Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - FreelanceWizard - 01-12-2015

(01-12-2015, 05:36 PM)Melkire Wrote: If we're in an Expert Roulette dungeon, odds are everyone is there to get their daily poetics bonus out of the way. They don't really want to be in there, running a dungeon for the umpteenth time.

I think this sums up the design problem with the current grindy tomestone system. I like the concept of tomestones -- buy what you want or need! don't be subject to the whims of the RNG! -- but having to do the same 3 dungeons over and over again for 2 weeks to get a chest piece is enough to make anyone grumpy. Sad

However, we play the game we have, not the game we might want. Tongue

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Telluride - 01-12-2015

(01-12-2015, 06:40 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote:
(01-12-2015, 05:36 PM)Melkire Wrote: If we're in an Expert Roulette dungeon, odds are everyone is there to get their daily poetics bonus out of the way. They don't really want to be in there, running a dungeon for the umpteenth time.

I think this sums up the design problem with the current grindy tomestone system. I like the concept of tomestones -- buy what you want or need! don't be subject to the whims of the RNG! -- but having to do the same 3 dungeons over and over again for 2 weeks to get a chest piece is enough to make anyone grumpy. Sad

Luckily, more dungeons will equal a little less boredom. However, I also continue to blame SE for the number of really lame treasure drops in these three dungeons. Again. I'd be more excited about fighting Fenrir if I thought I'd be likely to get something besides Raziqsand. Again. The ilvl90 stuff is perfectly fine, but with only two per dungeon, if they'd throw in at least the occasional ilvl100 item for the big boss battle, maybe we'd spam ST a little less, too.

Still beats Wildstar's loot tables, though. The first low level dungeon in Wildstar - yes, the first level 20 actual dungeon - is harder than ANY dungeon in FFXIV. Any, yes, Any. And with loot drops ten times crappier even for the level. It makes Aurum Vale look like a picnic. Just putting in some perspective, there.

Or, at least let us exchange the items in the Duty's loot tables for a few more Tomestones - not GC seals, tomestones. Acknowledge the system you yourself made, SE!

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Melkire - 01-12-2015

(01-12-2015, 06:46 PM)Telluride Wrote:
(01-12-2015, 06:40 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote:

Luckily, more dungeons will equal a little less boredom.  However, I also continue to blame SE for the number of really lame treasure drops in these three dungeons. Again. I'd be more excited about fighting Fenrir if I thought I'd be likely to get something besides Raziqsand. Again. The ilvl90 stuff is perfectly fine, but with only two per dungeon, if they'd throw in at least the occasional ilvl100 item for the big boss battle, maybe we'd spam ST a little less, too.

The trouble with the new dungeons is that the gear they drop is ALWAYS outdated UPON RELEASE, meaning that unless you're a new player, or you're gearing out a new class, the only reason to be running the new dungeons on a daily basis is for the tomestones.

Any last words? What do you want on your tombstone?

Veteran players don't need the i90 tokens for anything other than glamour, after all.

Crystal Tower raids have a similar problem: their gear is always outdated. Hence, it's fairly obvious that Square's intention is that 4-man and 24-man drops serve as bootstraps to catch you up in item level, while coil drops and tomestone purchases serve as the latest and greatest.

I don't agree with their setup, but that's the way it is.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Jana - 01-12-2015

(01-12-2015, 03:41 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: Here's my vent for the day:

Being 1400 soldiery away from Zodiac weapon and you're farming Prae, Chimera, and Hydra for soldiery bonus AND THERE ARE NO NEW PEOPLE?!?! WUT! COME ON SE. Gimme a "New People Need Help Roulette" Plz. TY.

HEARKEN UNTO ME NUBLETS AND SCRUBLETS OF THE WORLD AND GIVE ME THYNE SOLDIERY BONUS!

