Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Nebbs - 01-18-2015

(01-18-2015, 03:16 PM)Kage Wrote: Honestly the i110 isn't going to help too much except keeping the FCOB diehards and the Poetics diehards from being ass-wreckers. i110 still makes things so trivial and all it does is sync the people doing even just WoD down by 10 ilvls.

The best way imo is getting with DPS that aren't stupid.

You let the PLD FoF lob and combo before you use all your damage CDs. That's only if you're similarly geared. If your PLD is not 7k+ hp or your Defiance'd WAR is not 9k+ hp then you should think "OH THIS TANK IS NEW OR GEARING" and you should wait for a FULL FUCKING COMBO.

Don't fucking blow all your shit when he's only thrown one axe/shield.

Dumbasses.

Wait for 5 sunders!

Seriously yes, help your tank by:
  • Don't put heal over time on the tank before the pull
  • Wait for the tank to finish the pull, some of the longer ones involve running
  • Waiting for him to establish aggro
  • Then watch your aggro, you can back off or switch targets
  • If you get aggro.. go to the tank, he will have a better chance to get it off you and not loose aggro on other mobs while doing so
But nobody is perfect, so also allow for your tank to just be okay.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 01-18-2015

Sometimes you just have to heal the tank because the tank is stupid and does long pulls and he's dying with no cds and he isn't telling you if he's using hallowed. -_-

Tanks should also be aware seriously. If you pull more than 3 mobs I expect you to want me to aoe. If you can't grab aoe don't jfc I don't like paying for your dumbass waste to my repairs.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Sounsyy - 01-18-2015

I, for one, am very glad I got my Zodiac done before they reinstated the IL 110 restriction on hardmode dungeons. @_@ Sure, it only would've dropped me 7 item levels cuz FCOB refuses to drop tank gear of any variety, but still an HP and DPS loss for me.

Speaking of. An alternative to managing your hate problems is to start gearing your WAR towards STR. I promise you'll see a vast improvement in hate management both on single and AoE targets. That said, you may want to be a little closer to IL90 before you start doing this, just so you have a solid HP base for your healers. But post-I90, you'll find your HP starts getting more and more excessive and STR will more noticeably improve your tanking efforts in parties with trigger-happy DPS or healers.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 01-18-2015

STR helps because as you probably know the more damage you deal, the more hate generated. Of course, you do need your enmity generators but the general thing is the more damage you deal the more hate you get.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 01-19-2015

TIL that I really need to find out what is going to be in the patch ( ACCESSORIES?) because I don't have the HP to survive in T13.

OMFG T_T

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Tyndles - 01-19-2015

I'm bad.  I know I'm bad.  But I'm bad because I'm kinda new.  So let me share a story with you.

I haven't played in a year, mostly because my FC stopped doing stuff so I wandered to other games.  But I heard about the Ninja job and thought it sounded like fun, so I came back two weeks ago to try it out.  I level to 50 in about a week, and start reading guides for each new dungeon I've never done before so I'm at least FAMILIAR with the mechanics.  I don't expect to do wonderfully, because being in the fight is different than reading/watching it, and most people speed run this stuff anyway, so how bad could it be?

My first time in the Hard Mode Tam-Tara, I tell everyone I'm new, and the Black Mage and the White Mage are like, "yay bonus tomes!"  The tank, a Paladin, was a big turd and was just very surly "oh great"

Massive pulls and stuff.  I don't really know what to do in massive pulls as a ninja other than spam death blossom and use my group ninja maneuvers every 20 seconds.  The BLM had crazy gear and was obviously doing the most work, so the tank grumbles a "contribute, jojo or we kick".  Which got a "O.o" from the healer.

The WHM explains each boss, and I think I do okay.  I keep my DoTs up, I use my debuff so its always up, when Sneak Attack is off cooldown I do that crazy water splashie move, and I keep my haste buff up.

"lol what a noob" from the tank and we continue. 

Then I die on the second boss, because those AoE tracks everywhere are crazy, but I get rezzed, boss dies, everyones happy.

"Im not pulling anymore until we kick the nin."

The seemingly cool WHM and BLM agree and I get kicked.

Some people are turds.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - FreelanceWizard - 01-19-2015

(01-19-2015, 10:33 PM)Tyndles Wrote: "Im not pulling anymore until we kick the nin."

My response to that is...

"Hey, NIN, feel like tanking? Since I think our tank is about to leave." Wink

Shit tank.

Also, in 4 person party only one other person needs to agree. My bet's on the BLM thinking "we're doing all these big pulls and that means it's all on me."

Shit tank for pulling so much still.

I don't know anything about NIN but from what I can tell it's not got a lot of aoe so wtf are you supposed to do?

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Reshie - 01-19-2015

I've really not had much to vent about overall but something here recently has frustrated the heck out of me. I decided I needed an alt, one that would be different from what I have. The alts I have are not bad but they're not sparking. I have reasons to keep them though so fantasia/name change is out of the question even if I had the money to do so. I wanted this new alt for that spark... and can't get it on the server. I've tried for three weeks and the only two days the server opened are the two days I've had to be out and away from the computer. My frustration is massive right now...

