Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Leggerless - 07-19-2015

To describe my experiences with RNG and fishing in a nutshell:

"Oh boy, I can't wait to get my HQ catkiller today!" (This is for the 60 class quest)

*Throws first cast of the day in the water*

"Sweet I got somethin--"

*The fish broke your bladed steel jig*

"Damn. 40k gil. Just gone like that."

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Cato - 07-19-2015

So, uh, tempered will is meant to prevent knockback effects. Someone should tell those Vanu Vanu that appear during the Bismarck fight.
>_>

I got knocked off the island - as the tank - which was very embarassing because I assumed that it'd protect me.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Cailean Lockwood - 07-21-2015

I gave into my altitis and changed my character... and I regret it now.
I AM WEAK!!! *sobs in corner*

Gonna change him back tomorrow. Waste of money. I could kick myself in the head.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 07-22-2015

DRG who is 58 in Qarn Normal mode never using Heavy Thrust but in a party where 1 person has already gotten to Ishgard (AST) and a Tank who has multiple 50s, and no new person message... Asks before every single boss fight "Wait... everyone know the fight? Smile "

How about... not letting final sting go off cause your DPS is shit cause YOU DON'T PUT UP HEAVY THRUST? I HAVE A QUESTION. WHY DO YOU NOT HAVE HEAVY THRUST UP?!

Also, to MNK who just "got distracted" and let people die in the Sable Price of Aery Last Boss. :/ We nearly wiped cause of you. Cause I was dead.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Cato - 07-22-2015

Did you offer the DRG constructive feedback? As for the MNK, that's unfortunate but if he was genuinely apologetic I see no reason to hold it against him. Life happens - there's been a few times when I've been doing a dungeon and then had to unexpectedly look away or leave for a couple of minutes.

Sometimes the phone rings, or someone knocks on the door. Sometimes my cat jumps on my keyboard...

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 07-22-2015

Speaking of troublesome DRGs...

Hey DRG in the pre-made A2-A4 Farm run (that never got further than 3 runs into A2, by the by)... if we had to hold up three times for solid lengths of time for you, one of which you deciding unlocking Savage was more important than starting the run, then you really don't get to try and demand getting your drop - nor do you get to complain when you don't get it. I and one other person (one of the drops was a failed loot because no one needed - a pedal, I think) didn't get our drops either and we didn't complain.

... I held off my complaining until I had done over six/seven runs of A2 without getting a lens. Laugh

(Got it in the end, though, on run 10ish. Got my crank in A3 two runs later. Just need a spring in A4 and I'll have some i190 legs too~)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - LadyRochester - 07-22-2015

So today I stumbled upon this gem:
[Image: gk7adqw.png]

Just remember these people are at level 60. Let that sink in.

(07-22-2015, 09:25 AM)Graeham Wrote: Did you offer the DRG constructive feedback? As for the MNK, that's unfortunate but if he was genuinely apologetic I see no reason to hold it against him. Life happens - there's been a few times when I've been doing a dungeon and then had to unexpectedly look away or leave for a couple of minutes.

Sometimes the phone rings, or someone knocks on the door. Sometimes my cat jumps on my keyboard...
Or sometimes the MNK does the DPS thing where they tunnel-vision. I watched from my little vantage point in the air as they did their positionals while trying to move around 240 degrees on the dragon... I know the cat deal often enough. It was obvious the monk had some things up though. Constantly stopped moving throughout the entire dungeon.

I contemplated asking the DRG if they would take it but I've only recently had one tank out of 5 take my healing while running in battle asking "take the dragon add closer/further away from boss" in Keeper well. It's come in "move add further" or "move add closer" "please move further" "please move closer" multiple times. One of the tanks actually pitched a fit and I ended up reporting him because he also purposely cleaved me and the party multiple times that I got interrupted while healing that we died. He decided to harass us into vote kicking him to avoid the penalty that I reported him.

I contemplated reporting the dumbass Warrior in my first A1 run. Yes, it's true that our dps was sloppy and horrible. But what dumbnut actually says "my parse says the dps is bad, only one person has 1000 dps" etc? It was my first time, I had said that, and I was given grief for having Eos out. Specifically, when i asked the tank if they were going to just stand there all day or actually do the dungeon they signed up for. "I can't help DPS dps more. I can't help a SCH who doesn't use the right fairy to boost."
I'm sorry I am new and prefer to focus on healing and making sure we don't wipe to just having heal issues. Also, if we die to enrage on Faust because of bad dps, 3% will not do shit. Yeah we're going to wipe to enrage. Either take your goddamned penalty or do the dungeon.

@Rochester: Lol I saw that gem in reddit today.
Edited to add to Rochester's post:
[Image: eDwXh9N.png]
This is the parse of that battle.
This... is essentially how -not- to BRD and I hope that this BRD is able to find someone to coach them on how to BRD.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Sounsyy - 07-22-2015

(07-22-2015, 11:03 AM)Kage Wrote: @Rochester: Lol I saw that gem in reddit today.
This... is essentially how -not- to BRD and I hope that this BRD is able to find someone to coach them on how to BRD.