The best for free soldiery are HM Mog/Levi/Ramuh/Shiva (when she doesn't have lights). My FC also runs new 50s through first Coil for lots of bonus Soldiery.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Nebbs - 01-13-2015

So much all of the above posts about about people not doing their role, not even trying and being rude also.

The answer is to join one of the RP pve link shells, and work in there with each other. 

Worst case is you may still end up solo DFing, but often you do get some help. Just ask, give it five mins for responces.

The other thing I do is try to tank or heal, so at least one of the critical roes gets done right.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Melodia - 01-13-2015

(01-12-2015, 04:48 PM)Sounsyy Wrote:
(01-12-2015, 03:58 PM)Melodia Wrote: *Drags Sounsyy off for....the soldiery bonus. Yes....the soldiery bonus.*AngelWink

Oh my! Is it um... Melodia's first time? If that's the case, I won't speed run it. /nod
*giggles*

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 01-13-2015

Expert dungeons loot table grumble meter.

Antique - GRUMBLE GRUMBLE USELESS
i90 Jewelry - Grumble I can at least desynth you
Crafting material - YESSSSSSSSSSSS STOCKPILE THIS SHIT.

So yeah drop more crafting mats pls

Also.

* has all of the sold bonuses for EXes and Coil except T1
* good chance none of you'll ever see them because nobody wants a noob tank there

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Warren Castille - 01-14-2015

If you die at the end of a boss fight, don't wait for raise. Just eat the homepoint and then take the shortcut.

Doubly so if you die because you don't move out of avoidable things.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 01-14-2015

Tanks. If you want big pulls it's totes fine.

but seriously, check if your main AoE DD is ACTUALLY DOING SOMETHING.

If you got a BLM and a NIN don't do big pulls when the BLM can't do a good AoE rotation or just doesn't cast at all for 30sec+ periods of time.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 01-14-2015

Just a grumbly-warning from an irate healer here.

If you want to make big pulls on mobs, PLEASE try to establish aggro on things as you move on. Circle of Scorn, an Overpower or two, drop SOMETHING besides just a single Flash and then running on. I'd like to heal you, but becomes difficult when suddenly half the moving pack decides I'm REAL interesting now and now I have to heal myself AND you while you're still moving full tilt into the next pack.

And as an addendum on this, if there's something stuck on me. STAYS stuck on me, and the only reason you finally bother to pull it off me and DEAL with it is because the door won't open until it's dead? AND then get smarmy with me when I ask if they're going to grab the dude hitting me while they're running for the still-closed door?

... I'm suddenly going to REALLY prioritize healing myself the next time it happens. Even at the cost of everyone dying. Especially when that next time is the next big pull where you use a single Flash again as your aggro grab and then let both bats beat on me while you play ring-around-the-spike-trap.

Also having a Hard Gay reference in your Provoke macro is dumb. Especially when you have it as "Wooooooh!" instead of "Fuuuuuuuuu~". And triply so if you're a terrible tank.

Also, thank you tunneling DPS that didn't notice the mobs hitting me either and not at least trying to pull them off. I'm a healer. I'll heal you, especially if you're saving my bacon. I can't (and most likely won't) heal you when I have to heal myself to keep from dying.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Warren Castille - 01-14-2015

Ooh! Ooh! I had a party last night with a WHM that had a dozen-line benediction macro. Not a lie, it drew an ASCII cat and had a dozen sound effects crammed in at the end, complete with "I JUST SAVED YOUR ASS WITH {Benediction}!"

I got a fucking ear-and-eyeful of it because the healer would much rather stay in Cleric's and holy bomb, opting to only heal me with Bene before dying. Of course, animation lock, so if it didn't fire they'd just mash the button. THAT was real great during the second boss of Qarn HM, as my log became row after row of chat spam complete with overlapping sound effects AND the implication they "saved" me instead of doing their god damned job.

Hey, healers. I get it. DPS is a thing. I appreciate you for it! But don't act like you're saving anyone by not healing at all and then did me a favor by using Benediction after I've hit Invincible because holy shit, I dropped below 2k health without a single cure.

