Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Nebbs - 01-12-2015

(01-12-2015, 03:41 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: Here's my vent for the day:

Being 1400 soldiery away from Zodiac weapon and you're farming Prae, Chimera, and Hydra for soldiery bonus AND THERE ARE NO NEW PEOPLE?!?! WUT! COME ON SE. Gimme a "New People Need Help Roulette" Plz. TY.

HEARKEN UNTO ME NUBLETS AND SCRUBLETS OF THE WORLD AND GIVE ME THYNE SOLDIERY BONUS!

I really feel for you.. wait a minute no no no! just wait a day or two more. Dazed

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Melkire - 01-12-2015

So last week a friend of mine asked if I'd like to help him clear a few dungeons for his Zodiac progress. It was 2 or 3 in the morning, so my brain had already checked out for the night. I told him sure, I'd be happy to help, but could he please tank for us and I'd zombie DPS (note to self, level cap a healer already, you lazy git).

So we wait around in queue and finally hop into Wanderer's Palace. My friend the WAR pulled the trash up the first set of stairs. The NIN and I (on MNK) killed off most of the pack, whereupon my friend went ahead and pulled the rest of the corridor up to the first boss with the intention of locking the rest of that shit out.

I have to take a minute to pause and note that our healer was well-geared. We all were. 110+ upon cursory inspection. Healer was def 120 or up around 115 or so, being geared in a mix of High Allagan and Ironworks. Wanderer's Palace is a level 50 dungeon. We were all at at least twice the recommended gear level for this instance, and despite the recent implementation of level sync to 110, 110 is still more than twice 50.

So we reach the goobue and our tank stands at the entrance to lock out the trash, then tells me over VoIP to go ahead and pull the boss. The instant I did so, the healer flat out stopped healing. There where no outbound heals for at least 10, maybe 15 seconds. Needless to say, our tank died from holding the trash AND the boss.

Trash got locked out at the point, leaving me, the NIN, and the WHM with the boss. So I go ahead using PB and the resulting GLIII to hold hate on the boss. Swapped into Fists of Earth. Popped Bloodbath. Popped Featherfoot. Popped Second Wind.

Not once did the WHM heal me. They chose instead to let me die and let us wipe, then proceeded to argue with my friend and I that "monk tanking isn't a thing and my FC is telling me that you can't monk tank the first boss in here and I wasn't going to waste time on something that was going to fail."

"What about just long enough to Swiftcast Raise the tank?"

"I already used that to heal him on his first pull."

...bitch, we're wearing endgame gear doing a dungeon intended for fresh 50s that was only difficult a year ago, and monk tanking is most certainly a thing, and god damn I can definitely tank a lv 50 dungeon first boss with 5000+ health and my cooldowns, and you shouldn't have had to use Swiftcast on healing HALF A LONG PULL (wtf did you do, Swiftcast Benediction him?), and why don't you just STOP BEING BAD YOU DUMBASS NONE OF THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN AN ISSUE IF YOU'D JUST BOTHERED TO HEAL THE TANK WHILE WE LOCKED OUT THE TRASH.

We were forced to clear the trash while we waited for the mandatory time to elapse before we kicked his/her ass for harassment. Because that's just what that was. Harassment by way of being an uncooperative schmuck who upon returning to the entrance decided to sit there and refuse to come heal for us. Shit, even the NIN pug started yelling at his ass to come help us finish the run. Nope. Obstinate WHM is obstinate. So we kicked him/her.

Thankfully, the retard's replacement was competent (and actually, you know, a human being, with actual intelligence) despite being less well-geared, so we proceeded without any further difficulty, skipped most of the trash, burned the last two bosses down, and (luckily) got my friend his drop in that one run of WP.

But goddamn. Never have I been so flabbergasted at someone's stupidity. You're an i115 healer, you can't be bothered to lock out trash, you've never seen a monk tank a 4-man instance boss, and you're going to waste your own time on top of everyone else's? How the FLIPPING FUDGE did you even get that well-geared to begin with?

