Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - BroodingFicus - 07-04-2015

Trying to get your last level to 50 on an alt WHM in Northern Than but thanks to the high level farming horde going on, everything dies too quickly for you to get better than bronze. When its not lagging so badly everything dies before your casts even go off of course. *fumes quietly in a corner while doing leves instead*

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Nebbs - 07-04-2015

(07-04-2015, 10:11 PM)BroodingFicus Wrote: Trying to get your last level to 50 on an alt WHM in Northern Than but thanks to the high level farming horde going on, everything dies too quickly for you to get better than bronze. When its not lagging so badly everything dies before your casts even go off of course. *fumes quietly in a corner while doing leves instead*

Are you trying to solo? If so join a fate group and it does okay, it is really crowded atm, but we are getting the XP.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - BroodingFicus - 07-04-2015

(07-04-2015, 10:16 PM)Nebbs Wrote:
(07-04-2015, 10:11 PM)BroodingFicus Wrote: Trying to get your last level to 50 on an alt WHM in Northern Than but thanks to the high level farming horde going on, everything dies too quickly for you to get better than bronze. When its not lagging so badly everything dies before your casts even go off of course. *fumes quietly in a corner while doing leves instead*

Are you trying to solo? If so join a fate group and it does okay, it is really crowded atm, but we are getting the XP.

Attempted to. However just about every time a fate party opened up it would immediately fill *shrug*. Even then I'd be just dead weight because whm cast times are so long even with buffs that I only got like six hits in on Chimera before he was dead. With small mobs I can barely get of one instant Aero. Its making this last level drag horribly. XD Wish they would buff the high level stuff to get 50+ players out of there a bit more.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Edda - 07-04-2015

(07-04-2015, 10:21 PM)BroodingFicus Wrote: Attempted to. However just about every time a fate party opened up it would immediately fill *shrug*. Even then I'd be just dead weight because whm cast times are so long even with buffs that I only got like six hits in on Chimera before he was dead. With small mobs I can barely get of one instant Aero. Its making this last level drag horribly. XD Wish they would buff the high level stuff to get 50+ players out of there a bit more.
Keep trying to get into Fate parties if you can. Party Finder first, if that doesn't work, ask in shout until you find one. As a WHM in Fate parties your best bet is to just spam aero on as many mobs as you can so you can "tag" the Fate, and receive credit. Participation in a Fate is determined by how much threat you and your party generates, not how many adds you manage to kill, so throw out a few aeros and spam medica/medica II to increase your threat. Your party members should be doing their share too, so unless something goes horribly wrong, gold is pretty much guaranteed.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Klynzahr - 07-05-2015

(07-04-2015, 10:21 PM)BroodingFicus Wrote:
(07-04-2015, 10:16 PM)Nebbs Wrote:

Attempted to. However just about every time a fate party opened up it would immediately fill *shrug*. Even then I'd be just dead weight because whm cast times are so long even with buffs that I only got like six hits in on Chimera before he was dead. With small mobs I can barely get of one instant Aero. Its making this last level drag horribly. XD Wish they would buff the high level stuff to get 50+ players out of there a bit more.

You will also get Holy at level 45, which makes the remaining levels into facerolling goodness. Cool

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - cuideag - 07-07-2015

Dear Paladin That Was Too Busy Getting "Talked At By Roomates" To Actually Tank,

I had high hopes for us, you know. You, short and handsome in your cute little tin can suit. Me, tall and dressed like I'm about to go to Renn Fair. We were meant to be good together.

But I need somebody who can do more than just 1-2-3 their way through a dungeon and hope they don't end up with their face on the floor. I need a tank - a real tank - that can make me feel special, someone I can do some damage with because they can stay alive without a heal for more than 5 seconds.

We can't keep going on like this.

... well, I can, but I'm the one with the heals.

This is goodbye.

love,
cuideag

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Aaron - 07-10-2015

This was probably my fault in all honesty but at the same time the after result is something I just felt the need to vent about. /gets on soapbox.

