Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 04-01-2015

(04-01-2015, 03:08 AM)Septha Wrote: I found the trial great fun, even did it another 5 times for other folk because I enjoyed it that much. 

You just have to understand that the faster you get rid of the adds with the cannons, the faster you can all dps the boss. It's literally the most fundamental of trials and is seriously key for the run to be successful. I know I make it sound so easy, but co-ordination is key.

Someone didn't Duty Finder the damn thing.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Spethah - 04-01-2015

(04-01-2015, 07:28 AM)Kellach Woods Wrote:
(04-01-2015, 03:08 AM)Septha Wrote: I found the trial great fun, even did it another 5 times for other folk because I enjoyed it that much. 

You just have to understand that the faster you get rid of the adds with the cannons, the faster you can all dps the boss. It's literally the most fundamental of trials and is seriously key for the run to be successful. I know I make it sound so easy, but co-ordination is key.

Someone didn't Duty Finder the damn thing.

First run was a Duty Finder one, thank you. Also did it at midday (Patch started 11am), so no one knew what they were doing. Nailed it down on third try.

Then I did it another 5 times and the premade was less than 4 people. 

All I can say is *~*~COMMUNICATION~*~*

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Sounsyy - 04-01-2015

I liked the trial in that it was a fairly different setup than what we're used to. Very much reminds me of 1.0's hamlet defense. Did it in DF yesterday, about 3 hours after the patch went live. We had one person in there who had been trying to get a complete on the fight for about 2 hours he said and the other 7 of us were brand new. He explained what he could of the fight, we went in, struggled, and wiped with about 45% left first run. Second time we cleaned up mistakes, figured out when to hit the cannon and got the clear.

If it helps, here's some tips.

Tanks, pick sides and gather adds on your side then pull them so that they're under his chest. Best way I found to do this was to just keep moving backwards in between Vyshap's front two feet. You have to be quick to dodge AoEs, but it keeps adds grouped and in a prime location for cannons 100% of the time. When no adds, full dps boss. Also, for tanks, during the Turtle mob that spawns, Stun does affect him, so you can stun his raid-wide AoE he does. Also during the explosives section, pull the adds up to explosive barrels and pop cooldowns. You will survive the blast, the mobs won't fair as well. It seemed to do pretty significant damage to them.

Healers, if you aren't healing the tanks (aka when adds are out in force) cleric and dps the boss. Seriously every little bit counts. Our clear we nailed all three cannons and still came pretty close to hitting the last gate.

DPS, if tanks are stacking correctly and the adds are going down quickly, I'd say full time the boss - barring cannon/harpoon cannon duty. For our group, we waited until Vyshap's front legs were walking out of the orange target to fire and that seemed to hit him every time. For snares, we waiting until just as he starts walking forward again to fire and that seemed successful as well. I was busy trying to maintain adds with no TP so I'm not sure if that's the most efficient way to do it or not but it worked for us.

Hope it helps and good luck on getting the fight down if you haven't already!

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 04-01-2015

I think my biggest issue with the new Trial is that, if you screw up somewhere and know you can't kill Vyshap in time... you have to wait it out. Even if everyone's dead, he will just keep trundling forward until he hits that unskippable cutscene at the end of the bridge. There's no way to "wipe it up" to set up for the next try. You're forced to sit on your thumbs and watch him go.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 04-01-2015

I was mad that to get better queues I went as healer. The fight isn't so intensive that you need two healers to heal the party so I was cleric dancing and on cannons/snare duty.

I watch people talk about good DPS killing him wihout really needing the giantkillers and I'm just like... Why I get no good groups ; ;

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Cato - 04-02-2015

I quite like the new trial. It can be frustrating if something goes awry since success pretty much hinges on the mechanics being adhered to flawlessly but I, for one, find that to be a good thing.

The fight against the Ascian during the previous patch was pretty brutal if people didn't know what they were doing - which again, was refreshing after Shiva (Hard) proved to be fairly simplistic. 

With the new expansion being gated behind everything linked to the current MSQ's then it should hopefully force more players to communicate and get familiar with actually working together in group content.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 04-02-2015

It's sad but if your DPS don't know what they're doing, even doing the mechanics correctly (snares+giantkiller) is not enough to kill Vishap. I have... seen that happen.

The thing is that lots of players are not good with moving boss fights. If I grabbed all the right people I know, you can fail 1 or 2 of the giantkiller mechanics and still beat it. Maybe even before Vishap makes it to the final gate.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Flashhelix - 04-02-2015

trying to get SoF clear for a friend
BLM says they know timing for dragonkillers
we let them take dragonkillers
they miss all dragonkillers
turns out they didn't know the timing for dragonkillers
call them out
say it's our fault for not calling out when to use them
we say that's the opposite of knowing the timing
stops doing anything and spams pchat calling us trolls
dismissed

[Image: 26b365ce0b.gif]

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 04-02-2015

(04-02-2015, 03:44 PM)Flashhelix Wrote: trying to get SoF clear for a friend
call them out
dismissed

I am haiku inspired~

Trial Clear for Friend;
Black Mage says he knows the fight.
Doesn't. Trolls. Dismissed.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Flashhelix - 04-02-2015

(04-02-2015, 03:49 PM)Gegenji Wrote:
call them out
dismissed

I am haiku inspired~

Trial Clear for Friend;
Black Mage says he knows the fight.
Doesn't. Trolls. Dismissed.

I have another

pug Ramuh E-X
NIN can't stop fucking dying
twenty fucking wipes

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 04-02-2015

call them out
dismissed

If it's the run I did with you, we ended up clearing it on the last possible attempt after you bailed.

I... still don't fucking know how we did it. Other tank was a dumbass but it just went under the radar.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Telluride - 04-05-2015

The Dragon Killers are poorly named, though. Might as well call them Dragon Ticklers, for how little damage they truly do.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 04-06-2015

Gotta avoid DR Trials like the fucking plague because ALL THERE IS IS FUCKING STEPS AND STEPS SUCKS ASSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

I will automatically abandon any DR Trial that ends up on Steps. For sure. 30 minutes wait until requeuing is NOTHING compared to repair bills and 90 minutes of wanting to strangle everyone on the fucking server.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Qhora Bajihri - 04-06-2015

I did trial roulette recently for the first time in a long time and got The Chrysalis, actually. What? I forgot that was even a thing. It was also a nightmare that used up the entire time allotted without completion. I do believe I will also avoid trial roulettes for the future again. Eesh.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - ArmachiA - 04-06-2015

I did Steps of Faith once in DF with a friend on mine and it went really bad, so after that I gathered a bunch of guildies and we one shotted it. Then I dragged other people in who needed it with said guildies. No one should have to suffer bad SoF. When it's good, it's SO FUN, but when it's bad it just a frustrating experience all around.