*cough*buyingruns*cough*

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 01-12-2015

(01-12-2015, 04:37 PM)Melkire Wrote: But goddamn. Never have I been so flabbergasted at someone's stupidity. You're a i120+ healer, you can't be bothered to lock out trash, you've never seen a monk tank a 4-man instance boss, and you're going to waste your own time on top of everyone else's? How the FLIPPING FUDGE did you even get that well-geared to begin with?

*cough*buyingruns*cough*

I'm reminded at how flabbergasted the tank and healer were in a Cutter's Cry run when both of them died to the last boss and me and the other DPS (both NINs) straight up kited the guy to death using Mudras and throwing knives when we had aggro, and more close-range stuff when we didn't.

Oh, and the one time I self-healed myself through a similar situation as PLD with only me and one of the DPS left standing.

... I really seem to get the weirdest people in Cutter's Cry, really.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 01-12-2015

Bought runs or just bad healer.

Mix of HA and Ironworks is <i120 btw. Since HA is i110 and Ironworks is i120. Also, they could be one of the "welfare" gear needing players. Depending of HA pieces, they might not have played the turns where healing is actually "difficult"

If they have t9 stuff I'd point towards bought runs, bad healer, or it's an off-class.

edit:
I'm starting to get horrible people in my Qarn runs. T_T

(01-12-2015, 04:43 PM)Kage Wrote: Bought runs or just bad healer.

Mix of HA and Ironworks is <i120 btw. Since HA is i110 and Ironworks is i120. Also, they could be one of the "welfare" gear needing players. Depending of HA pieces, they might not have played the turns where healing is actually "difficult"

If they have t9 stuff I'd point towards bought runs, bad healer, or it's an off-class.

edit:
I'm starting to get horrible people in my Qarn runs. T_T

My bad, you're right. Dude was around 115. I don't recall seeing a HA Crook or pants, but they had enough HA pieces and accessories to make me doubt that this was a "welfare player." And even if they were...

Still. STILL.

Dear healers who queue solo for 4-man content: if all three of your party members are telling your ass to suck it up, either suck it up and deal, or else leave so you don't waste other people's time on top of your own.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Sounsyy - 01-12-2015

(01-12-2015, 03:55 PM)Kage Wrote: Gather up a few friends who want to farm T9 or need soldiery.

Get people T9 clears for soldiery bonus.

Profit?

But ewwwwww T9. =x

(01-12-2015, 03:58 PM)Melodia Wrote: *Drags Sounsyy off for....the soldiery bonus. Yes....the soldiery bonus.*AngelWink

Oh my! Is it um... Melodia's first time? If that's the case, I won't speed run it. /nod

(01-12-2015, 04:47 PM)Melkire Wrote: Dear healers who queue solo for 4-man content: if all three of your party members are telling your ass to suck it up, either suck it up and deal, or else leave so you don't waste other people's time on top of your own.

I... I solo queue with Gogon all the time. Cry

I have yet been told to suck it up. Worst that happens is that the tank decides to go for big pulls without telling me - and sometimes not even bothering to pop the necessary defensive buffs.

So I'm running after them, my fairy trying to keep up, burning Swiftcast for an ADLO of all things... and then dropping Sacred Soil if I haven't burned through all my Lustrates on them.

I literally had a situation... two days ago? Where I had a WAR who must've been horribly squishy or not bothering to use his cooldowns. Because he pulled the first two packs of HM Qarn, I dropped a Sacred Soil to help mitigate, and he was dead before I could even hit my Lustrate. Felt bad, man.

Still, we tried again, he went a little bit slower, and we finished everything fine.

I've been getting some weird people in my HM Qarn runs, though. Like, double awesome BLM action until one of them bails the dungeon halfway through a pull after the first boss to go do a hunt. His reasoning (according to his friend, the other BLM) was that it was because he was working on his relic weapon and wanted tomes... question mark? He was replaced by a BRD and the BLM ragged on the BRD's DPS the entire rest of the run, which we managed to still finish despite the squabbling DPS duo.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - TheLastCandle - 01-12-2015

(01-12-2015, 03:41 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: Here's my vent for the day:

Being 1400 soldiery away from Zodiac weapon and you're farming Prae, Chimera, and Hydra for soldiery bonus AND THERE ARE NO NEW PEOPLE?!?! WUT! COME ON SE. Gimme a "New People Need Help Roulette" Plz. TY.

