Hydaelyn Role-Players
Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) (/showthread.php?tid=9323)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Kage - 02-28-2015

I made the chili thing
[Image: yG48Cov.jpg]

I need to buy cheese.

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Steel Wolf - 02-28-2015

Can I talk sushi for a moment?

I just love sushi...and I wish I lived in a place that wasn't near horrifyingly polluted lakes, because I really REALLY wish I could buy my own sashimi-grade fish and learn how to roll my own maki and zushi and just eat me some pretty, delicious raw fishies.

That's the one worst part about the area that I live in...getting to good sushi is a 40 minute drive for me at minimum. Surrounded by apple orchards and microbreweries, but barely any sashimi to be found.

Sorry, I had to whine.

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Kage - 02-28-2015

If you were in the Los Angeles/Orange County area of California I would bring you to a decently priced sushi place. AYCE.

The problem eating there? How am I supposed to get the rice cause the fish portion is so big?

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Steel Wolf - 02-28-2015

That's sweet as hell of you, but I'm in central New York...so not only in location but in climate, I couldn't be further removed from Orange County unless I was on Mars.

...I miss you, sushi... :<

Just making it...it looks like an art. Like there's focus and care and attention required to put even basic-ass zushi together, let alone the more elegant rolls. I've never rolled rice before, or worked with nori. I'd love to learn to, though.

Someday...

If you can try to get to one of the Hmarts.

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Mae - 03-07-2015

I don't think I'll ever bake a cake in the oven again.

[Image: 54fb90df22c39212ce2ee0f2.jpg]
My husband and I have been in a hotel room for just under a week now while we wait for a new truck, so we've been able to do a lot more when it comes to cooking than normal. Last night we were both in a mood for cake, but 1) it was late at night and 2) the good bakeries in town are in places we can't get to with a bobtail semi. This morning, he saw something on Facebook in a trucker-related group about cooking banana bread in lunchbox ovens and rice cookers, and asked me if I thought I could do the same with a cake. So, I gave it a try with a basic cake mix that I was able to pick up at Walmart.

The downside: It takes a while, and you have to keep turning on the rice cooker. The FB group said to cook the banana bread on "Steam" mode in a rice cooker, but the steam mode on mine only works for five or so minutes at a time. So I switched to "White Rice". This took just about three cycles to do (almost an hour and a half once I realized that steam mode wouldn't work), the FB group warned that it could take up to five cycles on steam mode so I think this was an improvement.

The upside: Ohmygodsit'ssomoistanddense..! The end result is very similar to what I remember my great-grandparent's steamed puddings to be like. My husband described it at "sponge-y", and actually said the frosting was unnecessary -- he would've been happy with just a bit of powdered sugar.

Method:
-- Prepare cake batter (again, I used a basic chocolate mix from Walmart).
-- Spray the inside of the interior pan with non-stick spray (possibly unnecessary if the interior pan is already non-stick, I just didn't want to chance a mess). Do not flour.
-- Pour in batter. The cake will rise a lot, so you want to fill the pan no more than halfway.
-- Place interior pan into cooker, and turn on the cooker. If you have multiple settings, use "White Rice".
-- Allow cooker to finish first cycle, open to check for done-ness. Likely they won't be done, but check anyways. It'll likely be puffed up, but still rather liquid-y.
-- Reset cooker, and let it run for another cycle. Check again, though again likely won't be done yet. Mine started looking a little set around the sides at this point.
-- Reset cooker again. About halfway through the cycle, check. This is when mine started really looking cooked around the edges, but the middle was still very liquid. I checked again at five minutes before the cycle ended, and at this point the center was set and sprung back when touched.
-- If needed, reset cooker yet again. Check every five or so minutes; you only want to cook until the center sets and springs back
-- Remove interior pan, let it cool on the counter for fifteen-twenty minutes before taking it out of the pan. Getting it out of the pan should be easy-easy, just tip it upside down and the cake should slide right out.

When I get off the truck in a few months, I'm totally trying this again with a homemade cake batter recipe. Vanilla cake with strawberries and peaches... and some whipped cream...

