Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Warren Castille - 01-20-2015

I won't quote your post in case you do delete it, but I hope you won't.

Unfortunately, when we get together in public places, the illusion of safety regarding emotional boundaries all but vanishes. The best we can do is find people who mesh with our beliefs and hope we don't have to put up with nonsense from folks who agitate us.

That word is unfortunately pretty stuck in our lexicon thanks to anonymous online gaming and general insensitivity of the reality of the term. Despite that, I can't exactly say something akin to "try a thicker skin" because of the horrific action attached to the definition.

To put all that fanciful qualifying and eggshell-walking in layman's terms...

Assholes ruin everything.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 01-20-2015

It's not just assholes though.

I've people that I routinely would call great friends and great people in general.

They toss that word in most situations without regard to, y'know, anyone else.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Warren Castille - 01-20-2015

Major derail:

Well, yes. The definition of the word is lost on the current usage. Similar to a certain completely-unkind F-word referring to sexuality, the people using it most often aren't using it in the "correct" sense of the definition. It's a synonym to mean dumb, or stupid, or bad, or useless, or something. It's offensive, sure, but sexuality doesn't enter the picture.

Similarly, in the usage of PVP or, most commonly, online shooters, the word just means "destroyed effortlessly" or something similar. The actual act isn't referenced, or even intended. It's just an offensive word the yokels grabbed on to to throw around and inflame. It's crass, but it's effective.

I'm a firm believer that words can change their definition over time, and popular use, regardless of intention or benevolence, will usher in those changes. There's a certain C-word that's popular overseas that's outrageously offensive that I throw around in familiar company, but I try not to do it in public places where I might upset someone.

That said, if someone IS bothered by these sorts of usages, I do think that we as people could try to not be so crass. That being said about that being said, I also don't believe in censoring myself to insulate myself from offending people looking to be offended. That doesn't seem to be the case in this case, but it never hurts to be slightly more considerate.

You will never catch me proclaiming that I'm r-ing f's online. You will catch me calling them c's behind their backs, though.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Melkire - 01-20-2015

I know this doesn't excuse or justify anything, but technically that word has its etymological roots in seizing or devaluing. Online video game communities use it interchangeably with "wrecked (rekt)", "pwnd", and other various slang terms that ultimately amount to short-hand for, "I triumphed over you so thoroughly that you should feel demoralized."

I've been plenty guilty of throwing -that- word around nonchalantly in the past, back when I didn't much care for how others might take it. Been gradually phasing it out of my own vocabulary and using the aforementioned alternatives instead.

tl;dr: it's a case of differing social values from one individual to another, namely how much weight and import we give to what other people say.

EDIT: Warren quit ninja'ing me, you're a PLD, you're supposed to be slow.

JUSTICE CAN NEVER WAIT
JUSTICE DOESN'T OBEY POSTED SPEED LIMITS

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 01-20-2015

Balmung, please stop shitting the bed, I've a goddamn ping of 25 here.

Queue's up to 593. Yo ullll

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Steel Wolf - 01-21-2015

So I owe Kellach a $20.

First-ever blind run of WoD. Cerberus fight. Doesn't go terribly smoothly. We're having a few coordination problems with regards to chaining him and getting the adds pulled away from people and those being eaten. First remark from someone in the alliance:

"Google is hard."

Over the course of three failures one of the DPS ragequit (which was easily replaced because DPS = dime a dozen), but mercifully we were able to talk down the whiners and got the damn thing done.

...and all I got was some tomes and personal experience for the next runs. Ah well. XD

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 01-21-2015

Keeper's fun to learn and keeps you on your toes, though not spotting a critical add on that last boss? Party wipe.

I'm not touching WoD until people actually understand the mechanics and can explain them. Disappointing 3 people? I can deal. 23? Not so much.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Chika Ito - 01-21-2015

People that cannot understand that wiping is apart of progression, and cannot be chill with it, is a pet peeve. Especially those that take up an elitist attitude with new content that was just released less than twenty-four hours ago. I was in WoD, and there was this one person that kept spamming 'vote abandon' because there were a few wipes. All because guess what it is new content! Don't do new content if you're just going to rage about people learning and progressing. K thanks

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Steel Wolf - 01-21-2015

(01-21-2015, 12:38 AM)Kellach Woods Wrote: Keeper's fun to learn and keeps you on your toes, though not spotting a critical add on that last boss? Party wipe.

I'm not touching WoD until people actually understand the mechanics and can explain them. Disappointing 3 people? I can deal. 23? Not so much.

The mechanics of WoD are challening--and in my personal opinion fun. But none of that will matter if people are annoyed that you didn't think that Google would have strats updated the second this stuff is release.

And ultimately it was all bluster and no weight, as we got the win, and I got some excellent learning in for the next times I run this bad boy.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Atoli - 01-21-2015

(01-21-2015, 12:55 AM)Chika Ito Wrote: People that cannot understand that wiping is apart of progression, and cannot be chill with it, is a pet peeve. Especially those that take up an elitist attitude with new content that was just released less than twenty-four hours ago. I was in WoD, and there was this one person that kept spamming 'vote abandon' because there were a few wipes. All because guess what it is new content! Don't do new content if you're just going to rage about people learning and progressing. K thanks

Augh, yes, this. And just generally abandoning ANYTHING after a single wipe. Goodness, if they're that impatient and willing to throw everything away at everyone else's expense, leave! With that attitude they deserve the half hour wait time afterwards.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Nebbs - 01-21-2015

Don't stand in the fire!

It's a basic of just about every fight, un every game.

For the first time in a long time I left a party (as Tank) because the healer kept standing in fire, they also were always in cleric stance and never stoneskined anyone. 4 wipes on Copperbell HM 1st Boss, the rest of the party managed to understand by try 3 to kill the flamebombe but the healer.. omg. Also it was 15mins to maintenance.

Hi, I'm Nebula and I bailed on a party.. I need help.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 01-21-2015

I'd write a rain check on everything bad that happened last night - the servers were hammered. My Keeper run had a BLM that kept standing in fire because he was lagging bad and both him and the healer suffered a massive disconnect earlier in the fight.

It's annoying, SE runs this game on toasters but that's a known factor. Patch day on dodgy gear will be hell for some people.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Melodia - 01-21-2015

Best moment last night and one of my vents:

First day patch is released. New dungeons and raid. Wheee! Let's go to World of Darkness since I just unlocked it. Tell the party...have to make sure they know.... "Hey all, brand new here."

Ninja: "Wait so we're going in blind?"

Me as tank: "Yeah....just unlocked it."

Ninja/Healer/Bard: "Ugh..."

Later after the alliance has wiped a few times times: Healer and Ninja quit.

IT'S THE FIRST DAMN DAY PEOPLE!!! Seriously....like I'm expected to know the &^$%ing mechanics and fights 100% on day one, hour one for me since I just got off work prior and people are giving me the feeling like "Why didn't you watch a video or read some stuff noob?!" act?

*Insert middle finger to those types here*

Honestly I might do a WoD run tonight.

I see that shit in my alliance I will immediately say "Yo you want a group that's got experience get the fuck out of Duty Finder and make your own goddamn group. Should be easy right I'm sure you've got a lot of friends with that wonderful personality you've got there champ."