Hydaelyn Role-Players
Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) (/showthread.php?tid=9323)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Merai the Vixen - 05-08-2015

Husband and I are on Atkins currently...its been 2 months now.

That means: no carbs (bread, rice, pasta, potatoes), no sugars (which actually eliminates some vegetables such as carrots, squash, peas). 

I'm definitely in a rut. I'm getting tired of bacon and eggs every morning, and some version of a salad every lunch. 

But...one of my favourite chicken dishes is:

Chicken breast stuffed with feta and spinach. 

Just sautee some spinach (I use a whole bag since it wilts down pretty quickly), with a small diced onion in butter or oil. Once it's cooked through and wilted, let it cool completely. 

Slice into a breast of chicken to make a pocket (Or if you're feeling fancy, you can pound it out and roll it with the filling inside). 

Crumble some feta into the spinach mixture, and stuff it into the pocket/chicken and roll it. 

Wrap in bacon. Because everything is fucking better with bacon. 

You can pan fry it, but makes sure to finish it in the oven to be sure it's cooked...I just oven roast mine.

Soooooo delicious, and easy. Definitely a good one if you want to impress someone.

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Kage - 05-08-2015

Sorry to pry! I don't quite believe in diets like those; I'm just worried. How do you feel? light, energized? Tired?

Something really simple my mom taught me was a little EVOO, salt, pepper, ginger and swordfish. Poor something like black vinegar or soysauce and vinegar on it~ Yum.

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Merai the Vixen - 05-08-2015

I understand that, but please believe me when I say I spend more time and energy debating/defending the diet than I do actually WANTING to be on it. 

I'm doing it to support my husband, and while I have had some success with it, I'm only saying I'm getting bored. Frustrated

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Kage - 05-08-2015

Ohh sorry! ^^ I'm just wondering because I myself need to do better and so I've always felt "personal testimonies" were better than blogs or commercials. I apologize.

No carbs is mean ; ; I grew up on rice and noodles Sad

[youtube]6cQ03qs6BNI[/youtube]

I'm sorry Kage...I thought you were getting ready to ridicule/rant at me about the particular diet.

Basically I've lost 16lbs so far (been doing it two months), and my husband has lost around the same. I do feel good about it, but eating the same types of food over and over can be tedious, disappointing, and disheartening. 

We do have days where we allow ourselves special meals or things we miss, but I'd say that's once every 3 weeks or so.

ETA: Hnnnnghhhhhhhhhhhh noodles are so good v_v I'm a sucker for Asian cuisine.

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Meena - 05-08-2015

(05-08-2015, 12:13 PM)Merai the Vixen Wrote: I'm sorry Kage...I thought you were getting ready to ridicule/rant at me about the particular diet.

Basically I've lost 16lbs so far (been doing it two months), and my husband has lost around the same. I do feel good about it, but eating the same types of food over and over can be tedious, disappointing, and disheartening. 

We do have days where we allow ourselves special meals or things we miss, but I'd say that's once every 3 weeks or so.

ETA: Hnnnnghhhhhhhhhhhh noodles are so good v_v I'm a sucker for Asian cuisine.
as someone who has medical parents don't just stay on your diet. It's always good to reboot your metabolism once every few weeks by eating some carbs.

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Mae - 05-08-2015

On Atkins, do you have to be 100% carb-free, or does it allow for foods that have a high protein-to-carb ratios? My husband was on a low-carb, high protein diet and (combined with 15 minutes of exercise a day) lost almost 40 pounds in 14 weeks, and one of the things that was stressed with his diet was that if he couldn't avoid carbs, he had to balance it with high protein.

Shirataki noodles (you find these where tofu is kept in most grocery stores and Super Wal-Marts) are zero-carb (they're pretty close to zero-everything), and as long as you do your research correctly they can sub in for Italian-style pasta as easily as they work for Asian dishes. Knowing how to prep them is key, though -- my husband nearly threw up the first time because we didn't know that they needed to be rinsed a LOT as soon as you take them out of the bag.

Buckwheat, quinoa, flax, chickpeas, and chia have high protein-to-carb ratios. A little work, they can all be used to make a nice rice substitute. Or a granola substitute. Or flour substitute. Or oatmeal substitute... they can substitute a lot of things. Just don't count on them for anything that requires a gluten property.

Berries (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries) have a different type of sugar than other fruit, and are good for low-carb diets, pre-diabetics, and people with type-2 diabetes. Pineapple, too. And watermelon. If you're the type that typically likes to sprinkle sugar on your strawberries to get rid of the bitterness... swap it for (believe it or not) Celtic grey or Himalayan pink salts.
-- Salt trick also works for grapefruit, but citrus is something you should avoid on a low-carb/pre-diabetic/type-2 diabetic diet. Bananas, stone fruits, and melons (except watermelons) should also be avoided on these types of diets.

Large lettuce leaves can sub for bread in cold-cut sandwiches/wraps. And fajitas/tacos. And then there's lettuce cups. Similarly, you can use long, patted-dry strips of cucumber flesh wrapped around rolled up cold-cuts.

Hope some of this helps for getting around the rut.

... I have a recipe somewhere for a "chocolate pudding" that's actually made with avocados that's supposed to be really good and can be frozen into fudgesicles...

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - LiadansWhisper - 05-10-2015

(05-08-2015, 11:55 PM)Mae Wrote: On Atkins, do you have to be 100% carb-free, or does it allow for foods that have a high protein-to-carb ratios? My husband was on a low-carb, high protein diet and (combined with 15 minutes of exercise a day) lost almost 40 pounds in 14 weeks, and one of the things that was stressed with his diet was that if he couldn't avoid carbs, he had to balance it with high protein.