HEARKEN UNTO ME NUBLETS AND SCRUBLETS OF THE WORLD AND GIVE ME THYNE SOLDIERY BONUS!

Help me level my alt to 50 and I'll do all of the 50 dunjuns with you, for all of the Soldiery bonus. <3

(01-12-2015, 04:53 PM)Gegenji Wrote: I literally had a situation... two days ago? Where I had a WAR who must've been horribly squishy or not bothering to use his cooldowns. Because he pulled the first two packs of HM Qarn, I dropped a Sacred Soil to help mitigate, and he was dead before I could even hit my Lustrate. Felt bad, man.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I know that when I'm pulling multiple packs on WAR in a single pull, I generally prefer for my healers to drop at least a heal or two on me once I've secured hate rather than going straight for mitigation (not that I ever tell pug healers this, I'd rather just pull and have them figure me out than waste time communicating by text).

After all, I could be dead by the time your mit comes through (Brayflox HM river pull comes to mind), or maybe I just wasn't quite finished positioning the mobs and now your Sacred Soil is totally in the wrong place.

tl;dr: some tanks have a love-hate relationship with healers, spoil us so that we can speedrun this content more efficiently okplzkthnxbai.

(01-12-2015, 04:58 PM)Melkire Wrote:
(01-12-2015, 04:53 PM)Gegenji Wrote: I literally had a situation... two days ago? Where I had a WAR who must've been horribly squishy or not bothering to use his cooldowns. Because he pulled the first two packs of HM Qarn, I dropped a Sacred Soil to help mitigate, and he was dead before I could even hit my Lustrate. Felt bad, man.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I know that when I'm pulling multiple packs on WAR in a single pull, I generally prefer for my healers to drop at least a heal or two on me once I've secured hate rather than going straight for mitigation.

After all, I could be dead by the time your mit comes through (Brayflox HM river pull comes to mind), or maybe I just wasn't quite finished positioning the mobs and now your Sacred Soil is totally in the wrong place.

tl;dr: some tanks have a love-hate relationship with healers, spoil us so that we can speedrun this content more efficiently okplzkthnxbai.

Understandable. I'm usually of the belief that a Stoneskin/Adlo combo would usually get me enough time to drop a SC-Shadow Flare or something before they melt into the floor, and a Sacred Soil is quicker than that. Sad

Then again, he might have run off without either of those buffs and I was in panic mode. Either or.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Aduu Avagnar - 01-12-2015

However, please for the love of god tell me that you agree with healers before you start whether or not to do a speedrun?

My biggest vent is when I am not really in a mood for a speedrun, just taking it at a basic pace for various reasons,and I get yelled at, and even kicked from groups, because I didn't want to speedrun certain content.

(01-12-2015, 05:26 PM)Nako Wrote: However, please for the love of god tell me that you agree with healers before you start whether or not to do a speedrun?

My biggest vent is when I am not really in a mood for a speedrun, just taking it at a basic pace for various reasons,and I get yelled at, and even kicked from groups, because I didn't want to speedrun certain content.

If it's not an Expert Roulette dungeon (read: the latest three to be released), I ask. Maybe I'm in Low Level and the healer is new. Maybe they rolled a new dungeon and this is their first time in ______ (my favorite is Pharos, ewwwwww). I DEFINITELY ask for Brayflox HM river pull, since with the right party composition you can save a lot of time but with a subpar healer you can wipe hard; I never ask for mass-pulling the goblin gliders, I just inform the healer of what to expect, then charge in balls-to-the-wall with Bloodbath+Vengeance.

