Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 02-05-2015

Welp fuck I can't even help you get those queues to pop up since I'm also Immortal Flames until I get the chocobo chick.

Once I make the move to Serpents I'll try to queue up more often so I can get shieldspanked.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Warren Castille - 02-05-2015

(02-05-2015, 08:55 AM)Kellach Woods Wrote: Welp fuck I can't even help you get those queues to pop up since I'm also Immortal Flames until I get the chocobo chick.

Once I make the move to Serpents I'll try to queue up more often so I can get shieldspanked.

I don't think it has anything to do with opponents being flagged, though I can see why that doesn't make any sense at first.

People are guessing that it's the picking/sorting methods used by the queue itself. PVP's got fucked up priorities: It will always try to make 24v24v24. So if you wind up with 24 Flames, 24 Adders and 22 Maelstrom, we think that rather than splitting people into an 8v8v8, another 8v8v8, and then looking for one Mael to do a third 8v8v8, it holds EVERYBODY to fill that 24man.

If, say, then 5 more Adders flag and a party of 2 Maelstrom friends flag and 19 more Flames flag all at the same moment, the game will not move one solo guy from the initial 71/72 bracket and throw in that party of 2. It'll instead make a second 72 bracket with 19/5/2 and wait to fill those slots.

So now we have two games, both not full, and the game will not sort people into 8v8v8 unless it seems to have less than 8 people for each faction "in reserve."

tl;dr: Matchmaking is broken.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 02-05-2015

You know what's weird? In most games that have these kind of lobbies you'll have a hard time populating a full one unless there's a ton of people connecting because if like... 5 people connect at the same time you've got a good chance of seeing a 3 person lobby and a 2 people one.

So that they went with "must fill 24/24/24" is mind boggling to me.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Warren Castille - 02-05-2015

That's all just guessing. I can't even call it a "theory" because it's so hard to prove otherwise.

My only "evidence" is that the only times I've ever been in 8v8v8, I've always been grouped with less-than-8 to start and then had others join after the fight commenced. It's never been 8 from the door, it's always filled afterwards via JiP.

I've an inkling because I work in vidja game QA so it's something I've seen before (obviously can't say where when and how).

anyhoo, DPS queues are annoying amirite?

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 02-05-2015

This emergency maintenance may actually mean our static doesn't run this week. Shiiiiiit.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Enla - 02-05-2015

(02-05-2015, 09:08 AM)Kellach Woods Wrote: I've an inkling because I work in vidja game QA so it's something I've seen before (obviously can't say where when and how).

I'm already dreading the queue pops while leveling up Thaumaturgy and the Arcanist skills for my White Mage. Healing queues have spoiled me completely I'm afraid... To the point where I'm honestly considering leveling any new characters as Conjurers until I can get them their chocobos, just to streamline the process.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 02-05-2015

(02-05-2015, 09:38 AM)Cylin Wrote:
(02-05-2015, 09:08 AM)Kellach Woods Wrote: I've an inkling because I work in vidja game QA so it's something I've seen before (obviously can't say where when and how).

I'm already dreading the queue pops while leveling up Thaumaturgy and the Arcanist skills for my White Mage. Healing queues have spoiled me completely I'm afraid... To the point where I'm honestly considering leveling any new characters as Conjurers until I can get them their chocobos, just to streamline the process.

I'm down to leveling BRD and NIN on Gogon to have all his combat classes at 50. I've basically been reduced to queuing up for a Guildhest and Low-Level Roulette while doing my dailies. If they pop, I go in. If they don't, then BRD just doesn't get any EXP that day before I hop over to Chachan.

Plus side, BRD is at 44, so it's almost there. Then it's just getting NIN up to speed (from level 20, whee). It makes me kinda wish the bonus you got from having a 50 was cumulative, rather than a one-time bonus kind of deal. I'd love it if, because I have eight other combat classes at 50, I got a much larger EXP bonus to wrap up capping the last couple.

... would be amazing for the crafting classes too. "Hey, you already capped BSM, ARM, ALC, and CUL... so here's a huge bonus EXP percentage to help you finish off the rest of 'em."

A man can dream.

Leveling THM/BLM back when the queues were 40min has made me appreciate every single almost instant queue I have ever had as a tank or healer.

Leveling melee after ninja *was released* has made me cry.

Especially because lancer is so godawful boring to level and right now my rotation is Heavy thrust > spam Impulse Drive until do Heavy Thrust again! Throw in mercy stroke, leg sweep when appropriate (and other off gcd)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Sounsyy - 02-05-2015

Ninja was an absolute pain to level. Of course, this is coming from someone who had all 50s in 1.0 and ACN done shortly after 2.0's release. I pretty much just mixed leves and fates and didn't even bother with dungeons unless a friend was also queueing for one. Though once I got to 40 Ninja, I just went to fate farm in Northern Thanalan and got 50 in two grind sessions. So that's definitely my 40+ recommendation.

