Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kou - 01-12-2015

(01-11-2015, 06:04 PM)Foxling Wrote: Popping in for a quick rant...

Auto blame on DRGs. Only had this once so far, hoping it doesn't happen again.

Let me set the scene for you... Running AV because I switched GC and needed to do it. Fine, i've done it before as a DRG, easy enough.

First room. Tank pulls the frog and a nearby set of enemies. Fine. Then proceeds to body pull another set. Okay, can still work with that. MNK starts spamming aoe, I primarily stick to single target rotation because the tank looks pretty shaky with aggro. Use ring of thorns probably twice, I never personally draw aggro off of the tank.

Anyway, that lot goes down. Tank proceeds to rush off, grabs another set of enemies body pulls another set. Okay, round two of this then. I got one ring of thorns off and then switched to single targeting an enemy that took off after the healer. Tank has meanwhile body pulled another set of enemies and the MNK is aoe spamming.

We end up wiping.

Who gets blamed for the wipe? Me. If I was being blamed for not adding aoe DPS I would happily accept that the wipe was my fault. But no. I get blamed for the wipe for using too many aoe attacks. The MNK was spamming aoe but no, must be DRGs fault because lol DRG, right? Then the healer starts making comments about how i'm a noob and can't do my job, the tank starts making comments about how they're on T11 and are too good for this sort of failure. 

I don’t mind running with PuGs most of the time but it’s runs like that that really make me dislike the whole system.
Wait. Back up.

... When did autoblaming a DRG become a thing?

Has this always been a thing?

Why is this a thing??

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Edda - 01-12-2015

(01-11-2015, 06:04 PM)Foxling Wrote: I got one ring of thorns off and then switched to single targeting an enemy that took off after the healer.
You did the right thing. It is not just the responsibility of the tanks to protect their healers. A healer cannot be expected to keep up a group doing a mass pull if they are being attacked.

Also:
(01-11-2015, 06:04 PM)Foxling Wrote: they're on T11 and are too good for this sort of failure.
[Image: pm6rKmQ.jpg]
Anyone who ever talks about how progressed they are in Coils as a show of skill in 4-man content is a Shitter. No exceptions.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Melkire - 01-12-2015

(01-12-2015, 03:17 AM)Edda Wrote: Anyone who ever talks about how progressed they are in Coils as a show of skill in 4-man content is a Shitter. No exceptions.

This, so much. The two types of content are so different that using eight-man endgame as some sort of qualification for four-man instances is beyond stupid. Especially when it comes to long-pulling/mass-pulling trash. >.<;;

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Unnamed Mercenary - 01-12-2015

(01-12-2015, 03:51 AM)Melkire Wrote:
(01-12-2015, 03:17 AM)Edda Wrote: Anyone who ever talks about how progressed they are in Coils as a show of skill in 4-man content is a Shitter. No exceptions.

This, so much. The two types of content are so different that using eight-man endgame as some sort of qualification for four-man instances is beyond stupid. Especially when it comes to long-pulling/mass-pulling trash. >.<;;

ESPECIALLY in AV. AV is still by far the hardest dungeon in the game. It's level synced. No lv50 abilities, and it's /incredibly/ easy to overpull mobs if you aren't paying attention. It really is one of those places where you kinda need to grab a mob, and pull it way back to keep it away from its friends.

And that's why I love AV. It's so much fun to watch people get angry at having to take it slow. Because their T13-clearing bodies are not ready for an angry morbol.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Steel Wolf - 01-12-2015

(01-12-2015, 11:53 AM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: And that's why I love AV. It's so much fun to watch people get angry at having to take it slow. Because their T13-clearing bodies are not ready for an angry morbol.

XD I lol'd at this. Honestly, there's nothing quite as sweet as the tears of a "super e-leet raider"

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 01-12-2015

I think that's why I dislike AV as much as I do. You're SO CLOSE to having all your skills and the full bonus of your gear... but you're not. ALMOST THERE. But not. 49. 49!

Really, it's mostly a matter of contention with my SCH since I love my Lustrate so much. It's not so much a big deal when I'm in there with a DPS or tank and I have basically all the moves I need save for the capper and a single cross-class skill. Lustrate is crucial in my "get all my dots up and aid in the DPS before topping off the tank" strategy. Sad

Also, lag always seemed to jump in during Coincounter and you do NOT want lag during Coincounter.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Sounsyy - 01-12-2015

(01-12-2015, 03:17 AM)Edda Wrote:
(01-11-2015, 06:04 PM)Foxling Wrote: they're on T11 and are too good for this sort of failure.
Anyone who ever talks about how progressed they are in Coils as a show of skill in 4-man content is a Shitter. No exceptions.

This. But can we also talk about how a supposed T11 Tank doesn't have the situational awareness to recognize A) the difference between MNK AoE skills and DRG AoE skills, and B) see that their healer is taking damage and there's a DRG having to save his/her butt.

