Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - DreamedReality - 12-18-2014

Dear tank in that one PuG, 

Please stop spinning/moving the mobs when you have melee DPS in the group. I don't care that you're taking a little bit less damage. The healer can deal with a bit of autoattack damage. Really and truly. AND LETS BE HONEST YOU'RE TAKING MORE DAMAGE NOW BECAUSE YOU'RE TAKING EVERYTHING OUT OF MY RANGE AND I CAN'T KILL THINGS EFFICIENTLY WHICH MAKES THE FIGHT GO LONGER.
Really. Stop moving them at all. You look like a twitchy spaz.

Sincerely,
The MNK that kept bitching at you.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Hyakki - 12-18-2014

It weirds me out when Miqo'te roleplayers say they are carrying a litter or refer to their children as 'kits' or 'kittens'.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 12-18-2014

A note to trigger-happy DPS (mainly BLM since they can put up the hurt faster than others).

I am a full-service tank. I offer my tanking "services" for your convenience. I am also somewhat friendly and will offer any knowledge I know about the game which admittedly isn't quite as large as many out there (although I know how to make sure Amon doesn't goddamn move after Curtain Call, PUG Syrcus MTs I've encountered).

As such, I happen to like positioning the mobs' asses in your face. Less/No misses, less distance to travel between positioning attacks, less chance of you standing where you're not supposed to, more pew pew, less time wasted.

If the threat threshold is crossed, the mob will queue its next attack with you in mind, screwing up ALL of my positioning work to make it more convenient for you even if my next queued attack will bring it back to me. Then I have to burn a Provoke to save your sorry ass or to stop your whining about how I can't hold threat.

Also, SE, when are we getting an AoE that builds Wrath? Never? K thx.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 12-18-2014

(12-18-2014, 03:50 AM)Lilithium Wrote: Someone posted here on the site an NPC screenie that had them saying it was very strange for a miqo'te female to only lay with one male.

Little off-topic cause I can't find the thread and I remember asking this.

Couldn't it be said that the irregular action is the fact that it was a bunch of women with the same male (almost... seeker like)?

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Warren Castille - 12-18-2014

(12-18-2014, 05:28 AM)Jaques Wrote: Dear tank in that one PuG, 

Please stop spinning/moving the mobs when you have melee DPS in the group. I don't care that you're taking a little bit less damage. The healer can deal with a bit of autoattack damage. Really and truly. AND LETS BE HONEST YOU'RE TAKING MORE DAMAGE NOW BECAUSE YOU'RE TAKING EVERYTHING OUT OF MY RANGE AND I CAN'T KILL THINGS EFFICIENTLY WHICH MAKES THE FIGHT GO LONGER.

Sincerely,

Dear MNKs in Sastasha HM,

Those crabs are spinning because their conals are timed to go off every few seconds. I'm not eating several thousands' of needless damage so you can get a crit on bootshine. It's just this one pull, it'll be better soon.

Also I'm pulling that whole last room at once, you'd better have PB up for Rockbreaker spam.

Sincerely,

The guy spinning crabs

Needless spinning is the worst trait a tank can have, and while I agree with you about sometimes eating an attack to streamline DPS, there ARE situations where that's not reasonable. The only one I can think of right now are those crabs following the orobon pulls.

Peacekeeping edit: Not giving Jacques flack, to be completely transparent. The topic of these crabs comes up enough in my life that I wanted to comment on them. Jacques is correct, and this is not guff being given.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Berrod Armstrong - 12-18-2014

(12-18-2014, 08:52 AM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(12-18-2014, 05:28 AM)Jaques Wrote: Dear tank in that one PuG, 

Sincerely,

Dear MNKs in Sastasha HM,

Those crabs are spinning because their conals are timed to go off every few seconds. I'm not eating several thousands' of needless damage so you can get a crit on bootshine. It's just this one pull, it'll be better soon.

Also I'm pulling that whole last room at once, you'd better have PB up for Rockbreaker spam.

Sincerely,

The guy spinning crabs

Needless spinning is the worst trait a tank can have, and while I agree with you about sometimes eating an attack to streamline DPS, there ARE situations where that's not reasonable. The only one I can think of right now are those crabs following the orobon pulls.
I'm that weird monk who laughs and tries to position myself along with the spinning.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Warren Castille - 12-18-2014

On the topic of mobs being spun, I've been getting into the habit of trying to only have mobs change direction once when they insist on targeting someone else. For example, when Glasya Labolas turns to do his conal, I'll move with him and not reposition him. I know enterprising DPS will continue to hit directionals when he turns, so keeping him in place afterwards seems to be a courtesy to those doing it. The obvious exceptions to this are bosses with cleaves and the like that will paste everyone if not facing away.

