Hydaelyn Role-Players
Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) (/showthread.php?tid=9323)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Steel Wolf - 01-24-2015

In defense of the graham cracker crust...

...I hate it too. It's actually stupendously boring and more expected than the Wacky Gay Guy or Sassy Black character in a sitcom. That said, it's because of its boringness that I prefer it.

Cheesecake has always been a favorite dessert because of its balance of a fresh, sweet topping or additives and smooth, creamy but almost sour flavor, like a fluffy and silky custard. It's the quintessential "not to sweet sweet", the dessert that closes a meal without punching you in the head with a boxing glove filled with sugar. I feel that a brownie or Oreo or other crazy-sweet crust would detract from that experience.

Granted, if you're making a really decadent or sweet cheesecake, then a sweet crust makes some sense too. And, ultimately, go nuts with whatever you love and enjoy putting together! But for my money, the graham cracker crust does what a crust of any good pie or cheesecake ought to do--transport the deliciousness from serving tin to plate to face.

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Kage - 01-27-2015

A southeast asian type of pho.... that my Thai/Laos friends have sorta made me.
[Image: 29cBAva.jpg]

Simple mapo tofu
[Image: TCmMW4Q.jpg]

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Kage - 02-11-2015

I got lazy but it's pretty delicious. I've taken the Knorr's easy rice sides/extras. Get it cookin and prepare a steak or chicken. Season steak and cook... or get chopped garlic in a pan with getting hot oil. Sautee garlic for a bit and throw chicken in. Get chicken in with the pretty close to done Knorr's rice.

Easy peasy ~10 min meal.

But er...

RESTAURANT WEEKS.

If you live in an area like me where there a few nice and kinda upscale restaurants... you'll also see things like Restaurant Weeks. They give you special deals... some do new menus.. etc. It's great!

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Kage - 02-11-2015

So apparently I can make this at home.
[Image: thumb_600.jpg?1317933274]

http://www.house-foods.com/sp/product/BCD+SOON+TOFU+HOT/

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Kage - 02-12-2015

There's this small office burger place that is only open during the week cause it's in the office buildings areas... THAT IS OPEN EVERYDAY

It's delicious and one of the first places I went to where I found out that I might actually enjoy burgers.

[Image: o.jpg]
This is a Habanero burger with fries and strawberry basil lemonade.

I want to get into making delicious burgers like these

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Melkire - 02-12-2015

If you're in the Los Angeles area and you have the time, there are two locations for Father's Office. They serve one of the most delicious burgers I've ever had.

[Image: fathers-office-burger.jpg]

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Kismet - 02-12-2015

(02-12-2015, 08:48 PM)Kage Wrote: There's this small office burger place that is only open during the week cause it's in the office buildings areas... THAT IS OPEN EVERYDAY

It's delicious and one of the first places I went to where I found out that I might actually enjoy burgers.

Damn, that is the perfect looking and sounding lunch right there, drink ESPECIALLY included! *jealous* Sad

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Unnamed Mercenary - 02-12-2015

(02-12-2015, 08:48 PM)Kage Wrote: There's this small office burger place that is only open during the week cause it's in the office buildings areas... THAT IS OPEN EVERYDAY

This just reminds me of how much I need to try the other burgers at that place. *cough* roaring 40s still best burger there *cough*

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Kage - 02-12-2015

Bleu cheese = no.

Horseradish = no for me too.

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Kage - 02-13-2015

Going to a Brazilian BBQ tonight!
Why tonight?
Because I fucked up Valentine's reservations. :/

http://www.agorachurrascaria.com/menu/

Speaking of meat, I love cooking a good ol' steak.

[Image: steaks-353x630.jpg]

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Kage - 02-13-2015

Pupusas! If someone has a homemade recipe that they already have, please share.

These are delicious little filled corn tortillas and I need to try making some myself.

Salvadoran Pupusas con Curtido

Makes 8 pupusas

2 cups masa harina
Pinch of salt
1 1/3 cup warm water
1 cup grated cheese: quesillo, queso fresco, Monterey Jack, or mozzarella
Vegetable oil
Curtido (see below)

Combine masa harina, salt, and water in a mixing bowl. Knead to form a smooth, moist dough with a playdough-like consistency. If the mixture is too dry, add more water, one teaspoon at a time. If the mixture is too sticky, add more masa harina, one teaspoon at a time. Cover the bowl with a clean towel and let stand for 10 minutes.

With lightly oiled hands, form the dough into 8 balls about 2 inches in diameter. Using your thumb, make an indentation into one of the balls, forming a small cup. Fill the cup with 1 tablespoon of cheese and wrap the dough around the filling to seal it. Making sure that the filling does not leak, pat the dough back and forth between your hands to form a round disk about 1/4-inch thick. Repeat with the remaining balls.

Heat a lightly oiled skillet over medium-high. Cook the pupusas for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown.

Serve warm with curtido on the side.

Notes:
• To substitute fresh masa, use 2 pounds.
• The cheese filling may be combined or substituted with refried beans or cooked pork (called chicharrón in El Salvador, but not to be confused with fried pork rind). Loroco flower buds are also a traditional accompaniment to cheese; look for them in the frozen food section or preserved in jars at Central American markets.

Curtido

Makes about 4 cups

1/2 head cabbage, shredded
1 large carrot, grated
1/2 onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon dried oregano (preferably Mexican)
1/2 to 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Combine the cabbage, carrot, and onion in a large bowl. Combine the remaining ingredients in a separate bowl and then pour over the cabbage mixture and stir.

Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and preferably at least a day before serving.

[Image: el-centro-loroco-pupusa-cheese-stretch.jpg]

Pupusa folding
[Image: steps.jpg]

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Kage - 02-19-2015

Has anyone here had any experience making fruit-type mousse?

I really wanna try making a passion fruit mousse.

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Unnamed Mercenary - 02-23-2015

So....a few might know I tried to make a sacher torte. I [mostly] failed, but it tasted great!

[Image: DasiAjR.jpg]
It rose a little too high, and cracked. ...I probably needed to use less batter and should have baked it a little drier. Then, post baking, inverted it to keep the fluffy sponge-cake-ish goodness.

[Image: tj01YKE.jpg]
It's almost amazing how many blunders you can hide with chocolate. ...unless that chocolate is also a blunder. I shoulda made sure I had heavy cream. ...and maybe probably have mixed the warm cream into the melted chocolate instead of trying to mix the melted chocolate into the near-boiling milk I used instead. ...shoulda been a LOT smoother. (and maybe have added just a tiny little bit of oil so it would have been glossy like the picture after cooling, instead of mostly-melting.

[Image: YYQhMlR.jpg]
In the end, it looked a bit rough, but the overall shape and taste were there? (I wouldn't know. I've never had a sacher torte before.)

Recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sacher-Torte/Detail.aspx

...next time, perhaps I'll use strawberry or cherry preserves instead.

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - QueenFrejyalen - 02-23-2015

Don't have any pics, but I just made some great multi-bean soup!

1 can of black beans (with liquid)
1 can of pinto beans (half the liquid)
1/2 cup cold water
1/3 a can of corn
palm full of lentils
season to taste with garlic powder, black pepper, salt, and maybe 3 drops of honey
edit:  I also added a dusting of starch to mix in to thicken it up~

Stir in a big pot, wait until it's hot, sprinkle cheddar cheese on top!

=D

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Kage - 02-23-2015

(02-23-2015, 08:19 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: sachertorte
You didn't post the worst looking picture