*vent off* 

I hope ya'll have had a wonderful day! *hugs*

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 01-19-2015

They have a couple jutsus that help with AoE... the slowing ground thing and the AoE fire breath, but that's about it, really. Otherwise all you can really do is either spam Blossom or just tab around and try and get your two dots up on everything.

I'm still kinda finangling my way through playing Ninja, really, so I'm not really the best person to talk about it. Still, new to the dungeon, playing a relatively new class, some slack should be given.

I had myself a REAL dumb tank earlier today, though. Leveling BRD and queued for a Low-Level Roulette and got Copperbell - GLD, WHM, ROG. Sure, no problem.

First pull, I notice the GLD isn't using Flash. So the other two mobs immediately start hitting the WHM since he's not doing anything to generate enmity on them. I shoot at them to grab some aggro and we finish it up no problems.

We take the elevator down, he just sort of... stands there for a good two to three minutes until I get frustrated and move forward to pull the little pack of two myself. Tank waddles after and starts solo-hitting one of them, again not putting any effort into the other mob.

It... kinda keeps happening like this. We ask him to use Flash, including using (Flash) (Please use this.) in case he can't understand English. Continues to say nothing, continues to solo-attack things. Continues to have these minute long or longer pauses before every pull unless I grab it first, which gets the Rogue to whining "Let him tank, he has to learn how!" Despite the GLD apparently being synced down along with myself and the WHM.

We get to the second boss and I jokingly comment "Taking bets on how badly he does on this one." Sure enough, he kills the first bomb and then spends the rest of the fight standing around while the WHM and then I take up the mantle of tanking in his stead.

At that point I basically had enough and told the group I was going to votekick the guy since we're basically doing his job for him. Rogue's all "Nooooo" about it, but the GLD gets booted and replaced by another GLD who is quite new, but both attentive and talkative. The Rogue who was so eager to let the previous GLD fail his wait through before is suddenly right along with me and the WHM when we jokingly tell the new tank how bad our last tank was.

Not sure if the guy was a bot, a bad troll, or just really stupid.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Merri - 01-19-2015

(01-19-2015, 12:05 PM)Kage Wrote: TIL that I really need to find out what is going to be in the patch ( ACCESSORIES?) because I don't have the HP to survive in T13.

OMFG T_T

Tank accessories! \o/ Even one is usually more than enough.

I wore my dreadwyrm fending wrist on my first T13 clear so I had enough HP going in on Ninja. Granted, it put me way over what I needed. Think I was at almost 7k, which was a good 500 HP over what's considered a good cushion. Four star food also helps, though it'l drain your wallet real fast if you don't make it yourself.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 01-19-2015

Pre-emptive vent as I have ten bucks on a group raging at me for not knowing the mechanics of the dungeons coming out in the patch that hits tomorrow.

(01-19-2015, 11:14 PM)Merri Wrote:
(01-19-2015, 12:05 PM)Kage Wrote: TIL that I really need to find out what is going to be in the patch ( ACCESSORIES?) because I don't have the HP to survive in T13.

OMFG T_T

Tank accessories! \o/ Even one is usually more than enough.

I wore my dreadwyrm fending wrist on my first T13 clear so I had enough HP going in on Ninja. Granted, it put me way over what I needed. Think I was at almost 7k, which was a good 500 HP over what's considered a good cushion. Four star food also helps, though it'l drain your wallet real fast if you don't make it yourself.
BLM main and I started to heal a lot more than I tank though I haven't started to throw poetics at off classes. You think an ironworks fending ring will work or HA/Soldiery?

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Merri - 01-20-2015

(01-19-2015, 11:59 PM)Kage Wrote: BLM main and I started to heal a lot more than I tank though I haven't started to throw poetics at off classes. You think an ironworks fending ring will work or HA/Soldiery?

I imagine a single soldiery fending accessory will suffice on top of 2/3/4 star food. I know melee should aim for around 6500 due to our lower magic defense. I think BLM generally guns for around 6100. Some bad RNG can still one shot you, but that ought to be solid outside of that. I forget what our BLM is at, but they have near full left side dreadwyrm at this point so it's moot to figure out.

You could also respec a few points of INT into VIT to cap out over 6100 until you get more left side dreadwyrm if need be. At this point in gearing, the DPS checks in T13 aren't as bad as they used to be, so losing some INT here and there shouldn't hurt your group too badly so long as everyone else is equally geared and pulling their weight. :>

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Steel Wolf - 01-20-2015

(01-19-2015, 11:54 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote: Pre-emptive vent as I have ten bucks on a group raging at me for not knowing the mechanics of the dungeons coming out in the patch that hits tomorrow.

Nah, you're fine on that for at least a week.

Unless you're a tanker. Then you've got three or four days, max, to be an expert at all the contents ever. XD