Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Sounsyy - 02-05-2015

(02-05-2015, 10:51 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: The sadist in me hopes the level cap is locked behind Maat's XIV equivalent. Farm your testimonies! FARM THEM!

FIGHT ME MAAT! FSH VS FSH!!! But oh god, I'd just not even bother with MNK, DRG, NIN, BLM, or SMN... They're all like i110 but I never play them. =o

Also, maybe I'm a sadist but I really hope the lv60 Relic Fishing Rod is Lu Shang's. And in order to get it, you have to turn in an HQ Big Fish from each region in the game and turn in your Luminary, your Ironworks, and your Halcyon Lucis fishing rods.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Steel Wolf - 02-05-2015

If Cliaux is to be a Ninja of any great worth, I'm gonna HAVE to get Blood for Blood, apparently...

...so...yea...I know this feel. Not looking forward to it. -_-

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Telluride - 02-05-2015

(02-05-2015, 10:55 AM)Kage Wrote: I have Lancer and Rogue to get 50 before 3.0 T_T

Lancer is SO. FUCKING. BORING OMFG. HOW DO PEOPLE LEVEL THIS?! But I need invigorate and Blood for blood so I'm not a melee scrub. Heavy Thrust. Leg Sweep. Impulse Drive. Impulse drive. Is Heavy Thrust up? Yes? Impulse Drive again. Ok time to Heavy Thrust. Oh I can use some other things like mercy stroke and some other Lancer ability I don't remember. heavy Thrust is falling time for that.

And then Rogue... @_@ It's nice at least. Not boring like Lancer. How do you melee do this.

Speaking as someone who is trying to gradually level Lancer right now (just hit 30), I'll say that it is so far considerably LESS painful to me than Gladiator (which I have at lvl26 on an alt). However, I might be biased, because my mains in several games past were positional melee DPS, so it's almost like coming home, in a weird sort of way.

So, to offer a counterpoint...

Lob Flashflashflash stab stab isrampartupyet flash flash whyismyfullyarmoredwarriorforcedtousebloodymanapoints flash lookslikeadiscoinhere stab finallyrampartisup stab.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 02-05-2015

(02-05-2015, 10:58 AM)Gegenji Wrote:
(02-05-2015, 10:55 AM)Kage Wrote: Lancer is SO. FUCKING. BORING OMFG. HOW DO PEOPLE LEVEL THIS?!

I leveled LNC/DRG as my first melee combat class for Gogon after finishing the caster classes. So, SCH/SMN>WHM>BLM>DRG. I don't remember any particular issues with it. Then again, I don't remember many issues with leveling any of the combat classes - I think I go into a Grind Zone mentality from years of WoW and don't even pay much attention to it.
At least you have movement and stacks with PGL/MNK. Rogue just looks flashy.
LNC so far is spam 2 buttons ; ; It's just incredibly boring so far. The only positional I have right now is Heavy Thrust for moar powah!

Edit: And the other DoWs: Tanks tank things and look good doing it too. The right pulls. The right movement to give melee their room. BRD... .... sing? DoTs? @_@

BLM>PLD>SCH/SMN>WAR>WHM>BRD>MNK
Just... got... two... melee... left. T_T

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 02-05-2015

(02-05-2015, 11:13 AM)Kage Wrote: BLM>PLD>SCH/SMN>WAR>WHM>BRD>MNK
Just... got... two... melee... left. T_T

I think my final order was SCH/SMN>WHM>BLM>DRG>MNK (until NIN patch hit)>PLD>WAR>Finished MNK>Currently 44 BRD. After that NIN and then done until Heavensward. I actually expect to make it despite the lazy way I'm going about it, leaving me free to - as Sounsyy pointed out... do it all over again with three new classes and the new level caps.