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Steel Wolf - 03-08-2015

So I found this lovely YouTube user called RunnyRunny999...just a really lovely Japanese man showing how to make a bunch of nice Japanese dishes.

I have to sit and write things down to convert his measurements from metric to standard, or at least try to eyeball his amounts to a close approximation....but despite that, his stuff looks great.

Check him out. Or, if anyone else has any good YT chefs they can recommend, I'd be all about it. :3

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Kismet - 03-08-2015

(03-08-2015, 08:14 AM)Steel Wolf Wrote: So I found this lovely YouTube user called RunnyRunny999...just a really lovely Japanese man showing how to make a bunch of nice Japanese dishes.

I have to sit and write things down to convert his measurements from metric to standard, or at least try to eyeball his amounts to a close approximation....but despite that, his stuff looks great.

Check him out.  Or, if anyone else has any good YT chefs they can recommend, I'd be all about it.   :3

I'm subscribed to him as well! He's super sweet and very polite. And his cute accent is d'aww~ Like him a lot. <3

A very underrated YT cooking duo I'd like to spotlight is Brothers Green Eats. They come up with a lot of creative ways to use and/or combine ingredients you may not have thought of before... or cook things using methods you may not have thought of. They've been on TV a couple of times before, as well (Chopped, Rachel Ray, and were hosts of some MTV food special). Very fun to watch.

Here's a list of other cooking channels I follow that're a bit more popular:

Show Content

...I'd add more, but we'd be here all day. I... I really like food channels, okay?!

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Kage - 03-08-2015

https://www.youtube.com/user/cookingwithdog

I love cooking with dog

Even if I can't use or make most of it.

Or have to use google to convert.

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Ciel - 03-14-2015

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/brownie_in_a_mug/

I've done this a few times.  Quick, simple, and a nice treat when you want a quick hit of chocolate without making a whole batch.  Only thing I did differently is I didn't have cocoa powder, so I tried using hot cocoa mix and it worked just as well.

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Mae - 03-17-2015

Has anyone tried something like this?

"Shakshouka": Poached Eggs in Tomato Sauce, on Toast
[Image: baked-eggs-in-tomato-sauce-1-1.jpg]

I keep seeing this recipe on a food blog, and I love a good tomato sauce and I love poached eggs, and I eat eggs more commonly as a savory/lunch-or-dinner item than a sweet breakfast one... and it's something I can make in the rice cooker. I'm just curious if anyone's tried something along these lines already.

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Kage - 03-20-2015

Sorry, I'm not a very big fan of tomato based sauces without a lot of additives that will cut into the... acidity? Not sure how to describe it.

So I found this recipe here and it looks delicious.

But beer. @_@

[Image: tumblr_nli5p3XWna1sn5m44o3_1280.jpg]

http://cafedelites.com/2015/03/19/crispy-beer-chicken-with-a-creamy-beer-mushroom-gravy/

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Nebbs - 03-20-2015

Kagen Gumbo? (edit: I totally thought I was in another topic oops!)

[Image: Chicken-and-Smoked-Sausage-Gumbo.jpg]

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Maril - 04-26-2015

I just got home from my brothers confirmation. I am tired and fat. We had meringue cakes, almond-vanilla cookies, chocolate chip cookies, homemade icecream with vanilla and chocolate pieces.. And then we had this glorious, glorious thing.. 

[Image: 11174437_10153291384233901_6311061619534861574_o.jpg]

Brownies and strawberries. Soft and almost liquid on the inside. Topped with confectioners sugar.

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Kage - 05-08-2015

I wish I could even eat some of the dark chocolate sweets people have.

Another dish I love but is not easy to just cook myself..

Taiwanese Beef (tendon) Noodle Soup.

I prefer tendon because it's so tasty.
[Image: beef-noodle-soup.jpg]

The best ones are when you get noodles that are essentially called "knife shaved" noodles. Big, wide. Mmmmm ; ;

[Image: img_7430.jpg]
[Image: img_0831.jpg]

The pickled sour mustard that goes with. NNGHHH!!