Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Edgar - 12-17-2014

People who are afraid to admit they're new.

Guys. If you don't know the instance, fucking tell me, especially if you're the Healer. I'm the Tank, you can rely on me to keep Karlabos distracted, but if you don't know about Tail Screw, or the poison-upon-poison-upon-poison, we're going to have a bad time.

And if you think you can ninja your ignorant self through the instance, you will quickly find, no, you can't. It's fairly obvious.

I'm not going to vilify you for being new in your run of the mill Roulette instance. That's not something either of us can control. It's much better that you admit your inexperience so that I can TEACH YOU and you'll be able to speedrun this seemingly difficult and complicated shit in the future.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Melkire - 12-17-2014

(12-17-2014, 08:16 PM)Edgar Wrote: seemingly difficult and complicated shit

omfg this.

ATTN: FFXIV COMMUNITY

Some of you like to pretend this game, outside of several coil turns, is hard.

PSA: it's not.

(12-17-2014, 08:19 PM)Melkire Wrote:

omfg this.

With all due respect, Melkire, I was referring to newbies that entire post. And for them, it can be very hard.

You should know, because the fact remains:

WE WERE ALL NOOBS ONCE.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 12-17-2014

Check out my sig. WTF is up with that drop rate, yo?

also this thread turned into a shithole pretty fast.

(12-17-2014, 08:16 PM)Edgar Wrote: I'm not going to vilify you for being new in your run of the mill Roulette instance. That's not something either of us can control. It's much better that you admit your inexperience so that I can TEACH YOU and you'll be able to speedrun this seemingly difficult and complicated shit in the future.

The other 95% of the game will just try and get rid of them or not explain shit. Welcome to MMOs. :/

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Melkire - 12-17-2014

(12-17-2014, 08:28 PM)Edgar Wrote:
(12-17-2014, 08:19 PM)Melkire Wrote:

omfg this.

With all due respect, Melkire, I was referring to newbies that entire post. And for them, it can be very hard.

You should know, because the fact remains:

WE WERE ALL NOOBS ONCE.

With all due respect, Edgar, I'm not saying that we shouldn't be friendly with newbies, or that we shouldn't be patient, or that we shouldn't help them, or that we shouldn't be understanding.

I'm asking for a modicum of common sense before people open their traps to say stupid things.

Maybe I should have written, "relative to many video games requiring certain levels of hand-eye coordination, communication, cooperation, and so forth, this game is simple enough to grasp, the learning curve mild enough to follow, and the tasks easy enough to execute that no one with a mild to moderate level of experience and history with gaming should find any cause to call the vast majority of this game's group content 'difficult', given a certain degree of attention and competency."

There. Is that politically correct and specific enough to be clear?

Queuing up for Stone Vigil Story Mode, dying to the first boss after being given a thorough explanation, and then claiming "lol this game is hard" as a defense when you've had forty levels to learn what's expected of you and acclimate yourself is about as ridiculous as claiming that J.K. Rowling's books are a "difficult read".

Hrm, touche'. Alright, I find myself nodding in agreement. Well played, Master Melkire.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 12-17-2014

I find myself reteaching people how to do quarter-circle-forwards at least once a year (think this year will be the first time I'll be paid for it, but that's another subject entirely). Shit's easy for me and a lot of other people. Not so for others.

WHAT IS EASY FOR YOU MAY BE HARD FOR SOMEONE ELSE TO LEARN (also this game requires that you understand the holy trinity because it does not explain that at all)

That is not a difficult concept.

Game decided to crash on boot again. (It wasn't the game, it was my own dumbass self's fault this time)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Devereau - 12-17-2014

(12-17-2014, 09:02 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote: I find myself reteaching people how to do quarter-circle-forwards at least once a year

Fighting games? Just curious.

(12-17-2014, 09:11 PM)Thaarus Wrote:
(12-17-2014, 09:02 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote: I find myself reteaching people how to do quarter-circle-forwards at least once a year

A-yup. We play over breaks and lunch at work, so any stragglers we have to teach from the ground up. (mostly USF4, except on Thursdays for Tekken Tag Thursdays)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Devereau - 12-17-2014

(12-17-2014, 09:20 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote:
(12-17-2014, 09:11 PM)Thaarus Wrote:

A-yup. We play over breaks and lunch at work, so any stragglers we have to teach from the ground up. (mostly USF4, except on Thursdays for Tekken Tag Thursdays)
That's pretty sick. Used to be pretty hard into the FGC scene pretty hard. Still have a lot of connections, even though I haven't been as diligent lately. Though, reckon I can message you about that. I shouldn't derail too too much. Pretty sweet though. Unless you play the inferior Mexican. Then maybe we should talk.