ONLY with Gogon though. He's my "do everything" character. Chachan will continue to only have PLD and NIN capped, and maybe a healing class at SOME point just to round out his usefulness if such a thing is needed (which may not be at all if I do break down and bring his older brother over come the expansion, in which case if people need a hole filled, I'd probably use him). I'm not going to bother trying all-50ing another character unless I've already finished it with Gogon and find myself bored enough to start working on a second.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Melkire - 02-05-2015

(02-05-2015, 10:55 AM)Kage Wrote: I have Lancer and Rogue to get 50 before 3.0 T_T

Lancer is SO. FUCKING. BORING OMFG. HOW DO PEOPLE LEVEL THIS?! But I need invigorate and Blood for blood so I'm not a melee scrub. Heavy Thrust. Leg Sweep. Impulse Drive. Impulse drive. Is Heavy Thrust up? Yes? Impulse Drive again. Ok time to Heavy Thrust. Oh I can use some other things like mercy stroke and some other Lancer ability I don't remember. heavy Thrust is falling time for that.

And then Rogue... @_@ It's nice at least. Not boring like Lancer. How do you melee do this.

LNC/DRG is this weird case where you don't get the skills that make the class flow until you reach the 40s in level. It's similar in that regard to how PLD doesn't get its tank stance until 40, compared to WAR at 30. You won't really feel that DRG has come into its own until you have access to Disembowel, and even then you'll lack the Chaos Thrust combo until level 50.

Monk and Ninja are the jigsaw puzzles with which the Square-Enix child has chosen to start with one corner and progress from there. Each piece adds to and builds upon what came before, leading to a single, clear, cohesive picture from the get-go.

Dragoon is the jigsaw puzzle with which the Square-Enix child has chosen to put together many disparate pieces, resulting in multiple smaller sections of the puzzle that don't fit together yet. They won't mesh and you won't get that single, clear, cohesive picture until you're almost done with the jigsaw.

Even then, it's dreadfully boring, imo, since optimal play requires a long rotation from which any deviation will result in massive DPS loss. MNK and NIN are a little more flexible in this regard, since both of those feature alternative weaponskill paths in their combos.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Dimona - 02-05-2015

Very brief and generic rant incoming:

I get that maybe your last DPS were made of derp.  I've seen them too...

BUT FOR CRYING OUT LOUD... IF YOU ARE A TANK OR A HEALER AND DEMANDING THAT I USE THE LIMIT BREAK, GIVE ME A SECOND OR TWO TO MAKE SURE I'M CLEAR OF AOE SHIT FIRST!!

Trust me when I say I want it dead as much as you do, bubba...

This is a sin on par with those jackasses who sit behind you at the traffic light and beep at you the exact moment the light turns green.  Wait a few seconds FFS... and if the DPS haven't limit breaked by then, feel free to nudge them.

I don't tell healers when to cast spells or tanks how to do their thing... not unsolicited, and not unless there is some very solid reason for doing so (protect would be nice, do you know what Overpower is, etc.)  Shut up and let me do my job.

(I had a very annoying scholar in my roulette before).

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Telluride - 02-05-2015

(02-05-2015, 06:52 PM)Dimona Wrote: Very brief and generic rant incoming:

I get that maybe your last DPS were made of derp.  I've seen them too...

BUT FOR CRYING OUT LOUD... IF YOU ARE A TANK OR A HEALER AND DEMANDING THAT I USE THE LIMIT BREAK, GIVE ME A SECOND OR TWO TO MAKE SURE I'M CLEAR OF AOE SHIT FIRST!!

Limit breaks are a weird thing with bards.

999 times out of a 1000, it's "No, save it for the other DPS"

But that one time, that one time, it actually could be used and useful, it is suddenly entirely the bard's fault if they don't think, "Oh, wait, you WANT me to use it now?" And read the minds of the rest of the party...

...which is getting wiped because they didn't do their own parts, and the healer missed his own chance to use it, but it's not HIS fault, of course....

But that .1% time, you get mad at the bard because we don't have the LB hotkey on an instant super-macro with custom text and <se>, when 99.9% of the time, you'd have a @$@# fit if we DID have the nerve to try an LB...

