Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 02-17-2015

Oh, I know how Parry is pretty much as bad as Evade in FF6 original cart.

It's one of those things that I don't go out of my way to get because IIRC STR increases your parry stat so you may as well get some Phys. Atk out of it. I still like the stat more than damage stats because I'm bad at this game but yeah.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Enla - 02-17-2015

All this talk of healers is making me really, really hope that I'm able to learn how to be an efficient end game healer by the time I finally hit 50 with WHM. I'm still learning rotations and what works best for when, and am constantly afraid I'm doing something wrong even though I rarely allow a party to wipe. With that said I cannot agree enough with the idea of the DPS avoiding unnecessary damage when needed and that a healer should go to the tank, not the other way around. Yes, it does annoy me when the tank kites around static scenery in a stage while I'm healing them as it immediately invalidates what I'm doing - but for everything else it's my job to find that sweet spot between getting too close and being too far away to do anything of use. Likewise for the DPS, if the bloody boss is running an attack with clearly telegraphed paths to avoid - AVOID THEM. If you take damage during a fight it's usual either your fault or the tank is being an idiot. If the latter, I'm sympathetic and try my hardest to keep you alive. If the former I'm just going to facepalm at you and debate ways to floss my teeth with your entrails as I try to regroup and get your health back up to where I need it to be. Especially when it's avoidable. If it isn't, like some bosses, then no sweat.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Unnamed Mercenary - 02-17-2015

(02-17-2015, 01:48 PM)Telluride Wrote: Speaking of cell phones:

- Well-used and loved but older smartphone suddenly has its touchscreen go out - the only button responding on it at all is the power button.

- Am Unhappy, but was unsatisfied with carrier anyway. Hope to get number transferred to better phone and plan.

- Phone rep says that it can't be transferred over unless the touch screen works for them to get into the settings. Am Incredulous.

- Check at Techshell. Told that repair is minimum $95. Phone is old enough that brand new phones twice as good cost maybe just over half that.

It's 2015, and they don't have a damnable App that can plug a reasonably good, supported smartphone, into their desktop machine, and retrieve the necessary info when the owner is right there to provide any ID and passwords needed? It's not as if my old phone was obsolete by any stretch of anyone's imagination.

Frustrated

A note on the data thing. Most smartphones encrypt all that information and lockout access to it if the screen is locked. But it seems silly that they couldn't pull out a SIM card if it's a GSM phone, or otherwise find the info if it's CDMA of some variety.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - BlackmoreKnight - 02-17-2015

Why do some WARs queue into extreme primals without having 22 GLD. Why. Whhhhyy. 

(Yes I know about half of them have irrelevant tank swaps these days but that takes a level of practice/technique/optimization that I don't trust DF with)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - SessionZero - 02-17-2015

(02-17-2015, 02:32 PM)Sounsyy Wrote:
Show Content
Does this dissertation have any effect on PLDs? I went full VIT PLD and mostly use gear with VIT/Parry for maximum mitigation (I also have a level 50 WAR that I never use but was thinking of switching up to a STR WAR for fun OT times). I still buff the ever-loving shit out of myself with Rampart/Fight or Flight/Foresight and took Bloodbath over Mercy Stroke as one of my cross-class skills for a wee bit of self-healing that doesn't depend on an almost-dead mob (though I imagine it does very little in the long run since my PLD does very little damage output comparatively speaking).

Also sorry if I'm horribly derailing the thread. I just find Sounsyy's analysis very interesting and relevant to my interests T^T

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 02-17-2015

(02-17-2015, 03:26 PM)SessionZero Wrote:
Show Content
Does this dissertation have any effect on PLDs?

Yup, there's bit about 2/3 of the way through on PLDs and how Parry affects them. Basically, your shield will do more to help your block rate than stacking Parry will. And, since your shield block is checked before weapon parry, that makes the parry you're stacking for the weapon extra useless. I've been running a full STR PLD on both characters for a while now and the only downside to doing it is that the STR accessories don't have VIT.