So, im sure there's always those times someone in a raid fucks up and generally creates some wild excuse as to why. I'll admit I've did that one blue moons, HOWEVER I generally am a person that will flat out admit when I genuinely fuck up. Hell I'll even diss myself for it to ease up the incoming hate id be ready to recieve.

HOWEVER this annoyed me below to the extreme. 

I question for Bismarck Ex, boom party filled up and we dived in. Now, before this continues let it be known we made it to the last phase TWICE BEFORE with ZERO problems on my part be it aggro or dodging aoes, hell I even stuck with the remaining add while everyone rushed to dps down Moby Dick.

Third go is where shit starts hitting the fan. It was always with the green and blue snakes too. My dog, as many have probably seen I in fact actually own a dog and aren't making this up if they saw the real life pictures thread,  came running into the room right as the twin dragon things pop up. I initially ignore him, first thing he does is jump /into/ my lap making me hit the wrong button on my controller causing me to switch to a empty hotbar with nothing attached. As I frantically try to get my shit together as quick as possible (being a tank) the blue Dragon I was GOING to grab runs over and proceeds to kill everyone 1 by 1 before I could grab it, the tornado that also blindsided half the party didn't help either.

Ok, I inevitably hear ". . . Aaron?" Im prepared for this. I tell them my dog jumped in my lap and messed me up.

"Lol never heard that before. Whatever" <- from the bard that consistently dies.

"It's never the dogs fault." <- right because I swiftly brought you to the last phase twice over before with 0 problem and now all of a sudden youre implying im inefficient at tanking. 

Whatever,  we start over. 1st thing to go wrong is a certain healer forgets about the shield generator. I don't say anything, because shit happens. Im doing quite alright till the snakes drop again (surprise.) I can't however move the dog off from around me or anything because the fights so fast paced and they already pulled before I had the chance to say "WAIT let me move my dog" and typing on a PS4 controller something longer than a word in something like Bismarck Ex is a real bad idea. So I don't whine, I deal.

Snakes pop again. Im ready. But what's this, before I so much as have time to grab the add (literally popped not even a second before) it was suddenly targeted someone who just did perhaps their strongest move on the damn thing. I know because I couldn't get the aggro back with one hit. That dude also managed to run WITH the hate to the other side instead of near me so im here chasing him trying to save his fuck up when then thing casts the debuff.

OH SHIT THE DEBUFFING BUT GUESS WHAT? I just bail and let him die because fuck it, I need to provoke the other add of the tank. Long story short everything fails and we wipe due to debuff madness and these tornadoes raping the board as we all frantically scrambled around. Im sure at least 6/8 people was hit with one. Including me because I was more focused on the add rampaging than the tornado about to blindside me.

"Aaron why did you stay on him so long?" The concerned tank says. This guy seemed cool so I didn't mind him. Infact he was pretty chill all throughout.

I just think about explaining I literally gave up time the thing cast the debuffing. Should I tell the party that one dps fucked up? Nah ima just eat the blame. Im pretty level headed with accepting negative stuff. The other tank didn't seem to be mad.

We try again. Snakes drop and THIS TIME I admit that was probably my fault. Dog starts getting in my face after I kicked him off looking like hes about to pissed himself. He then starts clawing at my arm yanking the controller with it causing me to die.

Ok! I admitted that was my fault. I even said "-I- can't do this anymore my dogs gotta go. -Drop- me." Do note,  the first two times I had no issues. Third time it wasn't my fault but in fact just that endgame mechanic troll that fucks everyone over but I ate that one. The /last/ time it was my fault and I admitted it without hesitation. But that old tank hate comes from one of the people. 

"Lol whatever you just suck." <- not exact words but ill take that. I simply said ok. Im gonna start pointing out every fuck up I see in groups now and start having the expectation that when you hit "commence" for a raid any outside force even if god himself burns your house down that it is your fault NOOBS and you need to get better.

I could understand if I fucked up every run and it was apparent I was the problem to say im bad, but when out of 4 runs the first TWO I basically was on point PLUS the fact the third time wasn't even my fault really but just bad luck ticking as a dps hit the add. I hardly think you have enough evidence to assume im making shit up to save face.

