Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 01-05-2015

Hey FFXIV.

CAN YOU STOP PERIODICALLY CRASHING ON BOOT I AM FUCKING TIRED OF THAT SHIT.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kou - 01-08-2015

1) As I was leveling White Mage...

I was placed into a Brayflox run with a tank so bad that they had less health than I did. And I wasn't even level-synced. Didn't communicate, didn't ask questions, didn't understand why he was dying, didn't listen to anything we said, and didn't understand that monsters being sleeped shouldn't be poked.

Many deaths were had. Eventually we kicked the guy because holy crap, how can anyone be that bad? We thought he as trolling, but I'm pretty sure he was really that bad. Q_Q

2)Then another time in... what's it. Stone Vigil? The tank didn't use Flash, didn't keep agro off me, and kept insisting he was doing fine and it was the rest of us that were doing terribly.

That one ended up rage-quitting. I was so relieved that I all-capsed in party chat: 

Show Content

The group laughed. I let off steam.

Frustration was high on both accounts.

3) Not quite so terrible. Mostly to do with the laggy laggity lagness that plagues FFXIV and my own interwebs. Sibling? Using Netflix while I'm trying to play a few hours that I normally can't? AND THEN STEPDAD BRINGS HOME WORK TO SUCK MORE BANDWIDTH?

FAMILY. OUR INTERWEBS ARE BETTER, BUT THEY AIN'T THAT GOOD.

4) Flopping mudras. jfc, I flopped so many mudras so hard today and it made me want to laugh and cry. Laugh, because bunny. Cry, because it kept happening. Q_Q

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Warren Castille - 01-08-2015

Far be it from me to begrudge anyone who has IC party macros. I will judge you behind my screen, but I won't give anyone guff over it.

BUT PLEASE. FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD AND HOLY. IF YOU INSIST ON HAVING A THREE-POST LIMIT BREAK MACRO

SPELL

YOUR

SHIT

CORRECTLY.

YOU ARE NOT THE GOD DAMNED "HABRINGER" OF LIGHT. YOU ARE NOT TO "ANIULATE" THE DARKNESS. USE A GOD DAMNED CAPITAL "I" WHEN REFERRING TO YOURSELF. AND "U" IS NOT A WORD.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Steel Wolf - 01-08-2015

(01-08-2015, 08:34 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: Far be it from me to begrudge anyone who has IC party macros. I will judge you behind my screen, but I won't give anyone guff over it.

BUT PLEASE. FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD AND HOLY. IF YOU INSIST ON HAVING A THREE-POST LIMIT BREAK MACRO

SPELL

YOUR

SHIT

CORRECTLY.

YOU ARE NOT THE GOD DAMNED "HABRINGER" OF LIGHT. YOU ARE NOT TO "ANIULATE" THE DARKNESS. USE A GOD DAMNED CAPITAL "I" WHEN REFERRING TO YOURSELF. AND "U" IS NOT A WORD.

...oh....

...oh man, that just...Warren, you're a far greater man for not saying anything in-party about it. I would be up the freakin' WALL over that.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Warren Castille - 01-08-2015

Conditioning from FFXI. It became a sort of joke on linkshells; you'd just sigh, type "/l WHM with party macros" and post any egregious ones.

That was just the cherry on my Expert Roulette sundae. 5.2k HP WHM, 6k HP DRG and a 5.5k HP BRD and I couldn't pull big packs in Qarn because I'd die. I guess the emergency maintenance last night was to patch back in the AoE they somehow disabled.

/fume

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Steel Wolf - 01-08-2015

(01-08-2015, 08:43 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: Conditioning from FFXI.

....aaaah, that explains it. Yea, the "clever" macro'ing that dominated the parties I've been in that game...still makes my eye twitch.

*gives Warren an ice cream cone* <3

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 01-08-2015

Last night's Qarn HM...

Like, self-blow up. Why are you typing in Shifting Sands? Fine.

BUT WHY THE FUCK WERE THE NINJAS ARGUING ON HOW TO PROPERLY HANDLE EMPERATRIZ'S THIRD 100,000 NEEDLES? YOU KILL GUARDIA YOU NUKE EMPERATRIZ IS THAT SO HARD?

Or, the SCH without Protect. I didn't even know you could get to SCH without learning protect! Stoneskin is w/e but Protect? C'MON THAT DOESN'T VANISH AFTER THE FIRST HIT.

Also the clever macroing in this game isn't clever for the most part Sad

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Berrod Armstrong - 01-08-2015

(01-08-2015, 08:34 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: Far be it from me to begrudge anyone who has IC party macros. I will judge you behind my screen, but I won't give anyone guff over it.

SPELL

YOUR

SHIT

CORRECTLY.

This made me laugh so hard oh my word. I even imagined the toon screaming it out in a derp voice. "NURRR!"

I have a few macros for my abilities as well, but nothing like that. Just chakra shit. 
("Open the fourth! The burning heart!" for fists of fire, or "Open the seventh, the crown breaks the limit!" for LB, those are fun.)