(12-17-2014, 09:23 PM)Thaarus Wrote: That's pretty sick. Used to be pretty hard into the FGC scene pretty hard. Still have a lot of connections, even though I haven't been as diligent lately. Though, reckon I can message you about that. I shouldn't derail too too much. Pretty sweet though. Unless you play the inferior Mexican. Then maybe we should talk.
I went through a character crisis in Ultra - First went to Poison, then T.Hawk, then Yun, then back to my main in 1.04 after trying him out aka the worst character in the game, DEE JAY.

Although I want to keep a pocket Hawk and Poison.

So, did Syrcus again - Someone failed at Imperium (they misplaced it so that they were the only one to take the hit so they died) so I'm like "Busy smashing this boss will explain later." They say 'k.

Then they get their loot and bail.

While I'm trying to type out an explanation that is succinct and explains every corner of that ability. Worst part is, this isn't the first time this happened when I was in a group (I do a lot of Syrcus... I mean a lot) and I'm like... WELP.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Aaron - 12-18-2014

NIN who seem surprised when I execute trick attack after suiton. 

"How did you do that without being hidden?"

Me: ". . . . . ."

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Y'shenn Tia - 12-18-2014

I was leveling my alt character, who isn't in a Free Company or Linkshell at the moment. DPS class. Waits over 30 minutes to get into the Bowl of Embers just to progress my story quest.

Seems like the others might be new too. Before the tank and other DPS even finish loading, healer says "Oh, I wanted a dungeon for my roulette. Good luck." And leaves.

15 minutes until we got another healer join in-progress. LOL. In the end it all worked out, but man...

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Miryn - 12-18-2014

Seriously, guys. Leave the Spiny alone. Marking it with the stop sign does not mean "kill this first".

Dps blowing their stuns for the extra damage on bosses that have moves I want to interrupt is my biggest pet peeve. Yes, even in Ifrit HM. I know most people overgear the content these days and eating an Eruption or two isn't so deadly anymore, but any time I try to Brutal Swing and nothing happens because someone else was triggering DR, I can feel the party's eyes on my back, going "lol what a shit offtank". It's not my fault. ; ;

When I'm a dps, tanks that don't interrupt things that are interruptible is my second biggest pet peeve. And I don't want to hear the "oh the healer is super geared, let him just heal through it." The WHM in my static has some special words for people who make him do extra work just cause other players are lazy.

Tanks fighting over the boss in CT/ST. I don't even want to MT those places anymore because I know adds will be running amok eating the healers/dps.

And can we talk about CT/ST runs with at least one bard in every party, but there is never a Foe Req up, ever?

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Parvacake - 12-18-2014

Hmmm...*thinks of what to add*

I've had good experiences with the game over all, save for bad connection nights and the like. The only real peeve I've ever experienced in this game usually has to do with some of the miqo'te RP I see. It's mentioned by NPCs and in lore and other sources that miqo are not really meant to be monogamous creatures. Someone posted here on the site an NPC screenie that had them saying it was very strange for a miqo'te female to only lay with one male.

Soooo...

While I get some of it is OOC with people unable to do nonmonogamy, others its because they don't wish to RP that way, and the rest is mostly related to character back story and preference...

It seems like so many monogamous miqo'te find it abhorent and disgusting to see those who aren't and have to comment on it. And the numbers are significant enough to where sometimes I want to roll up a newspaper and bop them all on the head and go "IF YOU KNEW ANYTHING ABOUT YOUR OWN CULTURE YOU'D KNOW THIS WAS PERFECTLY ACCEPTABLE. STOP ACTING LIKE THEY'RE ALL SINNERS."

And on a less RP related note.

I love playing MNK, but always sucks when you pop Perfect Balance and then some crazy shit happens and you have to waste the cooldown Cry