If I remember correctly, there's a 2 week period where you completely cut out carbs, but then you can introduce certain ones back in. But I might be thinking of the South Beach diet.

On a brighter note, I am not on Atkins currently but I'm making the effort to completely cut added sugar out of my diet.  Fruits in moderation are fine, because they have pulp (which is fiber, which prevents your body from using the sugar immediately).  But anything like fruit juice or white bread or potatoes are out.

----

This: 

[Image: CA0C3hJVAAE8i5E.jpg]

Becomes this after about 30 minutes:

[Image: CA0aaR2UsAAOFZ_.jpg]

Recipe is basically lentils with chicken broth, chicken, carrots, onions, celery, garlic, and I think some peppers (usually poblano or jalapeno) with spices, over Brown Rice.

Also, one of my favorite food groups (BBQ!):

[Image: B7RZ9iYIYAIBH4U.jpg]

And of course, Cane's Chicken Fingers (which are sinfully delicious):

[Image: B2brJITCcAAnn5u.jpg]

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Fox - 05-10-2015

Don't like tomatoes but...
This is an image I did for an ad campaign this semester.
I have some chard and corn but they're not as nice looking
Figured someone out there might like these;

[Image: 1431240433_TOMATO.jpg]

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Nako Vesh - 05-10-2015

I'm on Keto, which is similar to Atkins, but after the induction phase you can have up to something like around 50g of carbs a day (though you'll want to stay at around 20 if you want to continue to loose weight, but different bodies tolerate more). Basically the diet consists of high healthy fats, moderate protein, and low carbs. I actually feel amazing on it! The healthy fats seem to give me soooooo much more energy than carbs do, plus I feel like I still get to have treats. One of my favorites are these low carb lemon bars. Soooo lemony.

In my experience if you're feeling crappy on a low carb diet you're either not getting enough water, salt, and/or magnesium. Once you've put your body into ketosis it starts flushing out water like crazy, and you absolutely have to keep up with that or you'll weight loss will slow, and more importantly, you'll feel like crap.

I've made almost all the recipes here on my Pinterest, and people are always coming up with so many creative ways to substitute carbs that I really don't get bored. The only thing I REALLY miss is pho tai... ;_;

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - LiadansWhisper - 05-10-2015

I've heard that when you're on the Keto diet, your breath is extremely gross.

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Nako Vesh - 05-10-2015

(05-10-2015, 04:00 AM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: I've heard that when you're on the Keto diet, your breath is extremely gross.

It's certainly known to happen, but my boyfriend would definitely tell me (and poke fun) if that was the case with me. lol

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Merai the Vixen - 05-10-2015

(05-10-2015, 03:35 AM)Nako Vesh Wrote: I'm on Keto, which is similar to Atkins, but after the induction phase you can have up to something like around 50g of carbs a day (though you'll want to stay at around 20 if you want to continue to loose weight, but different bodies tolerate more). Basically the diet consists of high healthy fats, moderate protein, and low carbs. I actually feel amazing on it! The healthy fats seem to give me soooooo much more energy than carbs do, plus I feel like I still get to have treats. One of my favorites are these low carb lemon bars. Soooo lemony.

In my experience if you're feeling crappy on a low carb diet you're either not getting enough water, salt, and/or magnesium. Once you've put your body into ketosis it starts flushing out water like crazy, and you absolutely have to keep up with that or you'll weight loss will slow, and more importantly, you'll feel like crap.

I've made almost all the recipes here on my Pinterest, and people are always coming up with so many creative ways to substitute carbs that I really don't get bored. The only thing I REALLY miss is pho tai... ;_;

I'll have a look at your pinterest! But you're absolutely right, on the 'induction' phase you are only allowed about 20g of carbs per day. Hubby and I are kinda out of that, but we only eat the 'OWL' (ongoing weight loss) foods every so often like almonds, berries, etc. 

I think I'm definitely not drinking enough water. That has alllllwaaaays been one of my biggest downfalls - I drink a shit ton of Pepsi Max or other sugar free fizzy drinks. I know I KNOW before you all lecture me...it's not good, sweetners are bad, blah blah blah. It's my ONE vice. I don't drink coffee, I don't drink tea, I don't smoke, I don't drink alcohol. Let me have my Pepsi Max Sad

But yeah, I definitely need to start making enough effort to drink water.

I had a salad with chicken, cheese and bits of bacon in it today at work. But two girls sat across from me with bags of McDonalds and McFlurries. I wanted to cry. Sad

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Merai the Vixen - 05-10-2015

(05-10-2015, 04:00 AM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: I've heard that when you're on the Keto diet, your breath is extremely gross.

Your breath can get bad on Atkins also (I think they're the same diet?) I have a tooth brush and tooth paste and mouthwash at work in my locker, and make it a point to have breath mints in my pocket.

RE: Foods! Delicious Foods. Please share them (recipes?pics?) with me (everyone) - Steel Wolf - 05-31-2015

Guys. Guys guys guys.

I FOUND AN ASIAN FOODS MARKET WITH SO MANY THINGS HOLY CRAP.

I've quite literally expanded my food-making possibilities by at least three times, but I'm just not sure where to start. There are a couple of YouTube channels I've subscribed to that have some delightful-looking Japanese dishes, but I'm just not sure where to start. Especially now as we're entering the summer time.

Anyone here have suggestions? :3