I learned my lesson about long macros in WoW when I was but a babby, playing ret Pally as an off spec. I'd have my BLOW ALL THE COOLDOWNS macro with a few lines of crap that went something like, "Bla bla blah Light something something something transgressor! Repent, and disappear!" 

I got so much flak for it that I cut it down to just "Repent, and disappear!".

While I was healing I had a few. Holy radiance, "Rally to <targeto-san>! The Light has favored them!" and a couple for the protective spells. Those were more indicators of what people should do while the spell was active, anyway -- just flavored a bit.

...and I have rambled off topic.

I suppose the only woe I have in PuGs these days -- shiva hard and extreme. I understand that sometimes people get hit with stuff even when they're trying to avoid it. That's fine. Eating stuff they really oughtn't and then yelling at the healers...no.

KISS. Knights in Satan's Service Keep it simple, stupid. I've got no problem with the effective IC macros. It's the long-winded, often-used ability macros that drive me nuts. Don't have a Cure I macro, for example. Don't have an Adlo macro. DON'T HAVE A FAST BLADE MACRO.

Amateur Psyche time: I remember the last time I used IC party macros. Was a party in Garlaige Citadel and we ended up with linked bats, so I hit my Invincible macro, which was something along the lines of "Let's see you go through me now!"

Delay caused my ability to not fire until I was dead, so my corpse boasted to the party how awesome I was. We had a good laugh about it and then I gutted that macro to just be /p {Invincible}

I swore never again! The end.

I tried to set up a series of skills as a macro in this game on my PLD, complete with some flavor text. Basically it was Bloodbath, Convalescence and Fight or Flight with a "Your blood shall grant me strength..." say and named it "Panic Heal". The idea, of course, is to have a series of skills to keep me upright a bit in case heals are falling behind or when I'm in solo trouble.

The damn thing never ticks off all the skills, despite /wait commands.

Macroing multiple skills often necessitates mashing the macro to make them all fire. There's a couple reasons for this.

First, while Off-GCD skills are be used in succession, there's a roughly-one-second internal cooldown on skills. In WoW, a macro consisting of 9 off-GCD buffs would all fire at the same time. XIV doesn't allow you to do that, so a macro consisting of Internal Release, Blood for Blood and Raging Strikes requires three different presses to activate, each bringing that 1~second cooldown. This is why theorycrafters weave Off-GCDs into normal GCDs; As soon as you've used two off-GCD buttons back to back, you've effectively lost an attack due to lag/input/etc.

Second, while XIV allows you to buffer abilities by hitting them early, macros are not subject to this. "Buffering," if anyone is unfamiliar with the mechanic, means you can press the button for your new skill before the GCD is up and you will automatically use that skill as soon as you're able. The window isn't huge, but it isn't small, either; Usually around .5~seconds in advance, maybe more. I mash my buttons anyway, so I can't tell how big it actually is.

Thirdly, macros with /wait timers cannot split half-seconds. XIV harbors a 2.5second GCD, but /wait macros can only do whole numbers. Macroing multiple attacks to a single macro means you're going to be stuck waiting 3 seconds after every attack, which is not a good idea for obvious reasons. Admittedly, this isn't what you're doing, Steel, but I'm including it for posterity!

So yeah, in short: Those sorts of macros require you to 1) mash the key and 2) lose attacks to process everything. What you could do in that situation is mash the macro, then hit an attack button, then mash the macro again to fire off the second ability, then hit an attack button, then mash the macro again to get the third skill.

Oooh, that makes a great deal of sense. Thanks a ton for that breakdown. :3

Since a Macro was intended to save time as well as de-clutter my hotbars, I'm just better off manually ticking them off instead of macro'ing them out. Probably save a few split-seconds if I just bind the keys to a series of numpad buttons instead.

So yea, that's a new vent tent addition--this game sucks at macros.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Berrod Armstrong - 01-08-2015

(01-08-2015, 09:34 AM)Steel Wolf Wrote: Oooh, that makes a great deal of sense.  Thanks a ton for that breakdown.  :3

Since a Macro was intended to save time as well as de-clutter my hotbars, I'm just better off manually ticking them off instead of macro'ing them out.  Probably save a few split-seconds if I just bind the keys to a series of numpad buttons instead.

So yea, that's a new vent tent addition--this game sucks at macros.
I have my johnfuckingmadden abilities set to numbers 1-7 on my keyboard. DADDY LONGFINGERS HAS NO ISSUE. Plus, they look so neat on the hotbar.

Controller set with double-crossbars. I've got 32 buttons available at all times, and I'd say 99% of them are muscle memory. It's just like using alt/ctrl modifiers with triggers, and I love it.

(01-08-2015, 09:38 AM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote: I have my johnfuckingmadden abilities set to numbers 1-7 on my keyboard. DADDY LONGFINGERS HAS NO ISSUE. Plus, they look so neat on the hotbar.

I've gots me normal finguz, but I also have a SteelSeries keyboard with this lovely gamepad on the side. That said, the second hotbar, upper right, has skills that defy even that setup. Thus. Numpad for clicky skills that are purely panic/situational.

lol'd at "johfuckingmadden abilities", by the way. XD