... Which sucks if you're dealing with, say, Cloud of Darkness and healers that like to slack off.

I still have over 7k with it, though, and I'm i122 on Chachan.

It's just so "delightful" that I have to jump around hunting tank items for the left side that DOESN'T have parry on it. The only pieces I have left are really a couple Poetic pieces... and junk I can't get unless I try to run Coil.

I don't really NEED it since I'm not doing anything beyond WoD, but it's quite annoying that there's such a useless stat out there that most tanks won't even be aware about.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 02-17-2015

CHINA ONLY SERVERS DON'T GET GOLD SAUCER.

SO THEY GET PANDA MINIONS. :<

http://jp.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/332076/blog/2042752/

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 02-17-2015

(02-17-2015, 03:31 PM)Gegenji Wrote:
(02-17-2015, 03:26 PM)SessionZero Wrote:
Show Content
Does this dissertation have any effect on PLDs?

Yup, there's bit about 2/3 of the way through on PLDs and how Parry affects them. Basically, your shield will do more to help your block rate than stacking Parry will. And, since your shield block is checked before weapon parry, that makes the parry you're stacking for the weapon extra useless. I've been running a full STR PLD on both characters for a while now and the only downside to doing it is that the STR accessories don't have VIT.

Y'know when I made the comparison that Parry = FF6 Evade I didn't expect to be THAT MUCH on the money for PLDs.

We should compile a list of VIT items without parry, see if that would help.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - SessionZero - 02-17-2015

(02-17-2015, 03:35 PM)Kage Wrote: CHINA ONLY SERVERS DON'T GET GOLD SAUCER.

SO THEY GET PANDA MINIONS. :<

http://jp.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/332076/blog/2042752/
"Please make it global."

Lol, China servers get a pittance because they don't get the awesomeness of Gold Saucer... and non-China server players still ask for SE to give it to them too. Like, come on guys.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 02-17-2015

China server players are also behind in content and they get some weird censors for them bones and stuff lol

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 02-18-2015

For once I saw the "really" bad WoD run.

Except it was an in-progress run so I really should have realized that was bad but I just wanted to hopefully get healer pants or belt.

I was locked out of the Scylla mob when I joined in-prog. No biggy. 5-headed hydra dragon goes okish but I notice some tank e-peen going on in the beginning. Hurm.

Get to Cerberus. Wipe. Wat? Wait is. Did that SMN in my party have derpbuncle? Omg it's derpbuncle. It pulls. We all scramble around. Our BLM in dreadwyrm gear tanks it for awhile. I cry as Lustrates go off so I don't lose a member because of stupid people/ Other alliance tank faces the short sides E-W and not facing the gate or away from the gate LIKE ALL OTHER SENSIBLE TANKS DO. Healers get mauled to death. Like me. We wipe. My alliance tank grabs and positions it the SENSIBLE NORMAL WAY. We clear. Though I did learn in the 2nd wipe that I guess Medica II (not me) or a heal on a chain orb carrier will make them drop the thing. TIL!

Derpbuncle pulls again. Ugh. People mad at the SMN. I'm getting mad at the SMN. I MEAN YOU ARE A GORRAMFUCKINGSUMN. One tank drops and other alliance tanks over. Kinda goes ok but meteors. Why the fuck can people not do this mechanic properly? Why? WHY? It's not hard to go to a fucking circle and make sure it lights up. Wipe. Our tank pulls. We keep him up. It's all good. OMFG METEORS but not wipe-fest just yet. Until the clouds for ABC spawn. After the worms. Who apparently you only have to hit once so they don't stun/silence people. Which people in A did not do obviously BECAUSE THEY GOT STUNNED/SILENCED AND WIPED. And did not have enough people to cover clouds and meteors. The tank hoped to save it by Tank LB. ... yeah no.

