Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 08-30-2015

(08-30-2015, 12:07 PM)Graeham Wrote: My experiences as a tank have generally been positive, even in random groups. I get the occasional bad group, yes, but it's not a constant issue. Though anybody considering a career as a tank - or a healer - needs to develop a thick skin if only to shield them whenever they do get a bad group.
I might have had a few gripes here and there but I am much happier doing dungeons as a tank than I do with healing. Pretty happy with my tanking experience.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Ashe - 08-30-2015

1. When I get into  SoF on trial roulette and people just leave. I did that shit when it was still hard. Get over you damn PTSD and just do it! That shit can be finished without dragonkillers now >.< (but I'm always on DKs...don't you dare try to take it from me. I DON'T TRUST YOU!!!)

2.  People who can't finish Chrysalis. Just give up on everything. Please.

3.  MCHs. I see a MCH in the party and the second they use that knockback move when it's not needed I leave. YOU DON'T HAVE AGGRO. YOU DON'T NEED TO MESS UP THE MELEE DPS BECAUSE YOU'RE STUPID.

4. When I do Leveling roulette as my Black Mage, get library, everyone else is 59 and I'm 60, no item level sync and just wrecking shit and pulling aggro and people wonder why. I'm i185 and you're i140 at best. Do the math!

5. MCHs.

6. Ninjas who a) don't use DoTs and b) complain about their rotation. You don't know the struggle until you're a black mage and nothing makes sense anymore >.< I finished HW twice because I was avoiding youuuuu /cry

7. In Alex normal when people pretend they know the mechanics when they don't. "Oh, I'll take .5 too!" adds spawn, I'm BLM tanking shit at this point, you let me die because you aren't paying attention...we wipe. We explain mechanics to you. Repeat this five times and then you go "Why is no one explaining the mechanics to me boo hoo"...shut up omg >.<

8. DRGs and MCHs.

9. MCHs.

Sorry, I know there are good MCHs out there but you never end up in my PUG groups.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Korin - 08-30-2015

(08-30-2015, 03:22 PM)Ashe Wrote: 7. In Alex normal when people pretend they know the mechanics when they don't. "Oh, I'll take .5 too!" adds spawn, I'm BLM tanking shit at this point, you let me die because you aren't paying attention...we wipe. We explain mechanics to you. Repeat this five times and then you go "Why is no one explaining the mechanics to me boo hoo"...shut up omg >.<

Alex Normal when you're tanking and the DPS aren't doing their job, but all you can do is watch them flail about and kill all four alarums in the wrong places.

You'd think the first part would be the easiest, wouldn't you...? *sobs*

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - mongi291 - 08-30-2015

(08-30-2015, 03:22 PM)Ashe Wrote: 1. When I get into  SoF on trial roulette and people just leave. I did that shit when it was still hard. Get over you damn PTSD and just do it! That shit can be finished without dragonkillers now >.< (but I'm always on DKs...don't you dare try to take it from me. I DON'T TRUST YOU!!!)

2.  People who can't finish Chrysalis. Just give up on everything. Please.

3.  MCHs. I see a MCH in the party and the second they use that knockback move when it's not needed I leave. YOU DON'T HAVE AGGRO. YOU DON'T NEED TO MESS UP THE MELEE DPS BECAUSE YOU'RE STUPID.

4. When I do Leveling roulette as my Black Mage, get library, everyone else is 59 and I'm 60, no item level sync and just wrecking shit and pulling aggro and people wonder why. I'm i185 and you're i140 at best. Do the math!