Also, grats on T11 sir, but you realize this is a level 47 dungeon and you have a MNK and DRG in your party and probably shouldn't be big pulling in the first place.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Enteris - 01-12-2015

I'm pulling threat in sword oath with my riot blade rotation. Clearly I am doing something wrong. Especially with my lack of any poetics gear and my three stat Novus weapons. 

When you have better gear than me, want to main tank, and charge ahead of the entire group before buffs are ready... Please hold threat off of me. I'm already holding off on my rage of halone combo (and spirits within and circle of scorn and fight or flight...) to allow you to be the big bad tank you so desire to be... Do the damned job.

Light farming really brings the worst out of me......

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - FreelanceWizard - 01-12-2015

(01-12-2015, 11:53 AM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: ESPECIALLY in AV. AV is still by far the hardest dungeon in the game. It's level synced. No lv50 abilities, and it's /incredibly/ easy to overpull mobs if you aren't paying attention. It really is one of those places where you kinda need to grab a mob, and pull it way back to keep it away from its friends.

More importantly than the level sync is the implicit item level sync in AV, caused by the level sync. That ensures the dungeon doesn't get trivialized. If only we could have that aggressive level of item sync in all the level 50 content, perhaps based on the item level for which the content was designed...

...then maybe we could stop having such a grindy gear treadmill.

Ah, I can dream. Smile

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Unnamed Mercenary - 01-12-2015

(01-12-2015, 01:49 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote:
(01-12-2015, 11:53 AM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: ESPECIALLY in AV. AV is still by far the hardest dungeon in the game. It's level synced. No lv50 abilities, and it's /incredibly/ easy to overpull mobs if you aren't paying attention. It really is one of those places where you kinda need to grab a mob, and pull it way back to keep it away from its friends.

More importantly than the level sync is the implicit item level sync in AV, caused by the level sync. That ensures the dungeon doesn't get trivialized. If only we could have that aggressive level of item sync in all the level 50 content, perhaps based on the item level for which the content was designed...

Ah, I can dream. Smile

That would be both awesome and terrible. ...Imagine, Amdapor Keep and Wanderer's Palace synced back down to i50-60! 

Demon Wall and Speedruns would be destroyed. So beautiful.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Melkire - 01-12-2015

(01-12-2015, 02:00 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: Demon Wall and Speedruns would be destroyed. So beautiful.

Demon Wall needs its flies back.

I have never before seen a fight's enrage mechanic so trivialized by a nerf.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - McBeefâ„¢ - 01-12-2015

(01-12-2015, 02:00 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:
(01-12-2015, 01:49 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote:

Ah, I can dream. Smile

That would be both awesome and terrible. ...Imagine, Amdapor Keep and Wanderer's Palace synced back down to i50-60! 

It wasn't that beautiful at the time. People speedrunned WP in 2.0. Had to get those tomestones of philosophy somehow.

In the days before roulettes. There was only AK and WP speed runs, or yelling at fresh 50s to stop watching cutscenes in Castrum.

Gotta get that darklight!

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 01-12-2015

T10 and T11, tanks just need to move around a bit and throw their cooldowns. Bleh ;p Nothing awesome about clearing t11 when you can't see that you're not doing your job.

But also keep in mind, shitty healer was also bad for not recognizing a DPS that went to help the healer.

(01-12-2015, 02:06 PM)Melkire Wrote: I have never before seen a fight's enrage mechanic so trivialized by a nerf.
Enrage mechanic? Either I hit AK too late or I wouldn't call the bees actual enrage.

Also, I hate long dungeons and AV is long. An actual forced item level sync in the 50 dungeons is stupid and asinine.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Sounsyy - 01-12-2015

(01-12-2015, 02:07 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote:
(01-12-2015, 02:00 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: That would be both awesome and terrible. ...Imagine, Amdapor Keep and Wanderer's Palace synced back down to i50-60! 

It wasn't that beautiful at the time. People speedrunned WP in 2.0. Had to get those tomestones of philosophy somehow.

In the days before roulettes. There was only AK and WP speed runs, or yelling at fresh 50s to stop watching cutscenes in Castrum.

Gotta get that darklight!

Yeah, we used to speed run WP and AK even back at IL55. Only back then the preferred method was tank sacrifice. @_@ My wallet and I both are very glad those days are done.

Also, Demon Wall is fun to solo as SCH. (Y'know, cuz your other party members all fell off the side at very first knockback.) Pull Selene out, go Cleric Stance and dps away. Selene can literally heal you through standing in the purple goop once the Wall has pushed you all the way there. Just keep dpsing until dead. Have done. Great success. Three commendations. Much recommend.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Steel Wolf - 01-12-2015

Urgh, I STILL have fits over the AK and WP runs. Probably why I got annoyed/bored of PLD.

Also why I desperately want my Soldiery gear so I can be rid of that Darklight shit. >.<