And funnily enough they then want to kick SMN because of derpbuncle. I'm annoyed with said SMN who dies to the shots Cloud does all the time but he's not the one failing mechanics. He's not responsible for the worms. He's not the one responsible for dpsing A's cloud. He's not responsible for all the meteors people are failing.

Stop. Fucking. Not. Doing. Mechanics. GDI

Get to Cloud of Darkness. OMFG THIS

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - FreelanceWizard - 02-18-2015

(02-18-2015, 12:23 PM)Kage Wrote: Though I did learn in the 2nd wipe that I guess Medica II (not me) or a heal on a chain orb carrier will make them drop the thing. TIL!

It's not just heals -- any effect applied to a chain carrier causes them to drop the chain. This is a truly evil mechanic, since it's not obvious.

I just learned this the other day when our tank (the raid MT) was carrying the chain back and I, noticing E4E was up, cast it on him in preparation for the end of Reawakening. "Poof" went the chain. "Rawr!" went Cerberus and wiped the raid. Blush Cry

Now I always mention before the fight, "Remember that chain carriers can't be touched by any effects, so hold off on AE heals!"

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 02-18-2015

(02-18-2015, 01:07 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: I just learned this the other day when our tank (the raid MT) was carrying the chain back and I, noticing E4E was up, cast it on him in preparation for the end of Reawakening. "Poof" went the chain. "Rawr!" went Cerberus and wiped the raid. Blush Cry

That must've been quite the... chain reaction.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 02-18-2015

(02-18-2015, 01:07 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote:
(02-18-2015, 12:23 PM)Kage Wrote: Though I did learn in the 2nd wipe that I guess Medica II (not me) or a heal on a chain orb carrier will make them drop the thing. TIL!

It's not just heals -- any effect applied to a chain carrier causes them to drop the chain. This is a truly evil mechanic, since it's not obvious.

I just learned this the other day when our tank (the raid MT) was carrying the chain back and I, noticing E4E was up, cast it on him in preparation for the end of Reawakening. "Poof" went the chain. "Rawr!" went Cerberus and wiped the raid. Blush Cry

Now I always mention before the fight, "Remember that chain carriers can't be touched by any effects, so hold off on AE heals!"
Yeah I wasn't affected by it (other than the wipe) except for seeing it happen. Though it was amusing because the tank going on about it was the tank that just wanted to cleave everyone. I wasn't healing the chained because they were in a different alliance. I was busy trying to keep my tank from dying from the adds and seeing Cerberus chew and claw on me. Succor doesn't hit people not in my party :> On one hand, it's your own alliance. On the hand I learned.

I have to say though. Usually I can still comfortably DPS and heal as SCH in WoD. That run... nope. ><

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Caspar - 02-18-2015

I really think mitigation and self healing on dps is not just a solo tool. I save my healers some mana and often my life due to the many sources of unavoidable damage in coil. Because our scholar literally does not heal outside of fairy unless we need an adlo or succor, or it's an emergency, not needing a big heal during earthshakers and flares is really useful in lowering the burden on our WHM. SW has a very shot cd as well, so I can usually afford to use it to get a freebie positional and heal to full after damage. We basically don't heal anyone but the tank unless it is absolutely necessary, so there is some time to see the SW and react, plus I often say not to heal me if I am using it. The other reason is just the result of limited options; there just aren't other useful cross class skills. You should take mantra for when the monk has used theirs and the mandatory offense cool downs, and invigorate, but beyond that skills are of much more dubious use. I'd argue that in a lot of fights bloodbath and sw are more useful than fracture or feint... This is not to say that you're free to just take hits for no reason when CDs are up, just that they have a role to play and can fit int your groups strategy. On top of that, remember that things don't always go as planned and having the confidence to know you can recover allows you to aggressively pursue higher dps IMO. Having an emergency button ready is not just reassuring, I've lived solely by virtue of bloodbath/keen flurry/sw when my healer was too busy to save me from unavoidable damage more times than I could count. Plus I play really greedy and it saves me when I mess up, lol