Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Caspar - 01-29-2015

I think it depends on encounter. Some battles MT is incredibly easy as you ignore most mechanics and just focus on staying alive. Other fights it has some illusory level of "prestige" because the player feels confident that it is harder and thus an indication of greater skill.

I don't really get that though. As a perpetual melee player, all I see is tanks arguing over aggro, turning the boss around and walking it from place to place, ruining my gcds and positionals.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 01-29-2015

(01-29-2015, 03:49 PM)Caspar Wrote: I think it depends on encounter. Some battles MT is incredibly easy as you ignore most mechanics and just focus on staying alive. Other fights it has some illusory level of "prestige" because the player feels confident that it is harder and thus an indication of greater skill.

I don't really get that though. As a perpetual melee player, all I see is tanks arguing over aggro, turning the boss around and walking it from place to place, ruining my gcds and positionals.

Most of that unnecessary movement is wrought from tanks feuding over who is top enmity dog, though. As I mentioned, I've had bosses ripped off me while I'm trying to position them because "NO ME I DO IT" and either they just tank them where they nabbed them until I take it back to put it into place...

... or they move them to where I was moving them anyway, and then I get aggro back just through my normal rotations. When I have the boss, I tend to try to keep that sucker still and only move if mechanics call for it (the Eye's two zones, any sort of AoE "DODGE THIS" effect). Not having a boss running around or spinning like a top is to everyone's benefit.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Steel Wolf - 01-29-2015

Being a Rawrior has helped me a great deal in just not giving a hot damn about being MT. 9 times out of 10 I'm OT or just disengage my enmity toggle entirely to CHOP BITCHES AND GET RICHES.

I'm totally cool with that.

There were a couple of times in the last WoD run where I had to MT Cerby as well as get eaten and then pick up the Cloud after the self-appointed MT got blasted...but I honestly could care less whether I'm mainline or not. As long as I'm helping out. <3

(01-29-2015, 03:52 PM)Gegenji Wrote:
(01-29-2015, 03:49 PM)Caspar Wrote: I think it depends on encounter. Some battles MT is incredibly easy as you ignore most mechanics and just focus on staying alive. Other fights it has some illusory level of "prestige" because the player feels confident that it is harder and thus an indication of greater skill.

Most of that unnecessary movement is wrought from tanks feuding over who is top enmity dog, though. As I mentioned, I've had bosses ripped off me while I'm trying to position them because "NO ME I DO IT" and either they just tank them where they nabbed them until I take it back to put it into place...

... or they move them to where I was moving them anyway, and then I get aggro back just through my normal rotations. When I have the boss, I tend to try to keep that sucker still and only move if mechanics call for it (the Eye's two zones, any sort of AoE "DODGE THIS" effect). Not having a boss running around or spinning like a top is to everyone's benefit.
Yeah, that's why the aggro fighting is so incredibly disruptive.

There used to be another effect, which was tanks not knowing how to tank with positionals or space to dodge close AoE in mind, from back when Bard was overpowered. Nowadays this is less common, but I still get tanks who aren't as aware of not turning the monster, or fighting over aggro because they figure it doesn't matter where its aoes are put or where its back is facing, because bards can go anywhere.

I might be bitter though. It was not easy getting into a party for primal clears back then on Hyp, not when you were monk.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Sounsyy - 01-29-2015

(01-29-2015, 04:06 PM)Caspar Wrote: I might be bitter though. It was not easy getting into a party for primal clears back then on Hyp, not when you were monk.

Still not honestly. /comfort Hyp PFs are like the worst.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Atoli - 01-29-2015

*Rubs face and sighs* I'll keep this short since I'm so groggy and tired.

First time I did Ultima's Weapon, we had a group with a tank who would do nothing but cuss out and freak out at the healers. That was pretty ridiculous. We ended up kicking him for harassment, but his little dragoon friend was still in the group so she trolled us all by train-pulling the boss so we died over and over again. After asking if she was his friend and she said "damn right bitches" we realised she actually responds when provoked so the third time we wiped we called her an angry neckbeard so she'd pause to retaliate and used the seconds given to kick her for harassment too. At the very end we ran out of time on the encounter and got forced out.

This time, we had two tanks who made a point of standing in Titan's meteor at the very beginning of the fight every single time. Also had three other dps who ate every single aoe that was thrown down. Two bards, neither of them could figure out how to put on their dots. We had to scream at them to with sound effects. They were always the first to die and finally we had ONE of them putting on his dots so we kicked the other as afk since he was standing in every single aoe never dotting... might've even been a bot, who knows, but he really wasn't listening to anyone or moving so much as a single inch. The healers also didn't prioritise the tanks, always trying to heal the dps who stood in bad... and then we found out that one of them didn't even have Swiftcast, so when they let the tanks die, there was nothing we could do... the one without Swiftcast got really angry when we pointed out she really needed it or she was making the other healer have to carry her slack when the tank died. We abandoned that sinking ship pretty quickly. T-T I don't know if I'll ever get a successful Ultima's Bane at this point, to be honest.

And then the third, just.... faaaaack, those pretty things on the ground are not for standing in! >:O

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Unnamed Mercenary - 01-29-2015

(01-29-2015, 05:07 PM)Atoline Wrote: *Rubs face and sighs* I'll keep this short since I'm so groggy and tired.

First time I did Ultima's Weapon, we had a group with a tank who would do nothing but cuss out and freak out at the healers. That was pretty ridiculous. We ended up kicking him for harassment, but his little dragoon friend was still in the group so she trolled us all by train-pulling the boss so we died over and over again. After asking if she was his friend and she said "damn right bitches" we realised she actually responds when provoked so the third time we wiped we called her an angry neckbeard so she'd pause to retaliate and used the seconds given to kick her for harassment too. At the very end we ran out of time on the encounter and got forced out.