-ahem- Yeah, I have it on a sidebar, now, but in 8 months of playing this game, I've only ever had that one time when I could have really used it to effect without someone getting mad that I popped it.

Cut us some slack, because if your bard ever does need to use the LB, it's probably YOUR FAULT.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Atoli - 02-05-2015

(02-05-2015, 06:52 PM)Dimona Wrote: This is a sin on par with those jackasses who sit behind you at the traffic light and beep at you the exact moment the light turns green.  Wait a few seconds FFS... and if the DPS haven't limit breaked by then, feel free to nudge them.

I don't tell healers when to cast spells or tanks how to do their thing... not unsolicited, and not unless there is some very solid reason for doing so (protect would be nice, do you know what Overpower is, etc.)  Shut up and let me do my job.

I can understand the frustration, but I always prefer being told when to LB just in case. You never know when they think the group's going to fail and you need the tank/healer limit break, and since it's across the ENTIRE party, the communication can be beyond crucial in PUGs. I've seen a tank limit break save an entire raid from dying, had I used the limit break when I wanted to willy nilly I would've wiped us.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 02-05-2015

(02-05-2015, 07:07 PM)Atoline Wrote: You never know when they think the group's going to fail and you need the tank/healer limit break, and since it's across the ENTIRE party, the communication can be beyond crucial in PUGs. I've seen a tank limit break save an entire raid from dying, had I used the limit break when I wanted to willy nilly I would've wiped us.

I had this very thing happen this week on Chachan. Did WoD, PuGmates let a LOT of clouds get through. One of my Coral buddies I was running with told me to use the tank LB3. Did, and we survived the blast to kill the boss.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Sounsyy - 02-05-2015

(02-05-2015, 07:57 PM)Gegenji Wrote:
(02-05-2015, 07:07 PM)Atoline Wrote: You never know when they think the group's going to fail and you need the tank/healer limit break, and since it's across the ENTIRE party, the communication can be beyond crucial in PUGs. I've seen a tank limit break save an entire raid from dying, had I used the limit break when I wanted to willy nilly I would've wiped us.

I had this very thing happen this week on Chachan. Did WoD, PuGmates let a LOT of clouds get through. One of my Coral buddies I was running with told me to use the tank LB3. Did, and we survived the blast to kill the boss.

This exact thing happened in my WoD today. <_< Peeps let meteors go through and most of the party got murdered. Weren't enough people to block all clouds, so clouds got through. Our tank LB3'd instinctively and our party survived, while the other two wiped. The other healer and I were able to get the alliance back up afterwards for a win.

Honestly... that WoD run though... Ugh. We almost wiped at the end of every single boss fight. I'm talking like folks just eating dirt at 1-3% mark like mechanics don't matter anymore.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 02-05-2015

...am ...am I the only one who doesn't want XIV to be XI redux?

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Unnamed Mercenary - 02-05-2015

(02-05-2015, 08:35 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote: ...am ...am I the only one who doesn't want XIV to be XI redux?

Never played XI. ...but from what I've heard about it, don't want it. I like not having to depend on what direction I'm facing to craft, and a faster battle system is nice. 

Plus, lalafells > tarus; miqo'te > mythra; roes > galka.

I found the design aesthetics in XIV much nicer than XI. XI with super-pretty graphics woulda been a completely different game.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - FreelanceWizard - 02-05-2015

(02-05-2015, 08:35 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote: ...am ...am I the only one who doesn't want XIV to be XI redux?

I played enough of XI to know that I don't want it.

I did my "fire and brimstone" time in EQ. I'm not really interested in doing that again. Smile

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Enteris - 02-05-2015

I played XI and enjoyed it. However, I don't want to submit myself or anyone else to that hell again.

"Don't have a particular piece of gear? Pfft, get the hell out of my party!" Yeah, no thanks.