As excited as I am for Heavensward... I am not looking forward to leveling three new jobs on top of capping all of my pre-existing jobs. That's literally 270 levels just for battle classes. That's not even counting crafters/gatherers. Ughhhhhhhhhhhhh. Good thing all my combat classes are i100+, even though once Heavensward drops that probably won't matter at all. It'll be like 2.0 launch, where all of 1.0's best gear was suddenly useless, all over again.

(02-05-2015, 10:34 AM)Sounsyy Wrote: Ninja was an absolute pain to level. Of course, this is coming from someone who had all 50s in 1.0 and ACN done shortly after 2.0's release. I pretty much just mixed leves and fates and didn't even bother with dungeons unless a friend was also queueing for one. Though once I got to 40 Ninja, I just went to fate farm in Northern Thanalan and got 50 in two grind sessions. So that's definitely my 40+ recommendation.

As excited as I am for Heavensward... I am not looking forward to leveling three new jobs on top of capping all of my pre-existing jobs. That's literally 270 levels just for battle classes. That's not even counting crafters/gatherers. Ughhhhhhhhhhhhh. Good thing all my combat classes are i100+, even though once Heavensward drops that probably won't matter at all. It'll be like 2.0 launch, where all of 1.0's best gear was suddenly useless, all over again.

Hey now, Darklight didn't get immediately turned to paste. Remember, Blue Garter was clearing Turn 1 before Early Access ended.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Sounsyy - 02-05-2015

(02-05-2015, 10:36 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: Hey now, Darklight didn't get immediately turned to paste. Remember, Blue Garter was clearing Turn 1 before Early Access ended.

Yeah but in that instance level cap wasn't increased. I'm still trying to figure out how they're going to do that...

You think they're going to do what they did in FFXI and just leave lv50 gear at lv50? Or do you think they'll redistribute the lv50 gear between levels 50-59 based on item level gradient - leaving the new lv60 gear as being better than what we had in 2.0?

Like I can't figure out if my lv50 gear is gonna be BiS all they way through my leveling process to 60 and then I'll get better stuff or if a fresh lv51 who just started the game will jump 80 item levels just by purchasing lv51 gear over lv50 gear.

(02-05-2015, 10:44 AM)Sounsyy Wrote:
(02-05-2015, 10:36 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: Hey now, Darklight didn't get immediately turned to paste. Remember, Blue Garter was clearing Turn 1 before Early Access ended.

Yeah but in that instance level cap wasn't increased. I'm still trying to figure out how they're going to do that...

You think they're going to do what they did in FFXI and just leave lv50 gear at lv50? Or do you think they'll redistribute the lv50 gear between levels 50-59 based on item level gradient - leaving the new lv60 gear as being better than what we had in 2.0?

Like I can't figure out if my lv50 gear is gonna be BiS all they way through my leveling process to 60 and then I'll get better stuff or if a fresh lv51 who just started the game will jump 80 item levels just by purchasing lv51 gear over lv50 gear.

Yoshi believes in vertical progression. I'm expecting (but could be wrong!) that if you're i130 going into 3.0, you're going to have replaced that gear by 55. Come character-level 60 I expect us to be in the i170~ range or something.

The sadist in me hopes the level cap is locked behind Maat's XIV equivalent. Farm your testimonies! FARM THEM!

I have Lancer and Rogue to get 50 before 3.0 T_T

Lancer is SO. FUCKING. BORING OMFG. HOW DO PEOPLE LEVEL THIS?! But I need invigorate and Blood for blood so I'm not a melee scrub. Heavy Thrust. Leg Sweep. Impulse Drive. Impulse drive. Is Heavy Thrust up? Yes? Impulse Drive again. Ok time to Heavy Thrust. Oh I can use some other things like mercy stroke and some other Lancer ability I don't remember. heavy Thrust is falling time for that.

And then Rogue... @_@ It's nice at least. Not boring like Lancer. How do you melee do this.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 02-05-2015

(02-05-2015, 10:55 AM)Kage Wrote: Lancer is SO. FUCKING. BORING OMFG. HOW DO PEOPLE LEVEL THIS?!

I leveled LNC/DRG as my first melee combat class for Gogon after finishing the caster classes. So, SCH/SMN>WHM>BLM>DRG. I don't remember any particular issues with it. Then again, I don't remember many issues with leveling any of the combat classes - I think I go into a Grind Zone mentality from years of WoW and don't even pay much attention to it.