Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 03-05-2015

Alternately I could get off my ass and level these classes so I can just greed whatevs and it's still an upgrade.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 03-05-2015

(03-05-2015, 01:48 AM)Kellach Woods Wrote: Alternately I could get off my ass and level these classes so I can just greed whatevs and it's still an upgrade.

That's what I do on Gogon and it's surprisingly relaxing. Greed on everything, clear instance. If I get something, cool, if I don't, eh. He has everything from it that he needs for his main SCH class, so I'm basically just doing the runs for the weekly. Compare that to Chachan, where I spend those several days doing three or four runs a day for the tanking chest... or last week where the only NIN piece that seemed to want to drop were the gloves I already had.

It's all really frustrating, and doubly so when it takes longer due to idiots, trolls, or people who we have to constantly replace because they bail the moment the piece they wanted didn't drop.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 03-05-2015

Why do you want the tanking chest. You can get the i130 one easy peasy now.

This was before the last update. And it actually has better itemization with its secondary stats. I shouldn't really CARE but... I try to avoid Parry.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 03-05-2015

The WoD tank chest piece is also a nice looking chest piece if you're not interested in the magitek-y aesthetic.

My friends and I were bored after my raid and during CT we became the troll alliance. I'm sorry newbie. Someone decided to pull Bone Dragon to the South so our tank MT'd. DPS wailed on him so hard that I was the only one sorta doing platinals and we had I think all platinals destroy most of the other alliances. I have 6.2k hp and popped manaward. I had <200 hp left. Do platinals. Had our MT take a bunch of the eyes while he was at it. Killed Bone Dragon no wipes.

We didn't pull Atomos and of course C was not ready. So Iron Giant. I miss Return. Really.

What's his name with the pots? We're A so we start the fight and burst everything to get him down to 30% and switch because we knew we couldn't kill him with 4 sec on ghost ; ; But apparently no one who WAS NOT GHOSTED wanted to deal with adds. We finally vote kick the afk WAR who I think DC'd or just decided to leave.

Vassabros? our Whm decides to take laps once someone face pulls so tanks weren't ready to grab. All goes well until 2 alliances don't take their napalms and a shitton of damage goes out. SCH friend in voice chat: "OMFG WHAT HAPPENED WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO ME" Our whm died cause he was too far away in his 2.5 laps.

Behemoth: At the end our whm and a couple of our melee died to behemoth's meteor trying to kill him before they landed. They didn't succeed :^D Voice chat: People are so going "fucking A cause you motherfuckers dead"

Phlegethon: C facepulls him again so that his fucking green aoe cone takes up most of the goddamned circle. Our MT takes him to the middle where he belongs. Replacement tank pops right before walls go up and he'll gets free clear and 7 comms. First claw goes up and no one wants to save me. They do it WHEN THEY COME BACK DURING ANCIENT FLARE. I blow up. "I fucking hate you all." I get rezzed and we zerg him to victory afterwards.

Someone on C who had been posting in alliance chat random stuff that I wasn't paying attention to gets the achievement for clearing.

I shoulda laladrg'd. We were fucking shitters. ...but at least when you fuck around make sure you finish. >.>; We were the bads last night. And I hadn't even had a margarita D:

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Sounsyy - 03-05-2015

WoD really bothers me, because it requires 3 tanks, but you only ever need to have 3 tanks for one fight in the entire dungeon. Most you can get away with 1 or 2 tanks tops, same as ST. Which I think is really where most of the ST-series tank problems come from. You either have nothing to do or you have no incentive to do anything well.

Call me elitist, but that sort of thing really bothers me. If you're not MT, start DPSing. If there are adds that can be tanked, tank them. Do something, but don't half-ass it. And unfortunately it's true of a lot of multi-tank content. There just aren't a lot of fights you need two tanks for, y'know besides the ones that force tank swap mechanic.

So I usually follow a couple simple rules I came up with for multi-tanking content.
1) If you want to MT, say so, or pull first. Otherwise, I'm going. If you call it, it's all yours, I'll swap off Defiance and DPS... unless:
2) You pull with Sword Oath or off-Defiance. I will laugh at you.
3) You do something incredibly weird with your pull/positioning, I'm gonna tank it off of you. And I don't mean with provoke. If a boss cleaves... don't point it at alliance/party. Or my favorite, a tank pulled Five-Headed Dragon in WoD and instead of keeping it in center or moving it to the back... she pulled it to the start of the arena and pointed it inwards, so that it cleaved the entire arena and 23 people were forced to stack right under its tail. No.
4) You are having a really hard time holding hate. I don't care if you're undergeared, but if you can't keep hate off the 23 better geared people in the alliance, I'm sorry, but I'm relieving you of that duty because that boss is running all over the place killing folk. Ain't nobody got time for that.
5) If you are relieved of MT or die, don't try to voke it back off the new MT. You are no longer in hate lead for a reason, all fighting over it will do is spin the mob and get people killed.
6) If there's two WARs in party/alliance. MT WAR is responsible for Butcher's Block and Storm's Path. OT WAR is responsible for Butcher's Block and Storm's Eye. That way both WARs max their damage, buffs don't get overridden, and if MT dies, OT will be in 2nd in hate. Efficiency. MT worries about their own mitigation, and OT just has to worry about maxing damage.