5. MCHs.

6. Ninjas who a) don't use DoTs and b) complain about their rotation. You don't know the struggle until you're a black mage and nothing makes sense anymore >.< I finished HW twice because I was avoiding youuuuu /cry

7. In Alex normal when people pretend they know the mechanics when they don't. "Oh, I'll take .5 too!" adds spawn, I'm BLM tanking shit at this point, you let me die because you aren't paying attention...we wipe. We explain mechanics to you. Repeat this five times and then you go "Why is no one explaining the mechanics to me boo hoo"...shut up omg >.<

8. DRGs and MCHs.

9. MCHs.

Sorry, I know there are good MCHs out there but you never end up in my PUG groups.
Keep in mind it's not only a knockback, but a damaging oGCD, too, so it's DPS increase for them. So a Machinist hellbent on their rotation WILL use it on CD.
I would have preferred something like Repelling Shot anyway, but we're stuck with that.
(I picked MCH up today please don't hate me >_<)

(08-30-2015, 03:30 PM)Korin Wrote: Alex Normal when you're tanking and the DPS aren't doing their job, but all you can do is watch them flail about and kill all four alarums in the wrong places.

Can "Alex Normal" just be a thing in general haha? 
Trust me, it's bad for DPS who do know what their doing and then it's those one or two people who don't and then just conveniently don't say anything like "oh, it'll work out" that screw over the ones who do and then everyone gets mad and then it all goes to hell then vote abandon and then.../lies down

(08-30-2015, 03:38 PM)Ashe Wrote:
(08-30-2015, 03:30 PM)Korin Wrote: Alex Normal when you're tanking and the DPS aren't doing their job, but all you can do is watch them flail about and kill all four alarums in the wrong places.

Trust me, it's bad for DPS who do know what their doing and then it's those one or two people who don't and then just conveniently don't say anything like "oh, it'll work out" that screw over the ones who do and then everyone gets mad and then it all goes to hell then vote abandon and then.../lies down

I have to admit...I've never really encountered any problems aside from my awful rolls in the rest of Alexander. I lost count of how many gordian shaft rolls I failed to win this week before I finally rolled a 99 and managed to win one! Hooray! At least it'll save me a daily EX or two, I suppose! *twitch*

But I CAN understand the DPS feeling. I play MCH on Korin (don't hate meee) and it's just cringey to see your fellow DPS failing to pick up mechanics. In one of my A4 runs I had the most vile bard...Who kept dancing around while the lasers were targetting him, getting himself killed, complaining that no one helped him, and then proceeding to whine at me for promoting my bishop instead of my rook because he needed TP - And shouting at the healers for running out of MP too fast...

(08-30-2015, 04:13 PM)Korin Wrote:
(08-30-2015, 03:38 PM)Ashe Wrote:

I have to admit...I've never really encountered any problems aside from my awful rolls in the rest of Alexander. I lost count of how many gordian shaft rolls I failed to win this week before I finally rolled a 99 and managed to win one! Hooray! At least it'll save me a daily EX or two, I suppose! *twitch*

But I CAN understand the DPS feeling. I play MCH on Korin (don't hate meee) and it's just cringey to see your fellow DPS failing to pick up mechanics. In one of my A4 runs I had the most vile bard...Who kept dancing around while the lasers were targetting him, getting himself killed, complaining that no one helped him, and then proceeding to whine at me for promoting my bishop instead of my rook because he needed TP - And shouting at the healers for running out of MP too fast...

Pfffffft...Gee, I wonder how the healers could gain their MP back... /sarcasm 
Bards are funny too. Many don't know how to use their songs. I am one of those bards hence why I don't actually use it EVER. I know I suck at Bard and I leveled it to 50 for the fancy gear for RP...and after that I was like "Man, I suck." and stopped. But hey, at least I had the common sense to know I sucked....

My rolls this week for the springs >.< ARGH. Got 1, 2, and 4 drops first day and took all week for floor 3. I did the asshole thing by taking people I knew who didn't need the drops to sit out the rolls and pressure people to leave >> Yup. I was an ass. But I was an a desperate ass .><

I don't blame you. It's awful, even after the extra loot was added - Just reminds you how unlucky your rolls can be...I'm pretty sure my first win, though, was a complete and utter joke - I rolled a 7, and...four other people rolled lower than that.

Levelling classes for fancy RP gear is an awful thing...It's why I end up blasting out so much gil onto my alts. Those crafting sets are adorable and they need them! They do!

