Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 02-18-2015

This is what I've learned / decided.

If you are progression raiding in FCOB and you are DoW... if you do not have and can use these skills, you are... a scrub. Well.... you're not putting your best foot forward.

What skills?
Invigorate
Blood for Blood
Mantra
Second Wind
Mercy Stroke
internal release

I've learned that Virus, even not Super Virus is a good thing.

Please be using cooldowns.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 02-18-2015

These skills are so much handier to have in the long run, too. I'm finally leveling ROG/NIN on Gogon (last one to go before expansion hits!) and having all the cross-class skills available from the get-go is wonderful for getting stuff done. I can only hope that it'll be just as useful come Heavensward.

... Though I'm still mildly miffed that ROG isn't cross-classed with anything. While Death Blossom is pretty meh, I'd love to throw Goad in one of the dead spots for some of the other classes. Bolster the TP of your tank or other DPS? Yes, please.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Caspar - 02-18-2015

(02-18-2015, 03:25 PM)Kage Wrote: This is what I've learned / decided.

If you are progression raiding in FCOB and you are DoW... if you do not have and can use these skills, you are... a scrub. Well.... you're not putting your best foot forward.

What skills?
Invigorate
Blood for Blood
Mantra
Second Wind
Mercy Stroke
internal release

Please be using cooldowns
This is very true. Also I think every healer and magic dd should rotate eye for an eyes and virus. Unless of course you need to save them for a specific mechanic.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Enla - 02-18-2015

(02-18-2015, 03:34 PM)Caspar Wrote: This is very true. Also I think every healer and magic dd should rotate eye for an eyes and virus. Unless of course you need to save them for a specific mechanic.

I actually have a question on this front. How soon should a healer go for Eye for an Eye while leveling? Is it expected to have before 50? Or can you get a WHM to 50 without it while doing dungeons and -then- go back and get it proper? The latter has been my strategy as I've been gunning for level cap as a wHM for awhile now, but I would like to hear other people's opinions in case I'm royally messing things up by putting off the ARC level grind till later. Blush
Don't get me wrong, know that it's needed and will be getting it no matter what so I can do end game content, but is it as life saving as -say- Swiftcast while I made sure to get ASAP?

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Caspar - 02-18-2015

(02-18-2015, 03:34 PM)Caspar Wrote:
(02-18-2015, 03:25 PM)Kage Wrote: This is what I've learned / decided.

What skills?
Invigorate
Blood for Blood
Mantra
Second Wind
Mercy Stroke
internal release

Please be using cooldowns
This is very true. Also I think every healer and magic dd should rotate eye for an eyes and virus. Unless of course you need to save them for a specific mechanic.

(02-18-2015, 07:13 PM)Cylin Wrote:
(02-18-2015, 03:34 PM)Caspar Wrote: This is very true. Also I think every healer and magic dd should rotate eye for an eyes and virus. Unless of course you need to save them for a specific mechanic.

I actually have a question on this front. How soon should a healer go for Eye for an Eye while leveling? Is it expected to have before 50? Or can you get a WHM to 50 without it while doing dungeons and -then- go back and get it proper? The latter has been my strategy as I've been gunning for level cap as a wHM for awhile now, but I would like to hear other people's opinions in case I'm royally messing things up by putting off the ARC level grind till later. Blush
Don't get me wrong, know that it's needed and will be getting it no matter what so I can do end game content, but is it as life saving as -say- Swiftcast while I made sure to get ASAP?
It's good and has no disadvantages, so you should get it but its not nearly as essential as swift cast. Eye is just generally useful rather than a vital component of your playstyle. But I'm no expert healer, so my priorities might be inaccurate. I'd say you're fine without it but if you're in coil people may expect you to have that and virus.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Sounsyy - 02-18-2015

(02-18-2015, 07:13 PM)Cylin Wrote: I actually have a question on this front. How soon should a healer go for Eye for an Eye while leveling? Is it expected to have before 50? Or can you get a WHM to 50 without it while doing dungeons and -then- go back and get it proper?