I'm usually a tank so I don't see this practice done by others a lot, but I'm hoping it catches on.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Steel Wolf - 12-18-2014

(12-18-2014, 08:21 AM)Kellach Woods Wrote: Also, SE, when are we getting an AoE that builds Wrath? Never? K thx.

OH GOD I WOULD WANT THAT SO BAD!!

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - DreamedReality - 12-18-2014

(12-18-2014, 09:00 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: On the topic of mobs being spun, I've been getting into the habit of trying to only have mobs change direction once when they insist on targeting someone else. For example, when Glasya Labolas turns to do his conal, I'll move with him and not reposition him. I know enterprising DPS will continue to hit directionals when he turns, so keeping him in place afterwards seems to be a courtesy to those doing it. The obvious exceptions to this are bosses with cleaves and the like that will paste everyone if not facing away.

I'm usually a tank so I don't see this practice done by others a lot, but I'm hoping it catches on.
I usually tank so I'll keep this in mind in the things I run. Try it out and see how it goes.

And to be extra clear in my original post... I wasn't really talking about some minor spinning by tanks dodging or anything like that. I don't usually mind those and can usually predict/keep up with such things.

I'm talking the tanks(plural. yes. it's happened more than once.) Who will run continuous small circles, like a sort of half-assed kiting type thing as they spam OP and/or Flash. Like the latest one was an AK run where the guy was pulling on average of 2 groups at once was all. Then running around as I just said. Draggin things all over the place do 'reduce damage'. It was... 'fun'.

I've spun things around in Snowcloak using Flash and Overpower cause a healer will insist on more pulled.

But then in order to avoid the 10 aoes come at me, the mobs tend to spin.

Cry

I'm sorry. T_T

(12-18-2014, 09:48 AM)Kage Wrote: I've spun things around in Snowcloak using Flash and Overpower cause a healer will insist on more pulled.

But then in order to avoid the 10 aoes come at me, the mobs tend to spin.

Cry

I'm sorry. T_T

On big packs it shouldn't matter; AoEs don't hinge on directionals and if you've got DPS single-targeting down enemies while 10 are beating on you, you're likely going to die. Spinning with multiple targets actually helps to keep them grouped, in my experience. It also helps dodge AoE when you've got shadow flare flaming arrow rain of death graphics having relations with your eyes against their consent.

Also, mass-pulling Snowcloak is a joy of mine. MORE BUZZARDS. MORE WOLVES. OH NO, ARTILLERY ATTACK GOOBS!

Part of it was said in poor taste sarcasm.

because many a melee will not aoe even though, to me, it is obvious you should.

Do I ever pull lots of mobs when there's 2 monks? No. Do I pull with DRG and MNK? Sometimes. Do I with BRD+? Yep. BLM+? Yep. When a healer keeps running? yep.

Healers come back ; ;

I wish it was possible for me to -not care- about things that certain Ul'dah RP trolls do or say.

I can't T_T

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Atoli - 12-18-2014

(12-18-2014, 10:44 PM)Kage Wrote: I wish it was possible for me to -not care- about things that certain Ul'dah RP trolls do or say.

I can't T_T

I feel like ignoring them is the best way for them to get bored and move on. It's always worked flawlessly for me in the past, assuming you mean like jumping in your face, physical trolling any stuff like that. The other night I was in the tavern with friends and there was a giant man in a fat chocobo suit running around with a fork. Everyone sprinted up from the table and chased him down, he seemed to be a pretty good sport and it was pretty fun to watch xD

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 12-19-2014

"Doesn't matter it's Syrcus it's easy huehue"

Yes, yes it is.

Which is why it is a PERFECT TRAINING GROUND FOR REFINING TECHNIQUES FOR THOSE OF US WHO DON'T RAID ALL THAT OFTEN (other than Syrcus) OR PRACTICING COMBOS OR ABILITY TIMINGS OR EVEN REALIZING THAT THERE ARE MICRO ADJUSTMENTS THAT YOU CAN MAKE TO RUNS THAT MAKE THEM BECOME INCREDIBLY LESS HARD (knowledge that is actually applicable to the Cuddles of Buttamut - aka always learn you swaggerless cretin).

Which is why I still take it seriously even if I could faceroll it in my sleep at this point (In fact I think I did that in my last run last night).

So when I see someone pull a boss without waiting for group because it's "so easy" (and they end up wiping the part of the raid that actually made it before they jumped the gun) or dick around and say exactly that, I get internally angry.

EDIT: It's gotten to the point where I've kind of taken a role of "saving Syrcus runs" whenever something bad happens. I tend to be lucky enough to be paired with decent healers who realize that I've taken over whatever tanking duty was present. And I happen to be the only person in the run that cares about people taking damage.