RARGH MY LIFE IS SO HARD

^ Pretty much.

Also your desire to dress up as a ton berry explains sch. (Jk)

Seriously if you are making big pulls. Tell me where you are using hallowed so I don't think I need to figure out if healing you will be better than making sure mobs won't gang me.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 01-14-2015

(01-14-2015, 09:52 AM)Kage Wrote: Seriously if you are making big pulls. Tell me where you are using hallowed so I don't think I need to figure out if healing you will be better than making sure mobs won't gang me.

I think some PLD tanks forget Hallowed is a thing.

I mean, I LOVE using it in for the big pulls. Yes, it's a panic button, but it's also nice to use some light defensive buffs before and during the pulling, and then popping Hallowed as everyone comes together so you can safely generate aggro with Flash spam and Scorn and whatnot while the healer catches up, tops you off, and gets situated for when the buff drops.

... At least, that's what I like to think they're doing. Sad

(Also Tonberries are adorbs and I will fite u irl if you say otherwise. Tongue )

I have nothing against Tonberries. I luv dems too okies

Seriously if a tank does not use hallowed at least in one big pull in the dungeon I won't commend.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Sounsyy - 01-14-2015

I don't understand PLDs who don't Hallowed on big pulls. I mean... honestly? What better time to use it? It's not like you're saving it for the boss or anything. Pop it cuz you're actually in danger for once.

Anyways, frustrating tank moment for me yesterday when I was doing my Daily Expert. So, I finished my Zodiac weapon (weeee!) and honestly, I never want to go into any dungeon again until 2.5, but I have to cuz Poetics. So I'm in Snowcloak for poetics and it's myself on WAR, 2x BLM both 5k hp+, one of which is wearing Dreadwyrm gear, and a WHM with about 4.5k HP. Sure, a little low, but I figure hey, with two BLMs, big pulls will be pretty easy.

Note: I don't really trust DF groups, so I never open with a big big pull until I'm sure my party can handle it.

So I pull up to the spriggans in Snowcloak (5 mobs: 2 inex, 2 sprigs, 1 goobbue). Dreadwyrm BLM starts AoE nuking, other BLM starts sleepga'ing? Healer is spamming Cure 1. So before Dreadwyrm BLM can nuke everything down, I die, and I respawn in time enough to run back and save the rest of the party from dying from the 3 remaining mobs. Naturally, I die a second time. I respawn. Mkay...

So I pull the wolves next. (5 wolves) Again, Dreadwyrm BLM begins nuking, non Dreadwyrm BLM begins Sleepga'ing. Healer is IDK. A combination of Bloodbath, Inner Beast spamming, and Holmgang saves my life this round.

Next set was fine. Boss went fine. I go for the three snow goobbues. Die horribly at the goobbues... (which I don't even think is a big pull? Don't people normally pull all three goobbues there?) Anyways, Dreadwyrm BLM is telling non-Dreadwyrm BLM what his rotation should be (which does not include Sleepga) and I proceed to examine WHM. I don't normally examine people in dungeons cuz I still have that residual FFXI mindset of "So and So examines you" is invasive and rude. Come to find this WHM is wearing a mix of AF1 and soldiery on the left side and an odd assortment of soldiery accessories on the right. By odd assortment I mean: Evenstar Choker, Auroral Earrings, Gloam Bracelet, Daystar Ring, Gloam Ring. Weathered, of course.

Much to my relief the WHM logged off right there before anyone could say anything. And was replaced with a WHM with mix of HA and IW gear. So I go ahead and pull up to the bird. (6 mobs: 1 bird, 5 ice elementals) Using Vengeance, Thrill of Battle, Awareness, Featherfoot, Holmgang, and spamming Inner Beast like my life depended on it (it did), the WHM still let me die.

Long story short, I didn't pull anything over 1-3 mobs the rest of the dungeon...