Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 01-27-2015

Can confirm. A level synced monk waiting for GLA to hit Sastasha boss or Tam-Tara boss... will rip hate off even without using Internal Release...

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Melkire - 01-28-2015

(01-27-2015, 01:15 PM)Kage Wrote: Can confirm. A level synced monk waiting for GLA to hit Sastasha boss or Tam-Tara boss... will rip hate off even without using Internal Release...

There is nothing quite like taking a level-synced i115 monk into Sastasha Normal, Copperbell Normal, or Tam-Tara Normal and proceeding to ruin the tank's day.

Tip for new tanks: if you're leveling and you get synced with a stupidly over-geared monk, start playing spin-the-dragon with everything so that we're not guaranteed our from-behind crit on Bootshine. Granted, a good monk will still be able to get the positioning and timing down, but it'll improve your odds of holding onto the mobs longer.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 01-28-2015

Why would you do that ; ;

Aka yes I did spin around with the mobs, still got agro.

The worst part is when I do this because they don't use hate generating combos. Like, RIOT BLADE. >_<

(01-28-2015, 07:06 PM)Kage Wrote: Why would you do that ; ;

Aka yes I did spin around with the mobs, still got agro.

The worst part is when I do this because they don't use hate generating combos. Like, RIOT BLADE. >_<

Now I'm confused, were you the monk or the tank? Dazed

No fresh tank is going to be able to hold aggro versus a level-synced 50 who really, really wants to peel the mobs off the tank. Putting aside the fact that cross-class skills allow you to take offensive CDs at earlier levels than you should have them at, level-syncing doesn't quite address the issue of i50+ DPS having 2 to 3 more secondary stats on their gear than the new tank does.

If a level-synced DPS or a healer wants aggro, the only real recourse for the tank, sadly, is to let them have it.

P.S. Because I love tormenting my FC mates.

I'm the level 36 monk whose only buff is fist of earth. AND stacks...

And not hitting things until about three gcds after pull.

I won't rant about the mrd who face pulled after I mentioned that he could use tomahawk and then when every enemy is in front of him overpower. Instead he just keeps face pulling walking back a little and then dping single target. After trying to guide him several more times I realize why a dps left and couldn't stand 8th anymore when the only reason I stayed was because I mistakenly queued into low level instead of the guiLF hest and all three others were new so I wanted to help but... not at the cost of my admittedly somewhat low amount of patience.

Oops ranted.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 01-28-2015

I've personally had no problems keeping aggro unless I stop Flashing in between combos.

But then again my threat gen is stupid high from the fact that I always have top-notch gear due to crafting on-par gear at every level so yeh.

Damage buff from Greased Lightning is underrated. Likely because it's not as noticeable or perceptible as, say, consistently large criticals from DRGs popping all their CDs together. Wait 'til you hit 40 and gain access to GLIII. But yeah, that sounds like a tank problem, not a level-sync issue, especially seeing as how the person in question was playing WAR.

When new and in doubt, spam Overpower 'til you run out of TP and either cry to the BRD/NIN for more or else cry because you realized too late that you have no BRD/NIN in the party.

Minor rant: Been playing Destiny since my computer gave out on me. The game amounts to little more than "shoot aliens 'til they die". F***ing boring. Missing XIV's PvE so much right now. RP even more so.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 01-28-2015

Berserk into Overpower will take care of most situations, Flash twice when debuff occurs, then Overpower more.

If you're going for overkill, throw Infuriate->Unchained into the mix. :\

Those aren't really applicable since it's level 50 so not exactly levelling content. IIRC you get Berserk earlier.

It's easy to tank low levels even with level synced players. The issue is knowing the tanking limits you're under or just... plain knowing how to hold threat which is... something not all know about or care about (aka tanks who just decide they only need 1 and leave the others to deal with them).

Or you may have the very overzealous DPS. But honestly... I'm letting them get GCDs off! LOTS OF THEM T_T I just stand there awkwardly..

Y'know those lulls in the game that you don't feel like doing anything.

I got one of those last night. They're pretty boring.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Soalean Monterey - 01-28-2015

On the ranting about tanks/tanking

I got into a group for King Moggle Mog EX a week or two ago, and we had a Warrior tank. Group goes in, and we wipe before we get the first Moggle-Mog raise done. We ask the tank if he can provoke to do the tankswap.

Warrior Tank: "I don't have provoke."

I was so done.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 01-29-2015

Reading this

Re: Does a healer need Swiftcast?

Quote:So, I am the healer-mate he is talking about. The whole point here is that I want to spend my game time raising my ilvl gear and doing what I enjoy the most (i'm ilvl 113 and not yet even started t1 of coil of bahamut ). My tank mate would like for me to use my game time raising my THM level, a thing that I find quite boring even if its only a couple of hours and of a lower priority than enjoying poetics farming for better gear, and he used a generalized confirmation of the importance of swiftcast expressed by you redditors to motivate his reasons for me to go get swiftcast instead of raising my ilvl. I understand the swiftcast-is-important argument in general, but nonetheless I defend my right to spend my game time doing whatever I enjoy the most, and will continue to do so above the opinion of the whole of reddit if needed. Me, and only me, will choose the right time for me to go get swiftcast. I'm sure you are smart enough to get my point.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Warren Castille - 01-29-2015

(01-29-2015, 01:50 PM)Kage Wrote: Reading this

Re: Does a healer need Swiftcast?

Quote:So, I am the healer-mate he is talking about. The whole point here is that I want to spend my game time raising my ilvl gear and doing what I enjoy the most (i'm ilvl 113 and not yet even started t1 of coil of bahamut ). My tank mate would like for me to use my game time raising my THM level, a thing that I find quite boring even if its only a couple of hours and of a lower priority than enjoying poetics farming for better gear, and he used a generalized confirmation of the importance of swiftcast expressed by you redditors to motivate his reasons for me to go get swiftcast instead of raising my ilvl. I understand the swiftcast-is-important argument in general, but nonetheless I defend my right to spend my game time doing whatever I enjoy the most, and will continue to do so above the opinion of the whole of reddit if needed. Me, and only me, will choose the right time for me to go get swiftcast. I'm sure you are smart enough to get my point.

I'm flashing back to FFXI and the "It's my 12.95" defense when people had the wrong/unleveled/missing subjob.

His reasoning isn't incorrect - time is a precious commodity. However, when he's prioritizing HIS free time over three-to-twenty-three other people's free time, he's just being selfish. It's his 12.95, but he's wasting all of our 38.85, or our 297.85.

I could say a lot worse, so let me stop here.