...Honest! ;;

That time I rolled a 1...
I was just...nope. 
Plus for the springs in floor 3, it's like, 1-2 lenses/cranks and then only one spring >.<

That Au Ra....I invested so much gil into her for the 110 NIN/ROG top plus all of the gear 1-60. She's also 50 on SMN/SCH and I leveled Ninja AFTER the SMN/SCH was 50.
Like...she's no normal.
So much gil.
So much gear.
So many bad groups >.<

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Glacirus - 08-30-2015

(08-30-2015, 12:07 PM)Graeham Wrote: My experiences as a tank have generally been positive, even in random groups. I get the occasional bad group, yes, but it's not a constant issue. Though anybody considering a career as a tank - or a healer - needs to develop a thick skin if only to shield them whenever they do get a bad group.

I can say, as a healer, tanks get it worse than healers in my own experience. Maybe it's because I'm a half-decent healer that can keep everyone alive 95% of the time, or because I actually own up when it's my fuck-up that wipes us, but for every bit of hate/badmouthing I get from PUGs, I get 3-4 PUGs where the tank gets all the hate.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Desu Nee - 08-30-2015

I'm a terrible Machinist so I just want to apologize to whoever had to deal with me.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - SunTzu7 - 08-30-2015

Alex has been terrible in general this week, especially today where I ran Floor 3 seven times, each time rolling for the Spring in the high nineties and losing in every instance, but here's some general lessons to be learned.

1. If I or someone else does a Ready Check before the boss, do not decide you're going to be Main Tank by running in and pulling before the Ready Check is over.

2. If I go to pull Faust and you go to pull Faust at the same time, and I end up with more aggro than you when the first add appears, do not solidify your claim to Main Tank status by refusing to go pick up the adds.

3. If a bomb drops in Floor Two on one side of the party, it does not need to be dragged to the other side of the party. It especially does not need to be dragged through the middle of the party.

4. If you have a i160 weapon, and I have a i200 weapon, I am very likely to keep aggro despite your efforts to take it off me. Standing in the cleaves isn't helping your case.

5. Do not pull every single trash mob on Floor 3, then spam Unleash to hold them, if you can't then survive the resulting assault. 

5b. Burning all your MP doing Dark Arts Power Slash to pull Living Liquid off me is a great way to lose your Darkside.

5c. Doing that, then refusing to turn the hand on the party, expecting me to run up and save you by soaking with you, is immensely presumptuous.

5d. I'm sure that on some planet, doing Dark Arts Power Slash during my attempt at a tank swap while you have 8 stacks, and continuing to do that, is a wise strategy. This is Earth however, your death shouldn't really have surprised you.

5e. Doing it all again the next time we get partnered in DF did not prove you any more of a badass than the first time.

I suppose the overall lesson is, if you want to be the Main Tank, ask me if you can be the Main Tank before the pull. If you're a Dark Knight/Warrior and I'm a Paladin, I assume I'm the main because you will deal more damage than I will as an OT. But I will totally turn Sword Oath on if you ask first.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Laike - 08-30-2015

Was doing a lower level dungeon today. And someone said I should overpower more. Which I didn't really agree with but wasn't technically wrong either.

So I just responded, "Righto Guvnah!"

He didn't talk again and I'm pretty sure he commended me at the end of the instance.

I think people might be worried about offending a British guy.

Just a tip for all you tanks out there.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Eses Fafa - 08-30-2015

Well..today, I've been through a few dungeons to level myself to 59 as a DRG. ALL of my tanks failed to hold threat on the mobs they've been focusing. I'm not using any abilities that generate threat, and I'm not THAT good, so why is it that I can't find a good tank?!

(08-30-2015, 07:17 PM)Eses Fafa Wrote: Well..today, I've been through a few dungeons to level myself to 59 as a DRG. ALL of my tanks failed to hold threat on the mobs they've been focusing. I'm not using any abilities that generate threat, and I'm not THAT good, so why is it that I can't find a good tank?!

I'm starting to suspect some pugtanks have a mindset of "If I use defiance/grit/shield oath, I can spam my DPS combo" these days. It's terrifying...