And that's today's vent. Now to go rage in WoD for a few more runs.

Finally moved out of the Novus stage into Nexus on my relic, and got thrown straight into some stupid.

I got into a Darkhold with a REALLY well-geared tank. Like, full poetics/WoD gear with ice axe and a couple other raid trinkets. Cool, we can power-pull and breeze through it, right?

He pulls half the mobs in the first area and tries tanking them outside the light. I tell him to move into the light when he Holmgangs, he asks "Light"? And then promptly dies. As does the DPS. I had moved to the light and somehow managed to keep myself healed with all those mobs on me until he shows up to take them back.

I ask him if it's his first time in here, he said it was. Okay, that's fine. I can explain things. We get through the first boss just fine with some explanations. However, in the next area he tries to mass pull AGAIN, and gets us all killed. I tell him he needs to pull one group at a time and, after an accidental larger pull in the area with the patrolling frogs causes a third wipe, we get through and down the second boss.

Third area? Yup, he tries to pull EVERYTHING. I'm a bit miffed at this point and I say: "Oh hey. You pulled more than one group." And just leave it at that.

He responds that there was no reason why I couldn't keep him healed. So, apparently it's my fault we wiped four times because I should totally be able to heal him tanking more than he can handle. Get through that BS (and the NIN sticking to the last boss even when he's invulnerable, to include putting a LB into him while the crystal was still up) and finish the instance. One commendation, no dungeon atma.

Wee.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 03-05-2015

Because clearly while level-synced you can do that.

There's a difference between realizing you have limits with level-sync and with being bad.

Tank in poetics and novus is in my low level Tam-Tara (joy cause it's better than AV) but yet... he loses agro to me. And the healer. He does one flash and done. GDI I DONT EVEN HIT THE THING UNTIL WELL AFTER HE DID HE ALSO DOES NOT TRANSITION WELL. Does not attack next mob while we hit the previous... and there's full -insert 3 GCDs here- time lapses before he moves on.

I gave up caring that all I was doing was heavy thrust-impulsedrive spam. I just popped defensive cooldowns....all the time.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 03-06-2015

Just reading about this guy who had his girlfriend end up in one of the endgame 50 dungeons in Duty Finder

Tank is using an i35 weapon. When asked why, tank says the other two people challenged him to do it. But she's pulling hate every which way cause she's i129.

GF doesn't want to quite bitch about it to the group so her boyfriend takes over to do it. They tell her they have all the time in the world and she should just deal with it.

They're trolling assholes but nothing you can do but just leave.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Seye Qhesu - 03-06-2015

Dealt with trolls in lota last night.  Boy were they bad. I normally ignore them but I hadn't seen such hate in years.  I ended up leaving very early in saying I would rather go back to RP then to listen to 12 year old call if duty players taking a break and trying an mmo.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 03-07-2015

There's a special place in my i-hate-you list for tanks who spin their mobs around. Especially when they will cleave and I'M FUCKING HEALING YOUR ASS WHO WONT POP COOLDOWNS.

Also, not being able to decide where you will tank the dragons with Midgardsormr in Keeper of the Lake, spinning around and CLEAVING EVERYONE.

When I talk about being efficient, I don't mean taking stupid amounts of unnecessary damage on purpose.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Liandri - 03-07-2015

Doing my relic quest has caused me to resent every pug I will ever encounter in the future.

Highlights of this week thus far:

- A BRD that literally only used heavy shot and flaming arrow. No songs. Nothing.

- A NIN in Tam-Tara HM that thought you could just 'ignore' mechanics on the second boss, and I quote: "no this is what happens when u focus on mecahnics in dungeons" (i.e. an instant wipe because all the orbs hit the lalafell).

- BLM's that just straight up don't know their rotation whatsoever. I've tried giving them advice (this was in lower level dungeons, mind you), and been straight up ignored, or flamed in response.

- Generally, people just going AFK. It's hard to find a good BRD that actually uses any sort of songs these days, and it is making me lose my faith in humanity. I'll be over there, sobbing quietly, I just want my relic finished.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - C'kayah Polaali - 03-07-2015

I just love DPS that consistently pull aggro from the tank - not occasionally, but consistently. We had a LotA with a dragoon that actually ran in to pull the bosses. Honestly, if the WHM (me) is spending more time healing your DPS than they are healing the tank, you're doing it wrong.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - McBeefâ„¢ - 03-07-2015

I think Pugs in this game are actually pretty good, and generally are quite capable of playing their job.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Cliodhna Eoghan - 03-07-2015

(03-07-2015, 04:19 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote: I think Pugs in this game are actually pretty good, and generally are quite capable of playing their job.
i've actually had a lot of really good ones save for a couple of bad tanks here and there....but those were in really low level stuff so it's to be expected. .----. like the gladiator wearing mage gear on half their stuff with no shield....they were open to the suggestions on how to improve their tanking from the other dps that mains a tank so the only frustrating part was trying to keep them alive due to the paper skin