I guess this is what I get for just absorbing the hate to keep drama down though.

Im not really even mad, it just felt like my tanking rep took a big hit for no reason. 

Fuck it tomorrow ima be back in PF looking for that clear. But curious, do you guys think it was my fault? A yes or no would suffice and I wont argue it. Just want to see if in fact I should've did something different.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Cailean Lockwood - 07-10-2015

This is just me whining, because it's a tiny little thing and I understand why it is a thing.

I am house-sitting this weekend, and I was trying to log into the game when this warning pops up that my account is currently restricted due to me trying to login on an unfamiliar wifi.

Again, I can understand why they do that, but it's just so annoying that I have to go in and change my password every time I go and play someplace else outside of my own wifi. :/

/whine

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Melkire - 07-10-2015

(07-10-2015, 03:05 PM)Vachir Crimsonborn Wrote: This is just me whining, because it's a tiny little thing and I understand why it is a thing.

I am house-sitting this weekend, and I was trying to log into the game when this warning pops up that my account is currently restricted due to me trying to login on an unfamiliar wifi.

Again, I can understand why they do that, but it's just so annoying that I have to go in and change my password every time I go and play someplace else outside of my own wifi. :/

/whine

Security tokens solve this issue, or so I'm told... but then you have other issues such as "what if I lose my token?"

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 07-10-2015

(07-10-2015, 03:05 PM)Vachir Crimsonborn Wrote: This is just me whining, because it's a tiny little thing and I understand why it is a thing.

/whine

You really should get the one time password.

Edit:
Quote:Security tokens solve this issue, or so I'm told... but then you have other issues such as "what if I lose my token?"
This isn't really an issue. It's really PEBKAC. Make sure you save the emergency removal password they give you. If it dies, calling support during hours will give you the fix as long as you've done everything legit (name, DOB, etc)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Unnamed Mercenary - 07-10-2015

(07-10-2015, 03:07 PM)Kage Wrote:

/whine

You really should get the one time password.

Edit:
Quote:Security tokens solve this issue, or so I'm told... but then you have other issues such as "what if I lose my token?"
This isn't really an issue. It's really PEBKAC. Make sure you save the emergency removal password they give you. If it dies, calling support during hours will give you the fix as long as you've done everything legit (name, DOB, etc)

^basically the above. Security tokens are GREAT if you travel around a lot. It'll let you keep the same password.

On the other hand, it can be very annoying if you're getting disconnected frequently. ...or format your phone. Or lose your phone, etc. Definitely save the emergency removal key. ...like, on your phone, in dropbox/google drive/email/printed on paper, etc.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Dis - 07-11-2015

Dear Group in Aurum Vale tonight,

When I tell you to target the Seedlings first, I mean the Seedlings first.  When I died a second time from having 8+ Stacks of Burr on me, and the healer couldn't rez because of running, because she didn't think Swiftcast was important enough, I decided I was done.

Regards,

The tank who dropped a group for the first time ever, and hates you all for it.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Nero - 07-11-2015

As I run The Arm of the Father--or A3, as it's known--for the eighth or ninth time attempting to get a token for the gloves, only to roll another number below 20, a curious thought fluttered its way through my head in the same way that a semi-truck going one hundred and twenty kilometres per hour with a severed brake line flutters through a traffic jammed freeway.

So, Square Enix. We--or rather, I--have been asking, for a while, for a token system for loot. The reason I've been asking because while RNG is rewarding on very rare occasions, most of the time all it does is reduce the experience to a tiresome slog wherein a player's efforts for playing the content is rewarded with absolutely none of the things they wanted, and more often than not things they can't even use. A token system wherein a token is a guaranteed reward at completion that can be used to purchase select pieces of loot depending on the content that is completed--like tomestones but less prevalent and more specialized--sounds lovely.

And you graciously listened. "We're implementing a token system," you said. And oh, though your information was vague I made the foolish assumption that you knew what you were doing. How I rejoiced. Oh, how I praised you. At last! A token system! No more suffering through RNG. The grind might be there, true, but at least that grind would have meaning! Players would be rewarded for the simple act of playing the game by receiving the things they wanted, or at the very least definite, unambiguous progress towards the things they wanted! All was well.