If we're in an Expert Roulette dungeon, odds are everyone is there to get their daily poetics bonus out of the way. They don't really want to be in there, running a dungeon for the umpteenth time. Most healers who queue for these are geared for them, as well, and are usually familiar enough with the content. So no, in these instances I don't ask, I just give the healer enough time to Stoneskin and Protect, and then we're off to long-pulling. If we wipe on a long pull, upon return I default to pulling one pack at a time.

tl;dr: if I'm in there for Expert bonus, you're likely in there for Expert bonus, and if this ain't the first week or two of new dungeons, then we've both most likely been here before, so you know what's coming, and you probably don't want to be here, so brothers and sisters I am speedrunning this bitch until we wipe.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - SerialX - 01-12-2015

I did my first three dungeons today (Woo, I'm slowly graduating from being a nubling!), and while the first two went without a hitch (and even got some commendation points for it!), the third was a bit... annoying.
Now I am a Rogue, so in general I don't have much to get annoyed at, but this Archer just wouldn't stay still. Kept pulling instead of waiting for the tank, kept shooting at enemies that the tank was not focusing on, randomly goes afk in the middle of fights.

Aargh, it got on my nerves so badly.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Telluride - 01-12-2015

(01-12-2015, 05:26 PM)Nakoli Chalahko Wrote: However, please for the love of god tell me that you agree with healers before you start whether or not to do a speedrun?

Ugh, yeah. My very first time tanking Haukke (normal), I got into a group that just... took off. The DPS immediately started targeting things the second that the healer cast protect, while I was still setting up my Signs panel, because when I tank, I like to mark the %$#@$ targets, thank you.

Immediately, the three of them start getting overwhelmed by the first Succubus and her friends, and I just barely managed to get into combat when they started griping that I had not stunned the Succubus' AOE. I asked quite reasonably to let me get aggro, to which they declared a Speedrun and that "You weren't doing anything anyway."

It was worth losing my DF for a while to let them do their badass three-person run, or twiddle their thumbs waiting another 15 minutes for a fresh tank.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Unnamed Mercenary - 01-12-2015

(01-12-2015, 05:36 PM)Melkire Wrote:
(01-12-2015, 05:26 PM)Nako Wrote: However, please for the love of god tell me that you agree with healers before you start whether or not to do a speedrun?

If it's not an Expert Roulette dungeon (read: the latest three to be released), I ask. Maybe I'm in Low Level and the healer is new. Maybe they rolled a new dungeon and this is their first time in ______ (my favorite is Pharos, ewwwwww). I DEFINITELY ask for Brayflox HM river pull, since with the right party composition you can save a lot of time but with a subpar healer you can wipe hard; I never ask for mass-pulling the goblin gliders, I just inform the healer of what to expect, then charge in balls-to-the-wall with Bloodbath+Vengeance.

If we're in an Expert Roulette dungeon, odds are everyone is there to get their daily poetics bonus out of the way. They don't really want to be in there, running a dungeon for the umpteenth time. Most healers who queue for these are geared for them, as well, and are usually familiar enough with the content. So no, in these instances I don't ask, I just give the healer enough time to Stoneskin and Protect, and then we're off to long-pulling. If we wipe on a long pull, upon return I default to pulling one pack at a time.

tl;dr: if I'm in there for Expert bonus, you're likely in there for Expert bonus, and if this ain't the first week or two of new dungeons, then we've both most likely been here before, so you know what's coming, and you probably don't want to be here, so brothers and sisters I am speedrunning this bitch until we wipe.

...I'm guilty ofpre-judging the group when I queue as a tank. If the healer has anything less than 5k HP in a current expert, they don't get speedrun. Same for if I don't see a party make-up that works well for big pulls. ...nobody appreciates a double MNK speedrun. There is no such thing in a PUG. 

And if a DPS decides to pull ahead, they can tank their mobs. I've not going to fight for enmity if they've decided I'm too slow. I'd rather take an extra 2-3 minutes and not have to wipe and run back repeatedly. 

As a healer? Come at me bro. I'd like to see them die unless the DPS can't do their part.