That... parse... what... why... aagh... my braaaaain. I can't even.
This guy needs to be learned some things. <_< How is that parse even possible?

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - -no longer matters- - 07-22-2015

(07-22-2015, 11:03 AM)Kage Wrote:
(07-22-2015, 09:25 AM)Graeham Wrote: Did you offer the DRG constructive feedback? As for the MNK, that's unfortunate but if he was genuinely apologetic I see no reason to hold it against him. Life happens - there's been a few times when I've been doing a dungeon and then had to unexpectedly look away or leave for a couple of minutes.

Or sometimes the MNK does the DPS thing where they tunnel-vision. I watched from my little vantage point in the air as they did their positionals while trying to move around 240 degrees on the dragon... I know the cat deal often enough. It was obvious the monk had some things up though. Constantly stopped moving throughout the entire dungeon.

I contemplated asking the DRG if they would take it but I've only recently had one tank out of 5 take my healing while running in battle asking "take the dragon add closer/further away from boss" in Keeper well. It's come in "move add further" or "move add closer" "please move further" "please move closer" multiple times. One of the tanks actually pitched a fit and I ended up reporting him because he also purposely cleaved me and the party multiple times that I got interrupted while healing that we died. He decided to harass us into vote kicking him to avoid the penalty that I reported him.

I contemplated reporting the dumbass Warrior in my first A1 run. Yes, it's true that our dps was sloppy and horrible. But what dumbnut actually says "my parse says the dps is bad, only one person has 1000 dps" etc? It was my first time, I had said that, and I was given grief for having Eos out. Specifically, when i asked the tank if they were going to just stand there all day or actually do the dungeon they signed up for. "I can't help DPS dps more. I can't help a SCH who doesn't use the right fairy to boost."
I'm sorry I am new and prefer to focus on healing and making sure we don't wipe to just having heal issues. Also, if we die to enrage on Faust because of bad dps, 3% will not do shit. Yeah we're going to wipe to enrage. Either take your goddamned penalty or do the dungeon.

@Rochester: Lol I saw that gem in reddit today.
You know I don't know if the parsers only do your self, if they do fine, but first time someone pulls out a parse on me (being a tank.) and bitches about dps, or complains about someones dps who is trying they get added to my block list and I bail on the party, and I'll report the person using it.... Parsers are my one major pet peeve it fosters elitism, and at this time isn't allowed in the game, if it was allowed and supported I'd just have to bite my tongue and roll my eyes.

*edit* - Sorry this is a subject i get all rawr about. I meant no offense to anyone.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Aaron - 07-22-2015

Lmao that quick nock though.

It's an example of someone never actually having learned the job they decided to play. If he was in a static, the group would see this parse, see what is being used. If they go to the DPS and ask "can we help you get better" this is exactly the tool to use.

It's sorta how you see "Ice" Black mages or black mages using weird "rotations".

You can get by in WoD with 23 other people etc with these numbers because others will do better and make up for it. Not knowing your rotation is how tanks in CT line will see that they do more damage than the dps.

I've been told auto-attack does more than this... >.>

(07-22-2015, 11:53 AM)Sounsyy Wrote:
(07-22-2015, 11:03 AM)Kage Wrote: @Rochester: Lol I saw that gem in reddit today.

That... parse... what... why... aagh... my braaaaain. I can't even.
This guy needs to be learned some things. <_< How is that parse even possible?
Definitely a case of either a) Not trying or B) not ever having learned the job. Though c) Not even knowing how damage works in this game is also a good idea.
I'm fairly sure this is one of those types who have either just got through the game without raiding (aka dungeons and CT only lines), or was carried or bought their way if they raided.
Sub 400 DPS for a Bard is what? T5 when there was barely echo at i90?

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Telluride - 07-23-2015

(07-19-2015, 06:59 PM)Leggerless Wrote: To describe my experiences with RNG and fishing in a nutshell:

"Oh boy, I can't wait to get my HQ catkiller today!" (This is for the 60 class quest)

*Throws first cast of the day in the water*

"Sweet I got somethin--"

*The fish broke your bladed steel jig*

"Damn. 40k gil. Just gone like that."

This is gonna devolve into a rant, but I ain't ashamed. It's the Vent thread. That's what it's for.

If gathering wasn't already a pain...

New Red Scrip stuff hit this morning. I go to check it out.

First thing I notice is that Adamantite is listed as a collectible for Red Scrips, and if you haven't unlocked a folklore node, it's the ONLY one you can get. I won't even get into the gut-ache that I had when I realized how much of a face-slapping grind these red scrips things are going to be, with how few you get for your effort and how many you need to be able to turn them in...