This time, we had two tanks who made a point of standing in Titan's meteor at the very beginning of the fight every single time. Also had three other dps who ate every single aoe that was thrown down. Two bards, neither of them could figure out how to put on their dots. We had to scream at them to with sound effects. They were always the first to die and finally we had ONE of them putting on his dots so we kicked the other as afk since he was standing in every single aoe never dotting... might've even been a bot, who knows, but he really wasn't listening to anyone or moving so much as a single inch. The healers also didn't prioritise the tanks, always trying to heal the dps who stood in bad... and then we found out that one of them didn't even have Swiftcast, so when they let the tanks die, there was nothing we could do... the one without Swiftcast got really angry when we pointed out she really needed it or she was making the other healer have to carry her slack when the tank died. We abandoned that sinking ship pretty quickly. T-T I don't know if I'll ever get a successful Ultima's Bane at this point, to be honest.

And then the third, just.... faaaaack, those pretty things on the ground are not for standing in! >:O

Ultima Hard Mode? Let me help get it killed for you if you need it.

...if another group I was in could get tank swapping to work when one of the tanks didn't have provoke and win, anything is possible. If you're online anywhere around 4PM-9PM PST, poke me.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Aduu Avagnar - 01-29-2015

re: tank epeen I just dont bother, I find its just too much hassle and not worth it, so I just hang back and pick up adds. maybe do the manderville for a bit.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Melkire - 01-29-2015

Speaking of tank e-peen, had my first LotA/CT run since patch this past Saturday. Got to Bone Dragon. i130 tank pulls Bone Dragon to the very back of the room.

Wut.

Remaining tanks decided to fight over the skeletons as per usual, except very, very few of those skellies ended up where they were supposed to. In fact, many weren't even killed on a platform. I decided to quit trying to salvage the situation (read: endless AoE because pulling Bone Dragon to the back is a STUPIDLY INEFFICIENT WAY TO DO THIS FIGHT, YOU OVERGEARED MORONS) and sat on the middle platform in time to pick up and tank three of the ahriman adds.

Seriously. I don't give a shit that i130 is item level cap now. The most efficient way to do this fight is STILL to tank the Bone Dragon on the middle platform.

Idiots. I swear.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 01-29-2015

(01-29-2015, 03:55 PM)Steel Wolf Wrote: Being a Rawrior has helped me a great deal in just not giving a hot damn about being MT.  9 times out of 10 I'm OT or just disengage my enmity toggle entirely to CHOP BITCHES AND GET RICHES.

I'm totally cool with that.

I personally don't just in case the other tank goes down to his own stupidity (which in Syrcusmania, occurred way too damn often) so I need to build up threat enough that I can take over.

That being said I don't fight for threat either. I fight for the kill.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Ha'uruh Nunh - 01-29-2015

Did a Garuda light farm with a THM.

Level 50 THM.  Refused to do BLM at all.

1.0 this ain't, kiddo.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Atoli - 01-29-2015

(01-29-2015, 07:06 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: Ultima Hard Mode? Let me help get it killed for you if you need it.

...if another group I was in could get tank swapping to work when one of the tanks didn't have provoke and win, anything is possible. If you're online anywhere around 4PM-9PM PST, poke me.

Augh, very appreciated! Big Grin Unfortunately, I've just come home rather late tonight, but I have off all day tomorrow so I'll poke you then if you'd like! Thank you so much!

(01-29-2015, 07:48 PM)Melkire Wrote: Speaking of tank e-peen, had my first LotA/CT run since patch this past Saturday. Got to Bone Dragon. i130 tank pulls Bone Dragon to the very back of the room.

Wut.

Remaining tanks decided to fight over the skeletons as per usual, except very, very few of those skellies ended up where they were supposed to. In fact, many weren't even killed on a platform. I decided to quit trying to salvage the situation (read: endless AoE because pulling Bone Dragon to the back is a STUPIDLY INEFFICIENT WAY TO DO THIS FIGHT, YOU OVERGEARED MORONS) and sat on the middle platform in time to pick up and tank three of the ahriman adds.

Seriously. I don't give a shit that i130 is item level cap now. The most efficient way to do this fight is STILL to tank the Bone Dragon on the middle platform.

Idiots. I swear.

Yeah, the only reason they drag the dragon back now is because so many people ignore instructions, refuse to communicate and/or read, and then wipe the group because they kill the skeletons on the spot. :/ It says something really, really bad about most PUGs that they need to do that.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 01-29-2015

(01-29-2015, 07:48 PM)Melkire Wrote: Speaking of tank e-peen, had my first LotA/CT run since patch this past Saturday. Got to Bone Dragon. i130 tank pulls Bone Dragon to the very back of the room.

Wut.

Idiots. I swear.

Actually iirc other data centers tank the bone dragon on a far end and the skeletons were pulled to the opposite, the big aoe can be stunned or silenced i forgot. So it's easily dealt with. Iirc this was one of the differences between our data center and say JP data center strats.

(01-29-2015, 04:13 PM)Sounsyy Wrote:
(01-29-2015, 04:06 PM)Caspar Wrote: I might be bitter though. It was not easy getting into a party for primal clears back then on Hyp, not when you were monk.

Still not honestly. /comfort Hyp PFs are like the worst.
Yeah, I haven't PF for ages, lol. I've got enough connections by this point to never need to, but if I did I'm sure I would be exhausted by how difficult they can be.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 01-30-2015

So, uh, my ex is flabbergasted about how anyone could not have cleared T9 by now.

And I'm just sitting here like "uh... I haven't?"

Grumble grumble.