, if you don't know English at all, that's fine. However, there is not enough auto-translate function to explain a fight like Garuda EX to a new tank. Especially when that tank hasn't learned that the enemies, a large percentage of the time, need to face AWAY from the rest of the group...

Add to that the fact that Garuda EX has been out a looooooooooooong ass time... there really isn't too much excuse anymore in not trying to find a video... or hell even a typed up guide... that explains the fight.

Maybe I'm an asshole in expecting such things from people... I dunno...

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Tiergan - 01-03-2015

Dear i130 DPS in ST:

Your gear looks awesome! I admire your crazy damage! I’m sure we’re all amused by how you can rip aggro straight off the i87 warrior in your group with little effort.

However, if you decide to vigorously stroke your e-peen by dropping your load at the very start of fights so that you can purposefully tank bosses while the significantly less-geared tanks scramble to get control of everything - I will just stand back and LET YOU DIE EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

Love Tiergan.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Sounsyy - 01-03-2015

(01-03-2015, 02:12 PM)Tiergan Wrote: However, if you decide to vigorously stroke your e-peen by dropping your load at the very start of fights so that you can purposefully tank bosses while the significantly less-geared tanks scramble to get control of everything - I will just stand back and LET YOU DIE EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

As an i115 deeps WAR, if a DD takes hate off me, I automatically let them have it. Clearly they are better than me. /nod

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Ilwe'ran - 01-03-2015

(01-03-2015, 02:32 PM)Sounsyy Wrote:
(01-03-2015, 02:12 PM)Tiergan Wrote: However, if you decide to vigorously stroke your e-peen by dropping your load at the very start of fights so that you can purposefully tank bosses while the significantly less-geared tanks scramble to get control of everything - I will just stand back and LET YOU DIE EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

As an i115 deeps WAR, if a DD takes hate off me, I automatically let them have it. Clearly they are better than me. /nod

As used to play a duo tank / healer with my husband, I can tell you that a lot of dps moaned and died while we were sitting looking at them tanking. We're not gonna tank or heal you if you wanna play with the aggro. We'll just remind you your place and if you cry too much, we will kick you from our party and let you going back to your 30mn wait for tagging.

Love as well ♥

Ilwe'ran / Isilme & Aghamyr

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Nebbs - 01-03-2015

(01-03-2015, 02:12 PM)Tiergan Wrote: Dear i130 DPS in ST:

Your gear looks awesome!  I admire your crazy damage! I’m sure we’re all amused by how you can rip aggro straight off the i87 warrior in your group with little effort.

However, if you decide to vigorously stroke your e-peen by dropping your load at the very start of fights so that you can purposefully tank bosses while the significantly less-geared tanks scramble to get control of everything - I will just stand back and LET YOU DIE EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

Love Tiergan.

Well you know when they die they dump aggro, it's a self adjusting mechanic. Works as intended.

You pull it.. you tank it.

Tanking Truths for DPS  (assuming tank doing their job)
  • If you pull the mobs first, you will have aggro and die
  • If you pull a mob off the tank and don't let them take it back, you will keep aggro and die
  • If you single target when everyone else AOEs and don't spread your damage, you will pull aggro and die

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - C'kayah Polaali - 01-03-2015

And clearly, as a White Mage, if I see some DD repeatedly grabbing aggro, why they must be so good they don't need healing, too! Time for Cleric Stance and applying some sweet, sweet* DPS!

*We're talking 4 or more DPS, baby!

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Sounsyy - 01-03-2015

(01-03-2015, 03:21 PM)Ckayah Polaali Wrote: And clearly, as a White Mage, if I see some DD repeatedly grabbing aggro, why they must be so good they don't need healing, too! Time for Cleric Stance and applying some sweet, sweet* DPS!

LMAO well clearly if DPS are taking hate off Tank, Tank isn't taking as much damage and therefor as healer I can nuke. ^^ Mmmmm.

On the serious side, sometimes as BRD I am guilty of unintentionally ripping hate in things like ST... but mainly because Quelling Strikes just doesn't have enough negative enmity. <3 At least when I BRD tank tho I don't run all over the damn place. I stay right where I am and burn that thing down like a pro before it kills me cuz I know no sane healer is gonna heal me for my crimes against humanity.

(01-03-2015, 03:21 PM)C Wrote: And clearly, as a White Mage, if I see some DD repeatedly grabbing aggro, why they must be so good they don't need healing, too! Time for Cleric Stance and applying some sweet, sweet* DPS!

You should have been in cleric stance anyway! You inly leave that as a last resort to prove that the WHM can save the day.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 01-03-2015

(01-03-2015, 03:26 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: On the serious side, sometimes as BRD I am guilty of unintentionally ripping hate in things like ST... but mainly because Quelling Strikes just doesn't have enough negative enmity. <3 At least when I BRD tank tho I don't run all over the damn place. I stay right where I am and burn that thing down like a pro before it kills me cuz I know no sane healer is gonna heal me for my crimes against humanity.

If you have a dumbass in yellow tanking for you, he'll actually try to pull it off of you.

Sad

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Parvacake - 01-03-2015

To the jackass troll spamming my RP the other night,

You were just sooooo fucking amusing. No, seriously. Photobombing all the screenshots I was trying to take for AND HOUR AND A HALF and making me miss most of the awesome lighting I had. Out of all of it, I only snagged one good one but it was a singular picture.
[Image: fAMLdtC.png]

You still suck Mr. Ridiculous-Name-I-Can't-Spell.

-Lili