I wouldn't say it's essential pre-50, but it's an incredibly useful spell for managing damage during big pulls and raids like Syrcus Tower or Coil. WHM is good enough healer in its own right that you won't need it necessarily until you're ready to get it, so feel free to cap WHM before going back for it. ^^

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Edda - 02-18-2015

(02-18-2015, 07:13 PM)Cylin Wrote: I actually have a question on this front. How soon should a healer go for Eye for an Eye while leveling? Is it expected to have before 50? Or can you get a WHM to 50 without it while doing dungeons and -then- go back and get it proper? The latter has been my strategy as I've been gunning for level cap as a wHM for awhile now, but I would like to hear other people's opinions in case I'm royally messing things up by putting off the ARC level grind till later. Blush
In all honesty, Eye for an Eye is really not necessary for end game WHM. Yes, it's good to have. But is it as necessary as Swiftcast and Virus? No. I rarely ever use it in FCoB, and even when I do, it's just a bit of extra fluff and is not a major contribution. Sometimes it doesn't even affect the boss/adds/whatever. Take your time getting it. To be fair its greatest use is for mass pulls in 4-man content. And even then, holy spam will generally negate its chances of proccing, soooo... womp womp.

WHM only -needs- one skill.

Holy.

Everything else is just icing on the cake.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 02-18-2015

(02-18-2015, 03:25 PM)Kage Wrote: Invigorate
Blood for Blood
Mantra
Second Wind
Mercy Stroke
Internal Release

Run it
Useless for WAR
Run it
3RNG5ME for WAR (I run it on everything DPS that can tho)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 02-22-2015

YO DAMN THAT'S COLD

After someone asked to wait for a FATE.

"i waited 2 secs and got bored shoulda noticed it"

wow

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Steel Wolf - 02-22-2015

I FINALLY GOT ALL MY DEMON FENDING PIECES! I DON'T HAVE TO ENTER WoD UNLESS SOMEONE NEEDS MY HELP! YAAAAAASSSSS!!

So why am I in this thread?

....because I can't get the fight theme for the Cloud out of my head. ;_;

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 02-22-2015

i'll take all demon pieces that come my way, they will be useful somehow

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Spethah - 02-22-2015

The frustration of levelling up a dps before hitting coerthas tier fates. I spent almost the entire of yesterday sitting on a Fate PF group by myself and had to close it down to do leves because no one would join and there was almost always one person doing the fates. 

Now I'm sitting on 0 leves and sitting on a 1 hour 36 minute DF queue.

My aim for 50 monk by Tuesday is not going to happen. Bleh.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Enla - 03-03-2015

I'm so glad my FC mates were willing to do the last two dungeons/raids of the original 2.0 storyline with me, so very glad... Because of them I actually got to enjoy the story and watch all the cutscenes, unlike one member of our raiding party who decided to shame me for wanting to enjoy the end of the story and my friends for being there for me. This in spite of the fact that my being new got them an increase in rewards that should have made it well worth it. I agree with my FC leader that we should have story dungeon queues that are for people who want to enjoy the cutscenes, as several of them aren't available at the Inn. I'd have lost a big chunk of my enthusiasm for the game, like my FC leader when he did this the first time, if my friends hadn't been there to stop that one person from forcibly making me resort to youtube and the inn to enjoy the last bits of the story.

With that said, I also understand wanting to get shit done as quick as possible - which is why even though I was watching the cutscenes I was speed reading them instead of listening to the voices. I GET IT, but don't shame other people for wanting to enjoy the story especially if it's their first time... Especially if you're told from the beginning that is what we queue'd to do. I was going as fast as I could and it already was a speed run because my group did want to be respectful to the other two we dragged in from the queue. I just... Agh...

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 03-03-2015

I was pretty lucky to be able to watch the scenes my first time too. And there's some PRETTY AWESOME ones there too. I mean, seriously, you get to see the trademark Final Fantasy spell get cast in there. Not something you want to miss.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 03-03-2015

While you are in fact very correct about the experience you get while watching cutscenes during (seriously doing Coil raids and getting in with your static feels very satisfying), most of them if not all are viewable even in the Inn.

I don't remember if the scene with Maggie at the end makes it but most cutscenes are also listed under different sections in the journal "Duty"

Stupid Square.

Honestly, there is a very very small difference for me between efficient and fast vs speed running. I think some view it differently but if I'm not putting at least one step forward and I'm just following... I fall asleep. Especially if it's a stupid ass-long dungeon anyway. For some, people view the bonus because they're queueing/completing it etc. I don't really agree with it but c'est la vie. To complete the dungeon or to make it the best experience for someone is a different matter for some assholes.

Others would argue that they're letting you watch the cutscenes but will just continue on at their own pace, no matter where you are. -_-

I've tried to slow it down for people but I can't do much as a single tank. healers will still run in after the other tank, etc. Even if I will rip off the other tank without FoF or Provoke. That's what you get for making me OT with Sword Oath bitch.