But this really got on my nerves. Miners really only have a few profitable ores in the Heavensward content (the market has bottomed out HARD for a lot of stuff), and Adamantite was just about the most stable one; I've tried putting up some of the folklore node items up for sale over the past week, and the market for those has hit the ground hard, too. I told myself, well, I can still get Adamantite, and that ain't bad. But making THIS ore a collectible? So, now, miners have to choose between harvesting this useful ore, or risking the entire harvest on collectability. Plus, the slight jacking up of the collectibility margin from 450 to 470 doesn't sound like much, but it really is more than it sounds, and a couple of bad rolls (unless your perception is sky-freaking high - mine is currently 637 without foods) means that your adamantite harvest is wasted. You got nothing - no useable ore, no useable collectible. You got literal trash. Cuprite was like this for blue scrips, but that was the point - Cuprite WASN'T really a marketable ore in and of itself.

I sense those of you who are Crafters rolling your eyes and saying, "Welcome to Our World." That's actually the point that I'll be getting at.

This may, in the short term, increase the price of Adamantite, but who's going to benefit from this, really? Blacksmiths who are buying the ore won't - they may have to pay more for it. Miners really aren't, because it's going to be the same game of cat and mouse markets - I can either make a few gil off the ore, or HOPE I can score a collectible... and one collectible piece of Adamantite ore gives 8 Red Scrips. You need 50 of these scrips to get ONE token, and 26 tokens PLUS one more high-value collectible to exchange for ONE piece of the high-tier craft gear.

So, what's the problem?

The previous collectible ores didn't really have market value - they were meant to be collectibles.

Even you crafters, again, who are saying, "Welcome to our world of pain and randomness and blown gil", consider this for a moment. Many of you depend on your gathering skills to make money to spend on your craft skill leveling, so this affects you, too.

What we have here now is TWICE as much chance for FFXIV's already evil RNG to screw people over:

1) Hit node, swap to collectible node.
2) Hope to get a good RNG luck if you use any skill besides Methodical Appraisal.
3) Hope you can still harvest the collectible (95% chance? You folks know what THAT means with the RNG...)

And if you fail, nothing.

Crafters, sound familiar? It should. It means that, if this continues as a trend, that if more useful, in-demand materials become collectibles, gatherers have to play the same game you do, instead of being the thing-to-do that you used to do to make gil for crafting. I don't know how this will affect BTN yet, but I can guess it will be similar.

I mean, I come to this game expecting grind, but damn, there's a reason I'm not a crafter. So, now, as a Miner, I, too, have to sacrifice hundreds of thousands, potentially millions, of gil, to advance in it, in lost profitable ores. With the old system, if you were harvesting a node needed to get trade-ins for gear, you knew you couldn't really sell what you were gathering, anyway, so no big deal. That Umbral Rock node? I can't sell the ore, so I only hit it when I wanted to advance towards a better main hand item.

I get that this Red Scrip system is DESIGNED to keep us grinding for at least a YEAR to get the better gear, but, damn.

TL;DR: Dear Gatherers - Yoshi P. is tired of you having it easy and wants you to put up with the same RNG crap and gil-sinking that your Crafter brethren have tolerated since 1.0. Please look forward to it.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Sounsyy - 07-23-2015

(07-23-2015, 10:14 AM)Telluride Wrote: TL;DR: Dear Gatherers - Yoshi P. is tired of you having it easy and wants you to put up with the same RNG crap and gil-sinking that your Crafter brethren have tolerated since 1.0. Please look forward to it.

/mains FSH. /has always dealt with horrid RNG and gil-sinking for little to no return.

On the subject: 71/450 Red Gatherers' Scrips.
Please end the suffering.

Also, the new bait for these Red Scrips collectible fish... you can only buy with Blue Gatherers' Scrips. Spent 180 Blue Scrips today alone. Beginning to wonder if just using Stonefly Nymphs and praying for that mooch would be more cost efficient in the end. Probably.

/bangs head on desk.
The Heavensward To Do List is growing...
-Cap Esoterics for 9 Weeks to get WAR set.
-Cap Esoterics longer for BRD set.
-Cap Red Gatherers' Scrips for 9 weeks to get FSH set.
-Continue capping Red Gatherers' Scrips for longer because you need the other sets too.
-Get BAL Sounsyy to Heavensward content... sometime? Maybe?
-Still all those classes to level to 60.
-Cry, if you get time for it.
-You used to have a real life? I think.
-RP?

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Olofantur - 07-23-2015

I love new people, they're usually very willing to listen to advice so long as you present it in a kind and offering manner.

"Not sure if you've tried it but ____ works pretty good, especially with ____"

The ones that get me are the content rushers who get a character to 50, then go back to level another class and have their skivvies in such a knot that anyone who doesn't play at their same break neck speeds is just the worst thing since polio.

The one that really gets me going is the "Don't tell me ____ I have a class at 50" stuff or "well i've been playing since ___"

just.. just ARRRRGGGHHHH
[Image: Fc37SHe.jpg]

inevitably when I retort with A. time does not equate with expertise, i've been playing the game since the beta for 1.0 and i'm still learning stuff and B. Just acknowledge you made a mistake and/or were being lazy, its not a big deal, just be mindful. They have that knee-jerk "oh you must be some no life loser." remark.

Yup, everyone who plays less/less seriously than you is a casual, and everyone who plays more/more seriously is a no life loser, well aren't you just the pinnacle of the human fuckin' species boy-o.