Not so.

Let's imagine the conversation that hypothetically took place between Developer A, who we'll assign the humble, wholesome name of Matthew for the sake of convenience, and Developer B, who we will also assign the name of Pissant for the sake of convenience.

Matthew: "The players would like a token system for loot because they're tired of RNG. Let's implement a token system."
Pissant: "Okay! Let's make the token an item where they'll have to roll for it!"
Matthew: "Erm...no, I was thinking it would be more of a guaranteed drop."
Pissant: "Okay, the token drop is guaranteed, as long as they have to roll for it!"
Matthew: "Okay, also, why don't we make it so all the classes can use the token so players don't have to grind for specific drops that may only be seen rarely?"
Pissant: "Okay! That way more players will have to roll for it and thus the chances of an individual player winning the drop will be reduced!"
Matthew: "No, didn't you hear me? The point of tokens is to remove the factor of RNG from loot so that the act of completing content feels more rewarding."
Pissant: "I hear you, and I agree! So when are we rolling out this system which only solves half of the issue of RNG loot and exacerbates the other half?"

Then Matthew begins to hide under his desk and contemplate his life choices and Pissant begins to sing "What A Wonderful World" off key.

As I enter The Burden of the Father again for the eleventh time, hoping for a chest piece token that I am unlikely to win, I perfectly understand that I don't really have any right to be miffed about this. First and foremost, Square Enix is a company, and as a company their main goal is profit, and with an MMO the main way to secure that profit is with these kinds of skinner box mechanics meant to drag out subscription fees for as long as possible. I get that. Really. I'm still here, playing the game and paying for it, so despite my bitching, Square Enix wins.

But really.

You couldn't have made the duty finder drops guaranteed?

You couldn't have given us that much?

I know and understand why you did it. Everyone would knock out what they needed on a single day in a week and then nobody would be playing the content. So yeah. Guaranteed drops for every member of the party are a pipe dream. Really, I get it.

But RNG. You just had to foist RNG upon us. Sure, you reduced the problem by removing the concept of individual drops, so players don't have to worry about even seeing the piece they want, let alone winning the roll for it. But then after taking that step forward you immediately took another step back by making the tokens useable by everyone but still making everyone roll and compete for it.

I am now on attempt #7 of Fist of the Father. Nevermind the other wings. I have yet to win the piece I would like.

And I know. I'm the one inflicting the grind on myself. I'm the one who feels compelled to do something that annoys me. I'm whining about nothing. I absolutely 100% acknowledge every single thing wrong with the point I'm trying to espouse.

But this is the goddamn vent thread and RNG is NOT the way to extend the relevance of content, because it makes me feel like shit.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 07-11-2015

"You will receive 40 extra Tomestones of Law as there is one or more players who have not completed this instance." SWEEEEEEET.

WHM is new. Eh, whatever.

WHM never asks for information. ...

WHM gets knocked off platform on last boss of Neverreap. WHY DIDN'T YOU ASK?

#lessonlearnedlol (verbatim what they said)

WHM gets knocked off platform on last boss of Neverreap. I THOUGHT THIS WAS LESSON LEARNED.

WHM gets knocked of platform on last boss of Neverreap. FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

DRG uses LB1, kills last boss. Thank you, you da real MVP.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Steel Wolf - 07-12-2015

So I finally got my Bismarck clear last night. I just need to bitch about how much I despise coordination fights. At least with PUGs anyway. I know I pretty much brought it on myself, but at the same time....just....awgh.

Worse than missing one's assignment, though, is the lack of commitment and conviction by some. Ragequits and vote abandons and blame-gaming...just, knuckle down, pick up and give it another swing. Everyone wiped...and because you wanna be a little fussbudget, now everyone has to wait for another try. Because you lack the freaking mettle to eat a loss and move forward again.

Failure. Is. An. Option.

You bitches.

(not anyone here, mind, just in general....y'know)